Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 humbling experience to say the least
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
so far since ive been here ive got two threads closed....been told i need to read more...realized i do need to read more....found out i know almost nothing compared to most of you extremly learned folk....and the list goes on...lol so to say the least this is been humbling i must say i have to learn alot more....plus my threads always turn controversal and get closed....so anyways i dont know what the point of this way other then to express how GREAT THIS FORUM IS!....never before have i ever been this humbled...and by people i can honestly say rock my socks off...lol you guys and your big words and almost too subtle insults and ahhhh you guys rock....hats off to you and well met...once again...by the way....say i did want to at least try to catch up to you guys and your infinate knowledge of the realms what books should i read....by who....and how in general should i go about this?......p.s. i promise not to mention salvatore or Paolini anymore lol

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:36:09  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies, Genis.

The topics you tend to choose - are just VERY controversial around here. And a lot of the forum posters here (myself included at times) have opinions that burn too fiercely to be easily dowsed.

Sorry for the.. Explosive replies you've received.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:39:37  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol its ok im not complaing as much as im stating what slightly amuses me...but yeah i do tend to pic controversial topics and a lot of the people here including you and me have our own opinions which we alot of times think are always right :P

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:51:49  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's human nature to think that we're right. If we weren't, we wouldn't think whatever we are thinking. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good point....and dont get me started on all my theorys of evolutiona dn human nature theorys that i have of my own....ooo god that would be a long topic....but yeah damn humans....i wish i was an elf:P

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  08:03:11  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves are obviously the best. *Wise nod, hides from anti-Elf zealots.*

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  08:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dispite there often times arrogent racist outlook on life they rock!...*kicks anti elf zealots in the face*

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  08:26:14  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genis... there are a couple of threads that deal with new readers and what to read, so whatever I'd suggest could stand there already, but if you have the time, try to find the Finder's Stone Trilogy, and the Empires Trilogy, then go and read Elaine Cunningham's and Ed's books...oh and the Cormyr saga...from there you are on your own, I'd say... I still have to read some 30 books stacked in my room

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  08:27:02  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I still have to read some 30 books stacked in my room

I feel you there. Oi!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  09:21:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

so far since ive been here ive got two threads closed....been told i need to read more...realized i do need to read more....found out i know almost nothing compared to most of you extremly learned folk....and the list goes on...lol so to say the least this is been humbling i must say i have to learn alot more....plus my threads always turn controversal and get closed....so anyways i dont know what the point of this way other then to express how GREAT THIS FORUM IS!....never before have i ever been this humbled...and by people i can honestly say rock my socks off...lol you guys and your big words and almost too subtle insults and ahhhh you guys rock....hats off to you and well met...once again...by the way....say i did want to at least try to catch up to you guys and your infinate knowledge of the realms what books should i read....by who....and how in general should i go about this?......p.s. i promise not to mention salvatore or Paolini anymore lol

Before I get to the main part of your post Genis, let me just say... the sealing of some of the scrolls you've opened are not a reflection on you personally or your facility for the Realmslore, but rather an indication of how sensitive and problematic some topics in the Realmslore can be. Your opinions and perspectives on the Realmslore are just as important as any other opinions and perspectives expressed by other scribes here at Candlekeep. I apologise, on behalf of all the mods and admin staff of Candlekeep, if these scroll closures have caused you any personal irritation.

So, as you've no doubt noticed, nearly every scribe here at Candlekeep has some part of the Realms they are extremely passionate about. Oftentimes, these subjects will pop up here and will attract the attention of scribes with alternating views on the subject itself or part of the Realmslore being discussed. I'll admit to being rather "passionate" myself at times, about parts of the Realmslore, both here and at the gaming table... it is, largely, only natural for a shared world like the Realms to be the focus of such developments. It's also a reflection of the fact that some of us here, as long-time Realms fans, have been with the setting from the time of its published origins back in 1987... so we tend to be a little more "aggressive" in our opinions about certain Realmslore aspects, than those scribes who may still be new to the setting, or have only been with the Realms since the release of the 3e FRCS. We have the experience necessary for appreciating some of the changes that have come along and what that has meant to parts of the Realmslore we've learnt about previously. Understandably, this can make us angry and can lead to situations on message boards where conflicting views about the changes can meet. You've undoubtedly noticed that Candlekeep, like most FR message boards, is not free of this either -- as I said before, it's bound to occur given the shared nature of the Realms, but also, because of the wide diversity in Realms fans who've approached the setting from different times and through different mediums. There'll likely never be an end to these types of lore conflicts, and as the Realms grows through the direction of multiple writers and game designers and moves into new editions... some of these present conflicts may likely become even more aggressive. But we must always remember that we are all fans of this great setting, and above all, we must appreciate that there will always been players, DMs, scribes, fellow posters, who simply do not have the luxury of having been with the setting from the beginning. This, above all, is an important consideration -- especially when sharing views in an online community such as Candlekeep. I hope that the other mods and I have been somewhat successful in doing our parts to keep these types of discussions from becoming too prevalent here.

So, if you or any other scribe reading this feel like this is not the case, please contact me privately so we can discuss what you feel may be the problem, and we'll go from there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Aug 2006 09:26:54
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  09:41:00  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
p.s. i promise not to mention salvatore or Paolini anymore lol

Oh you can mention Salvatore Dali

But seriously, I think most of us have read his work, liked it in the beginning and have gripes with some things...it's to be expected, Pick ten readers of the same book and you get ten different opinions, unless it's TV guide that is

One thing we all agree on, I think, is that people should honor the lore that has come before. If that ain't the case, to say it with Johnny Storm: "Flame on!"

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  11:15:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to echo the words of the Sage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  17:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no it hasnt caused personally irritation i just thought it was kinda funny how both my first threads we closed down...but yeah i understand with the aggreassive opinions and whatnot...i myself get pretty toasted when arguing about an opinion of mine so i see what you mean

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  18:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i feel as tho i should bring up an interesting topic but i have none to mention...ummmm...so is the FR version of a gnoll like...a wolfish kinda creature?

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  18:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i feel as tho i should bring up an interesting topic but i have none to mention...ummmm...so is the FR version of a gnoll like...a wolfish kinda creature?

gnolls are supposed to be more hyena-like men than wolf-like men...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  18:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought so...but yeah hyena like...thats what i was picturing..just thought i would check...incase i see a band of them i can properly identify them lol

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  18:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i thought so...but yeah hyena like...thats what i was picturing..just thought i would check...incase i see a band of them i can properly identify them lol

watch out for the flinds too! They are the shorter, smarter hyena-men with the numchucks

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:28:41  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'll take note of that lol...you wouldnt happen to know what those huge goblin things from other planes of existance are called do you?

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i'll take note of that lol...you wouldnt happen to know what those huge goblin things from other planes of existance are called do you?

I think you are speaking of the Bargest from Ghenna (sp?)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah im pretty sure thats what i ment....whats up with those things...huge goblin things that can like....morph?...whats the correct term for that?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:36:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gnolls are fun and highly underrepresented in lore. The hyena-men are strong in the lands north of Zenthil Keep and played a part in sacking the city. Soldiers of Ice is the nearest you come a gnoll novel.

And if you meet them Genis, their easy to identify. They are hairy and armed, you can try smiling to them and if they smile back and laugh hysterically whilst drawing their weapons, run for your life. This is a clear sign of gnolls, but this tactic also works well with madmen, ogres and scribes that see their favorite lore thread upon.

PS I will join those that agree with the Sages post; the blocking of the threads had with our overeagerness, not with anything you wrote.
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:39:22  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
run? are you sure i cant meet them head on in some combat?....im sure id get murdered hard core but....its worth a try...and if i had some help from candlekeep resisdents im sure i could route some gnolls easily lol...i should read soldiers of ice...and overeagerness is my middle name ;)

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:39:44  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

yeah im pretty sure thats what i ment....whats up with those things...huge goblin things that can like....morph?...whats the correct term for that?

polymorph

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:40:44  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
polymorph!....thats the word i was looking for

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  03:53:22  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE gnolls. I'm not sure why, precisely. And Yeenoghu is pretty cool, too. It might be in part nostalgic, looking back at the old Dragonquest game I played, and because my ex was really into gnolls. *Snickers*

They're among some of my favorite "animal-ish people" (along with manscorpions and wemics).

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 12 Aug 2006 03:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:23:22  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm i don't know much about gnolls, they don't really get much street cred in the realms. Its kinda like look theres a gnoll, and the PCs burst out in laughter. . . just my two cents worth.
But for those players, a visit from Yeenoghu would be well. . . educational :D
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:29:13  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeenoghu would learn 'em good!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:06:37  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They seem to be plentiful in the Unapproachable East. Rather common shock troops for Thay or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:08:24  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True! Another reason I like the UE. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Aes Tryl
Learned Scribe

181 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Aes Tryl's Homepage Send Aes Tryl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah thayans treat them like fodder unfortunately or pit fighters for amusement. we don't see any serious gnollish villains in the realms as i said before go YEENOGHU!!
Unfortunately from what I've read he doesn't seem that smart (well appearances are deceiving) but then again the Thayans were the ones who trapped Eltab so it would make for some pretty interesting conflit
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:17:42  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would prefer a standard gnoll as a villain to another demon, being "normal" would set him out from the crowd more actually.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000