Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Castlemourn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  16:05:08  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
quote:
Originally posted by EnWorld
Margaret Weis Productions will be releasing Ed Greenwood's Castlemourn Campaign Setting this fall: "Castlemourn is a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting where kingdoms fight for power through political intrigue and outright warfare; where the brave seek their fortunes in dangerous ruins, and where everyone fears the unspeakable evil that shadows their land." A Player’s Guide to Castlemourn, a 32-page quick-start guide to the setting will be released in August, with the core setting book following in the fall.

It's not realm-related but..

Edited by - Skeptic on 29 Jun 2006 16:39:12

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  20:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems pretty strongly related to the Realms to me.

I wonder why the name change.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  15:57:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Margaret preferred to accentuate the "mourning the Fall" rather than the "new beginning," I believe (mourn versus morn), and Ed didn't mind.
(This is something I've gathered, rather than a direct confirmation from Ed.)
Ed has in the past said Castlemourn could be used as "another continent" in the Realms, for those who want to do so, but it's changed from his non-game-system-or-edition-specific, pure-lore game setting into a d20 setting. However, any DM can still use it with the Realms. As Ed's quote in the press release alludes, it has the same essential "magic" as the Realms: it feels like a real, living place.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  16:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does Castlemourn differ itself from the standard european fantasy mold? If used as another continent in the Realms, which continent would Ed suggest?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  21:25:07  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, FR differs from the standard European fantasy mold in and of itself. The Vilhon Reach and Thay spring to mind immediately.

And I'll also note that I'm more excited about this than I have been about many of the 3E FR products lately. That's so sad.. :(

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 04 Jul 2006 21:26:33
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  22:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the press release for more on the Castlemo(u)rn 'concept'. That said, I expect its tone will be close enough to the Realms that material can be easily crossed between them, which isn't true of all Realms sourcebooks. That's why this is directly Realms-relevant; it's also a possible criticism of Ed in the same way that, for instance, he doesn't change his naming style enough when working in other people's settings (I don't buy Rautheene as a Greyhawk name).

Edited by - Faraer on 04 Jul 2006 22:24:29
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  22:27:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, interesting stuff to think over. I'm going to keep an eye out for this setting, myself, even though I'm not sure that I'd want to consider it as a part of Toril.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2006 :  23:55:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A part of Toril - not for me. I will take a close look at the setting though, definitaly. Will it be good enough to lure me away from the realms?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  15:07:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, all.
The physical setting of Castlemourn is geographically isolated: a long coastal band of countries hemmed in on three sides by mountain ranges. On the fourth side, those ranges arc out into the sea to form a string of islands that shelter a bay. Treacherous shoals, currents, and mists imperil sailing “along the coast” off the map (and the only feature known to be “out there” in one direction is a fell city of wizards.
So this could be placed on any temperate-clime seacoast, and MIGHT (if a DM wished to do so) be put “on the other side of the globe” that holds Faerûn, in one of the seven continents Ed placed there (WotC published far different ones in the FR Atlas without Ed’s approval). It also works as a self-contained, standalone setting.
And Brian, Ed has worked out a detailed recent history for everything (as for ancient times . . . well, you’ll just have to read the setting). As Faraer mentioned, this has been a long time seeing print; its root material is years old, now.
For legal reasons, Castlemourn and the Realms will always be presented as completely separate settings. As anyone who’s talked with Ed knows, Ed has always linked multiple worlds with gates (D&D 3e “portals”), and there’s no reason any DM can’t do the same thing. Castlemourn is really about handing gamers fourteen or so fairly detailed new lands to have their characters explore.
I’m sure if you pose questions to Ed in his thread, he’ll be happy to say more.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 05 Jul 2006 15:10:52
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  16:01:22  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard of another new setting by Monte Cook - Ptolus. It will be very expensive though - 120€. Will Castlemourn cost about the same?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  19:22:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gosh, no. Monte has written a city (BEAUTIFULLY done), and is selling it as an "all in one" box, for over $100 USD.
Margaret Weis Productions is releasing a Players Guide "taste of the world" launch for under $10 USD, I believe, followed by a "typical d20" hardcover for (I'm guessing here) 40 or 50 dollars or less, plus some (planned) smaller and cheaper future products.
Or so I've gathered...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  01:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, am I really that transparent? Yes, if Castlemourn includes a timeline then I'm almost sure to buy it.

And though WotC may never officially locate this setting on Abeir-Toril, there is nothing stopping dedicated fans from tying the settings closer together and posting it on Candlekeep eh?

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And Brian, Ed has worked out a detailed recent history for everything (as for ancient times . . . well, you’ll just have to read the setting).

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  09:04:32  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Gosh, no. Monte has written a city (BEAUTIFULLY done), and is selling it as an "all in one" box, for over $100 USD.
Margaret Weis Productions is releasing a Players Guide "taste of the world" launch for under $10 USD, I believe, followed by a "typical d20" hardcover for (I'm guessing here) 40 or 50 dollars or less, plus some (planned) smaller and cheaper future products.
Or so I've gathered...
love,
THO

Thanks THO, for the quick answer! It comes very much to my relief to here that! I am looking forward to seeing it in stores world wide!

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  15:36:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd use it as a gate destination rather than a continent on Toril. It would be nice to get/write some adventure hooks along those lines.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  05:11:51  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I'd use it as a gate destination rather than a continent on Toril. It would be nice to get/write some adventure hooks along those lines.

I like this idea best of all. I am having a problem of a "post-apocalyptic" setting in "my" realms, regardless of where it is placed on Toril. Overall the setting seems interesting so far and I will most likely check it out.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:53:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seriously cannot wait for this. I've been waiting for Castlemourn (I like the name change BTW) since Ed first outlined his thoughts on the setting back in early '04. Since then some of us have been "keeping up" on asking Ed any new details about its release.

Bring on August.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000