Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Book Club Schedule (2006)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2006 :  18:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Herein is the Forgotten Realms Book Club schedule for the first few months of 2006. This does not include Classic Book Clubs, however, which will be announced at a later date, following a vote.

January - Son of Thunder (with Murray Leeder)
February - Realms of the Elves (attending authors to announced)
March - Vanity's Brood
April - Bladesinger (with Keith Francis Strohm)
May - The Ruin (with Richard Lee Byers)
June - Final Gate (with Richard Baker)
July - Blackstaff (with Steven Schend)
Bloodwalk (with James P. Davis)
August - Swords of Eveningstar (with Ed Greenwood (via THO))
September - Darkvision
Lies of Light
November - Shadowbred
December - Frostfell

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  21:28:06  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't remember, but have we, temporarily, discontinued the Classic selections? Are there any upcoming months with a hole to fill with one, if so?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  07:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I can't remember, but have we, temporarily, discontinued the Classic selections? Are there any upcoming months with a hole to fill with one, if so?

Well met

Oh there are certainly no free months where the FR novel release schedule is concerned, hammer

The Classic Book Club has not been ruled out, but I would still like to get a greater participation in the current book club before I believe a classic would work. Please feel free to all bombard me with emails for support of a classic book club, however

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  08:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only have about two weeks to catch up on the House of serpents trilogy then, I better get started! I own I & II and didn't realize III was out so soon or else I would have started them by now.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  08:42:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::sigh::

I'd love to chime in on these current discussions... but I can't.

Greater participation is always going to be a problem for a current release FR book club, because some countries outside the US usually receive the particular FR novel featured in the club much too late to participate in a current discussion.

That being said... the Classic Book Club is the only way I can participate in any Candlekeep FR Book Clubs. Australia just receives the Book Club novels too late for any of us to effectively contribute to these discussions.

Case in point... January's club was Son of Thunder. That particular novel was only released here THIS month. As for Realms of the Elves... well, we're at the half-way point of February and I haven't even seen a schedule for its release here.

It's really a shame... because I would love to talk about each book as I read it when it is the current focus on a monthly Book Club. And yes, I know I can always pick up the scroll from a previous Book Club and discuss the book... but it's just not the same as being part of a current Club discussion.

I don't mean this to be a rant Big Al... but I just thought I would explain why my participation in this section has been extremely low.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  05:46:54  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Maybe, in light of the differing release schedules, we should consider having the 'new' book clubs at least in the month following their official release. I know that the Realms of Elves had a specific release date at my store - though I am at a loss as to what day it was for sure right now. I know that it was not before the 5th though. That - and some people may not necessarilly have the disposable cash to buy books as soon as they come out. So - that being said - waiting a month might not be a bad idea.

I dunno - what do people think?

As for a classic club - I would suggest that to get the most interest in a book - a poll should be put up - and people should vote on what book they would like to read and participate in - which would give a general idea as to how many people would participate if the book was chosen.

Just another thought.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  08:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Remember, Book Club's do not close down after the current release month. Ye may post in any previous book club at any time. I expect a new release book club to span easily into the following month. I don't yet have Realms of the Elves myself and imagine it will easily get towards the end of the month before it arrives.

As for a Classic Book Club. I will run a poll in a couple of months, taken from suggestions by readers who are willing to participate.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  17:11:07  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of beginning the book club in the month after its U.S. release. That gives some of us time to finish other books, others to even get it, and all of us a chance to read it. I may be wrong, but the few who get it quick, and read it quick, are less in number than those who get it later, and/or read it later.
Just to see, who has Vanity's Brood, or has seen it? I've seen it, it came into work yesterday. However, I'm Grieving over the other WOTC book release, so I'll make like a Tree and be back here after I read that one. No, don't tell me to leave!

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  17:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the idea of beginning the book club in the month after its U.S. release. That gives some of us time to finish other books, others to even get it, and all of us a chance to read it. I may be wrong, but the few who get it quick, and read it quick, are less in number than those who get it later, and/or read it later.
Just to see, who has Vanity's Brood, or has seen it? I've seen it, it came into work yesterday. However, I'm Grieving over the other WOTC book release, so I'll make like a Tree and be back here after I read that one. No, don't tell me to leave!

Well make sure ye do, Hammer. Why ye chose a tome such as that o'er the final book in House of Serpents is beyond me I'll look forward to reading thy comments in the Vanity's Brood Book Club threads anyway

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  18:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the idea to begin a new book discussion a month after the U.S. release, too. It takes some time to get the books here in europe.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  19:56:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just to see, who has Vanity's Brood, or has seen it?

Seen it, have it.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  20:32:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could have ordered to arrive within in 8 days for the past week, but I'm waiting for the internet-store I use to get Power of Faerûn stocked as well in order to save myself 34 SKr ($3) in postage-fees.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  03:00:37  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Remember, Book Club's do not close down after the current release month. Ye may post in any previous book club at any time. I expect a new release book club to span easily into the following month. I don't yet have Realms of the Elves myself and imagine it will easily get towards the end of the month before it arrives.

As for a Classic Book Club. I will run a poll in a couple of months, taken from suggestions by readers who are willing to participate.

not to disagree with you too much Alaundo , but I personlly feel that "participating" in the book club discussion after the majority of the book has been discussed by a majority of the sages, after the month that the book is scheduled to be discussed, so far has frustrated me. it's almost a day late and a dollar short, in my opinion. I concur with my fellow scribe, that maybe having the book discussion, say about a month after it's release date, would allow more sages to participate (seeing as an example our fellow sages in Australia seem to have an extraordinary delay in receiving the current releases). Additionally, if there is going to be a future poll for the classic book club discussion, I want to get one in early, let's go for the finders stone trilogy. I am very interested and have waited a very long time for a dedicated FR book club discussion site. I am willing to help out in any way possible to make it continue to be successful.

Edited by - scererar on 04 Mar 2006 03:04:46
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  11:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

not to disagree with you too much Alaundo , but I personlly feel that "participating" in the book club discussion after the majority of the book has been discussed by a majority of the sages, after the month that the book is scheduled to be discussed, so far has frustrated me. it's almost a day late and a dollar short, in my opinion. I concur with my fellow scribe, that maybe having the book discussion, say about a month after it's release date, would allow more sages to participate (seeing as an example our fellow sages in Australia seem to have an extraordinary delay in receiving the current releases). Additionally, if there is going to be a future poll for the classic book club discussion, I want to get one in early, let's go for the finders stone trilogy. I am very interested and have waited a very long time for a dedicated FR book club discussion site. I am willing to help out in any way possible to make it continue to be successful.

Well met

Thank ye for thy comments, scererar. I quite understand thy point. I do like to get the book club threads up ready for release, however, as some readers do get the book within the release month. Again, as i've said before, there is never a closing date for book clubs so feel free to post your comments in the relevant threads at any time

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  08:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Just as a reminder that both Blackstaff and Bloodwalk will be the focus of next months Book Club. I hope to see many of ye participating in these novels, for they surely sound splendid indeed

Steven Schend and James P. Davis will be participating in the book club to answer any questions etc.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  02:08:37  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven Schend and James P. Davis will be participating in the book club to answer any questions etc.

Hello-

Any chance I can get first in line for some of that "etc." that you mention Alaundo?

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  03:22:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Just as a reminder that both Blackstaff and Bloodwalk will be the focus of next months Book Club. I hope to see many of ye participating in these novels, for they surely sound splendid indeed

I ordered Blackstaff from Amazon so I can actually read a book at the same time as everyone else!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  15:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo,

Is there any word yet as to what the books will be for the remainder of the year? I want to make sure I have them so I can participate.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2006 :  16:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dremvek

Alaundo,

Is there any word yet as to what the books will be for the remainder of the year? I want to make sure I have them so I can participate.

Thank you!

Well met

Certainly, Dremvek. All new FR releases from WotC will be featured. I'll be putting a poll up towards the end of next month to see how many will be interested in participating in book clubs for Swords of Eveningstar and Road of the Patriarch, however, due to them being hardcovers, which not everyone purchases in this format.

Glad to see thy commitment, Dremvek and I look forward to seeing thy comments over the coming months

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

jmf
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  16:24:29  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmmmmmmmm this might be a problem since my local bookstore does not have any of those books.

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page

Avaly
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:36:42  Show Profile  Visit Avaly's Homepage Send Avaly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me kindly,
Being quite an avid reader, I was wondering if a decision has been made for the month of Nov. this year since I would like to join up at that point.

Thank you,
Avaly
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2006 :  20:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avaly

Excuse me kindly,
Being quite an avid reader, I was wondering if a decision has been made for the month of Nov. this year since I would like to join up at that point.

Thank you,
Avaly

Well met

Most certainly, Avaly, and it would be a pleasure to have ye with us November's book will be none other than the eagerly awaited Shadowbred, by Paul S Kemp

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  17:44:10  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to contact Mark, Frostfell (still looks like Frosteel on the cover) is out! Tomorrow is the first, and so far this one is worth it.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  17:04:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Time to contact Mark, Frostfell (still looks like Frosteel on the cover) is out! Tomorrow is the first, and so far this one is worth it.

Well met

Aye, Mark has already agreed to stop by for the Book Club so we should hopefully see some activity soon

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  18:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met Alaundo!

Who's up in january ?

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:29:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

Hail and well met Alaundo!

Who's up in january ?

Well met, Besshalar

We actually have a break in January as there are no new novel releases. February kicks off with Sacrifice of the Widow

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we can have an older, classic book for the book club that month? Elfshadow, Spellfire, Azure Bonds? Ones like that.
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:51:04  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the motion I have some holes in my realmslore concerning some of the older ones and would appreciate a chance to discuss one of them :)

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  17:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

We did have a Classic book featured some time ago...in fact, it was Elfshadow, and whilst being a very popular book that is often talked about amongst Realms fans, there was very little participation.

I'm open to suggestions and a poll, however. If there is enough interest in reading a classic novel, then i'm happy to open up a Book Club for the month

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  18:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it sound good, letīs make a poll. I am a firs timer concerning this book club, but have read many FR books. I am looking forward to the poll

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 07 Dec 2006 18:12:49
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  18:52:38  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I am reading alot about the Realms. I would enjoying what others thought of some of those older books such as the Avatar series or the one where Azoun fought the horde from the east. :)

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000