Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Has WOTC banned Amazon from selling their stuff?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  00:59:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I had a look at my Amazon cart today and got the following message

quote:
We're sorry. The item X is no longer available from the seller you selected. We've moved it to the Saved Items section of your Shopping Cart. page.

This message appeared for 4 Wizards of the Coast products

Arcane Corridors (TIle set)
Cityscape
Road of the Patriarch by RA Salvatore
Shadowbred by Paul Kemp

The seller mentioned in the message is Amazon not one of the third party stores using their site. All 4 arent even out yet so they cant be out of stock!

I couple of weeks ago a guy who owns Auggies (an Online store that sells single minis) was told by WOTC that they are cutting him off and refusing to supply him with anymore WOTC products on the grounds that hes not making 50% of his sales over the counter from a Bricks and Mortar store

Now as Amazons doesnt have a B&M store and 100% of their sales are over the internet it makes me wonder if Wizards are refusing to sell to them to..........

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  01:48:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few people are having issues with this.

Enworld has a thread:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=176988

Specifically page 3.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Oct 2006 02:05:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  02:51:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears to just be a glitch... Seriously, WotC would be shooting themselves in the foot to disallow sale of their products thru a major seller like Amazon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  05:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew some people over at WotC were intellectually challenged... but I never dreamed of this.

Unless WotC is thinking of opening their own gaming stores? I'm still hurting from the closure of Gamekeeper. But even so, that wouldn't change the fact they would need Amazon, and I seriously doubt they'd open stores worldwide.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  08:15:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far all my WOTC novel are ordered via amazon. If this was to be true, it would be a sad day indeed...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  15:04:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, maybe they aren't selling as much in Barnes & Noble and such anymore because we're all just buying online. However, it would seem stupid of WotC, because sales are still happening.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  16:58:43  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Now as Amazons doesnt have a B&M store and 100% of their sales are over the internet it makes me wonder if Wizards are refusing to sell to them to..........

Well a few years ago when a new mall opened in our area (Broomfield, CO) they did have a store in there called "Wizards of the Coast" I went in there and everything was so pricey that I didn't buy anything except dice , it felt like it was endorsed by WoTC as they only sold stuff WoTC put out.(Minor quirk I have is to buy 1 thing from a new hobby store I enter).
I tried looking in the phone book for it and it wasn't there so it must not have hung around. So maybe they are thinking of going back to something like that. Must have been a management descicion.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  17:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I don't know, maybe they aren't selling as much in Barnes & Noble and such anymore because we're all just buying online. However, it would seem stupid of WotC, because sales are still happening.

it wouldn't be WoTC's first decision that appeared to be unwise...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:35:32  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given my nearest FLGS is 30 miles away and none of my local bookstores really stock FR novels, I do a lot of my purchasing via Amazon. What a ridiculous idea.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  22:02:46  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I knew some people over at WotC were intellectually challenged... but I never dreamed of this.

Unless WotC is thinking of opening their own gaming stores? I'm still hurting from the closure of Gamekeeper. But even so, that wouldn't change the fact they would need Amazon, and I seriously doubt they'd open stores worldwide.

It's only been a few years (2 or 3 IIRC) since WotC closed all their stores.
I doubt they would change their mind this fast a plan on opening them again.

Now it they had an on line distribution.

It looks like it was only a glitch anyway as Wooly suggested.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  01:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm seems it was some sort of weird tech glitch Ive managed to get all the items back in my cart

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  07:56:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  22:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*breathes a sigh of relief* I've just checked and there seems to be no problems of stock listed on Amazon.co.uk.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

martynq
Seeker

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  12:22:20  Show Profile  Visit martynq's Homepage Send martynq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon.co.uk have been having trouble getting hold of Complete Psionic for me for about two months now. Dunno if this may be related.

However, Dragon Magic, PHB II and Twilight Tomb all arrived safely last week, so this is unclear...

Martyn
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2006 :  21:17:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got dragon magic, complete mage, lies of light, and war of the dragon queen miniature boxed set. Must've been a glitch.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000