Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 humbling experience to say the least

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 07:08:31
so far since ive been here ive got two threads closed....been told i need to read more...realized i do need to read more....found out i know almost nothing compared to most of you extremly learned folk....and the list goes on...lol so to say the least this is been humbling i must say i have to learn alot more....plus my threads always turn controversal and get closed....so anyways i dont know what the point of this way other then to express how GREAT THIS FORUM IS!....never before have i ever been this humbled...and by people i can honestly say rock my socks off...lol you guys and your big words and almost too subtle insults and ahhhh you guys rock....hats off to you and well met...once again...by the way....say i did want to at least try to catch up to you guys and your infinate knowledge of the realms what books should i read....by who....and how in general should i go about this?......p.s. i promise not to mention salvatore or Paolini anymore lol
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 07:02:32
Heh, I guess I've always used Hyenadons in my own Gnoll-based ideas (I'm a big fan of Megafauna!), so to me, Fiendish is ACTUALLY Fiendish and different. :)
Aes Tryl Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:54:36
Actually i like the introduction of greater demons as long as no one gets crazy enough to want to challenge them directly, it adds flavour to the realms
Jorkens Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:43:41
I agree on that use, but as with gods; I prefer greater demons to stay far in the background. As you may have guessed I am no fan of the Planescape connection. Shamans and religious doctrine can both cause trouble and flesh out the gnolls on their own. Common hyenadons have so little mention that common hyenadons would still be a new element to a story.
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:35:35
Well, I am just too big a fan of Planar beings, I suppose. I'd probably use him as the patron for some tribes, and maybe have some shamans/clerics of him as the 'elders.' Maybe some fiendish hyenadons, though...
Jorkens Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:29:08
He's been around for thousands of years in the realms, I prefer to keep him that way; in the background. I am tired of demons in all shapes and forms, therefore a gnoll as they are presented would be nice.
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:19:18
Yeenoghu is hardly "another demon" in my book. He's been around for 30 years! ;)
Jorkens Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:17:42
I would prefer a standard gnoll as a villain to another demon, being "normal" would set him out from the crowd more actually.
Aes Tryl Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:13:17
Yeah thayans treat them like fodder unfortunately or pit fighters for amusement. we don't see any serious gnollish villains in the realms as i said before go YEENOGHU!!
Unfortunately from what I've read he doesn't seem that smart (well appearances are deceiving) but then again the Thayans were the ones who trapped Eltab so it would make for some pretty interesting conflit
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:08:24
True! Another reason I like the UE. :)
Archwizard Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 06:06:37
They seem to be plentiful in the Unapproachable East. Rather common shock troops for Thay or something like that.
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 04:29:13
Yeenoghu would learn 'em good!
Aes Tryl Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 04:23:22
Hmm i don't know much about gnolls, they don't really get much street cred in the realms. Its kinda like look theres a gnoll, and the PCs burst out in laughter. . . just my two cents worth.
But for those players, a visit from Yeenoghu would be well. . . educational :D
GothicDan Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 03:53:22
I LOVE gnolls. I'm not sure why, precisely. And Yeenoghu is pretty cool, too. It might be in part nostalgic, looking back at the old Dragonquest game I played, and because my ex was really into gnolls. *Snickers*

They're among some of my favorite "animal-ish people" (along with manscorpions and wemics).
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:40:44
polymorph!....thats the word i was looking for
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:39:44
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

yeah im pretty sure thats what i ment....whats up with those things...huge goblin things that can like....morph?...whats the correct term for that?

polymorph
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:39:22
run? are you sure i cant meet them head on in some combat?....im sure id get murdered hard core but....its worth a try...and if i had some help from candlekeep resisdents im sure i could route some gnolls easily lol...i should read soldiers of ice...and overeagerness is my middle name ;)
Jorkens Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:36:45
Gnolls are fun and highly underrepresented in lore. The hyena-men are strong in the lands north of Zenthil Keep and played a part in sacking the city. Soldiers of Ice is the nearest you come a gnoll novel.

And if you meet them Genis, their easy to identify. They are hairy and armed, you can try smiling to them and if they smile back and laugh hysterically whilst drawing their weapons, run for your life. This is a clear sign of gnolls, but this tactic also works well with madmen, ogres and scribes that see their favorite lore thread upon.

PS I will join those that agree with the Sages post; the blocking of the threads had with our overeagerness, not with anything you wrote.
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:35:12
yeah im pretty sure thats what i ment....whats up with those things...huge goblin things that can like....morph?...whats the correct term for that?
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:32:26
quote:

i'll take note of that lol...you wouldnt happen to know what those huge goblin things from other planes of existance are called do you?

I think you are speaking of the Bargest from Ghenna (sp?)
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 19:28:41
i'll take note of that lol...you wouldnt happen to know what those huge goblin things from other planes of existance are called do you?
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 18:34:40
quote:

i thought so...but yeah hyena like...thats what i was picturing..just thought i would check...incase i see a band of them i can properly identify them lol

watch out for the flinds too! They are the shorter, smarter hyena-men with the numchucks
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 18:25:16
i thought so...but yeah hyena like...thats what i was picturing..just thought i would check...incase i see a band of them i can properly identify them lol
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 18:23:43
quote:

i feel as tho i should bring up an interesting topic but i have none to mention...ummmm...so is the FR version of a gnoll like...a wolfish kinda creature?

gnolls are supposed to be more hyena-like men than wolf-like men...
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 18:20:50
i feel as tho i should bring up an interesting topic but i have none to mention...ummmm...so is the FR version of a gnoll like...a wolfish kinda creature?
Genis Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 17:12:25
no it hasnt caused personally irritation i just thought it was kinda funny how both my first threads we closed down...but yeah i understand with the aggreassive opinions and whatnot...i myself get pretty toasted when arguing about an opinion of mine so i see what you mean
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 11:15:47
I just want to echo the words of the Sage.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 09:41:00
quote:
p.s. i promise not to mention salvatore or Paolini anymore lol

Oh you can mention Salvatore Dali

But seriously, I think most of us have read his work, liked it in the beginning and have gripes with some things...it's to be expected, Pick ten readers of the same book and you get ten different opinions, unless it's TV guide that is

One thing we all agree on, I think, is that people should honor the lore that has come before. If that ain't the case, to say it with Johnny Storm: "Flame on!"
The Sage Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 09:21:23
quote:

so far since ive been here ive got two threads closed....been told i need to read more...realized i do need to read more....found out i know almost nothing compared to most of you extremly learned folk....and the list goes on...lol so to say the least this is been humbling i must say i have to learn alot more....plus my threads always turn controversal and get closed....so anyways i dont know what the point of this way other then to express how GREAT THIS FORUM IS!....never before have i ever been this humbled...and by people i can honestly say rock my socks off...lol you guys and your big words and almost too subtle insults and ahhhh you guys rock....hats off to you and well met...once again...by the way....say i did want to at least try to catch up to you guys and your infinate knowledge of the realms what books should i read....by who....and how in general should i go about this?......p.s. i promise not to mention salvatore or Paolini anymore lol

Before I get to the main part of your post Genis, let me just say... the sealing of some of the scrolls you've opened are not a reflection on you personally or your facility for the Realmslore, but rather an indication of how sensitive and problematic some topics in the Realmslore can be. Your opinions and perspectives on the Realmslore are just as important as any other opinions and perspectives expressed by other scribes here at Candlekeep. I apologise, on behalf of all the mods and admin staff of Candlekeep, if these scroll closures have caused you any personal irritation.

So, as you've no doubt noticed, nearly every scribe here at Candlekeep has some part of the Realms they are extremely passionate about. Oftentimes, these subjects will pop up here and will attract the attention of scribes with alternating views on the subject itself or part of the Realmslore being discussed. I'll admit to being rather "passionate" myself at times, about parts of the Realmslore, both here and at the gaming table... it is, largely, only natural for a shared world like the Realms to be the focus of such developments. It's also a reflection of the fact that some of us here, as long-time Realms fans, have been with the setting from the time of its published origins back in 1987... so we tend to be a little more "aggressive" in our opinions about certain Realmslore aspects, than those scribes who may still be new to the setting, or have only been with the Realms since the release of the 3e FRCS. We have the experience necessary for appreciating some of the changes that have come along and what that has meant to parts of the Realmslore we've learnt about previously. Understandably, this can make us angry and can lead to situations on message boards where conflicting views about the changes can meet. You've undoubtedly noticed that Candlekeep, like most FR message boards, is not free of this either -- as I said before, it's bound to occur given the shared nature of the Realms, but also, because of the wide diversity in Realms fans who've approached the setting from different times and through different mediums. There'll likely never be an end to these types of lore conflicts, and as the Realms grows through the direction of multiple writers and game designers and moves into new editions... some of these present conflicts may likely become even more aggressive. But we must always remember that we are all fans of this great setting, and above all, we must appreciate that there will always been players, DMs, scribes, fellow posters, who simply do not have the luxury of having been with the setting from the beginning. This, above all, is an important consideration -- especially when sharing views in an online community such as Candlekeep. I hope that the other mods and I have been somewhat successful in doing our parts to keep these types of discussions from becoming too prevalent here.

So, if you or any other scribe reading this feel like this is not the case, please contact me privately so we can discuss what you feel may be the problem, and we'll go from there.
GothicDan Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 08:27:02
quote:
I still have to read some 30 books stacked in my room

I feel you there. Oi!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 11 Aug 2006 : 08:26:14
Genis... there are a couple of threads that deal with new readers and what to read, so whatever I'd suggest could stand there already, but if you have the time, try to find the Finder's Stone Trilogy, and the Empires Trilogy, then go and read Elaine Cunningham's and Ed's books...oh and the Cormyr saga...from there you are on your own, I'd say... I still have to read some 30 books stacked in my room

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000