Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Publishing rights
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ergont
Acolyte

Russia
24 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  09:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Ergont's Homepage Send Ergont a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everybody.
Yesterday I met with my friend and had a conversation about Forgotten Realms in Russia. Well, we have problem: there is publishing house in Russia which has language rights for FR fiction. But they are not interested in publishing FR books except Salvatore's ones. That's why we found a sponsor who is ready to invest money and we have plenty of guys who are ready to translate, print and publish books of another authors (de Bie, Kemp, Evans, Baker, Ryers etc) in Russia.
But I failed to found any contact on wizards' site! I don't know where I should email and ask: "Hey! We wanna buy right for publishing books in Russia! What are the price and conditions?".
Erin Evans has already suggested her help - she asked her editor for emails.

Anyway I think it would be better if anyone supports me with any kind of information. I know that rightowners are Hasbro's guys. But where should I address to?

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Nov 2012 10:01:16

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  15:11:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am no employee of WotC, but I do understand legal contracts. If the other publishing house has exclusivity in their agreement, you are not going to be able to do what you want.

On the other hand, because it is RAS we are talking about, the arrangement may be just for his books, in which case there is a chance. Regardless, you will probably have to prove there is enough of a market for this.

And contracts always have some sort of time limits, so you may just have to play the 'waiting game'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Nov 2012 15:12:04
Go to Top of Page

Ergont
Acolyte

Russia
24 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  15:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Ergont's Homepage Send Ergont a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You see, there are some problems with this publishing house. They publish FR-books (RAS only) one per year in best case. They tried publish original Cale trilogy and Lady Penitent but there were only two books in these series and 4000 books of each type. You see? Russia is a big country: I'm admin of two social groups of fr-fans on vk.com - there are 8000 in first and 10000 in second. AND ONLY 4000 examples of book for all country!
They said that sales were bad. But dear friends if you want to be confident in your sales why don't use paid subscription by mail via publishing house's site? Fans suggested this - it will guarantee sales. But OUR BRILLIANT PUBLISHERS are interested in only Warhammer series. FR, DL and other series are "unperspective".
There are several holywars per month on their forum. But publishers keep silence.
That's why we found sponsor who is ready to invest money in this project and want to buy publish rights.
Go to Top of Page

Ergont
Acolyte

Russia
24 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2012 :  15:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Ergont's Homepage Send Ergont a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is another reason for contact with WotC.
I'm Dungeon Master and I faced a problem. There are no places in Russia where you can get Dungeon Tiles, newest Dungeon Miniatures and Rulebooks or Sourcebooks. I've searched for it in different roleplay stores but I was able to buy DT and other stuff on e-bay/amazon only via different internet-agents (ebaytoday.ru, for example). There no special D&D stores.
If you want to go DMing you should live in USA or England, for example.
There are no problems with MtG. There are problems with D&D specifically.
We saw an opportunity for small business: there is demand and we want to offer WotC provide supply.
I'm really upset with both FR-Russian support and absence of D&D production.

Edited by - Ergont on 12 Nov 2012 03:50:15
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  04:51:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best answer is to contact WotC legal department, marketing department or other WotC address that might actually consider your request. It is true that Hasbro in the end will decide the issue of what might be permitted, WotC is the division that you need to make first contact with.

http://company.wizards.com/about/ourcompany appears about a starting place as far as a website goes. I did try to narrow it down to your area however none appeared to fit better.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ergont
Acolyte

Russia
24 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  05:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Ergont's Homepage Send Ergont a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Kentinal, thanx - I've already contacted with Wizards Game Service and they addressed me to permission team (don't remember the title). Also Erin Evans asked my email to contact - think these two factors will be very helpful.)
Anyway I wonder why wotc didn't publish direct address for such issues.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  13:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like Erin has already sent you to WotC's book department, which is what I would have done. I wish you success!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ergont
Acolyte

Russia
24 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  15:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Ergont's Homepage Send Ergont a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Erik, be sure your Shadowbane series will be the first in our to-publish-list if we succeed.) I rly enjoy it.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000