Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  00:06:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I know Ed wants to keep the mysteries of the gods mysterious (for instance, the "human" goddess of reason, beloved of Lathander, who was killed long ago), but we DMs are (effectively) Ao when we run, and the more divine lore we know, the better we can run our campaigns.

Murdane was Helm's lover, not Lathander's.

And "killed long ago" depends upon exactly where, in FR history, you believe the Dawn Catalcysm occured!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  21:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Ed and Lovely Lady Hooded,

I'm in the process of building a new campaign that will be set in the Unapproachable East. Specifically, the characters' hometown will be a village in Mettledale. I am curious to know if either of you have any thoughts on the area beyond what's written in the in-print sources. Has the home Realms campaign ranged to this part of Faerun? I'm still grateful for the wonderful write-up of Harrowdale's history back in 2004.

Thanks!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

Tamtararamtam
Acolyte

Poland
13 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2006 :  21:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Tamtararamtam's Homepage Send Tamtararamtam a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Tamtararamtam

I have a question about Garagos. Will we see some time in the near future raise of his cult?
I mean some kind of information on cult of The Reaver, perhaps an adventure or small campaign? Or is he just another abandoned god that will only be mentioned as former deity of Netheril/Jhaamdath?

(I hope this is the right thread to ask such questions)

Garagos has a detailed write-up in the 2E tome Powers & Pantheons. It's prolly the best source of info on the Reaver.

Yes, I know, but I was looking for an updated material. Just to know that the cult is spreading, and planning something.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2006 :  16:05:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed is still encoiled in the depths of crafting Realmslore, Realmslore, Realmslore, but emerged long enough to reply to Tamtararamtam:

Yes. :}
That is: yes, the cult of Garagos is thriving and preparing for Great Things. As for when and how such schemes will manifest, NDA. Sorry.
And sorry to all scribes for my silences. More "proper" Realmslore replies ASAP.

So saith Ed. The overworked workhorse of the Realms.
love to all,
THO
P.S. to The Sage: still nothing. (?)

Edited by - The Hooded One on 16 Dec 2006 16:06:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2006 :  23:49:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. to The Sage: still nothing. (?)
Aye.

Thank you, my Lady. It appears that SageOS was registering your email as a "threat" to my system and could not send the desired message along to you.

I've since deactivated that routine and will re-send the message again later today (possibly tomorrow, your time).

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  15:11:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah. SageOS may well be quite astute in that respect.
Ahem. Hi again, fellow scribes. Herewith, Ed’s latest reply, this one to RodOdom’s question: “Dear Ed and Lady THO, Here's what I hope is a quick question: when mages invent spells, are they creating something that has never existed before in their world, or are they discovering something that already existed in Mystra's Weave?”
Ed’s response:

Mages are creating something new (though of course in many cases they are unwittingly creating slight variations on spells first created by someone else, earlier, in another land - - spells that are sometimes forgotten, and sometimes still in use, “improved” and sometimes altered greatly; and in some cases of training, are deliberately tinkering with known spells to create variants), but the new spells will only work if they properly tap into natural energies. In other words, the Weave is a way of controlling and ordering those energies (or a way of understanding and expressing those forces), and to succeed, all spells must call on the energies in one of many ways that are compatible with the Weave. Incompatability means either failure or the generation of a spontaneous wild magic discharge.

So saith Ed, master of all magic in the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Tamtararamtam
Acolyte

Poland
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  21:14:03  Show Profile  Visit Tamtararamtam's Homepage Send Tamtararamtam a Private Message
Thank you :)
NDA stands for?

Edited by - Tamtararamtam on 17 Dec 2006 22:00:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  21:17:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Tamtararamtam

Tahnk you :)
NDA stands for?

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/2ECF62E6-B334-4E83-9A94FA20A3FAFD38/310/119/ART/

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 17 Dec 2006 21:18:09
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  21:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
Hehe there are a good few sages here who've felt the sting of that one first hand
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  00:45:30  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
With every illumination of Realmslore by professor Ed and headmistress THO, I feel I am one step closer to graduating Candlekeep University. Thank you !
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  02:56:35  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
Greetings Ed & THO,

I trust the creation of new facets of the realms is coming along smoothly. Further to my question regarding Zhentish "nobility" I wanted to ask you a quick question about Storm Silverhand.

When you think about Storm's musical abilities and what she actually might sound like when performing are there any real life contemporaries/parellels that come to mind?

Thanks

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  17:20:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed,

I was doing some research for some articles and noticed in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast a reference to the Great Frost of 1346DR in the Corm Orp entry. This reference caught my interest because of the caps on those two words, making it seem like it was a large event... Could you give us some more lore about that event?

Also, Volo's Guide to the North has a Travelers' Lore section in the Neverwinter write up of the Moonstone Mask about Elminster being found head downward in a chimney/laundry chute. How, and why, did he manage that?

And last question for this set of questions. Could you give us some lore about the plants that are grown in Neverwinter? I'm asking because I may use this info in a future article for Keep.

Edit: THO can you check your email. I have send a private question to Ed.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Dec 2006 18:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  17:43:59  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I have some hesitations on asking these question as they tend to be morose, but it is of importance to Realms fans.

If something was to happen to happen to Ed (God Forbid!), would would happen to the Forgotten Realms? Would alrights be reverted to Wizards or whomever owns it? Or would it go to Ed's heirs like certain works of fiction (like Tolkien)?

Has Ed been training an apprentice/s that might be able to help keep his spirit alive in the Realms for years to come? Does Ed ever think of what might become of one of his greatest literary creation after his passing? Does he see it as one of his legacies to future generations?

Sorry for bring the spectre of death or illness in, but it was a question that has been troubling my mind and likely some of the players of the realms in the dark of night.

Let's just hope that Ed lives to be over a hundred.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  18:09:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Foxhelm , WotC owns FR now, no death would change or transfer ownership, unless the rights are sold to an individual. Ed has the right to provide canon that has not made print, as the creator of the Realms, however if current owner disaggrees their printed material is canon not Ed's words.

To get more back on topic a followup question.

The number of followers of Eilistraee was rather stuning.
You said
"I’d say a little more than 22% or so of all drow in Faerűn worship Eilistraee"
and
"Drow who ONLY worship Eilistraee are almost entirely her clergy, and are probably between 10 and 12 percent of all drow."

There was some discussion about this in some other threads and some were wondering if the percentages perhaps over stated?
It would also be interesting to know percentages of worshipers of other races if you have an estimate. Something along the lines Eilistraee worshipers are <foo> percent Drow, <foo? percent half-elf, <foo> percent fair elf (perhaps seperated into the sub surface races), and so on.

The overall percentages of Drow would appear to make Eilistraee Drow a powerful force in that they would not war amonst themselves and do have at least some surface allies. Is it your vision that in time that Eilistraee will become the primary Drow religion any time in the future?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2006 :  18:17:40  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Sorry, I wasn't sure how much control that Ed had. I am still curious about what Ed has done to prepare the Realms in case anything had happened to him.

It's just in many ways, Ed is a secruity blanket. Many people might not like aspects of the realms (The new planes, the number of gods), but many take comfort in the fact that Ed has some major input in the events as creator. He created the realms and has the ability to enhance it as well.

Well, thanks for the partial answer.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  09:12:56  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Is it your vision that in time that Eilistraee will become the primary Drow religion any time in the future?

What shocking a thought. And pretty unlikely, as I doubt that numbers alone make a deity, even though you may get this notion relying solely on the info in F&P.
Yet, we'll wait and see. The drow scrolls from further above have yet to caught the archmage's attention.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gćđ a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerűn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 19 Dec 2006 09:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  17:30:55  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hiya Ed,

Also, Volo's Guide to the North has a Travelers' Lore section in the Neverwinter write up of the Moonstone Mask about Elminster being found head downward in a chimney/laundry chute. How, and why, did he manage that?

I'm guessing he was talking to "the Laughing Wyrm" (whose real name I am not going to attempt to spell without having DoF at hand)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2006 :  17:35:50  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Hi Ed and tHO, thank you yet again for your continuing enlightenment of us lore-hungry scribes.

This time I have a multi-part question about Aglarondan currency:

What is the name of the currency used in that nation (supposing it has one of its own)?

What does the coins look like?

How is the currency viewed in other nations, i.e is it considered a good, trustworthy mint, or something best melted down and transformed into trade bars?

And finally, where are the coins made?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  00:59:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, scribes. Another Realmslore reply from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to Swordsage’s: “Just a quick supplementary question to Ed's rabies response, are any of these 'cures' edible in their own right or are they eaten only for curing purposes?”
Ed says:

Foambane, quarrada, and amthannas (which must be scraped off rocks, to be harvested) are all edible but not very pleasant (too bitter) - - and eating them BEFORE one gets rabies DOESN’T build up any immunity or prevention. Fire eyes are small mushrooms, with a heavy, oily flesh that’s variously described as “waxy” and “soapy.” They can be eaten, but make most mammals queasy; the stomach revolts if too many are consumed in a short time (they aren’t poisonous, do no real damage, and don’t cause “the runs,” just involuntary vomiting).
Some southerners steam quarrada in butter that’s been herbed (that is, mixed with a secret mixture of powdered herbs), transforming its bitterness into a “smoky” taste and its texture to something akin to artichokes. This means of preparation is little known north of Calimshan.

So saith Ed. Who seldom misses a chance to increase our collective Faerűnian culinary skills.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  08:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message
Well met once again lady THO and mister Greenwood,

I have a simple question that cropped up in a discussion with a fellow scribe.

Bananas, do they exsist in the realms? And if they do, where would they grow? Where to would they be exported, and would they be a rich man's food or common place?

Thank you.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  12:53:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwill

Bananas, do they exsist in the realms? And if they do, where would they grow? Where to would they be exported, and would they be a rich man's food or common place?

Thank you.

Ed will likely have more, but I can answer most of this. Bananas do exist in the Realms, and in orchards throughout Zakhara.

Monkey spiders, in the Realms, are said to feed on bananas.

One of the material components for the spell, "Caddelyn's Catastrophe", is a banana peel.

There are banana groves in Mezro.

Banana plantations exist throughout Luiren also. The halflings are said to sometimes export bananas to other locations throughout the Realms.

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Dec 2006 12:54:29
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  13:27:32  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

Is it possible to divulge any lore on Sarthor, the Harper infiltrator in the Zhentarim, who sacrificed his life to allow Shandril to create a Crown of Fire? Amongst other things - did he start our as a Harper and infiltrate the Zhentarim or was he a Zhentarim "turned" by the Harpers?

So long and thanks for all the Realms...
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  15:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Blackwill

Thank you.

Ed will likely have more, but I can answer most of this. Bananas do exist in the Realms, and in orchards throughout Zakhara.

Monkey spiders, in the Realms, are said to feed on bananas.

One of the material components for the spell, "Caddelyn's Catastrophe", is a banana peel.

There are banana groves in Mezro.

Banana plantations exist throughout Luiren also. The halflings are said to sometimes export bananas to other locations throughout the Realms.

Thanks for the info. Seems that the info given makes bananas local food for very southern regions. I'm curious how far north this gets exported too though.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  18:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Another lore question for the Master.
A long time ago, at a GenCon (Parkside, I think), Ed said there was a "big, crucial-to-Realmslore" story involving two of the Seven Sisters.
Are we ever going to see this story? Or hints about it, at least?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  19:01:27  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
how good is "intelligence" in Athkatla, in Amn? If someone is caught cheating as a merchant in Waterdeep, how soon and how widely do average street merchants and shopkeepers in Athkatla hear about it?
P.S. When are we ever going to see your second City of the Realms in DRAGON?
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  19:15:10  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Lady THO,
It will come as no surprise to Ed, I'm sure, that I'm interested in magisters (judges, justices, magistrates) in Cormyr. Can he share some names, descriptions, uniforms, court procedures, etc.?
Please?
Great site, and great dollops of Realmslore. Much thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  20:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
I seem to recall Ed saying the second city was turned in to DRAGON, text before the summer and maps in July.
So I guess it's their call . . .
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  20:31:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I have a suggestion, if Lady THO will indulge me.
We scribes increasingly ask lore questions that force Ed to write little essays to answer them properly.
I LOVE those essays, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure Ed is busy busy busy right now with family at holidays (to say nothing of * cough * SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE *cough*), and I'd like to propose that scribes pepper Ed with queries he can answer with yes/no or one word, like this:
In Cormyr, do Blue Dragons wear uniforms or badges that are blue?
If Dove or Laeral walked up to the gates of Silverymoon, or along its streets, would she be recognized by the general populace?
Right, those are my two.
Scribes?
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  21:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Hey. Great idea, Blueblade.
Okay, here's one from me:
Are the people in Daerlun friendlier to Cormyr than their trade rivals in Selgaunt and other Sembian cities, or not?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2006 :  21:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
And mine: will Ed, by the end of Swords of Dragonfire, give us a clearer roster of the noble families of Cormyr?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000