Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Shar vs. Guardians of the Weave

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 02:05:33
I just read the section in the Champions of valor about the organization 'Guardians of the Weave'. Surprisingly cool organization!!

I was surprised to see that it had so few members though. It only has 150ish members and they are spread out from the north to Halruaa! How does this organization actually function on any real scale? And since it says they arent a very secretive organization wouldnt evil people around the continent be targeting these meddlers?

I love that spell in the end of ChoV that destroys the shadow weave in a 10ft area! for only 50 gp and as a 3rd lvl slot.

my main question is would the clerics of shar be aware of a group of wizards etc. casting this spell on a semi-large scale?
say if a group of maybe 10 spellcasters went about casting it for a couple days, what would be the repurcussions.
how well would the followers of Shar be able to stop this?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kajehase Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 16:33:08
See Paul S Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy.
Icewolf Posted - 21 Feb 2007 : 08:35:41
quote:
Originally posted by TymoraChosen

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
<snip>

Perhaps...but given Shar's intelligence in thinking and creation of ingenious and creative stuff like the Fane of Shadows-nice armaments awaiting for any to take-and Weave Tap indicates she is quite smart afterall. I have not seen Selune or Mystra coming up with their own Fane of Light or Fane of Magic for their followers.
<snip>

Gods, I feel like I was dropped on my head, but what is the Fane of Shadows?
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 20 Feb 2007 : 03:13:46
Yeah this thread has sorta spawned a whole bunch of 'absolute-positive-vs-absolute-negative' ideas. I doubt any of the gods having such petty plans as to destroy a planet etc. The essence of godly politics and power is so "meta" that only its distant ripples should effect toril. So all of the struggles on toril are actually just distorted reactions to events of a less-mundane nature.
Regardless I think ed summed it up nicely. (btw Wod is so different than d&d bc it has only one campaign setting rather than multiple so ending the campaign world for a newer addition makes sense but isnt translatable to different settings so d&d could never pull that off)
nbnmare Posted - 18 Feb 2007 : 12:49:17
If Wizards ever do "end the Realms", I'm hoping they emulate what White Wolf did when they brought the previous incarnation of the World of Darkness to an end -- have multiple endings (IIRC WoD had something like five), so you can consider whichever one you like the most to be 'cannon'.
Hal9000 Posted - 18 Feb 2007 : 10:33:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I passed this thread on to Ed, and here's his response:

Mystra IS the Weave. The Shadow Weave is an "echo" of the Weave, deriving its power by reflections and amplifications of the energy spillages of the Weave. As such, it's neither sentient nor controlable by anyone (Mystra's very existence prevents another deity from controlling it, and if Mystra attempted to control it, she would nullify it [think positive energy meeting negative energy] at the probable cost of destroying the Weave in the process (i.e. destroying herself). So neither Shar nor any other deity can truly control the Shadow Weave.
However, Shar can control access to the Shadow Weave, because she "set it up to be this way" when creating it. In other words, she created a door (which she controls the use of) opening into the heating ducts of an existing house controlled by Mystra, that she (Shar) can neither touch nor enter.

So saith Ed. TymoraChosen, does that help?
love,
THO

This explanation definitely supports the less-than-popular Shadow Weave is a trap idea. But it is perfectly fitting with Shar's overall goal of destroying existence. She created the Shadow Weave and kept it a secret until a time when revealing this secret would have the most impact. The time has obviously come recently with the arrival of a formerly mortal Goddess of Magic, who apparently has not yet completely mastered her portfolio. Shar has revealed her secret, thus tempting the new Goddess. Perhaps the old Mystra would not be so naive and see through Shar's scheme. If Mystra absorbs the Shadow Weave, which is what Shar actually wants her to do, the weave will cease to exist. The Weave is one the most potent sources of creative energy in Realmspace, and with it (aka her most powerful rival) gone Shar will have a much easier time assaulting the very existence of Toril itself.

Though I am fan of Shar's this scheme will be stopped, probably by her goody-two-shoes sister, who by doing so will probably increase her power status (unrelated topic I am aware). However, having Shar win would be a great way for WoTC to end the series if they ever felt so inclined.
TymoraChosen Posted - 24 Mar 2006 : 02:16:47
Thank you, The Hooded One, for your wise explanation which had helped clarified matters though somehow, I and my friends all similarly feel that it simply goes against the grain. Thank you by the way, THO.
The Sage Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 04:15:14
Agreed.

And it's going in my quick reference reply file for Candlekeep and WotC. It's a good reply to have on hand whenever this type of discussion pops up.
George Krashos Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 02:45:28
Now THAT explanation, I like. Thanks THO.

-- George Krashos
The Hooded One Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 02:18:21
I passed this thread on to Ed, and here's his response:

Mystra IS the Weave. The Shadow Weave is an "echo" of the Weave, deriving its power by reflections and amplifications of the energy spillages of the Weave. As such, it's neither sentient nor controlable by anyone (Mystra's very existence prevents another deity from controlling it, and if Mystra attempted to control it, she would nullify it [think positive energy meeting negative energy] at the probable cost of destroying the Weave in the process (i.e. destroying herself). So neither Shar nor any other deity can truly control the Shadow Weave.
However, Shar can control access to the Shadow Weave, because she "set it up to be this way" when creating it. In other words, she created a door (which she controls the use of) opening into the heating ducts of an existing house controlled by Mystra, that she (Shar) can neither touch nor enter.

So saith Ed. TymoraChosen, does that help?
love,
THO
TymoraChosen Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 01:06:22
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Mystra is the Weave, but the Shadow Weave is an artificial construct. There's nothing that says Shar is linked to it the way Mystra is linked to the Weave. Since Shar built the thing over the course of centuries, I'd say it very much exists independently of her.

If Mystra can cut off Weave access to certain people, then if Shar is not linked to the Shadow Weave, then how does Shar cut off access of the Shadow Weave to those shadow weave users? Unless the Shadow Weave is a sentient living thing that had its own whims and decide "who should I cut off access today?", how does Shar cut off mortals' access to the Shadow Weave if Shar is not linked to the Shadow Weave? Unless there is a waiting switch for Shar to pull in the Shadow Weave, that would almost be like any god as powerful as Shar would be able to pull the switch to cut off Shadow Weave access.
I certainly believe that if Mystra is linked to the Weave and can cut off Weave access with a thought, then if Shar is not linked to the Shadow Weave, then how does Shar cut off Shadow Weave access to Shadow Weave users (pointed out under Shar's descriptions in the Faith and Pantheons where Shar can cut off access to the Shadow Weave)if she is not linked to the Shadow Weave?

quote:
Any deity can cut off access to their portfolio. They control the portfolio, so they can control who accesses it. Lathander, for example, could keep the sun from rising on someone, if he so chose.

A portfolio is basically a job. Most are not intrinsically linked to the deity that controls them. Mystra is a special case, in regards to the Weave. She doesn't just control it, it is a part of her. Other deities are not linked to their portfolios the way she is linked to that one -- if they were, then portfolios couldn't be shuffled among living deities as we sometimes see.

There is no evidence that Shar is linked to the Shadow Weave the way Mystra is linked to the Weave. Since it is something she built, that makes it even less likely. Therefore, control of it -- and we already know, by canon, that Mystra wants to grab the Shadow Weave -- can't be linked to Shar. Mystra wouldn't be able to grab it, otherwise, without subsuming Shar.

Which still doesn't answer my question how Shar and why Shar can cut off mortals' access to the Shadow Weave. The Shadow Weave is not mentioned in her portfolio, but it was mentioned to be her unique salient divine ability to cut off mortals' access to the Shadow Weave. If the Shadow Weave is Shar's portfolio, that would be understandable. But one big question, that is if the Shadow Weave is truly independent of Shar herself, then this meant that the Shadow Weave is a sentient living thing by its own right? Which is quite contradicting to Shar's unique salient divine ability to control the Shadow Weave access. If Mystra possess the unique salient divine ability to cut off Weave access, why can't Shar possess the unique salient divine ability to cut off Shadow Weave access even though the Shadow Weave is not Shar's portfolio?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Mar 2006 : 11:36:24
quote:

quote:

Just because Shar has been around longer, it doesn't mean she's wiser and more cunning than Mystra. I once worked with a guy who was older than me and who had a lot more world experience. But the guy was an idiot, and was utterly unable to admit to his own mistakes, much less learn from them. He firmly believed that age equaled intelligence...

Perhaps...but given Shar's intelligence in thinking and creation of ingenious and creative stuff like the Fane of Shadows-nice armaments awaiting for any to take-and Weave Tap indicates she is quite smart afterall. I have not seen Selune or Mystra coming up with their own Fane of Light or Fane of Magic for their followers.

Just because we've not seen it doesn't mean it's not happened. Nor does something like that indicate that any deity is smarter than any other.

quote:

quote:

Mystra is the Weave, but the Shadow Weave is an artificial construct. There's nothing that says Shar is linked to it the way Mystra is linked to the Weave. Since Shar built the thing over the course of centuries, I'd say it very much exists independently of her.

If Mystra can cut off Weave access to certain people, then if Shar is not linked to the Shadow Weave, then how does Shar cut off access of the Shadow Weave to those shadow weave users? Unless the Shadow Weave is a sentient living thing that had its own whims and decide "who should I cut off access today?", how does Shar cut off mortals' access to the Shadow Weave if Shar is not linked to the Shadow Weave? Unless there is a waiting switch for Shar to pull in the Shadow Weave, that would almost be like any god as powerful as Shar would be able to pull the switch to cut off Shadow Weave access.
I certainly believe that if Mystra is linked to the Weave and can cut off Weave access with a thought, then if Shar is not linked to the Shadow Weave, then how does Shar cut off Shadow Weave access to Shadow Weave users (pointed out under Shar's descriptions in the Faith and Pantheons where Shar can cut off access to the Shadow Weave)if she is not linked to the Shadow Weave?

Any deity can cut off access to their portfolio. They control the portfolio, so they can control who accesses it. Lathander, for example, could keep the sun from rising on someone, if he so chose.

A portfolio is basically a job. Most are not intrinsically linked to the deity that controls them. Mystra is a special case, in regards to the Weave. She doesn't just control it, it is a part of her. Other deities are not linked to their portfolios the way she is linked to that one -- if they were, then portfolios couldn't be shuffled among living deities as we sometimes see.

There is no evidence that Shar is linked to the Shadow Weave the way Mystra is linked to the Weave. Since it is something she built, that makes it even less likely. Therefore, control of it -- and we already know, by canon, that Mystra wants to grab the Shadow Weave -- can't be linked to Shar. Mystra wouldn't be able to grab it, otherwise, without subsuming Shar.
TymoraChosen Posted - 22 Mar 2006 : 10:28:56
quote:

Just because Shar has been around longer, it doesn't mean she's wiser and more cunning than Mystra. I once worked with a guy who was older than me and who had a lot more world experience. But the guy was an idiot, and was utterly unable to admit to his own mistakes, much less learn from them. He firmly believed that age equaled intelligence...

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Mar 2006 : 03:24:24

Further, Mystra taking control of the Shadow Weave would not necessarily mean a comingling of the Weave and the Shadow Weave. Indeed, how could this happen? One is the shadow of the other -- you can't merge something with its own shadow.

The belief that Mystra taking the Shadow Weave would shift her to neutrality is because Mystra still is inclined to good, and the Shadow Weave is more inclined to darkness. Taking it over would cause Mystra to assume a more neutral aspect, because of the nature of the Shadow Weave itself. It has nothing to do with Shar, it's the Shadow Weave itself.

Heck, look at Kelemvor. Kelemvor had a stated preference for doing good deeds. And when he first took over as Lord of Death, his judgment of fallen mortals reflected this. But, when he finally wised up and more fully embraced his portfolio, he shifted all the way to neutral. It had nothing to do with Myrkul, Cyric, or Jergal's previous stewdardship of death, it was simply the nature of death itself that caused the shift.

That is why many people, myself included, think that Mystra taking the Shadow Weave would push out those last few remaining bits of good.
TymoraChosen Posted - 22 Mar 2006 : 01:58:26
Though the belief that Mystra would gain the shadow weave and become neutral is a much commonly held belief and preferred belief by most realm fans. For practical reasons, we also need to consider the other possibilities. We need to know whether the Shadow Weave is some form of trap for Mystra in which Mystra may lose out. For Shar is the eldest and most ancient one besides Selune. So Shar is much more wiser and cunning than Mystra who just newly ascended her post and still not too familiar with her post nor have the wisdom that Shar had over the millions of years. We must also consider that if the Shadow Weave raw energies is the counter of the Weave raw energies, will they be able to coexist in a balance or would they erase each other out.
If the two raw energies are able to coexist, that's good. If the two raw energies erase each other, then too bad for Mystra. In my hypothesis, when Selune ripped part of her magic to throw at Shar, the magic of Selune is kind of "positive" and when it ripped through Shar, it ripped out Shar's magic which is kind of "negative" and somehow I believe both "positive" and "negative" are in sufficient concentrations to perfectly balance each other. But I don't think these two fused together for if fused together, will result in the mutual annihilation of each other as common sense and science dictates. So the Weave is kind of positive and negative energies of Selune's and Shar's magic coexisting with each other with proper regulation and control. So the Shadow Weave is kind of entirely "negative" based, it cannot be "positive-based" as it can't create light which is self-explanatory. And if the Weave is truly a balance of positive and negative, then when the raw negative energies of the Shadow Weave come into contact with the raw positive portions of the Weave and whether through controlled or uncontrolled processes (which this I am not certain), two possibilities: coexistence or mutual annihilation which heavily damages the Weave and Mystra which means the destruction of the Weave.
Another thing to consider, if Mystra gains Shar's Shadow Weave, we must also consider that both weaves are interwined with each of the two goddesses whereby the weave and shadow weaves are a very part of the two goddesses' existence, and Mystra absorbing Shar's Shadow Weave is roughly equivalent to fusing with Shar very self, and Shar is entirely negative based, and if Mystra is a balance of positive and negative, it is hard to percieve what will happen if these two goddesses fuse together through their weaves, either destruction of both which means end of Selune as well or the splitting of the fused Shar-Mystra back into the Shar and Mystra (as to maintain the balance of light and darkness) but such split is unlikely to be without consequences, Shar may gain back majority of her negative energies from the Weave and remain strong like the aftermath of the First War between Selune and Shar, and there is a strong likely possibility that the resulting Mystra and her Weave is diminished.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Mar 2006 : 02:02:31
Ah, but if Mystra grabbed the Shadow Weave -- which, as a shadow of her own Weave, she's got a greater claim to than anyone other than Shar -- then taking it over would likely push away those last vestiges of humanity and inclinations towards good that Mystra 2.0 has. That would maintain the Balance.
scererar Posted - 21 Mar 2006 : 01:56:59
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

I just thought of something curious, assuming Mystra's cleric and wizard manages to destroy everyone who worships Shar, what do u think will happen to the shadow weave when Shar dies from lack of worshippers?

Absolutely impossible and unacceptable! Remember, Shar is the most eldest goddess among the whole Pantheon besides Selune. Both have been born at the beginning of time for Toril, Selune represents light and goodness , Shar represents darkness and evil, both represent the balance on Toril.
If Shar dies, then Selune existence is compromised, for good cannot survive without evil and vice versa. For I strongly believe that whoever(very unlikely to be Lord Ao) lent and allowed the raw materials for the creation of Shar will not accept Shar's destruction or loss of Shar.
It is virtually impossible for Mystra's Faithful (be them Guardians or whatever) to 100% eliminate Shar's Faithful.
For first increasing Sharran's deaths would make all the Sharrans go on a widespread riot and retaliation against Mystra's faithful.

Secondly, Shar's faithful are reckless but they are not stupid not to know how to survive or fight back.

Thirdly, remember, in terms of the balance, if good pushes evil too hard and too much, evil will turn around and push good back to the line that marks their borders and restore the balance.That means Shar will empower her faithful with even greater and more destructive spells of the Shadow Weave to fight back. Since the Mystrans cannot cast 10th leven spells or higher, the Mystrans are at a serious disadvantage as you need wide area-effect spells for mass-killing effect. And since no restrictions exist for the Sharrans, they can cast mass-killing spells of 10th level and higher.

Lastly, such conflict would draw the attention of other powerful and lesser deities into the war between Mystra and Shar, and the conflict would be unending with a great fatal price paid by the mortal followers of the various gods. This is something that will not be accepted by even Lord Ao.

Also, Shar is interwined with the Shadow Weave. My hypothesis is that if Shar reallym dies, the Shadow Weave will unravel as the Shadow Weave is a part of the goddess as well. It is virtually impossible and highly unlikely that Mystra can grab every piece and strand of the Shadow Weave, for somebody will be grabbing for it as well. So, there would be another "Shadow Weave" in the hands of a different god-either a Faerunian god or some interloper. If it is interloper and the interloper is vastly powerful and dark, then the reborn Shadow Weave will be a great challenge to Mystra's Weave, as afterall, the balance of powers must be maintained, so does magic.

I would envision this sort of like when Mystra was detroyed during the time of troubles, I would think a diety would take certain precautions for something like this, as mystra did. Not to say that the shadow weave would not be able to be under teh control of another god, I would think this unlikly just because Shar was destroyed. I do agree that a balance of some sort would have to be maintained and maybe even Ao himself would have to get involved to ensure, "his children" were at least on some level playing fair. The balance will have to be maintained and I think it will be interesting to see how things will play out in the end. I believe the shadow weave does play an important, realms shaking role, in the near future.
TymoraChosen Posted - 21 Mar 2006 : 01:25:31
quote:

I just thought of something curious, assuming Mystra's cleric and wizard manages to destroy everyone who worships Shar, what do u think will happen to the shadow weave when Shar dies from lack of worshippers?

Absolutely impossible and unacceptable! Remember, Shar is the most eldest goddess among the whole Pantheon besides Selune. Both have been born at the beginning of time for Toril, Selune represents light and goodness , Shar represents darkness and evil, both represent the balance on Toril.
If Shar dies, then Selune existence is compromised, for good cannot survive without evil and vice versa. For I strongly believe that whoever(very unlikely to be Lord Ao) lent and allowed the raw materials for the creation of Shar will not accept Shar's destruction or loss of Shar.
It is virtually impossible for Mystra's Faithful (be them Guardians or whatever) to 100% eliminate Shar's Faithful.
For first increasing Sharran's deaths would make all the Sharrans go on a widespread riot and retaliation against Mystra's faithful.

Secondly, Shar's faithful are reckless but they are not stupid not to know how to survive or fight back.

Thirdly, remember, in terms of the balance, if good pushes evil too hard and too much, evil will turn around and push good back to the line that marks their borders and restore the balance.That means Shar will empower her faithful with even greater and more destructive spells of the Shadow Weave to fight back. Since the Mystrans cannot cast 10th leven spells or higher, the Mystrans are at a serious disadvantage as you need wide area-effect spells for mass-killing effect. And since no restrictions exist for the Sharrans, they can cast mass-killing spells of 10th level and higher.

Lastly, such conflict would draw the attention of other powerful and lesser deities into the war between Mystra and Shar, and the conflict would be unending with a great fatal price paid by the mortal followers of the various gods. This is something that will not be accepted by even Lord Ao.

Also, Shar is interwined with the Shadow Weave. My hypothesis is that if Shar reallym dies, the Shadow Weave will unravel as the Shadow Weave is a part of the goddess as well. It is virtually impossible and highly unlikely that Mystra can grab every piece and strand of the Shadow Weave, for somebody will be grabbing for it as well. So, there would be another "Shadow Weave" in the hands of a different god-either a Faerunian god or some interloper. If it is interloper and the interloper is vastly powerful and dark, then the reborn Shadow Weave will be a great challenge to Mystra's Weave, as afterall, the balance of powers must be maintained, so does magic.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2006 : 17:33:36
quote:

Well, that's an incredibly tall order... But, assuming that impossible act was pulled off, Mystra would simply grab the Shadow Weave for herself.
Chataro Posted - 20 Mar 2006 : 16:10:45
silvermage Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 05:21:35
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

here you go Kuje

I think the shadow weave was being discussed... hmmm and Mytra's desire, wish, need, want, maybe gonna try to get it, but not sure when, if the conditions are, but maybe not, plan to obtain control of the shadow weave from Shar, but we might have to wait until 4E ( theres another discussion)

oh and some more from earlier

the rest of my original post is few up from here, just in case we want to get back on topic of Mystra's desire ( or whatever we are assuming her interest is these days in the shadow weave and how, if, when, she may try to assume control of it within the next rules edition or so)

Lets hope that Mystra does not take the Shadow Weave in 4e, for if she does, I think we can anticipate sweeping changes and I seldom favor sweeping changes and I do not favor starting it all over again especially if new magic rules comes in for the Shadow Weave imposed by Mystra.
scererar Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 04:06:40
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Can we nudge this back on topic and end the canon arguement? :)

here you go Kuje

I think the shadow weave was being discussed... hmmm and Mytra's desire, wish, need, want, maybe gonna try to get it, but not sure when, if the conditions are, but maybe not, plan to obtain control of the shadow weave from Shar, but we might have to wait until 4E ( theres another discussion)

oh and some more from earlier

the rest of my original post is few up from here, just in case we want to get back on topic of Mystra's desire ( or whatever we are assuming her interest is these days in the shadow weave and how, if, when, she may try to assume control of it within the next rules edition or so)
Kuje Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 03:47:58
Can we nudge this back on topic and end the canon arguement? :)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 03:27:08
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Canon? We are talking about religion? "An ecclesiastical law or code of laws established by a church council"?

More along the lines of:

"The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic: the entire Shakespeare canon."

When discussing a matter with so much fan-fiction, homebrew differences, campaign-specific histories, and even direct contradictions in the officially released info from Wizards or TSR it becomes difficult to find common ground. This is resolved by defining what is canon and what is not and of course opens the doors to a lot of folks arguing over what they consider canonical.

I know exactly what is being talked about here. My post was a tongue-in-cheek way of expressing disagreement with the way "canon lore" has been elevated to an almost religious importance.

And that's coming from somone who loves and respects the official Realms and its lore.

When people start arguing about what is "canon" and what isn't, I can practically picture a group of elderly theologians leaning over holy books.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 06 Mar 2006 : 17:45:02
lets see if we cant work a silence spell into those enchantments heheh
Kajehase Posted - 06 Mar 2006 : 05:29:22
quote:

Kajehase, by the way, is that cape magical? if so what are it's properties

Hmm...A -3 penalty on all Charisma-based skill-checks?
scererar Posted - 06 Mar 2006 : 03:55:19
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:

Canon? We are talking about religion? "An ecclesiastical law or code of laws established by a church council"?

could be canon, an object, tool, or weapon that propels an explosive projectile towards the forces of ones enemies I'll stop now.

Okay, pet-peeve. *puts on cape of annoying know-it-allism

That'd be a cannon (noun). Not a canon (noun).

A third definition (very close, actually more or less the same as Sarta's) of canon could be this: "A rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy. Example. The neoclassical canon" taken from One-look dictionary.com.

ok Kajehase, put your pet-peeve back in your pocket I was just having fun, I do know how to spell(sometimes), I was just having fun, thanks for the dictionary explaination though, now we know

the rest of my original post is 2 up from here, just in case we want to get back on topic of Mystra's desire ( or whatever we are assuming her interest is these days in the shadow weave and how, if, when, she may try to assume control of it within the next rules edition or so) Kajehase, by the way, is that cape magical? if so what are it's properties
Kajehase Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 20:17:54
quote:

quote:

could be canon, an object, tool, or weapon that propels an explosive projectile towards the forces of ones enemies I'll stop now.

Okay, pet-peeve. *puts on cape of annoying know-it-allism

That'd be a cannon (noun). Not a canon (noun).

A third definition (very close, actually more or less the same as Sarta's) of canon could be this: "A rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy. Example. The neoclassical canon" taken from One-look dictionary.com.
Sarta Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 19:54:05
quote:

More along the lines of:

"The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic: the entire Shakespeare canon."

When discussing a matter with so much fan-fiction, homebrew differences, campaign-specific histories, and even direct contradictions in the officially released info from Wizards or TSR it becomes difficult to find common ground. This is resolved by defining what is canon and what is not and of course opens the doors to a lot of folks arguing over what they consider canonical.
scererar Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 16:07:29
quote:

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Mar 2006 : 06:02:04

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000