Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Shar vs. Guardians of the Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  02:45:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now THAT explanation, I like. Thanks THO.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  04:15:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

And it's going in my quick reference reply file for Candlekeep and WotC. It's a good reply to have on hand whenever this type of discussion pops up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  02:16:47  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, The Hooded One, for your wise explanation which had helped clarified matters though somehow, I and my friends all similarly feel that it simply goes against the grain. Thank you by the way, THO.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Hal9000
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  10:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Hal9000's Homepage Send Hal9000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I passed this thread on to Ed, and here's his response:

Mystra IS the Weave. The Shadow Weave is an "echo" of the Weave, deriving its power by reflections and amplifications of the energy spillages of the Weave. As such, it's neither sentient nor controlable by anyone (Mystra's very existence prevents another deity from controlling it, and if Mystra attempted to control it, she would nullify it [think positive energy meeting negative energy] at the probable cost of destroying the Weave in the process (i.e. destroying herself). So neither Shar nor any other deity can truly control the Shadow Weave.
However, Shar can control access to the Shadow Weave, because she "set it up to be this way" when creating it. In other words, she created a door (which she controls the use of) opening into the heating ducts of an existing house controlled by Mystra, that she (Shar) can neither touch nor enter.

So saith Ed. TymoraChosen, does that help?
love,
THO

This explanation definitely supports the less-than-popular Shadow Weave is a trap idea. But it is perfectly fitting with Shar's overall goal of destroying existence. She created the Shadow Weave and kept it a secret until a time when revealing this secret would have the most impact. The time has obviously come recently with the arrival of a formerly mortal Goddess of Magic, who apparently has not yet completely mastered her portfolio. Shar has revealed her secret, thus tempting the new Goddess. Perhaps the old Mystra would not be so naive and see through Shar's scheme. If Mystra absorbs the Shadow Weave, which is what Shar actually wants her to do, the weave will cease to exist. The Weave is one the most potent sources of creative energy in Realmspace, and with it (aka her most powerful rival) gone Shar will have a much easier time assaulting the very existence of Toril itself.

Though I am fan of Shar's this scheme will be stopped, probably by her goody-two-shoes sister, who by doing so will probably increase her power status (unrelated topic I am aware). However, having Shar win would be a great way for WoTC to end the series if they ever felt so inclined.
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  12:49:17  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Wizards ever do "end the Realms", I'm hoping they emulate what White Wolf did when they brought the previous incarnation of the World of Darkness to an end -- have multiple endings (IIRC WoD had something like five), so you can consider whichever one you like the most to be 'cannon'.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2007 :  03:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah this thread has sorta spawned a whole bunch of 'absolute-positive-vs-absolute-negative' ideas. I doubt any of the gods having such petty plans as to destroy a planet etc. The essence of godly politics and power is so "meta" that only its distant ripples should effect toril. So all of the struggles on toril are actually just distorted reactions to events of a less-mundane nature.
Regardless I think ed summed it up nicely. (btw Wod is so different than d&d bc it has only one campaign setting rather than multiple so ending the campaign world for a newer addition makes sense but isnt translatable to different settings so d&d could never pull that off)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  08:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TymoraChosen

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
<snip>

Perhaps...but given Shar's intelligence in thinking and creation of ingenious and creative stuff like the Fane of Shadows-nice armaments awaiting for any to take-and Weave Tap indicates she is quite smart afterall. I have not seen Selune or Mystra coming up with their own Fane of Light or Fane of Magic for their followers.
<snip>

Gods, I feel like I was dropped on my head, but what is the Fane of Shadows?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  16:33:08  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See Paul S Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000