Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Top 50 Spellcasters "Alive" In Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:51:06  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Aeree are the avian creator race. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  09:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not master of realmslore but i alwayas thouhgt that Melegaunt died in Return of Archwizards and Ulair the Silent died in Blackstaff.
I have one or two questions. How many levels has Tsarra "Blackstaff" Chaadren? Who is and where i can read more about Maligor, Breithel Olithir, Noumea Drathchuld, Lady Yhelbruna and Shaaan the Serpent Queen?

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  09:59:30  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Way to spoil. ;)

Tsarra is of about medium level, I believe; I think Steve gave us an idea in his thread.

Maligor is a 10th level Red Wizard Evoker (I think), which is featured in 2E Lords of Darkness (and I think a novel or two).

Yhelbruna is from the 2E Spellbound boxed set (not sure if she's in Unapproachable East or not).

Shaan the Serpent Queen is referenced in Ed's replies about Larloch (his earlier ones), and maybe elsewhere.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what about Melegaunt and Ulair? Am I right?
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:30:44  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot say due to spoilers!

Well, one of them is a spoiler.

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 12 Aug 2006 10:31:03
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK. But can you tell me something about Breithel Olithir and Noumea Drathchuld?
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  11:34:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the Harpell Family? There must be at least one who's among the to 50, aye?!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  14:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep Malchor Harpell
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  17:52:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

Who is and where i can read more about Maligor, Breithel Olithir, Noumea Drathchuld, Lady Yhelbruna and Shaaan the Serpent Queen?

Noumea Drathchuld was, as I recall, described in the 2E supplement Secrets of the Magister. Maligor was in the novel Red Magic, I think, but I've not read it in a long time. Shaaan the Serpent Queen hasn't officially been covered, I don't think, but Krash did an excellent write-up of her in Volume IV of the Candlekeep Compendium (see my sig for the link).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  18:20:52  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gromph Baenre is one of my favorite Realms personalities because he is wicked and smooth. If he had a moment to spare he could definitely make an impact on the surface. However that would weaken him in Menzo. Plus it would take forever to establish himself in some organization like Twisted Rune or Chaulssin (Shadow dragon group referenced in WotSQ series). He has style in his spell casting and he has a calm calculating approach to make his plans come to pass. I don't know about all of you but his spell battle with the Agrich Dyrr lich goes down as one of my favorites all time Realms fights. That fight ROCKED! They could make a movie based on that fight. I think it is about time Gromph leveled up a bit. Especially after Lloth's silence....and getting his eyes eaten out by his own familiar! He has to go on the list to represent the Underdark. Plus he rocks the Narbondel! Or whatever that glowing pillar of glowing rock is called. I have to reread the WotSQ. I loved it though! Go Gromph!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  18:24:36  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some one might want to add Tulrun of the Tent. He's pretty powerful from what I've heard. Plus he lives in a cool tent!

I would also offer Mentor Wintercloak who studied under Halaster Blackcloak. Brings whole new meaning to learn from evil, use for good.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Corran Horn
Seeker

54 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  18:26:09  Show Profile  Visit Corran Horn's Homepage Send Corran Horn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But who is Breithel Olithir? Where i can read about him?
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  18:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do a forum search. :)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  18:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
atlas689, what do you intend by 'top 50'?

'Telamont Tanthul' sounds to me like a character from a Japanese CRPG.
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  19:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Just the name or the character in general?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  22:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

atlas689, what do you intend by 'top 50'?

You don't think that name is very FR-ish?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  22:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aes Tryl

Araevin is the Grand Mage of Myth drannor so i thinks he deserves an honourable mention.

...In 1380.

Besides, he got much of his power by cheating.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  22:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually have to echo Faraer's question: what is meant by "top 50 wizards". Top 50 in terms of what? Levels? Influence?

Besides, I think some of my characters belong on the list, but then again I'm biased.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  22:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something about the name and the concept of the character. May just be a weird personal abreaction.
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  00:37:17  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok what I mean are spellcasters of raw or hard worked for power and influence of the Art itself not wether he is in charge of the glowing pilar in Menzo lol. As for naming just random names and thats all for the post, try to give a source or a quick look at their levels for others who may not know them. As for the power of the their Art I often find that levels sometimes do reflect the power of the character and sometimes dont. For instance having a bunch of little levels sor 3/ wiz 4/ etc built up so your like level 25 doesnt really do much. On the other hand if we dont have stats for the character then levels dont really say much for them in this case please tell us why they are so powerful. The whole purpose for this thread is to learn from others about different characters others have not heard of, I hope this clears things up!

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:09:57  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do you only want to learn about the "high level" characters, exactly?

Telamont Tanthul = LOLZ!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something about the name and the concept of the character. May just be a weird personal abreaction.

I think the character concept is a bit anime-ish, badass archwizard with spooky shade powers and his own floating city with an ultimate goal to nation build in his image. The name is kind of regular FR/D&D/fantasy.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:39:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Maligor was in the novel Red Magic, I think, but I've not read it in a long time.
Maligor was also covered in the 2e Villains' Lorebook.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:41:30  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GD its simple really, they interest me, is that bad?

Stated:
Lady Yhelbruna: Female Rashemi Human Clr6 of Mystra/Wiz12/Hth10; CR 28;
Rhangaun: Male Tethyrian Human Lich Wiz20/Acm5/Sor8; CR 35;
Shangalar the Black: Male Tiefling Lich Wiz20/Acm5/Rog2; CR 33;
Shyressa: Female Calishite Human Vampire Wiz20/Acm3; CR 25
Necroqysar Shoon VII: Male Calishite Human Nec31/Acm5; CR 44;
High Lord Planner Illis Khendarhine: Sor4/Wiz20/Acm6
Lord Apprehender Ebrul Naramixna: Sor10/Wiz15/Acm4
Netyarch Zalathorm Kirkson: Male Halruaan Human Div20/Lor4/Halruaan Elder 5; CR 29;
Demron the Archmage: Male Chondathan Human Wiz20/Acm5; CR 25;
Ezzat the Archlich: Male Sun Elf Wiz20/Acm5; CR 27
Wulgreth the Lich: Male Netherese Human Lich Wiz20/Diabolist 10; CR 32;
Aumvor the Undying: check Champions of Ruin for full official
Kartak Spellseer: Male Tethyrian Human Nec20/Archmage 5/Aristocrat 6; CR 33;
Arthindol the Terraseer: Male Sarrukh Lich Wiz25/Acm5; CR 37;
Nexus: Male great wyrm gold dragon Wiz20/Acm5; CR 52;
Zulkir Ythazz Buvaar: Male Mulan Human Demilich Cjr21/Red10; CR 37;
The Keeper: Male Demilich Wiz27/Netherese Arcanist 5
Icelia the demilich: Female Rashemi Human Demilich Wiz21/Durthan 10; CR 37;

Worthy?:
Ardanthe: female human wizard 24/archmage 2
Skouloun: male human wizard 22/archmage 1
Mardamaun: male human wizard 25/archmage 1
Yusendre: female human wizard 20/sorcerer 6/archmage 1
Belaurant: male human wizard 25/archmage 1
Tulrun of the Tent
The Mistmaster: Male Illuskan Human Clr9/Ill16 of Deneir; CR 25;

No Stats but on the list:
Shaaan the Serpent Queen
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym
Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
Breithel Olithir
Ulair the Silent
Dargothoth

The list thus far(in no specific order):
Ulair the Silent
Dargothoth
Lady Yhelbruna
Rhangaun
Shangalar the Black
Shyressa
Necroqysar Shoon VII
High Lord Planner Illis Khendarhine
Lord Apprehender Ebrul Naramixna
Netyarch Zalathorm Kirkson
Demron the Archmage
Ezzat the Archlich
Wulgreth the Lich
Aumvor the Undying
Kartak Spellseer
Arthindol the Terraseer
Nexus
Zulkir Ythazz Buvaar
The Keeper
Elminster Aumar
Malchor Harpell
The Simbul
The Shrinshee
Alustriel Silverhand
Laeral Silverhand
Telemaunt Tanthul
Halaster Blackcloak
Larloch
Shaaan the Serpent Queen
Ioulaum
Syluné of Shadowdale
Sammaster
Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith
Noumea Drathchuld
Alvaerele Tasundrym
Embrae Aloevan of Ardeep
Slarkrethel
Queen Amlaruil Moonflower
Manshoon
Breithel Olithir
Szass Tam

Thats 42 so far keep em coming!

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

Edited by - atlas689 on 13 Aug 2006 05:33:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:49:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corran Horn

But who is Breithel Olithir? Where i can read about him?

Have you read the "Last Mythal" books?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  04:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm gonna come clean.. Bavardin Storm is my character from a long-running campaign. It appears you are just looking for canon spellcasters, so he doesn't belong in your "Worthy?" category. However, he is pretty cool so if you want to keep him in there, hell, I'm pretty proud of him so it would be an honor... BTW, he is a Wiz9/Elemental Savant(Cold)9/Incantatar5.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  05:34:40  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only 8 to go please comment!
-Atlas

Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  06:12:17  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think of these candiadates?

Jymahna: Female Calishite Human Lich Enc19; CR 23;
Qysar Shoon IV: Male Calishite Human Nec20/Acm5;CR 25;
Prince Lamorak Tanthul: Male Netherese Human Shade Wiz19/Sha7; CR 28;
Pox: Female Vassan Human Lich Wiz15/ex-Zhentarim Skymage 5; CR 22;
Jalynfein the Spider Mage: Male Drow Wiz20/Acm4; CR 25;
Ahgharion: Male Illuskan Human Wiz20/Acm5; CR 25;
Calimar Arkhenneld: Male Drow Lich Enc27; CR 29;
Iniarv: Male Illuskan Human Demilich Wiz21/Acm5; CR 32;
Alastra Hathwinter “The Night Cloak”: Female Illuskan Human Wiz15/Harper Mage 5/Acm1; CR 21;
The Dire Dragon: Male great wyrm ghostly shadow dragon; CR 26;
Ecamane Truesilver: Male Chondathan Human Wiz20/Acm5/Wonderworker 3; CR 28;

-Atlas

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  13:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I definitely think the Underdark needs some representation. How about that illithid in Dekanter? Do we have stats for him? I would go ahead and put the Spider mage on the list. I would put Gromph on there too. -looks around sneakily- Hmmmm.... I think maybe those shadow dragon drow folk (WotSQ) might have a mighty member or two that should be on the list. That's just a speculative thought though. Good luck Atlas!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  14:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nexus: Male great wyrm gold dragon Wiz20/Acm5; CR 52;

Umm Nexus in the Dragons Of Faerun is a Gold Dragon great wyrm lvl 10 sorceror. . .
equivalent to a 29th lvl sorceror i think
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000