Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A few General Questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  05:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi I'm new to Candlekeep and have a few realms related questions:
1)In the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting under fighters it mentions Gondgal the lost king, he also gets mentioned in a few computer games set in the realms. I know he tried to establish his own kingdom and was put down by King Azoun the IV but know nothing else about him. What novel(s) does he appear in and is he still alive?
2)How on earth does one pronounce Ffolk?
3)What are the levels of the High Captains of Luskan? I have the Lords of Darkness book but it mentions their names only.
4)I recently read the 'Best swordsman' topic as I have a preference for non spellcaster heros in the novels i read and in the characters i play and Ed's reply named alot of characters i am not familiar with like:
Harmel Artu
Maethrammer Aerasume
Loaros Hammarander
Skoalam Marlgrask
Sraece Telthorn
and others and was wondering which novels do they appear in and just interested in knowing a bit more about them.

Now I have read quite a few of the Forgotten realms novels (most of EC's and RAS's stuff plus the fighters series, the return of the Archwizards, Moonshae trilogy, house of serpents series, last mythal and others) and have played in or run realms based campaigns for about the last 5 years so I'm not a novice but these things have really bugged me for awhile and when I found out about Candlekeep I thought I'd turn to the sages here. Any assistance is really appreciated.

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  05:25:00  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forgotten Ghost
3)What are the levels of the High Captains of Luskan? I have the Lords of Darkness book but it mentions their names only.

Try : The North (available on WOTC web site).

quote:
4)I recently read the 'Best swordsman' topic as I have a preference for non spellcaster heros in the novels i read and in the characters i play and Ed's reply named alot of characters i am not familiar with like:
Harmel Artu
Maethrammer Aerasume
Loaros Hammarander
Skoalam Marlgrask
Sraece Telthorn
and others and was wondering which novels do they appear in and just interested in knowing a bit more about them.

They were yet unpublished NPCs (I think).
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  05:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Skeptic
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  05:36:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The faith of Gondegal was a mystery mentioned briefly in several older products, but there was never definitive information and though Gondegal would be rather old by now he could still be alive.
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Gondegal never actually appeared in and Novels or been Stated out? Also what did he look like and what was his weapon/fighting style? I anyone has any idea.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:04:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methrammar Aerasume has been discussed in Realmslore--he's not a recently made up or unpublished character. I believe there is a profile about him in the archives of the WotC site, and he appears in the novel Forsaken House, and the 3E Silver Marches sourcebook. He is one of Alustriel's sons.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:08:32  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was he the Half Elf guy leading the Silverymoon forces in Forsaken house, who met up with the retreating Elves of the High Forest? I thought the name sounded familiar...
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:11:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was he the Half Elf guy leading the Silverymoon forces in Forsaken house, who met up with the retreating Elves of the High Forest?

Yup. And I could barely stand him in that novel.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:14:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard, at least during 1e/2e, that Gondgal was snattched by the Mists of Ravenloft and so he still did/does reside in Ravenloft. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  06:20:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember that Gondegal was a level20 CN fighter fighting with bastard or two-handed sword.

And Kuje; I have heard the Ravenloft link before, but I just summed it up as one more rumour. I assume that it was a Ravenloft product that had this information, I just wondered, was this set in stone or was it more of a rumour? Just curious as there were some many loose Gondegal threads being presented throughout 2ed.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  07:10:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

And Kuje; I have heard the Ravenloft link before, but I just summed it up as one more rumour. I assume that it was a Ravenloft product that had this information, I just wondered, was this set in stone or was it more of a rumour? Just curious as there were some many loose Gondegal threads being presented throughout 2ed.

Not sure, it might be in one of the Ravenloft products that I don't own, which is why I went with the I heard comment. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Jul 2006 07:11:07
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  07:28:13  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, I found it. I have never looked at a 3ed ravenloft product, so I can not say anything about Gondegals stats, Forgotten Ghost, but I think it is your best official source.

quote:

Originaly posted by the Sage 10 jul 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To the best of my knowledge, Gondegal has never really been featured in a Ravenloft novel. The original boxed set placed him there; I believe he's the leader of a mercenary army.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gondegal was mentioned, by name only, in one of the novels featuring Tristen Hiregaard.

He's also detailed and stat'd in one of the 3e Gazetteers.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  07:56:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah,

See I don't own the original box set and I didn't check the 3e ones. :)

BTW, Ed discussed that npc last year on April 19th. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Jul 2006 08:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  08:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeeze you guys are FAST! I barely remembered Maethrammer Aerasume, also thanks for the info on Gondegal all. Just another quick question are the artifacts Thakorsil's Seat and the Deathmoon orb stated out in the Magic of Faerun book because if they are I was going to buy it.
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  08:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also does anyone know how to pronounce Ffolk? (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this kind of thing). Oh yeah and anyone know anything about Balduran the founder of Baldur's Gate?
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  09:23:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also does anyone know how to pronounce Ffolk? (I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this kind of thing). Oh yeah and anyone know anything about Balduran the founder of Baldur's Gate?

I think one of the F's will have to be silent and the pronunciation is just as Folk; If you want you could maybe sharpen the F sound a little bit to differentiate the two terms.

When it comes to Balduran I think the best sources are the old Forgotten Realms Adventures, and maybe Volos Guide to the Sword coast. The last one is a free download from Wizards page I think.
From what I remember Balduran was a sea captain and explorer of the western sea that long ago had the walls of the city built with his riches, to protect the harbor from marauders. He later sailed out on another journey and never returned.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  09:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jeeze you guys are FAST! I barely remembered Maethrammer Aerasume, also thanks for the info on Gondegal all. Just another quick question are the artifacts Thakorsil's Seat and the Deathmoon orb stated out in the Magic of Faerun book because if they are I was going to buy it.

Well met

Aye, my fellow scribes delight in providing Realmslore to all Welcome to Candlekeep, Forgotten Ghost. I hope ye enjoy thy stay.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  11:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the sages here have certainly lived up to their reputation. All assistance rendered is appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  13:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gondegal's disappearance to Ravenloft is noted in passing in the FR13 Anauroch accessory.

The artifacts you seek are not statted out in magic of Faerun. They were given 2E stats in Volo's Guide to All Things magical.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  15:48:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And according to Ed, Ffolk is pronounced (I'm exaggerating here):
"FfffOAK."
(In other words, slightly lengthen a single "F" sound, and then come down emphatically on the "olk" - - which should end up sounding like "oak" or "oke").
Ed wrote up a mini-bio of Gondegal years back, as part of a "list of recently vanished Realms NPCs who could be whisked off to Ravenloft," but I believe it's still NDA. Gondegal is mentioned in many, many places in Realmslore, including CORMYR: A NOVEL by Ed and Jeff Grubb.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  16:56:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

Gondegal's disappearance to Ravenloft is noted in passing in the FR13 Anauroch accessory.

The artifacts you seek are not statted out in magic of Faerun. They were given 2E stats in Volo's Guide to All Things magical.

The Swordsage

And the Spellbound box set where they play a part in one of the modules.

Balduran sailed to the lands of Maztica, Anchorane? SP? I butchered that spelling, and never returned as far as we know.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  22:31:36  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Gondegal never actually appeared in and Novels or been Stated out? Also what did he look like and what was his weapon/fighting style? I anyone has any idea.

He is statted in one of the Ravenloft tomes (or boxed sets) as a Knight of Shadows, or something like that...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  22:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to be of assistance.

By the way, I always thought "Ffolk" was a dumb word.

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  23:29:44  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to complete the information about Gondegal.

You can find his 2ed stats in the boxed set Realm of Terror for Ravenloft. There is a nice picture of him also on page 98 of the book. He's described as a 20th level Warrior, CN. He's been wandering the Demi plane of Falkovnia seeking adventure. At least that's the Ravenloft versino.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  01:58:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have not found Gondegal in a 3rd Ed. Source book - bhere is the info: p. 144 of Ravenlof Gazetteer Vol 2.

He is known as Gondegal the Lost King, the Knight of Falkovnia.
His stats are Fighter10/Knight of Shadow* 6.

*(PrC from Ravenloft)

Hope that helps.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  02:01:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methrammar Aerasumé
his stats, as correctly pointed out by Rinonalyrna, are to be found here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20021009a

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Jul 2006 02:07:20
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  03:18:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, I agree, and I suspect Ed does, too, but Doug Niles put it into the Realms, and we're all stuck with it.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  04:04:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, true enough. But thank you nonetheless for telling us how to pronounce that word.

Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Ghost
Acolyte

Australia
36 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  07:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Forgotten Ghost's Homepage Send Forgotten Ghost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Ergdusch i spent ages looking for it on the wizards site with no luck.
And to you Rinonalyrna Fathomlin yeah I agree when I was talking to some friends about the Moonshae trilogy and kept saying Ffolk (I'd say f folk) it just made me sound like i had developed a stutter, hence why I wanted to know how to pronounce it properly.
To everyone Thanks heaps for the assist oh and I think its spelt Anchorome Kuje if I'm thinking of the same place as you.
Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  08:25:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the link Ergdusch i spent ages looking for it on the wizards site with no luck.
And to you Rinonalyrna Fathomlin yeah I agree when I was talking to some friends about the Moonshae trilogy and kept saying Ffolk (I'd say f folk) it just made me sound like i had developed a stutter, hence why I wanted to know how to pronounce it properly.
To everyone Thanks heaps for the assist oh and I think its spelt Anchorome Kuje if I'm thinking of the same place as you.
Cheers!

Yeah, that's it. :) I just didn't feel like looking it up.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  19:58:02  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Just to complete the information about Gondegal.

You can find his 2ed stats in the boxed set Realm of Terror for Ravenloft. There is a nice picture of him also on page 98 of the book. He's described as a 20th level Warrior, CN. He's been wandering the Demi plane of Falkovnia seeking adventure. At least that's the Ravenloft versino.

And to complete even more: In 2nd edition, Gondegal has a write-up in later life in Champions of the Mist, pp. 47-49.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000