Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Dragon Age Origins
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2009 :  19:36:08  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone given any thought to this game that is releasing a little later this year? I here it is a Wizards influenced project and should get a pretty good look. This is the only game coming out that interests me, aside from D&D Online(which i heard was horrible), and i would just like to hear any thoughts on it and if any of you are looking forward to it.

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  00:40:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am. I've been impressed with what I have seen of the game so far, as well as the developmental notes that have popped up on gamespy.com.

And, as I recall, Kuje told me he saw some stuff for the game at Gen Con that simply left him in awe. I find that rather intriguing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  13:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also looking forward to its release. Not sure if i'm going to buy it yet, though. But I loved many of bioware's older titles.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  14:24:10  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of it...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
738 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  17:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already downloaded the character creator for it, so I'm definately getting it. Depending how much Mrs. Kyrene enjoys it, I might actually get two copies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2009 :  19:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i have downloaded a couple movies from it...Looks like an actual feature film, and from what ive seen, it has a great story complete with plot twists, great characters, and intense moments.

Edited by - Dantrag on 22 Oct 2009 23:11:46
Go to Top of Page

Ryss Firemaster
Acolyte

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  22:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Ryss Firemaster's Homepage Send Ryss Firemaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, definitely sounds like a typical Bioware game.

"People lie. Online doubly so!"
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  15:59:57  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Played the game for an hour, other than hard to get used to camera, I love the story.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  17:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could afford the special edition right now...*pouts in the corner with a book*

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  21:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I wish I could afford the special edition right now...*pouts in the corner with a book*

The SE isn't that interesting, at least not the dutch version. For an extra 10 euro you get a steel case, bonus disc and a piece of cloth with the map printed on it.

I didn't had time at work to test the game (too busy playing DJ Hero) but I'm definetly going to get it once my laptop is repaired.

Finally another great RPG after Fallout 3.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2009 :  18:39:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been messing around with this on my xbox, mostly doing each of the starter scenes because they all look pretty interesting. So far, I've done the mage one, the human noble one, the city elf, the dalish elf, and I have a dwarven noble one sitting in saved. I really liked the human noble intro, the mage intro, and the dalish elf intro. The city elf intro, just didn't do much for me considering you go rescue your friend from humans and while doing so, they rape her.

But I've also gotten to the world map and played around a little with the next chapter after the intro's. Going to try to do some more later.

I like that you can take two specializations at level seven and fourteen, adding more abilities to your characters to add more then the generic abilities from the thief, mage, warrior categories.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  03:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly love this game. There is a part in the game where one of your party sings an elvish song.... and let me just say , it is beautiful. It makes you feel like you are actually watching a movie. Great game all around, story , fighting system, exp system, and the number of choices you have is astounding.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  11:32:07  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I watched the demo at Gen Con and technically speaking, this game is sweet. Now, I just need to get a copy myself and find the time to play it ;)
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  11:59:23  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's my favorite game this year, going with the mage.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  13:29:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Now, I just need to get a copy myself and find the time to play it ;)
That's exactly my problem. I've got the game, now, but little actual time to play it.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  10:08:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks interesting, but I am getting a bit tired of buying computer games and never managing to get the time and motivation to finish them. With the exception of the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome Total War of course, which I will never manage to "finish" anyway. I need some way to give the day about 60 hours instead of 24.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  10:16:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of computer do you need to run this without problems? I've got a laptop with windows vista ultimate, the graphic card is something called nvidia geforce 8600m Gt 256 mb, and it has 2 gigabytes of memory. That's all I can say, since my knowledge about computer hardware is pretty limited.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  14:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This game will kill my University education. And if it doesn't, Mass Effect 2 surely will. Sigh.

Currently running around with my main PC, Erika Cousland (Human Noble Warrior), a lovely redhead with Imoen's hair style (Do love that touch) and a massive two handed weapon. Rather a combat monster. I usually have Alistair, Morrigan and Leliana in my party. I love the banter between Alistair and Morrigan, while Leliana's accent and attitude are rather refreshing to see. She's actually upbeat about things! I'm about 15 hours in, and I've barely seen any of the content, which is quite nice.

I'm personally playing it on my Xbox, which creates a few issues, but at least I know it runs. Might buy it again on PC in a year, depending on the number of mods created for it. If Bioware allow for multiplayer persistent worlds in Dragon Age, it'd be fantastically good.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2009 :  03:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And finished my first playthrough. Let me tell you now, the Human Noble is lots of fun, especially when you kill a certain someone important in your origin story. Now I've gotta decide between the Dalish or City Elf for my next playthrough.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2009 :  14:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My brother got it for the PC and showed it to me yesterday. I only saw about 5 minutes of character interaction. Hoping to try it out and creat my own character and see how far I can get in this. Looks awesome!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2009 :  21:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone fill me in on the main differences between the PC and console versions of this game?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  02:21:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Can anyone fill me in on the main differences between the PC and console versions of this game?

The main difference is that one is played on a computer, and the other isn't.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  05:02:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

There isn't, really. Though, the PC version gets a number of official mods, some of which are free, and BioWare is releasing a development kit for modders to work with on the PC.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  15:40:55  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have a PC capable of running Dragon Age, get it for that. Dragon Age is very much designed for the PC. You'd also get a host of mods for it, as Sage mentioned.

That said, there's nothing wrong with the console versions. I'm enjoying it thoroughly on the Xbox, though the graphics are a little worse then you'd get on a good gaming PC.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2009 :  17:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I am considering getting the game so I was curious.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2009 :  08:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to say I ended up with the 360 version since I don't have a decent computer to run the PC version atm. I can say that if you have a big screen TV the console version is both fun and beautiful. I have read that it lacks the a tactical camera mode used on the PC that can make battles a bit more managable.

The game is very deep and the characterizations make the whole experience worthwhile. (I am particularly fond of the golem Shale). The voice acting is very good and if you are a sci-fi geek, will appreciate the representation of people from ST:Voyager and Farscape.

The big downside of the console version is as Sage mentions will be the lack of the tool-kit...but I think they should have all of the 'official' mods available for download regardless of the console you have. (I have gotten all the current DLC and look forward to more).

I like the gameplay and the way you can unlock specializations through interacting with characters in the world or simply fidning/buying a training tome.

The one thing I don't really like is the way most of the game encounters scale with your character level. This keeps the game challenging, but also makes every battle potentially fatal if you are not always on your toes. For example, the ogre you may battle at level 20 will be just as challenging as the ogre you battled at level 5, despite your increase in power/armor/ability, etc. (Similar in many ways to how Oblivion operated). I don’t mind this in some cases, but I do like to feel a sense of power and growth. Perhaps I am too old school….but anyway this is a minor quibble.

And let me just say this…..Dragon battles…terrifying and awesome and not to be taken lightly. I have fought dragons in many other games from old Tyranthraxus in Pool of Radiance GB ed. to the big bosses in WoW. I think this is the first game that has really captured the feel of a dragon fight in a visual and tactical sense.

DA has been my favorite game of this year, and likely one I will return to many times (as I did with the BG games).

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Edited by - Chyron on 26 Nov 2009 08:24:12
Go to Top of Page

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  01:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

I have only one thing to say: 164 hours, since last Wednesday.
I "finally" finished it early this morning (Thursday). Will replay as soon as I got the time.

Happy playin'!

Dealing with 3.5 only. Refusing the reality of 4.0, and substituting it for my own.
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  06:32:56  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't this supposed to be akin to like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, etc. in that the game is supposed to take a really long time (as in 2-3 months, at least) to finish?

The game hasn't even been out for a full month yet, and so many people are finishing it! What's going on?

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 27 Nov 2009 06:33:40
Go to Top of Page

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  15:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

Well... You could either run through it, ignoring everything about the lore and all the side quests (which there are many of), and finish the game in about 15-30 hours. Or... *Points to my above post* That's at least 3 times the time I've spent finishing other games, as of late, including NWN, HL, Borderlands and similar long games of late.
Should be noted that I didn't quite finish all of the side quests, and I still got the other origins and endings to finish.

Happy playin'!

Dealing with 3.5 only. Refusing the reality of 4.0, and substituting it for my own.

Edited by - Hellkeepa on 28 Nov 2009 23:55:46
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  22:57:27  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! I was so taken by the fact that you (along w/others across the internet!) finished the game that I skipped over how many hours you put into it man!

I haven't read one bad review of this game thus far! Be it from gaming websites or folk on mssg boards!
Go to Top of Page

Hellkeepa
Seeker

Norway
61 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2009 :  23:57:48  Show Profile  Visit Hellkeepa's Homepage Send Hellkeepa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HELLo!

Hehe, then I understand your surprise, yes. :-)
Only bad thing about it, is that I'm behind on my work now. :-(

Happy playin'!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000