Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Canonic Info on Cyric
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  06:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looking for some canonic info on Cyric for my campaign set in 1364 DR. I know Cyric was the god of the dead as well as having taking Bane's place in the Zhentarim.

What I would like to know is what kind of god of death is Cyric? I know Myrkul was more like the grim reaper and I know Kelemvor is more nuetral helping souls reach their end.

Did Cyric try to cheat other gods out of souls? What did his priests go about doing/preaching?

I understand the Zhentarim suffered many set backs while Bane was missing and Cyric had many cleansings. How did the Zhentarim mages work with the priests of Cyric? Was it different from the Banites?

Pointing me to sources would also be great.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  06:55:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric isn't the god of the dead, that's Kelemvor. :)

As for sources, Faiths and Avatars, Faiths & Pantheons, the FRCS, the Ruins of Zhent Keep box set, FR Adventures, the 2e box set, and there's probably others but the first two have the best info.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  08:34:19  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novel Prince of Lies deals with the situation around Cyrics fall as the god of Death. I can remember what year those happenings took place though.

Cyric neglected his role as caretaker of the dead souls if I remember correctly and generally tried to use any means at his disposal to increase his own power and the same goes for the church of Cyric. Fzoul and other older surviving banites where not all that happy in his service.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  12:55:19  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

In 1364 DR Cyric still was the current God of the Dead.

Anyhow, as to the book 'Prince of Lies', it takes place in the 1368 DR IIRC, 10 years after the Time of troubles ends. It depicts very detailed how Cyric sees his position as God of the dead and I can only recomand you to read it.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  13:26:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the sources quoted are good ones, and the Prince of Lies novel perhaps best covers Cyric's tenure as Lord of the Dead. To sum up how he acted, he was of the "Ooh! Death is scary!" type, and he enjoyed tricking people into turning False.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Jan 2008 13:26:55
Go to Top of Page

LordArcana
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  13:42:13  Show Profile  Visit LordArcana's Homepage Send LordArcana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with so many novels is after a while its hard (for me at least) to keep them all seperate in my mind. Is prince of lies the one where Cyric tricks the paladin of Torm and later when the paladin calls out for his true deity Torm comes a knocking threatening to kill all the pitfiends Cyric can throw at him?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  14:02:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordArcana

The problem with so many novels is after a while its hard (for me at least) to keep them all seperate in my mind. Is prince of lies the one where Cyric tricks the paladin of Torm and later when the paladin calls out for his true deity Torm comes a knocking threatening to kill all the pitfiends Cyric can throw at him?

Yup.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  16:14:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

In 1364 DR Cyric still was the current God of the Dead.

Anyhow, as to the book 'Prince of Lies', it takes place in the 1368 DR IIRC, 10 years after the Time of troubles ends. It depicts very detailed how Cyric sees his position as God of the dead and I can only recomand you to read it.

Oh yeah, sorry, your right.

As I said earlier this week, on another thread, I block the ToT's out of my memories. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  21:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, Bhaal was the god of Death as per the 2E sources. Myrkul being the pre-ToT god of Death is a 3E retcon.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  01:20:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Also, Bhaal was the god of Death as per the 2E sources. Myrkul being the pre-ToT god of Death is a 3E retcon.

Well, it's an odd distinction. Bhaal covered the act of dying (especially, dying by someone else's hand), while Myrkul covered all those who were dead.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

504 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  03:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the information. Cyric is always one of those gods I never understand well so I have a hard time RPing his minions. I will pick up Prince of Lies next chance I get.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  10:30:54  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Well, it's an odd distinction. Bhaal covered the act of dying (especially, dying by someone else's hand), while Myrkul covered all those who were dead.

As both Myrkul and Bhaal chose from Jergals powers when they achieved godhood their portfolios are somewhat naturally related or intertwined. Myrkul chose the Domain of the Domain Bhaal that of Murder, IIRC. Therefore Bhaal became the God of Murder and Assassination.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  15:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Wooly pointed out, Bhaal was the god of the act of dying (Death), even if it wasn't by violence. Mykul was the god of the Dead.

So Bhaal was really the "grim reaper" god.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 14 Jan 2008 15:05:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000