Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  17:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi is of course on of the great demon lords of the Abyss. And I'm seeking more information out on her.

I need some more information from all of you in general. I ave Hordes of the Abyss which details several of the Lords very nicely, but I'm seeking more out on Malcanthet's followers. What type of people are they? How do they act in battles? Are there more books with information on her, if so what?

I'm seeking this by next Thursday in hopes of having my little project done for the most part by the time of GenCon. Kuje has helped me tremendously and has properly asked for more information concerning something she is involved in, and I dont want to just go off of what I have in Hordes of the Abyss, I want to hear what players have done with her if anything, with her followers, what they do preciesly in your campaign, etc.

It's rather big what I've got going with her, or rather a big involvement I should say, so I'd like to nail it on the head properly rather then having a bent nail in the board

Edit: The information can also come from places like DRAGON and DUNGEON as well.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Edited by - Neriandal Freit on 01 Aug 2006 18:05:00

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  14:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neriandal Freit

Malcanthet, Queen of the Succubi is of course on of the great demon lords of the Abyss. And I'm seeking more information out on her.

I need some more information from all of you in general. I ave Hordes of the Abyss which details several of the Lords very nicely, but I'm seeking more out on Malcanthet's followers. What type of people are they? How do they act in battles? Are there more books with information on her, if so what?

I'm seeking this by next Thursday in hopes of having my little project done for the most part by the time of GenCon. Kuje has helped me tremendously and has properly asked for more information concerning something she is involved in, and I dont want to just go off of what I have in Hordes of the Abyss, I want to hear what players have done with her if anything, with her followers, what they do preciesly in your campaign, etc.

It's rather big what I've got going with her, or rather a big involvement I should say, so I'd like to nail it on the head properly rather then having a bent nail in the board

Edit: The information can also come from places like DRAGON and DUNGEON as well.

my gut tells me she was created for the Hordes of the Abyss and there is no other real information

I'd have to go into my 2nd Planescape stuff but if she is mentioned there it is probably only her name, I don't ever remember a "queen of the succumbi" and until HotA she definately was never mentioned as one of the "great demon lords of the Abyss"

sorry I couldn't help more

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  14:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could be correct, appearntly two other minior demon lords by the name of Shami-Amourae and Lynkhab have been attempting for the title of "Queen of the Succubi".

If no one posts any information on her, I'll have to try to write out this battle as best I can, I rather fear I'll butcher it.

Hordes does say this about a couple of her followers tho, "Malcanthet has many cults on the Material Plane - groups of courtesans, hedonists and bored nobles seeking a dangerous thrill to add to their lives. Her clerics have access to the domains of Chaos, Evil, Tempation and Trickery".

It also states that "Lamias, harpies and half-fiend nymphs serve her as well." So I think it sort of states that any "beautiful evil" basically, so if anyone knows of any "beautiful evil" creatures, let me know about that too.

Let me know your opinions of what sort of levels some of her followers would be, if they're just pure clerics or are they a few classes, things like that cause it'll all effect how I try to describe some of this battle.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  15:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any monster that has a high Charisma and uses guile, seduction or charm would be attracted to her worship, like werefoxes and weretigers (the evil ones), vampires, sirines, corrupted neireds (sp?)...I remember the sand brides from Dark Sun, the lutum in Spelljammer...black widows in Ravenloft...Al'Quadim and Kara-Tur have seductive monsters too..

I think her worshipers would include mostly bards, sorcerers and "clerics", any class that can use a high Cha...

In the Realms I think her greatest foes would be Sune and Sharess...maybe an alliance with Lovitar or even Talona...I would make it that Malcanthet has just discovered Toril (probably from the Abyssal grape vine as Orcus and Eltab among others have had alot of dealings there) and she has just a small beachhead there...in one of the decadent areas like Calimshan (not Thay, too many wizards there and too much demon history in the East)...I think she would have one "chosen" cult leader, a very high level Thrall (lv 14-20) with a few high level cohorts, a handful (5-20) young half-demon spawn, a number (20-50) of cult followers and a few affiliated tribes/clans/groups of monstrous allies

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  15:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bow before the awesome power of the Net!

According to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcanthet#References

Malcanthet has appeared in

Dragon 341
FC: Hordes of the Abyss
Dungeon 112 and 124

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  15:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything there in the last paragraph sounds about right for my ideaology, I dont think she's been in Toril Material Prime for long, but at least over hundred and fifty years as of this battle in the year 1291 DR. Sune and Sharess are the ideal enemies of hers, but so is Lathander after this battle. (Did I say to much? )

Dargoth, I just seen your post, as I suspected, she has made appearnces in DUNGEON and DRAGON magainzes before...most interesting. So, next question is, if anyone has Dungeon 112 and 124, along with Dragon 341, mind posting the information that protains to her?

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  15:23:48  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everything there in the last paragraph sounds about right for my ideaology, I dont think she's been in Toril Material Prime for long, but at least over hundred and fifty years as of this battle in the year 1291 DR. Sune and Sharess are the ideal enemies of hers, but so is Lathander after this battle. (Did I say to much? )

Dargoth, I just seen your post, as I suspected, she has made appearnces in DUNGEON and DRAGON magainzes before...most interesting. So, next question is, if anyone has Dungeon 112 and 124, along with Dragon 341, mind posting the information that protains to her?

I have Dungeon 124 and dragon 341, I can't remember if I have Dun. 112 but I'm at work so I can't chack till this evening

Lathander? I would think Tyr is more appropriate...Lathander can be such a goof at times, I could see him getting seduced by the queen

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  15:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, maybe a Drag-Queen but not this Queen

But yes, after this certain battle she declares him an enemy. Dont worry about checking them untill you have time, I wont have much time my self but if you can check when you do have the time, I'd appreicate it tremendously.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  18:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But yes, after this certain battle she declares him an enemy. Don’t worry about checking them until you have time, I won’t have much time my self but if you can check when you do have the time, I'd appreciate it tremendously.

I quickly skimmed over the magazines and found this (it's not much)

Dragon 341 : In the article “Baphomet, Prince of Beasts” p. 24 it says that Baphomet has been attempting to forge an alliance with Malcanthet against Yeenoghu but they may be too different for that. That is all I could find there.

Dungeon 112 :

p. 25 Room 15 : Tapestry Room – there is a tapestry of Malcanthet worth 1000gp

p. 32 there was an ancient Suel cult of Malcanthet

p. 48 room 55 : Dangerous statue – a statue that was a gate to Malcanthet’s realm so succumbi could be summoned for ceremonies...the statue has some succumbi-like powers

p. 73 Room 100: Columns of Faces and Symbols – One symbol, a winged figure, represents the Underworld. (Malcanthet, the Mother of Succubi).

p. 84 Sidebar: the Head of House Maure was mortally wounded by Malcanthet and saved under suspended animation, preserved in the lowest crypts

Dungeon 124 : In the Adventure “Chamber of Antiques” p. 96 the minor artifact Codex of Dead Names was created/written by Elluvia Maure, whose patron is Malcanthet, it is a book about the lives and deaths of over 500 demons, many of whom Malcanthet killed herself. That is all I could find there.

It looks like Eric Mona used Malcanthet as a patron of some of the Maure Clan knowing she was to be upgraded in the Hordes of the Abyss

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  18:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there aren't earlier sources, then there probably aren't any more than have been listed and Malcanthet looks to be the creation of Rob Kuntz, so you could ask him about her on his message boards.

Edited by - Faraer on 04 Aug 2006 18:35:22
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  19:19:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before Hordes of the Abyss, there were 3 demon lords in obscure sources who could have claimed the title of Queen of the Succubi: Malcanthet, Shami-Amourae, and Lynkhab. Hordes of the Abyss updates all of them, focusing on the current title holder Malcanthet. Expect to learn more about Shami-Amourae in Savage Tide Adventure Path #10. Shami-Amourae was first detailed in Dungeon #5.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2006 :  22:22:00  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo!!!
Eric once again proves why he is The Man

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  03:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very fun, very fun indeed. I will have to relook at all of this in the morning when I wake up and before work.

Thank you all thus far :D

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  11:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could say that when Sune rescued Sharess from Shar during the Time of Troubles the Goddess of love expelled Shars evil taint from Sharess which took the form of Malcanthet. This makes Malcanthet a fairly new realms enitity and expalians why shes never been heard of in the realms.

The downside is the ideas not exactly original as it closely mirrors the Tymora/Beshaba story

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  13:56:22  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that problem with that would be that I feel that she would have already been in Toril for at least 150'ish years by the time of this great battle of mine, simply because I think that she is a "behind the scenes, slowly working" sort of demoness.

But of course it would always explain to people the "Right, so when Sune saved Sharess from Shar, where did all the bad stuff go?" question to adegree, again tho your correct is that it does mirror the Tymora/Beshaba story.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  14:23:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

You could say that when Sune rescued Sharess from Shar during the Time of Troubles the Goddess of love expelled Shars evil taint from Sharess which took the form of Malcanthet. This makes Malcanthet a fairly new realms enitity and expalians why shes never been heard of in the realms.

The downside is the ideas not exactly original as it closely mirrors the Tymora/Beshaba story

Take it one step further: Malcanthet was already a powerful succubus and a rising Abyssal power when the ToT happened. The evil expelled from Sharess became something that was between an aspect and an avatar. Before it could move to become a power on its own, Malcanthet absorbed it, giving herself a power boost.

Sure, that still keeps the Beshaba/Tymora thing (which I honestly don't see as a problem; Vhaeraun went the opposite route), but it puts a new element in it and allows Malcanthet to have been around for a while.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  14:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True enough.

But that still leaves me hanging on how her followers act and everything of that nature.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  18:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But yes, after this certain battle she declares him an enemy. Dont worry about checking them untill you have time, I wont have much time my self but if you can check when you do have the time, I'd appreicate it tremendously.

Odd to read that line with Malcanthet when one considers all the times that Graz'zt has posed as her to make trouble...
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2008 :  18:51:18  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True enough.

But that still leaves me hanging on how her followers act and everything of that nature.

James Jacobs covered Malcanthet and her cult in one of his Demonomicon articles, in Dragon #349 r 353, I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  14:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Dragon 353.

Sorry for the scroll necromancy, but I'm looking for information on Malcanthet. BTW did you know she is the mother of the Red Shroud and thus the grandmother of Fall-From-Grace?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  16:06:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These tomes -
  • Dragon #341, #353, #355(?)

• Dungeon #5, #112, #124, #148

• Fiendish Codex: Hordes of the Abyss

• Faces of Evil: The Fiends

• These wiki pages -
  • Malcanthet (Queen of the Succubi; Ruler of Shendilavri, 570th layer of the Abyss)

• wikipedia, succubus.net, FR wiki, statuga.com
  • Red Shroud

• succubus.net, deathstar.org
  • Lynkhab (failed contender for Queen of the Succubi; Lady of Desire and Depression, Lady of Regrets; Ruler of the Sighing Cliffs, 297th layer of the Abyss)

• succubus.net
  • Shami-Amourae (Succubus Goddess of Debased Eros, The Lady of Delights)

• wikipedia, succubus.net
  • Xinivrae (failed contender for Queen of the Succubi; cast by Malcanthet into the Dreaming Gulf, 230th layer of the Abyss)

• Named succubi, incubi, demon lords

• wikipedia, succubus.net

(many others, although most of the rest seem to just copy these sources; succubi are a popular topic on the internet)

Only these Candlekeep scrolls mention Malcanthet substantially -
  • Alternate Realms

• Template questions: The children of good Succubi

• Cambions and Alu-Fiends Return to 3.5 [Page 1] (and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits download)

• Questions for Eric L Boyd [Page 27]

• Also -
    If you're playing 4E you might consider Glasya, Fierna, Rhyxali, and Shaktari being succubi. Perhaps (dare I say it?) even Lolth.

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7971 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2010 :  16:28:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Although not D&D canon, RL mythology and folklore have no shortage of seductive/dangerous succubi-type creatures, not least of which being Lilith and her Lilin.

And check out these succubi babes! I wouldn't last more than a week in Faerûn, keep those demon-summoning spellbooks away from me.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 23 Dec 2010 16:30:40
    Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
    Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  05:24:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Zireal, from what source is Fall-From-Grace?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
    Master of Realmslore

Poland
    1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  09:14:08  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fellfire

Zireal, from what source is Fall-From-Grace?

Planescape: Torment (computer game), and she even gets a mention in Dragon 353.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/

Edited by - Zireael on 24 Dec 2010 09:14:28
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7971 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  09:50:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    She is mentioned in many of the wiki links I posted; I deliberately excluded her, thinking she wasn't strictly canon. Sorry.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 24 Dec 2010 09:51:32
    Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
    Senior Scribe

USA
    624 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  17:37:30  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'm AFB but I seem to recall that Malcanthet is mentioned in conjunction with Sonellion in Champions of Ruin. As such, you night want to ask George Krashos if he has further musings on M.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  18:29:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Arik

Although not D&D canon, RL mythology and folklore have no shortage of seductive/dangerous succubi-type creatures, not least of which being Lilith and her Lilin.

And check out these succubi babes! I wouldn't last more than a week in Faerûn, keep those demon-summoning spellbooks away from me.

I'm going to have to pass that link on to a friend... He's a huge Morrigan fanboy.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
    Go to Top of Page

The Sage
    Procrastinator Most High

Australia
    31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2010 :  23:57:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm going to have to pass that link on to a friend... He's a huge Morrigan fanboy.

I suddenly find myself eager to worship at this altar as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
    Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
    Senior Scribe

Australia
    921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I suddenly find myself eager to worship at this altar as well.

Why am I not surprised?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
    Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
    Great Reader

Canada
    7971 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  10:07:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I recall something similar to this being joked about in one of the FR novels:

Female Hero 1: "OMG, it's a demon! We're screwed!"
    Male Hero: "Not really. She's just a basic Type V Marilith. She's resistant to spells, cold, fire, and electricity, but vulnerable to acid, poison, cold iron, and our magic weapons. She'll be entirely powerless if we can seize her amulet."
    Female Hero 1: "Wow ... you're an expert on demons?"
    Female Hero 2: "He's an expert on certain kinds of demons and monsters. Maraliths, succubi, alu-demons, erinyes, dryads, nereids, nymphs, sirines, sylphs, swanmays, harpies, mermaids, medusae, lamias, gynosphinxes, tabaxi ... I'll bet he knows a little about some types of djinn, elementals, elves, giants, vampires, and shapeshifters. I've seen the illustrations in the monster books our young scholar friend has studied."
    Female Hero 1: "You must've spent a lot of time studying those books."
    Male Hero: "Um ... yeah." <blushing>

[/Ayrik]
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  10:15:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Maybe from one of the books in The Pools series.

Every beginning has an end.
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000