Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shortcut to power
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  23:03:22  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are the shortcuts to power for the various charachter classes. Please feel free to cite actual examples from the Forgotten realms.

For a Cleric to become a powerful Priest. Performing a special extemely difficult and rewarding service for his God? Or I guess simply becoming "Chosen"?

For a fighter or a Thief? Not sure if there are any shortcuts other than loads of practice... Would a spell of permanancy cast on a potion of Super heriosm imbided by a fighter grant an everlasting effect?

For a Mage to make the leap to Arch Mage. Certain grimours allow this correct? Also there are certain extremely rare gems that store troves of Spells and other secrets the could launch the Spellcaster into a new Statosphere of power without having to spend decades adventuring and/or studying?

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  00:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It may be just me, but this sounds more like a question for the WotC Character Optimization boards.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  12:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
unless of course your school has blocked the link

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  15:02:56  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aravine, I'm guessing that was posted in the wrong thread? =)

As for the original poster, in what parameters are you talking about? In game mechanics, you do need to go to the Character Optimization forum, but nothing you've mentioned would be found there really.

If you are talking about from a roleplaying sort. The shortest way to power is to stumble upon a dragon hoard, or marry into a royal family.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  15:11:19  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can ask your DM to start a campaign directly at high level ?

The DM could do it in every way he wants if the goal is to retire the now "powerful" PC as a NPC.

Otherwise, D&D is not the best game to do an "Erevis Cale" except maybe in a solo-player campaign.

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 Nov 2007 16:36:25
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2007 :  17:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite way of getting powerful in a campaign is skills like diplomacy and appraise. Find NPCs of similar alignment and make them friendly to you. Use these skills to become a figure in a town or city at this point you yourself do not have to be amazingly great you have friends you can call in favors from and resources at your disposal.

Plus its all RP based!

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 16 Nov 2007 17:38:12
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  14:58:19  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

What are the shortcuts to power for the various charachter classes.

make good friends and allies and stay loyal to them

Dead easy

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000