Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Official flower of Silverymoon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coastiemike
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  21:08:12  Show Profile  Visit coastiemike's Homepage Send coastiemike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. I have searched through the various supplements I have and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping you all can help me.

My PCs are being honored at an awards ceremony in the High Palace of Silverymoon. Most of them have really gotten into what they plan to wear to the ceremony.

One of my female characters would like to wear the official flower of Silverymoon in her hair. Does anyone know what this is? If there isn't one, what would be a good choice considering how far north Silverymoon is?

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  21:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coastiemike

Hi all. I have searched through the various supplements I have and couldn't find anything so I'm hoping you all can help me.

My PCs are being honored at an awards ceremony in the High Palace of Silverymoon. Most of them have really gotten into what they plan to wear to the ceremony.

One of my female characters would like to wear the official flower of Silverymoon in her hair. Does anyone know what this is? If there isn't one, what would be a good choice considering how far north Silverymoon is?

Good question. Maybe do some research on flowers that bloom in tundra regions. Or, make something up. Or, ask Ed in his thread.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  21:27:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't think there's any printed lore about this. I'd go ask Ed in his thread, as Rino said.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  01:30:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if any place in the Realms has been specified as having an official flower (or bird, or anything like that)...

If I was to wing it, I'd draw from this passage on page 37 of Powers & Pantheons:
quote:
She is said to love flowers, from romantic while and red roses to simple daisies, and to have a persistent sweet tooth with special fondness for mint and for honey wine.

That's from the section on Lurue. One of her other names is Silverymoon, and the city is named after her. It's also the spiritual heart of her faith. So I'd expect that if there was an official flower, it would be one of those that Lurue likes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  01:43:32  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In The Simbul's Gift The Simbul is given a bouquet of snow-flowers as a birthday gift from one of Alustriel's sons. It doesn't say much beyond that except it implies they only grow in Silverymoon and only Alustriel can grow them in summer.

I just read that a few days ago so it's still fresh haha

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  06:02:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed was quite quick to answer this one, over in his thread.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  06:19:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I'll repost Ed's reply here for ease of reference:-

"Hello, all. coastiemike, I sent your query off to Ed, who must have been camped on his computer, because he sent a reply back right away. Here 'tis:

Hi, coastiemike. There's no such thing as an "official flower" for Silverymoon, BUT there's only one flower that anyone in Silverymoon would consider using or wearing in such a ceremony. It's called either "blueshine" or "moonflower," and is a tiny white tulip-shaped flower surrounded by six triangular green leaves. The green leaves glow a vivid blue when touched by moonlight, and the white flower glows a pearly white - - and long, long ago, Silvaeren spellcasters devised a simple cantrip that duplicates moonlight closely enough to make these flowers glow under all lighting conditions, when it's applied to them.

So saith Ed. And there you have it . . .
love,
THO

Edit: Ed neglected to mention that this flower grows wild all over the Dessarin valley, among what's called "snowdrift" (a ground-hugging flower that looks like white clover). This comes from my own notes, jotted down during play over the years."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000