Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Coming soon... the FR Atlas petition!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  03:53:09  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Simon Rogers from Profantasy is preparing an online petition to gather a sizable number of signatures in order to convience WoTC to re-release the Forgotten Realms Atlas.

The petition will be posted on their Profantasy Forgotten Realms site in the coming days.

I'll post when I have more information.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  06:24:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While it sounds good, the sad fact is that online petitions are often (but not always) worth about as much as the paper they're printed on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  07:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True...but there have been some remarkable 'fan' movements that have restored things once thought lost...

Most notable is a show called Family Guy and more recently (and the best news I have had all millenium) is the new of the renewal of Futurama

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/back_to_the_futurama_entertainment_don_kaplan.htm

Any show that can end up with Al Gore, Stephen Hawking, Gary Gygax and Nichelle Nichols playing D&D together can't be all bad .

Still regarding the Atlas...I would personally love to see this done...but it seems that, over the past few years, official repsonses regarding this product have been apathetic at best....

Still if you think my sig can help...you are welcome to it as this is one product I would love to see redone/updated for 3.X

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  11:21:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

True...but there have been some remarkable 'fan' movements that have restored things once thought lost...

I'm not knocking fan movements. I'm specifically referring to online petitions. From what I've read, they simply don't care much weight.

I'll sign this petition, I just don't expect anything to come of it.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  13:07:48  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.profantasy.com/petition/default.asp

Wooly you definately have a point, but I believe ProFantasy has been working with WoTC for a few years on this issue. WoTC has also been bugged by fans, and they've been releasing the 2.0 stuff in PDF for free. So really this is part of a much bigger movement that has been going on for a couple of years now.

Here is Simon's original post:

quote:

We'd really like Wizards of the Coast to re-release the FR Atlas,
just as they've released all those second edition modules as PDFs.
Ideally we'd like to see a new Atlas altogether, but I'm sure many of
you would be happy just to be able to buy the Atlas as it is. The
petition is to encourage them to do one or the other, preferably both.

Bothering Wizards of the Coast by continually emailing them will be
counter productive, but an online petition with a decent number of
signatures may well have a suitable effect.

Obviously, we have good commercial reasons for doing this - we'll get
a royalty, but also we spent months and months creating hundreds of
maps and it seems a real shame to let them languish.

I'm setting up the petition on the ProFantasy Forgotten Realms site
and will post back when its ready. Please do sign!

Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  17:31:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... I was signature 42.

For this to work, the link is going to have to be more widely shared. I'd recommend that people post it in their blogs and share it with their email friends. Plus, someone other than me should post this over on the Wizards forums.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  17:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*examines own fingernails* When was the last time an online petition had the barest smidgen of an effect?
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  19:06:14  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've posted it in the General forums at the WoTC board.

Winterfox,

No idea, but it doesn't hurt to try, since many of us have been trying for a couple years now.=)

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  19:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean to discourage you or anything. The thing is... people who bother reading forum and the like, or bother signing onling petitions tend to be the vocal minority. That, I think, is the reasoning why WotC appears not to listen to its customers. (I'm pretty sure I saw something along this line discussed back when there was still a novel section at Wizards.com.)
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  19:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas Alva Edison - "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

More power to you Wenin.

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  19:19:49  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't take it as discouraging, maybe a bit curmudgeonish. =)

You have a VERY valid point. The reason online petions don't really affect much is because they are so easy to sign.

You're also right that the number of people that go online and read the forums is only a fraction of the WoTC's customer base. Of my gaming group, only two of us ever read any DnD forum, and this is a group of seven players. So those of us that do read the forums should spread the word among their group. If your group members support the idea then they should see about signing the petition.

With the release of the old 2.0 material in PDF, I don't see why WoTC wouldn't allow ProFantasy to release the FR Atlas as well. It could be a download from their website. Shrugs, we can let the corps work that out. =)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  19:43:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

I didn't mean to discourage you or anything. The thing is... people who bother reading forum and the like, or bother signing onling petitions tend to be the vocal minority. That, I think, is the reasoning why WotC appears not to listen to its customers. (I'm pretty sure I saw something along this line discussed back when there was still a novel section at Wizards.com.)

You are correct. Before my wrongful banning from that site, there was a discussion on web features we'd like to see on the WotC site. I suggested a poll. One of the web people came in and flat out stated they weren't interested in gathering any input like that -- they only looked at the number of hits a page had, and, if it wasn't enough, they dropped that feature to try something else. I don't know if that attitude has changed, but it does seem to me that they are still more interested in what we buy, rather than what we want.

I think part of what killed this software, and the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROM, was the price. It's not so much in today's wired world, but when everyone was running NT or Win95, those programs were kinda pricey for a bit of software.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  19:56:44  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only ever seen the eBay pricing results, which go around $60 a year ago when I was in the market. What was the original pricing?

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  20:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this petition limit it to one signature per IP? (I mean, if not, it's one more reason it might not be taken seriously -- you could create a bunch of e-mail addresses and slap on twenty signatures all by your lonesome.)
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  20:47:11  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know the design of the petition, but I don't believe it is by IP address.

The emails all have to be valid, but again you do have a point that I myself could sign the petition three times just from the email accounts I have immediately available.

http://www.chimicon.com/petition/ made the script for the petition. Not seeing anything about IP tracking.

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  22:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I think the petition'll be held suspect, provided the WotC person who looks it over is computer-literate. I personally have four valid e-mail addresses; anyone obsessed enough to do it could register for... well, a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  23:23:19  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if it checked for IP addresses the list could be held as being suspect.

If WoTC choose to not listen, they can find whatever reason to discount a petition. That is the very nature of every petition that goes unverified.

I'm still not sure why WoTC has so far been closed to the idea of having their maps available in an electronic format.

- The format is to open to being modified, as you can modify any map file if you have the ProFantasy software. This line of thinking is contary to the heart of gaming. We all take what they provide us and modify it to suit our needs.

- Electronic copies of data is far easier to pirate than hard copies. True, but once anything goes electronic (by scanning them into PDF format), anyone looking to pirate is going to get their copy. So the honest people are left without legal access to such a helpful product.

It is just so completely cool to have the Forgotten Realms globe at your finger tips. To be able to navigate down through the layers of maps. Then the coolest is being able to link your own maps to the application. Personally the application is one of my dreams come true.

With today's overall move towards information availablity, it is almost inexcusable for WoTC to not have such a product available for each of their worlds. =)

Seems so short sighted to me.

Edited by - Wenin on 27 Jun 2006 23:33:34
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  23:41:58  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One reason why they might not want that reissued is because it uses the old world maps, which WOTC changed in 3/3.5e. :) I'm not saying that that might be the reason, but it could factor into it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  23:48:08  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've thought of that, but ProFantasy could update/create new maps. Plus not all of the maps have been changed.

Wooly Rupert you made me think of an interesting idea. If they look at how many visits to a page, perhaps a number of visits to a thread would help.

WoTC Thread I created Come visit. =) Just be nice please.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  23:57:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I've thought of that, but ProFantasy could update/create new maps. Plus not all of the maps have been changed.

Wooly Rupert you made me think of an interesting idea. If they look at how many visits to a page, perhaps a number of visits to a thread would help.

They could but it also depends on WOTC allowing them to do that. And I don't go to the WOTC boards any more. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  23:57:33  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

One reason why they might not want that reissued is because it uses the old world maps, which WOTC changed in 3/3.5e. :) I'm not saying that that might be the reason, but it could factor into it.

Hello-

Quite possible Kuje. However - in a 'perfect' world - any electronic version of the atlas would include both versions of the map. I know some people here actually have said they make use of both versions - one being 'correct' and one being 'faulted' and the PCs may come into contact with either one depending on circumstances.

I defiantely like the idea - even though I could not run the CC1,2,3 software on the PC I am using at the moment. I would likely be interested in buying this, as I have plans to replace my computer.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  00:14:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Quite possible Kuje. However - in a 'perfect' world - any electronic version of the atlas would include both versions of the map. I know some people here actually have said they make use of both versions - one being 'correct' and one being 'faulted' and the PCs may come into contact with either one depending on circumstances.

Dhomal

Yes, in a perfect world but the maps have changed and so... it might not be in WOTC's best interest to include both sets of maps. :) They changed the maps for a reason, and so.... eh... never mind.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  01:26:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't visit. I swore off the WotC forums after my wrongful banning. I refuse to go back so long as that ban stands.

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  02:05:38  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
/chuckles

You two are funny.

hehe

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  11:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't go by the WOTC boards much anymore either. Though there is someone there with my name...hmm.

Anyway, I signed it. As long as it's not like 60 USD like it is on ebay.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  11:56:25  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know the design of the petition, but I don't believe it is by IP address.

The emails all have to be valid, but again you do have a point that I myself could sign the petition three times just from the email accounts I have immediately available.

http://www.chimicon.com/petition/ made the script for the petition. Not seeing anything about IP tracking.

Almost without expection they check every ip, so there can't be many votes from one person. E-mail check is just to filter away random people i guess. But checking ip is more important.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  02:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What we need is a petition to have a Forgotten Realms GLOBE made. That would be bulky but extremely cool.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  21:44:37  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR Atlas should be like Google Earth. I would love it!
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  16:14:29  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you would not be the only one. When is it out!? I'll travel to the future and bring it back to all of you guys (and gals).

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  18:33:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

And you would not be the only one. When is it out!? I'll travel to the future and bring it back to all of you guys (and gals).

Run Forrest, run! And don´t forget the FR Atlas! I'd buy one at once!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  00:18:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we're ever going to see another Atlas, either in print or in electronic format... Not only have they moved on from doing Realms stuff, but they keep changing the map! 2E had one map, 3E had another, and now there's the 4E one...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000