Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Selune
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  21:42:47  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I wan to run a char. worshipper of Selune and I wanted to know wich was would suit more to this goddess. And I would like to know what the features would be as well...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  00:52:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A priest... following the Silverstar PrC as presented in F&P (or the original 2e version in F&A). You could also try for the 2e Guide priest kit from the Selune entry in F&A.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  01:11:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

A priest... following the Silverstar PrC as presented in F&P (or the original 2e version in F&A). You could also try for the 2e Guide priest kit from the Selune entry in F&A.

I believe the question is not about how to run a Priest/ess or cleric, rather it is about what other classes and/or races would take Selune as a patron deity, Though out the realms there are many famous NPCs that have a patron deity but choose not to be a Cleric (or sometimes can not be one).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 02 Jan 2006 01:31:37
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  01:25:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can picture good aligned rogues, ones that do a lot of "work" at night, having Selune as a patron. And after reading Mistress of the Night, I can picture rangers and other devoted to Selune that hate evil lycanthropes, since they pervert the "holiness" of the moonlight with their taint. If I remember correctly, Ed seemed to imply that Selune also tends to be worshipped by female spellcasters, or at least that there is a special link between female arcane casters and Selune, so I could see a sorcerer or wizard that was female and NG, CG, or CN devoted to her, and perhaps making sure to work their scrying and such things that might be put off toward the night time hours when Selune shines down on them.

I almost forgot, sailor and navigators of all types would likely revere her, since they would use her celestial bodies to guide them, and astrologers and fortune tellers that utilize the stars to any degree would also have reason to worship her.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 02 Jan 2006 01:27:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  03:50:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I believe the question is not about how to run a Priest/ess or cleric, rather it is about what other classes and/or races would take Selune as a patron deity, Though out the realms there are many famous NPCs that have a patron deity but choose not to be a Cleric (or sometimes can not be one).

Not necessarily. Thelonius did ask "which would suit more to this goddess". Obviously, this includes those divine classes which are listed as main choices for servants of Selune.

And KEJR's remarks about the navigator/guide aspect above relates with what I said earlier about the second priest kit for Selune presented in F&A.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  04:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Selune is also worshipped by good aligned lycanthropes as well.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  05:21:29  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the nomads in the Marsh Drovers of the Farsea Marshes who worship her in her aspect of "Bright Nydra," either (Dragon #307 - Heroes of Cormyr is where I saw this in case anyone was wondering).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  06:02:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Don't forget the nomads in the Marsh Drovers of the Farsea Marshes who worship her in her aspect of "Bright Nydra," either (Dragon #307 - Heroes of Cormyr is where I saw this in case anyone was wondering).

And Bright Nydra was written up in a old Polyhedron by Eric. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  06:20:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kuje, you saved me the bother of heading over to Thomas' thread and asking where he got her from

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  07:19:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Thanks Kuje, you saved me the bother of heading over to Thomas' thread and asking where he got her from

Issue #117 to be exact. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  07:59:43  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And what special features or habilitieswould gain a worshipper of Selune ?

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  09:05:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

IIRC, Selune is also worshipped by good aligned lycanthropes as well.
~Kes

The aforementioned Mistress of the Night novel contains a good example of this in the form of the main character -- Feena.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jan 2006 09:05:46
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  10:56:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

And what special features or abilities would gain a worshipper of Selune ?

Abilities are granted most of the time by selection of class and not deity. Just following the faith of Selune does not grant features that I know of, nor do I recall any other deity granting an asured feature for just following their faith. Some deities will, at DM discreation, will grant some forms of aid to any follower (a few deities might offer minor aid to even non followers that somehow appear deserving of it.)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Urlithani
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2006 :  22:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Urlithani's Homepage Send Urlithani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selűne preaches tolerance and understanding above most everything else, and her faithful are loved and rapidly growing in number because of this. You could find her influence just about anywhere.

Pretty much because of how much tolerance is preached, any race and/or class combination can revere Selűne. From a Half-orc Barbarian, to a Human Ranger, to a half-aarakocra/tiefling monk/rogue...thing. You get the idea.

Well, any class but Paladin can revere her (Although I thought I skimmed over something that said Paladin of Selűne at one point and time, but I am sure I'm mistaken...yes yes I know about Sune I'm not mixing it up it was somewhere else). I'm not sure about Druids either, actually.

She doesn't give out special abilities, but she is known to bless those who pray at her altars by turning the milk or wine they pour onto it into Moonfire if they have pleased her. This can be collected and used to create magical items and healing potions, or it may flow down and bless those who pray to her, giving them temporary magical abilities.

That's about all I got. I haven't read any D&D books in quite a while.

Biggest. Selûne. Fanboy. Ever! :)
"The only reward of Virtue is Virtue." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The time is always right to do what is right. "
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  00:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always found it very easy and contributing (for the character´s background, etc.) to play a bard that worships Selune, aswell (once again I´m 2E, so maybe portfolio changes of newer editions make this less plausible. But her portfolio & the aforementioned aspect of tolerance seem to suit a bardic pc very well, especially if he is a "traveller".

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  06:22:49  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selune is one of those goddesses that can be worshipped by darn near anyone thanks to her portfolio and reputation. Sailors, lycanthropes, priests, bards, etc. as have been mentioned are great choices but I could see sorcerers, fighters, rogues, druids (connection to nature in the form of lycanthropy and the moon) also. I ran a fighter/sorcerer worshipper of Selune and it was quite rewarding: I've found her to be my favorite deity and most fitting of my own personality.

There is a paladin of selune class in Champions of Valor called the Crescent Moon Knight, entailing that there are some paladins of the silvery goddess.

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  13:28:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The latest Dragon Magazine has an article on moon and sun themes, and there are a few substitution levels for rangers and rogues in it, as well as a few feats that detail different advantages that a character might have if they were born under a certain phase of the moon. I immideately thought of Selune, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  18:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings

I think that the Lunar Magic Feat from the back of the Waterdeep city of Splendors source book pg146, is a must have for any worshiper of Selune that is a spell caster. If you are using the 3.5 rules set I love the flavor of it.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  18:19:10  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could Seluné ever be revered by evil lycanthropes?
In the same sort of way as some good sailors would offer praise to Umberlee
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  19:22:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Not as a patron deity... But anyone can revere any god. It's actually rather common, in the Realms.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2006 :  06:18:54  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Silverstar character incorporating feats from Champions of Valor would make a really interesting PC (i.e. Silver Fang feat, and other "Silver"-themed feats would make things very interesting...)
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2006 :  15:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Not as a patron deity... But anyone can revere any god. It's actually rather common, in the Realms.

Example of course is a farmer paying Talona lip service for no bad crops this season, or sailors going out on the sea and asking Umberlee to spare them.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  05:18:08  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question to anyone here who has DMed a Silverstar:

How did you deal with the Lycanthrope's animal HD and level adjustment? since "being a lycan" is essentially a feature of the class, did you reduce the level adjustment somewhat? I'm not about to just "cancel" the level adjustment, because the min/maxer in all of us (and within my players as well) will then always opt for werebear or weretiger...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  06:01:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I have a question to anyone here who has DMed a Silverstar:

How did you deal with the Lycanthrope's animal HD and level adjustment? since "being a lycan" is essentially a feature of the class, did you reduce the level adjustment somewhat? I'm not about to just "cancel" the level adjustment, because the min/maxer in all of us (and within my players as well) will then always opt for werebear or weretiger...

Check out SKR's Curse of the Moon pdf. He felt weres were broken in D&D, and set out to create a workable system for how to handle them. It's a $5 pdf, and I think it's well worth it -- it's got some really good stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  08:50:26  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly. I'll try to check this out at some point.

Unfortunately, in the immediate, I'm more looking at a rules-lawyer type of answer, as the game is Tuesday night and I have a new gamer showing up with a Silverstar...

When I look at the NPC's at the end of CoV (CR13 ogre weredirebear ranger 6, and CR6 human werewolf ranger 4...) I can't stop thinking that this ogre is ECL 27 (ogre 4HD, ogre level adjust +2, dire bear 12HD, ranger 6HD, Level Adjust +3 as he is natural lycan) and that this human is ECL 9 (wolf 2HD, Level Adjust +3, ranger 4HD).

I mean, the werewolf example has ECL minus CR equal to 3. Is it worth 3 levels to get damage reduction 10/silver, +2 STR, +4 DEX, +4 CON, the Scent ability, Low-light vision? sure... I think so...

But the ogre? ECL - CR = 14!!! (although here you get +20 to STR, which is nothing to sneeze at... but still? even though a player would have the gear of a level 27 creature, if you had the choice, would you pick a fight with this guy or a 27th-level wizard?) The CR/ECL spread is way too big IMHO!

So in short: Silverstar PrC allows afflicted to be as natural lycan (so the class in itself gives you a +1 level adjust "for free") but have any of you heard or implemented some guidelines on the HD and level adjustment of the base creature in regards to that PrC? I'm tempted to make it a standard "+3 level adjust gift" (i.e. if you play a werewolf, all it costs you are the two wolf HD, with no artificial level adjustments; if you play something bigger, then you pay artificial (read: HD-less) level adjustment penalties.

Oh, and how does this work with Epic levels?

Boy I have some reading to do before Tuesday...
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  10:02:15  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little off-topic but I thought about this while reading this thread: do we have a official drwaing showing Selune (the moon) and her Tears?! I would love to see such a picture sometime and I don't recall it on any cover or dragon.

Can someone help me out...?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  11:23:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Thanks Wooly. I'll try to check this out at some point.

Unfortunately, in the immediate, I'm more looking at a rules-lawyer type of answer, as the game is Tuesday night and I have a new gamer showing up with a Silverstar...

Trust me, get the pdf. SKR is very much rules-oriented.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  12:28:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

A little off-topic but I thought about this while reading this thread: do we have a official drwaing showing Selune (the moon) and her Tears?! I would love to see such a picture sometime and I don't recall it on any cover or dragon.

Can someone help me out...?

I don't recall any specifically detailed illustrations of the Tears. Realmspace has an image, of sorts, of the arrangement of the Tears. And there's a brief description of their orbital arrangements.

Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  12:41:53  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my current game i have two NPC's that are going to become a little more important to the story line in a few game sessions. They are aasimar sisters of Selune and since they are "important" i have built them as gestalt (just like the PC's). The younger of the sisters Ceana [keh-Na] is a wizard/priest while her older sister Brighde [BREE-ju] is Ranger/Paladin.

Selune came to the sisters in a dream and showed them an old shrine on the edge of the South Wood where a druid coven once worshipped. Seven stone plinths mark the border of the grove. The Stones were carved by dwarves of Amarrindar to honor the help the druids gave during the second Troll War. The druids eventually left the area over the ages for several reasons and the shrine has gone largely unused other than being a place to camp for wandering adventurers.

The sisters were the first to arrive at the shrine and are awaiting five other followers of Selune who plan to use this place as their place worship and to perform the Myster of the Night.

None of this is cannon BTW.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000