Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why I love my realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Francius
Acolyte

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  20:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Francius's Homepage Send Francius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Recently on the Wotc site,my eye caught some debates over D&D's two primary campaign worlds.Posts in those threads soon started to heat off.
Instead of joining the insults bandwagon throwing puns at the Eberron setting, I held my own with a few lines that came into my mind drawn form the innumerable moments of reading,playing,joking,eating,drinking over a Realms' novel,game session,campaign expansion,geographical accessory shared with my best friends' company.

I 'd like to share those lines with the rest of you too.

Why do I choose the Forgotten Realms?

Because I want my axe-swinging dwarves dwelling inside huge mountain ranges curving kingdoms out of living stone.
Elves residing under thick tree canopies inside lush forests using wood and glass architecture.
Halflings sweating happily during a rich harvest for a place in the world and the betterment of their own race.
Humans with their ambitious and competitive nature raising kingdom after kingdom only to see them vanishing in an eye-blink.
Dragons of all colours roaming freely the skies.
Nations relying wholeheartedly and entirely in the use of magic while rivaling each other over its absorbing secrets.
Dark denizens scheming in their natural underground caves filled with stalactites over world dominance...
......oh, and infinite unfolding stories about characters starting from zero and then achieving epic status whilst performing mythical acts.Lots of them.

I love my world.

Why do you love yours?

Aren't Humans' lives short enough without wasting precious time worrying about revenge?

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  06:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like mine because it's mine.

I like mine because it and what goes on in it are --like any other Realms campaign-- far more important than the body of published Realmslore it is drawn from.

And for the sake of irony/equality/fairness/whatever....I’m due to begin a Sunday Eberron game, and I'll be a better gamer for it, no doubt.

Take from that what you will!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 07 Sep 2006 06:53:12
Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  12:27:16  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well stated Francius! I agree with your musings. Those are many of the same reasons why i love the Realms also.

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  12:38:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reasons are simply a combination of Francius' and Sanishivers reasons. I like the basics the realms sat forth and the wholeness my own imagination created( for me personally).
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  14:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Realms because it is thick with possibilities, there are tons of stories you can become interested in, and it is diverse. I like the way Ed Greenwood encourages players to make the Realms their own. The designers have fostered a great amount of Realmslore and communicate with players on a regular basis. Excellent writers and designers have worked to make fantastic storylines to follow up on and that keeps players on their toes. It just seems to be the most complete campaign setting out there. Bar none! I love the Realms and that is that! Thanks every one for making my Realms experience always awesome. Candlekeep rocks!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  15:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Realms because aside from having a major fun time playing and DMing in them, and reading lots and lots of Realms, the stuff I have acquired so far adds even more insulation in the bookshelves to my appartment.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  15:55:57  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why did I choose the Realms (I started roleplaying right before the gray box)? I found Grayhawk too dry for my tastes and Dragonlance to confining...When I started roleplaying in the Realms it was everything I wanted in a RPG

I really don't have the time on why I love the Realms but I think the best way to express my feelings is that if I had to choose which D&D campaign world I would live in...I would choose the Realms

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  18:38:24  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Detail.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  19:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Realms because it started me gaming.

I love my Realms because it started me writing.

I love my Realms because it started me publishing.

I love my Realms because it's kept me doing all three.

To get more specific: The Forgotten Realms makes for, quite simply, the most developed, detailed, and life-like fantasy world, limitless in its possibility and inspiration, tied to so many of my thoughts, memories, and feelings. It's only a fantasy world, sure, but it's MY fantasy world. . . just as it is all of yours.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2006 :  20:12:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Realms because everything has a story, and unlike my hearing in this world, I'm able to hear every one I care to.

I love the Realms because it brought me two great mentors (Ed & Jeff) who are marvelous people and great friends (as well as skilled writers and creators too).

Almost everything I know about writing and world building comes from Ed, Jeff, and the Realms.

And for that I'll be eternally grateful.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  02:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to list Erik and Steve as two guys that make the Realms kick ass. Keep writing guys!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  04:31:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my realms because I am free to make it "my realms" There is enough lore to be able to pick and choose what best fits for me and my group, and still be a world with lots of adventure for everyone
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  05:13:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love my Realms because I never thought I needed a campaign setting until I read the Old Grey Boxed set. I thought before that that a campaign setting was for people that didn't have enough imagination to make their own setting. Then I read through the boxed set, and suddenly I had a thousand more ideas for campaigns than I ever had before.

I love my Realms because when I started reading Waterdeep and the North I was facinated with the setting even more. Not only was I facinated, but I wanted the sourcebook to keep going on and on and on.

Although I already loved it by this point in time, I gained a whole new perspective on the setting when I read Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. As I read that sourcebook, I could see the streets and the neighborhoods, and I could picture day to day life in the city. Not just the spell battles and the things creeping up into Dock Ward from the bay, or the things in the sewers, or the crypts in the City of the Dead, but the merchants and the porters and the guardsman and watchmen, the innkeeps and the moneylenders.

I loved Peirgeiron and Khelben and Mirt before this, but after VGtW I loved their city as well. That was when I realized that the setting didn't just inspire my creativity, and I didn't just feel an attatchment to the characters, but to the whole setting, the whole world.

At any rate, I've prattled on enough about this, but the Realms really do feel like home to me, and I really feel attatched to them. Not only do I care about the people, but I care about the place as a whole. To everyone that has worked on this setting, thank you, because that is quite an accomplishment.
Go to Top of Page

Francius
Acolyte

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  13:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Francius's Homepage Send Francius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I started this thread I didn't have the slightest idea I would draw two of the Realms' designers&authors attention.

Mr. Schend and Mr. Scott de Bie,as this being the first time we talk I 'd like to say I 'm much pleased to make your acquaintanceship.

Keep the Realms at the wave's crest.

Aren't Humans' lives short enough without wasting precious time worrying about revenge?

Edited by - Francius on 08 Sep 2006 14:05:05
Go to Top of Page

Francius
Acolyte

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  13:48:59  Show Profile  Visit Francius's Homepage Send Francius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver
And for the sake of irony/equality/fairness/whatever....I’m due to begin a Sunday Eberron game, and I'll be a better gamer for it, no doubt.

J. Grenemyer

I 'll take from your post that you're just joking.

The Eberron world can't match the value of the Realm's little toe fingerprint.

If you think you'll be a better gamer for that Eberron setting then it's only because that world is much smaller,the local characters are much weaker,there are less places to visit and less nations to lead, thus allowing an average gamer to have an easier time dealing with it...

Edited by - Francius on 08 Sep 2006 13:58:59
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  14:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Francius

When I started this thread I didn't have the slightest idea I would draw two of the Realms' designers&authors attention.

Hey -- good thread.

quote:
Mr. Schend and Mr. Scott de Bie,as this being the first time we talk I 'd like to say I 'm much pleased to make your acquaintanceship.

And yours as well, good sir, though I must insist that you call me simply "Erik." Mr. de Bie (whose first name is, actually, Scott) is quite definitely my father.

quote:

I'm honored and very pleased that you think of us thusly! I know both Steven and I so endeavor, to do our little part.

I say little, because bear in mind that the realms is the masterwork of quite a number of talented minds -- designers, authors, editors, illustrators, publishers, and -- perhaps most important of all -- readers. Without you guys -- to game, to read, to critique and to praise -- and without sites like Candlekeep, the Realms would totally be lost. And that's part of what makes it great.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2006 :  16:13:47  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Hey -- good thread.

quote:

And yours as well, good sir, though I must insist that you call me simply "Erik." Mr. de Bie (whose first name is, actually, Scott) is quite definitely my father.

quote:

I'm honored and very pleased that you think of us thusly! I know both Steven and I so endeavor, to do our little part.

I say little, because bear in mind that the realms is the masterwork of quite a number of talented minds -- designers, authors, editors, illustrators, publishers, and -- perhaps most important of all -- readers. Without you guys -- to game, to read, to critique and to praise -- and without sites like Candlekeep, the Realms would totally be lost. And that's part of what makes it great.

Cheers

Erik said what was on my mind as well--we're only as good as those with whom we work and with whom we share the love of the setting. Kudos to all who love the Realms and want others to share it.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  19:08:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never understood much the "I like X because I can make it MINE" philosophy, much. You could do the same thing with any other campaign setting. That really doesn't explain why you like THE REALMS. It mostly just says that you like enforcing your own desires on everything...

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  20:40:01  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any DM will have his own picture of the realms, one has to make choices and changes to both the canon and the world as the years go by. The whole game is based on the mixture of ones own imagination and the published material. If you can not make it yours the enjoyment and creativity becomes strongly stifled, This goes for any one writing or playing in the realms. Ed created the realms, every one else has to make it theirs one way or another.
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  21:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

I've never understood much the "I like X because I can make it MINE" philosophy, much. You could do the same thing with any other campaign setting. That really doesn't explain why you like THE REALMS. It mostly just says that you like enforcing your own desires on everything...
Is that so? Get some more years of consistent DMing experience under your belt, and you'll figure it out eventually.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  22:17:39  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the realms because its created just like anyone elses game by one person (the almighty Ed Greenwood) but it has bloomed beyond that it grows daily as others add to it and help sculpt and shape it. It is like a living thing, unlike Greyhawk which seems too dull and grey to me kinda like a husk of a world, and Dragonlance while i love the concept never seems to live up to its potential. As for ebberron, well i have yet to make up my mind, it will never equal the realms to me, but it could (because i see elements i like in it) become its own world and its own living thing, hopefully it will achieve the example and glory similar to the Realms but thats a big task fi you ask me.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  22:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is that so? Get some more years of consistent DMing experience under your belt, and you'll figure it out eventually.

J. Grenemyer

I think Sanishiver says it best. DM'ing can be tough when your expected to play exactly by the book. Ed says make the Realms your own and frankly Ed knows what he is talking about.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  23:04:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think Sanishiver says it best. DM'ing can be tough when your expected to play exactly by the book. Ed says make the Realms your own and frankly Ed knows what he is talking about.

Which still has nothing to do with what I said. I see no reason why one cannot or should not alter aspects of the Realms to fit one's personal tastes. But just because you CAN do that isn't a reason to love the Realms above other settings, since you can do that with EVERY campaign setting.

That's what I want to know. Because you can "make something your own," while entirely laudable and understandable, does not really answer the question, "Why do you like something?" You can make everything your own. What is it about the REALMS specifically that in some way facilitates you in making them your own, moreso than in another campaign setting?

I just think that that kind of reply is entirely shapeless. It's like asking, "Why is chicken your favorite kind of food?" and answering "Because I can prepare it in so many different ways!" Well, you can do that with a LOT of things. What is it about CHICKEN that you like?

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 09 Sep 2006 23:09:29
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2006 :  23:16:54  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Recently on the Wotc site,my eye caught some debates over D&D's two primary campaign worlds.Posts in those threads soon started to heat off.
Instead of joining the insults bandwagon throwing puns at the Eberron setting, I held my own with a few lines that came into my mind drawn form the innumerable moments of reading,playing,joking,eating,drinking over a Realms' novel,game session,campaign expansion,geographical accessory shared with my best friends' company.

I 'd like to share those lines with the rest of you too.

Why do I choose the Forgotten Realms?

Because I want my axe-swinging dwarves dwelling inside huge mountain ranges curving kingdoms out of living stone.I love my world.

Why do you love yours?

Where else can you play a Mad Kilt Wearing Dwarven Pugilist by day and chat to the games designers and a world of players by night.
I know probably at least a dozen other RPG's out there, but Faerun feels like home from home......

From the big E to the nodiscript npc in the background together we make FR what it is, WELLDONE EVERYONE!!

By the way a pugilist is a boxer.

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  08:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, I try not to think too hard about or publicly question/judge other people's reasons for liking the Realms, even if such reasons don't necessarily make sense to me.

1) After all, it's not my place (or anyone else's) to judge.

2) It's just easier to live and let live in cases like this.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy it, by making it your own.

J. Grenemyer

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  12:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Me, I try not to think too hard about or publicly question/judge other people's reasons for liking the Realms, even if such reasons don't necessarily make sense to me.

J. Grenemyer

Agreed.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  16:53:07  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's what I want to know. Because you can "make something your own," while entirely laudable and understandable, does not really answer the question, "Why do you like something?" You can make everything your own. What is it about the REALMS specifically that in some way facilitates you in making them your own, moreso than in another campaign setting?

I just think that that kind of reply is entirely shapeless. It's like asking, "Why is chicken your favorite kind of food?" and answering "Because I can prepare it in so many different ways!" Well, you can do that with a LOT of things. What is it about CHICKEN that you like?

Well when you put it that way. I love the realms because of the feel it has. I think it is hard to describe, but its the way the realms feels the way it flows the lore, and the fact that it seems like a real world in many ways. It feel alive. It feels like all the books i read when you play the game like you could actually put the character in to the realms. I know that my sound corny or vauge or both! but thats how it feels to me.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Francius
Acolyte

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  16:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Francius's Homepage Send Francius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually,if you want to make the Realms your very own, you have to judge it.
It's everyone's who's interested in it place to judge.
That is why the Realms world is my breathing world:because when I send a letter containing observations to an author he reads it,at local D&D affairs designers show up and talk with players and lastly (but not of less importance) when I start a thread authors&designers reply me.
Is there a better way to customize something and make it your very own?

Go to Top of Page

Francius
Acolyte

Italy
14 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  17:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Francius's Homepage Send Francius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Which still has nothing to do with what I said. I see no reason why one cannot or should not alter aspects of the Realms to fit one's personal tastes. But just because you CAN do that isn't a reason to love the Realms above other settings, since you can do that with EVERY campaign setting.

Who said we like the Realms based only on how flexible and personalizing they can be?

Here's a previous essay of mine that 'll help you out in solving your question about why does a person like the Forgotten Realms as they are created without the need to house customize portion/s of it:

"I like Medieval fantasy and I choose the FRealms instead of the default one or the other campaign worlds, just because Faerun is 10 times greater in geographical size and a far lot more detailed than them-or any other fantasy MEDIEVAL world that is.
Actually you might find "x" and "y" in your world too (and in other ones as well) but not to the same extent,detail,behavior or flavor as they appear in my FRealms.(yes,they are truly mine just as they can be yours).
Elves,Dwarves,Humans.Halflings,Magic,Armies,Nations,NPC characters -all act and behave in a unique way in Abeir Toril.They might look like their similar races in other worlds but here they are more detailed,carry longer and vaster histories and they are more interesting to read about.
We have over 50 deities,a continent with dozens of regions,earth-like cultures and nations and (again) a geographical expansion so gargantuan you could say it's almost limitless.Eberron is simply put...much much smaller in square miles - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.It's the way I see things...tastes are tastes...
Faerun is detailed,infinetely huge,looks like our own earth in a thousand and one aspects, has a great organization of fans,interesting and adorable characters, endless possibilities for any style of D&D game....see?I could go on and on...

Is it any clearer now?

Edited by - Francius on 10 Sep 2006 17:09:49
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  19:05:09  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Francius, I wasn't specifically aiming my questions at you. But, in your specific case, that does help explain things a little bit.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2006 :  19:08:02  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure why you felt the need to specifically, publically post on a thread that was specifically asking the board members to explain why they liked the Realms, then. I'm really not trying to be offensive in this; I just don't understand why people post to subjects for no reason other than to add words to a thread, rather than actually try to discuss some aspect of the topic.

And me? I question everything, just for the sake of knowledge itself.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000