Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Coming soon... the FR Atlas petition!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wenin Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 03:53:09
Simon Rogers from Profantasy is preparing an online petition to gather a sizable number of signatures in order to convience WoTC to re-release the Forgotten Realms Atlas.

The petition will be posted on their Profantasy Forgotten Realms site in the coming days.

I'll post when I have more information.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeffrie Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 05:33:11
Yeah, i'm pretty dumb about computers and downloads. I just ask first. Speaking of asking, is there a decent, or favorite, character generator out there? There is probably a thread here about that.
Again, if that is an off limit topic, just let me know and i'll not bring it up again.

Is there such a thing as a map (dungeon) generator?

I would gladly pay for an atlas on ebay or somethin, but i hear that it's sort of out of date with 3.5 and 4.0

thanks
The Sage Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 03:20:58
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrie

how much of that atlas is on pdf? Is that wotc legal? I would love to find a download, if it is.

I also apologize if i wasn't supposed to ask that question here.

So far as I know, there are no pdfs of the print atlas available for legal download.

Indeed. Besides, offering such a source as a legal PDF download would likely be A) pricey [given the image-heavy content] for both consumers and publishers, and B) a significantly large download requiring substantial bandwidth.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 02:27:26
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrie

how much of that atlas is on pdf? Is that wotc legal? I would love to find a download, if it is.

So far as I know, there are no pdfs of the print atlas available for legal download.
Jeffrie Posted - 16 Jun 2010 : 14:28:39

The Curt Jester Posted - 24 Apr 2010 : 19:16:32
Well, it may be a solution, but unfortunately, I don't actually play PnP so a $30 set is rather a waste for me as I only want a map. I'm surprised someone hasn't put one online since you can find nearly any other one on the internet.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Apr 2010 : 15:08:06
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by The Curt Jester

What I'd like to see is a map of Kara-tur. I have not been able to find one yet. Having the whole atlas would help, though. :)

The Fonstad Atlas has one. Finding the Kara-Tur box set is a solution of course, but I am not sure what the price is these days.

It can generally be won for less than $30 on eBay.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Apr 2010 : 10:00:56
quote:
Originally posted by The Curt Jester

What I'd like to see is a map of Kara-tur. I have not been able to find one yet. Having the whole atlas would help, though. :)

The Fonstad Atlas has one. Finding the Kara-Tur box set is a solution of course, but I am not sure what the price is these days.
The Curt Jester Posted - 23 Apr 2010 : 20:24:50
The Sage Posted - 10 Dec 2009 : 01:03:24
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think we're ever going to see another Atlas, either in print or in electronic format... Not only have they moved on from doing Realms stuff, but they keep changing the map! 2E had one map, 3E had another, and now there's the 4E one...

It could still work, I suppose. Most atlases have images of continents and/or globes which demonstrate tectonic drift and the way the surface of the planet has evolved over time.

Another FR atlas could, conceivably, take something like that into account and illustrate the actual and full-scope changes that have been made to the world over the course of editions [rather than geological epochs].
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Dec 2009 : 00:18:37
I don't think we're ever going to see another Atlas, either in print or in electronic format... Not only have they moved on from doing Realms stuff, but they keep changing the map! 2E had one map, 3E had another, and now there's the 4E one...
skychrome Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 18:33:23
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

And you would not be the only one. When is it out!? I'll travel to the future and bring it back to all of you guys (and gals).

Run Forrest, run! And donīt forget the FR Atlas! I'd buy one at once!
Duneth Despana Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 16:14:29
And you would not be the only one. When is it out!? I'll travel to the future and bring it back to all of you guys (and gals).
ode904 Posted - 20 Aug 2006 : 21:44:37
FR Atlas should be like Google Earth. I would love it!
Alisttair Posted - 17 Aug 2006 : 02:50:25
What we need is a petition to have a Forgotten Realms GLOBE made. That would be bulky but extremely cool.
ode904 Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 11:56:25
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I don't know the design of the petition, but I don't believe it is by IP address.

The emails all have to be valid, but again you do have a point that I myself could sign the petition three times just from the email accounts I have immediately available.

http://www.chimicon.com/petition/ made the script for the petition. Not seeing anything about IP tracking.

Almost without expection they check every ip, so there can't be many votes from one person. E-mail check is just to filter away random people i guess. But checking ip is more important.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 28 Jun 2006 : 11:33:57
I don't go by the WOTC boards much anymore either. Though there is someone there with my name...hmm.

Anyway, I signed it. As long as it's not like 60 USD like it is on ebay.
Wenin Posted - 28 Jun 2006 : 02:05:38
/chuckles

You two are funny.

hehe
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jun 2006 : 01:26:58
quote:

I've thought of that, but ProFantasy could update/create new maps. Plus not all of the maps have been changed.

Wooly Rupert you made me think of an interesting idea. If they look at how many visits to a page, perhaps a number of visits to a thread would help.

WoTC Thread I created Come visit. =) Just be nice please.

I can't visit. I swore off the WotC forums after my wrongful banning. I refuse to go back so long as that ban stands.
Kuje Posted - 28 Jun 2006 : 00:14:48
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Quite possible Kuje. However - in a 'perfect' world - any electronic version of the atlas would include both versions of the map. I know some people here actually have said they make use of both versions - one being 'correct' and one being 'faulted' and the PCs may come into contact with either one depending on circumstances.

Dhomal

Yes, in a perfect world but the maps have changed and so... it might not be in WOTC's best interest to include both sets of maps. :) They changed the maps for a reason, and so.... eh... never mind.
Dhomal Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 23:57:33
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

One reason why they might not want that reissued is because it uses the old world maps, which WOTC changed in 3/3.5e. :) I'm not saying that that might be the reason, but it could factor into it.

Hello-

Quite possible Kuje. However - in a 'perfect' world - any electronic version of the atlas would include both versions of the map. I know some people here actually have said they make use of both versions - one being 'correct' and one being 'faulted' and the PCs may come into contact with either one depending on circumstances.

I defiantely like the idea - even though I could not run the CC1,2,3 software on the PC I am using at the moment. I would likely be interested in buying this, as I have plans to replace my computer.

Dhomal
Kuje Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 23:57:09
quote:

I've thought of that, but ProFantasy could update/create new maps. Plus not all of the maps have been changed.

Wooly Rupert you made me think of an interesting idea. If they look at how many visits to a page, perhaps a number of visits to a thread would help.

They could but it also depends on WOTC allowing them to do that. And I don't go to the WOTC boards any more. :)
Wenin Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 23:48:08

Kuje Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 23:41:58
One reason why they might not want that reissued is because it uses the old world maps, which WOTC changed in 3/3.5e. :) I'm not saying that that might be the reason, but it could factor into it.
Wenin Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 23:23:19
Even if it checked for IP addresses the list could be held as being suspect.

If WoTC choose to not listen, they can find whatever reason to discount a petition. That is the very nature of every petition that goes unverified.

I'm still not sure why WoTC has so far been closed to the idea of having their maps available in an electronic format.

- The format is to open to being modified, as you can modify any map file if you have the ProFantasy software. This line of thinking is contary to the heart of gaming. We all take what they provide us and modify it to suit our needs.

- Electronic copies of data is far easier to pirate than hard copies. True, but once anything goes electronic (by scanning them into PDF format), anyone looking to pirate is going to get their copy. So the honest people are left without legal access to such a helpful product.

It is just so completely cool to have the Forgotten Realms globe at your finger tips. To be able to navigate down through the layers of maps. Then the coolest is being able to link your own maps to the application. Personally the application is one of my dreams come true.

With today's overall move towards information availablity, it is almost inexcusable for WoTC to not have such a product available for each of their worlds. =)

Seems so short sighted to me.
Winterfox Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 22:19:55
That's why I think the petition'll be held suspect, provided the WotC person who looks it over is computer-literate. I personally have four valid e-mail addresses; anyone obsessed enough to do it could register for... well, a lot.
Wenin Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 20:47:11
I don't know the design of the petition, but I don't believe it is by IP address.

The emails all have to be valid, but again you do have a point that I myself could sign the petition three times just from the email accounts I have immediately available.

http://www.chimicon.com/petition/ made the script for the petition. Not seeing anything about IP tracking.
Winterfox Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 20:14:37
Does this petition limit it to one signature per IP? (I mean, if not, it's one more reason it might not be taken seriously -- you could create a bunch of e-mail addresses and slap on twenty signatures all by your lonesome.)
Wenin Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 19:56:44
I've only ever seen the eBay pricing results, which go around $60 a year ago when I was in the market. What was the original pricing?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 19:43:46
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

I didn't mean to discourage you or anything. The thing is... people who bother reading forum and the like, or bother signing onling petitions tend to be the vocal minority. That, I think, is the reasoning why WotC appears not to listen to its customers. (I'm pretty sure I saw something along this line discussed back when there was still a novel section at Wizards.com.)

You are correct. Before my wrongful banning from that site, there was a discussion on web features we'd like to see on the WotC site. I suggested a poll. One of the web people came in and flat out stated they weren't interested in gathering any input like that -- they only looked at the number of hits a page had, and, if it wasn't enough, they dropped that feature to try something else. I don't know if that attitude has changed, but it does seem to me that they are still more interested in what we buy, rather than what we want.

I think part of what killed this software, and the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROM, was the price. It's not so much in today's wired world, but when everyone was running NT or Win95, those programs were kinda pricey for a bit of software.
Wenin Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 19:19:49
I didn't take it as discouraging, maybe a bit curmudgeonish. =)

You have a VERY valid point. The reason online petions don't really affect much is because they are so easy to sign.

You're also right that the number of people that go online and read the forums is only a fraction of the WoTC's customer base. Of my gaming group, only two of us ever read any DnD forum, and this is a group of seven players. So those of us that do read the forums should spread the word among their group. If your group members support the idea then they should see about signing the petition.

With the release of the old 2.0 material in PDF, I don't see why WoTC wouldn't allow ProFantasy to release the FR Atlas as well. It could be a download from their website. Shrugs, we can let the corps work that out. =)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000