Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why I love my realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Francius Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 20:48:02
Recently on the Wotc site,my eye caught some debates over D&D's two primary campaign worlds.Posts in those threads soon started to heat off.
Instead of joining the insults bandwagon throwing puns at the Eberron setting, I held my own with a few lines that came into my mind drawn form the innumerable moments of reading,playing,joking,eating,drinking over a Realms' novel,game session,campaign expansion,geographical accessory shared with my best friends' company.

I 'd like to share those lines with the rest of you too.

Why do I choose the Forgotten Realms?

Because I want my axe-swinging dwarves dwelling inside huge mountain ranges curving kingdoms out of living stone.
Elves residing under thick tree canopies inside lush forests using wood and glass architecture.
Halflings sweating happily during a rich harvest for a place in the world and the betterment of their own race.
Humans with their ambitious and competitive nature raising kingdom after kingdom only to see them vanishing in an eye-blink.
Dragons of all colours roaming freely the skies.
Nations relying wholeheartedly and entirely in the use of magic while rivaling each other over its absorbing secrets.
Dark denizens scheming in their natural underground caves filled with stalactites over world dominance...
......oh, and infinite unfolding stories about characters starting from zero and then achieving epic status whilst performing mythical acts.Lots of them.

I love my world.

Why do you love yours?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 21:09:18
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Cyric was a bad guy before the ToT, would have been a bad guy in spite of the ToT, and continued to be a bady guy after the ToT.

I dunno... I think Cyric could have turned the corner and become a good guy, had events been different. Even in the story, we saw at least one spot where he could have taken the high road, but found it easier to take the low road. He was opportunistic; but had he better opportunities, he could have done a lot of good, I think.

Of course, 'tis all just my opinion.

he was the only interesting character in those books.

Eh, he would have been more interesting if he'd not sold out. Someone who simply gives in because it's convenient isn't as interesting as someone who doesn't give in.
MerrikCale Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 18:07:28
quote:

quote:

Cyric was a bad guy before the ToT, would have been a bad guy in spite of the ToT, and continued to be a bady guy after the ToT.

I dunno... I think Cyric could have turned the corner and become a good guy, had events been different. Even in the story, we saw at least one spot where he could have taken the high road, but found it easier to take the low road. He was opportunistic; but had he better opportunities, he could have done a lot of good, I think.

he was the only interesting character in those books.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 17:10:09
quote:

Kalin Agrivar Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 16:58:19
quote:
Originally posted by KujeI'm basing that on Richards comments about it before. Of course, I haven't read Dragons yet and his comments came out before that sourcebook. :)

ahh, thats cool
Kuje Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 16:53:51
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
As was the Rage events, even though we don't see much about them in the other continents. :)

are you sure? from the Dracorage Mythal description in Dragons of Faerun it seemed to me the mythal only covered Faerun (I noticed that because I to thought it was a global mythal)

gives me an idea of one of the "unknown continents" still ruled by dragons

I'm basing that on Richards comments about it before. Of course, I haven't read Dragons yet and his comments came out before that sourcebook. :)
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 14:01:03
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
As was the Rage events, even though we don't see much about them in the other continents. :)

are you sure? from the Dracorage Mythal description in Dragons of Faerun it seemed to me the mythal only covered Faerun (I noticed that because I to thought it was a global mythal)

gives me an idea of one of the "unknown continents" still ruled by dragons
Goatstone Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 04:57:42
Honestly, I think the Realms had the best cover art when I was young and impressionable so that's where I started. I respect and enjoy the other settings but they all seem confining compared to Faerun, and I've never even gotten into Kara-Tur, Zakhara, or Maztica.
Aelf Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 04:21:56
The large scope + plenty of canon + healthy respect of the former by DMs seals it for me.

I love that the characters in my game can talk with other players from a different Realms campaign with a different DM and the stories won't conflict. Most DMs I've met tend to play canonical NPCs as written, even when they are running their own Realms adventures. Ditto for the timeline.

That's a joy to witness.

(Thanks Ed, et al)
WalkerNinja Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 03:36:47
As cool as the Time of Troubles Trilogy was, it was the natural disaster movie of the Forgotten Realms.

Step 1: life is good
Step 2: Earth Quake/Volcano/War of the Gods (oh no!)
Step 3: characters struggle to survive
Step 4: characters survive natural disaster (or not), and move on with life

There's no REAL bad guy in the ToT. No one caused it in a bid for power. AO just sorta did it because the evil three gave him an excuse, and so he could fix some things that were bugging him. Cyric was a bad guy before the ToT, would have been a bad guy in spite of the ToT, and continued to be a bady guy after the ToT. Time of Troubles was the setting for that story, but it wasn't the story itself.

The protagonists of that trilogy didn't become world reknowned celebrity super-heroes (ahem ahem Dragonlance ahem). The fact that some of them became gods almost seems happenstance.

In a genre dominated by world spanning bad-guys (Sauron, Ming the Merciless, Tahkisis), FR seems a lot more real to me
Kuje Posted - 18 Oct 2006 : 00:23:58
quote:

quote:

I like the Forgotten Realms because it strikes me as the most REAL of all other settings... consider:

1)Never once has there been some artificially contrived global crisis, most don't even span the single continent that we have detailed, and no single person ever solved one of those big problems.

Huh?

The Time of Troubles was planet-wide, though we've not really seen the results of it in any areas other than Faerūn...

Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2006 : 23:59:38
quote:

I like the Forgotten Realms because it strikes me as the most REAL of all other settings... consider:

1)Never once has there been some artificially contrived global crisis, most don't even span the single continent that we have detailed, and no single person ever solved one of those big problems.

Huh?

The Time of Troubles was planet-wide, though we've not really seen the results of it in any areas other than Faerūn...
WalkerNinja Posted - 17 Oct 2006 : 23:28:46

1)Never once has there been some artificially contrived global crisis, most don't even span the single continent that we have detailed, and no single person ever solved one of those big problems. For all the grief that Elminster has gotten over the years, he deals with regional problems, and abstract problems and never gets credit for any of it in the game.

2)Most of us consider local customs to be more important than the newest prestige class or feat.

3)Everyone of us think of it as simply "home."
vicar Posted - 17 Oct 2006 : 21:30:55
Wow, that's tough. I don't have deep cerebral reasons for loving the Realms. I love it because it's where I grew up! Somewhere in yer' heart, you always have a special place for where ya grew up, right? Well, 'twas in the Realms that I was introduced to gaming, so all my early gaming memories are there in those hamlets, towns and cities. Good friends from college, some of whom aren't around anymore occupied those places with me. The girl I almost married way-back-when still resided there too. I haven't seen her for more than ten years now, but in my gamer-mind's eye her character is still there in Sembia, too. How do ya not love a place with those kind of memories?
Reefy Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 12:30:12
Stories, detail, possibilities.
Zimme Posted - 13 Sep 2006 : 11:34:33
The forgotten realms ranks no 1 on my hit list because. there is a quite special feel to it, if its due to the detail with witch* it is discribed(like no other setting), or due to the many novels that I and my players have read(and still reads of course! :)). It provides a enormous potential for adventure, plus it is the only setting where I can cook up an quest on a moments notice(and we play quite a few settings).

*excuse my poor spelling :/
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 16:44:56
It“s dificult to say exactly why I love the Realms. It“s the same (for me) that question why I love my brothers.

I have played/DM in almost all the old settings of TSR. All of them with a rich story, great npcs, and infinite possibilities. Dark Sun and Planescape stay on the top of my preference, but the Realms... the Realms grab my imagination in a way that no other setting have. The lore, the people, the places. All was/and is marvelous! The Elminster Ecologies, The Volo“s Guides, the old tomes. The novels. I think that a conjunction of all this (and more) have helped to reinforce my feelings about the setting.

And some day, last year, I found Candlekeep. And all the authors, designers, writers, fans, all the good people that add more spice in the setting is, well, here, to talk, to argue, to help...

It“s marvelous!

Only love can do something like this.

All hail to Sune and Hanali!
Alisttair Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 15:55:41
I love the rich history, detail and community togetherness. I love to read a book with familar faces and places....arrive somewhere in D&D or in a FR video game and have it be familiar. It is home sweet home.
Delzounblood Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 11:00:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

The world has depth. It has more depth than I could make, even if I had the time to work on my own world.

Surely the depth comes form lots of people adding to the pot over time (like a good stew), It's all the little bits that create the whole which make FR so damn good!
Zorro Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 01:16:49
Why do I like the Realms? I like the ideas that form its basis; I rarely like their execution, but I like the ideas upon which I can build my own version while trying not to stray too far away from the source material. It's the golden mean between a published and a homebrew setting.

Zorro
Wenin Posted - 11 Sep 2006 : 23:55:46
The world has depth. It has more depth than I could make, even if I had the time to work on my own world.
Kuje Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 22:05:22
How about we get back on topic and yes some posters did add words to this thread that were not needed and the posters who did that know who they are. If there are any more of this off topic argument then those posts will be removed.

Now, knock it off.
Jorkens Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 21:31:53
No one answered "just to add words to this thread" as I can see. When one is asked why one has love for something I would think that the answer given is the answer one feels is best for the question. A persons own feelings on a subject are not always a topic one sees the need to discus and analyze.
GothicDan Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 19:08:02
quote:
Me, I try not to think too hard about or publicly question/judge other people's reasons for liking the Realms, even if such reasons don't necessarily make sense to me.

1) After all, it's not my place (or anyone else's) to judge.

2) It's just easier to live and let live in cases like this.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy it, by making it your own.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to specifically, publically post on a thread that was specifically asking the board members to explain why they liked the Realms, then. I'm really not trying to be offensive in this; I just don't understand why people post to subjects for no reason other than to add words to a thread, rather than actually try to discuss some aspect of the topic.

And me? I question everything, just for the sake of knowledge itself.
GothicDan Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 19:05:09
Francius, I wasn't specifically aiming my questions at you. But, in your specific case, that does help explain things a little bit.
Francius Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 17:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan
Which still has nothing to do with what I said. I see no reason why one cannot or should not alter aspects of the Realms to fit one's personal tastes. But just because you CAN do that isn't a reason to love the Realms above other settings, since you can do that with EVERY campaign setting.

That's what I want to know. Because you can "make something your own," while entirely laudable and understandable, does not really answer the question, "Why do you like something?" You can make everything your own. What is it about the REALMS specifically that in some way facilitates you in making them your own, moreso than in another campaign setting?

I just think that that kind of reply is entirely shapeless. It's like asking, "Why is chicken your favorite kind of food?" and answering "Because I can prepare it in so many different ways!" Well, you can do that with a LOT of things. What is it about CHICKEN that you like?

Who said we like the Realms based only on how flexible and personalizing they can be?

Here's a previous essay of mine that 'll help you out in solving your question about why does a person like the Forgotten Realms as they are created without the need to house customize portion/s of it:

"I like Medieval fantasy and I choose the FRealms instead of the default one or the other campaign worlds, just because Faerun is 10 times greater in geographical size and a far lot more detailed than them-or any other fantasy MEDIEVAL world that is.
Actually you might find "x" and "y" in your world too (and in other ones as well) but not to the same extent,detail,behavior or flavor as they appear in my FRealms.(yes,they are truly mine just as they can be yours).
Elves,Dwarves,Humans.Halflings,Magic,Armies,Nations,NPC characters -all act and behave in a unique way in Abeir Toril.They might look like their similar races in other worlds but here they are more detailed,carry longer and vaster histories and they are more interesting to read about.
We have over 50 deities,a continent with dozens of regions,earth-like cultures and nations and (again) a geographical expansion so gargantuan you could say it's almost limitless.Eberron is simply put...much much smaller in square miles - but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.It's the way I see things...tastes are tastes...
Faerun is detailed,infinetely huge,looks like our own earth in a thousand and one aspects, has a great organization of fans,interesting and adorable characters, endless possibilities for any style of D&D game....see?I could go on and on...

Is it any clearer now?
Francius Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 16:59:00
quote:

Actually,if you want to make the Realms your very own, you have to judge it.
It's everyone's who's interested in it place to judge.
That is why the Realms world is my breathing world:because when I send a letter containing observations to an author he reads it,at local D&D affairs designers show up and talk with players and lastly (but not of less importance) when I start a thread authors&designers reply me.
Is there a better way to customize something and make it your very own?
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 16:53:07
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan
That's what I want to know. Because you can "make something your own," while entirely laudable and understandable, does not really answer the question, "Why do you like something?" You can make everything your own. What is it about the REALMS specifically that in some way facilitates you in making them your own, moreso than in another campaign setting?

I just think that that kind of reply is entirely shapeless. It's like asking, "Why is chicken your favorite kind of food?" and answering "Because I can prepare it in so many different ways!" Well, you can do that with a LOT of things. What is it about CHICKEN that you like?

Well when you put it that way. I love the realms because of the feel it has. I think it is hard to describe, but its the way the realms feels the way it flows the lore, and the fact that it seems like a real world in many ways. It feel alive. It feels like all the books i read when you play the game like you could actually put the character in to the realms. I know that my sound corny or vauge or both! but thats how it feels to me.
Wandering_mage Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 12:19:34
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Me, I try not to think too hard about or publicly question/judge other people's reasons for liking the Realms, even if such reasons don't necessarily make sense to me.

J. Grenemyer

Agreed.
Sanishiver Posted - 10 Sep 2006 : 08:49:08

J. Grenemyer
Delzounblood Posted - 09 Sep 2006 : 23:16:54
quote:
Originally posted by Francius

Recently on the Wotc site,my eye caught some debates over D&D's two primary campaign worlds.Posts in those threads soon started to heat off.
Instead of joining the insults bandwagon throwing puns at the Eberron setting, I held my own with a few lines that came into my mind drawn form the innumerable moments of reading,playing,joking,eating,drinking over a Realms' novel,game session,campaign expansion,geographical accessory shared with my best friends' company.

I 'd like to share those lines with the rest of you too.

Why do I choose the Forgotten Realms?

Because I want my axe-swinging dwarves dwelling inside huge mountain ranges curving kingdoms out of living stone.I love my world.

Why do you love yours?

Where else can you play a Mad Kilt Wearing Dwarven Pugilist by day and chat to the games designers and a world of players by night.
I know probably at least a dozen other RPG's out there, but Faerun feels like home from home......

From the big E to the nodiscript npc in the background together we make FR what it is, WELLDONE EVERYONE!!

By the way a pugilist is a boxer.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000