Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bane, Bhaal, & Myrkul in Ironfang Keep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:09:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

***************From the recent article on wizards web site********

Ironfang Keep was again occupied in -981 DR when Haask, a monstrous greathorn minotaur (Monster Manual IV), declared himself priest-king and claimed the basalt fortress as the capitol of his burgeoning new kingdom, Grong-Haap. Over the next six-hundred years Grong-Haap slowly expanded to cover the modern-day wastes of Thar, the eastern Moonsea, and northern highlands of the Vast. With only an occasional clash with the elves of Cormanthyr or the orcs of Vastar, the minotaur kingdom enjoyed a level of civilization not common among their kind. Then in the late winter months of the Year of Craven Words (-350 DR), a goblinoid horde one-hundred-thousand strong marched against Grong-Haap from the Tortured Lands in the icy north.

Issuing an utterance in a tongue not spoken on Toril since the Days of Thunder, Haask summoned forth an elder manifestation of absolute evil and sick malevolence. Hargut of the Gray Pestilence surveyed the battlefield before turning his undying gaze upon the priest-king. Speaking a powerful recitation of command, Haask then ordered the Gray Pestilence to scatter the invaders and defend the keep. Tens of thousands died that day before the walls of Ironfang Keep, their flesh fed into Hargut’s voracious maw and their souls consigned to an eternity in the Barrens of Doom and Despair.

By dusk the battle was all but won and Haask returned triumphantly to the keep to feast and rest. Inside, the priest-king was stunned to discover two grim looking humans sitting nonchalantly upon his giant-crafted throne. Before Haask could react, a third assassin appeared behind the priest-king, driving a simple iron blade through his back and into his heart. As his life energy pumped into the enchanted dagger, Haask’s form began to shift revealing his true nature as a batrachi-doppelganger. The mysterious trio later exited the keep heading upriver toward the Glacier of the White Wyrm and beyond. Grong-Haap soon collapsed, and for a time Ironfang Keep again fell out of memory.

Using a simple iron blade.... 3 individuals... -350 DR (they were killing Borem in -359)... headed North like they were trying to find the mystical place where you can become immortal? Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:49:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Using a simple iron blade.... 3 individuals... -350 DR (they were killing Borem in -359)... headed North like they were trying to find the mystical place where you can become immortal? Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul?

That is interesting. I never thought of that......... but now that you put it so blundly....

To quote Brians article:

'The mysterious trio later exited the keep heading upriver toward the Glacier of the White Wyrm and beyond. '

'The dark three — a shadowy assassin, the brooding necromancer, and the dour warlord — presented an offer to the dying priest-king[...].'

And from the History of the Dead Three: 'Knucklebones, skull bowling, and the empty throne' (is this canon?):

'The trio then journeyed into the Gray Waste and sought out the Castle of Bone.[...]'

'[...] "I claim this throne of evil," shouted Bane the tyrant. "I'll destroy you before you can raise a finger," threatened Bhaal the assassin. "And I shall imprison your essence for eternity," promised Myrkul the necromancer.[...]'

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Nov 2007 20:01:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:55:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think this passage comfirms who it is:

quote:
The dark three—a shadowy assassin, the brooding necromancer, and the dour warlord

BTW, the article is located at http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20071107a and you must be logged in to read it (this is for those who missed it and are wondering what we're talking about).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  20:02:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, I think this passage comfirms who it is:

quote:
The dark three—a shadowy assassin, the brooding necromancer, and the dour warlord

BTW, the article is located at http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20071107a and you must be logged in to read it (this is for those who missed it and are wondering what we're talking about).

Now, you beat me while I was editing... but good arguements can always be stated a second time, IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  20:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, I also enjoy learning more about the Dark Three.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  20:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What makes this even more interesting is the fact that sometime later, Haask became one of the "lesser powers" that served the Great Tyrannt. So Haask apparently ended up serving one of the mortals who killed him. I find that perfectly in keeping with what we know about Bane. What a wonderful ploy - kill a diety, take a share of his divine essence, and then force him into serving you once you assend to godhood. Is it any wonder Bane makes such agood villian.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  23:05:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

And from the History of the Dead Three: 'Knucklebones, skull bowling, and the empty throne' (is this canon?):
Indeed, it is canon. 'Tis copied from the entry for "Bane" in Faiths & Avatars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  09:25:52  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would make a great campaign - freeing Haask, Voice of Hargut and also 'resurrecting' Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud (as was hinted at in Faiths and Patheons, p. 170). Tose two might turn against Bane and his worshippers, thereby weakening the tyrants worship in the realms significantly. Which gods clergy would benefit from such a plan and esp. follow through such a dangerous and vile plot (thinking of all the innocent suffering under the presence of Haask and Borem in the Moonsea region).

While we are at it: what powers would those tow have once freed? The powers of demigods (divine rank 0)?

Go to Top of Page

David E
Seeker

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  18:01:01  Show Profile  Visit David E's Homepage Send David E a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Demigod would make sense, although their divine rank would be at least 1 - divine rank 0 is a quasi-deity (aka hero-deity).
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  14:55:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Excellent post! thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000