Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Short story feature - "Wayfarer"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Due to appear on the official WotC Forgotten Realms website soon, is a story by Erik Scott de Bie, entitled Wayfarer. The story takes place three hours after the prelude to Ghostwalker and just less than fifteen years before the first chapter.

The story does not contain any spoilers to the novel, and can be read at any time. Please discuss herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  23:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acknowledgments and thanks are due to the staff at Wizards for letting me post up a whole short story as a supplement, and giving me a medium to publish it.

When it arrives, 'twill be completely free (unless Wizards has suddenly decided to charge for using their website) and will spoil nothing important from the novel. If anything, it will make it just more mysterious.

Feel free to read the story before or after Ghostwalker -- it will make sense in either context.

As soon as it comes up, either Alaundo, I, or one of ye mighty admins will post up a link for all your reading pleasure.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  16:48:07  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any word on this story?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2005 :  16:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It didn't go up with the December update, so I'm hoping Monday.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  19:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Further update:

I heard from my editor over at WotC that "Wayfarer" would likely go up later this month -- apparently, they like to, as she put it, "spread the goodies" to keep people coming back to the site.

Next week, perhaps? We'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  23:17:45  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bleh
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  23:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Shrug] Apologies.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  19:07:06  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

[Shrug] Apologies.

Cheers

No problem, it is nice of them to put it up at all and I am sure it is worth the wait.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  20:37:40  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Next week, perhaps? We'll see.

I hope so, I am already missing my Ghostwalker fix.

I am having to resort to reading George R. R. Martin! Funnily enough Game of Thrones also features a character called Arya

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  20:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Being followed up by Martin is something of an honor. ;)

And yes, there is a character in A Song of Ice and Fire named Arya. Kind of this unintentional homage: it's a coincidence -- I didn't read any of Martin until I had sent in my proposal for Ghostwalker.

Fortunately, it's a totally different character, so I won't get accused of borrowing her. ;)

And really -- there wasn't really anything else I could name the character. The name's significant to her role in the novel. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 06 Dec 2005 20:47:18
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  14:25:05  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested, WOTC has posted wayfarer on their novels website. Here's the link:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/wayfarer

Haven't had a chance to read this one yet but will post some comments once I have.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  16:44:29  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yes, there is a character in A Song of Ice and Fire named Arya. Kind of this unintentional homage: it's a coincidence -- I didn't read any of Martin until I had sent in my proposal for Ghostwalker.

You could almost imagine (through parallel dimensions and crossovers and whatnot) that Arya the Knight in Ghostwalker is the grown up version of Arya the girl in A Game of Thrones.

Both excellent characters!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I think the Arya in Martin's work is headed in a very different direction than my Arya.

But anyway. (Stops self from straying too far from topic!)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  17:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And really -- there wasn't really anything else I could name the character. The name's significant to her role in the novel. ;)

Cheers

Erik, what do you mean by this? What is significant about the name "Arya"?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  18:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

Cheers

Erik, what do you mean by this? What is significant about the name "Arya"?

It's significant to the musical imagery that runs through Ghostwalker.

If you change one letter in the name (specifically, the "Y"), it becomes a musical term for a bright song that soars above the surrounding music.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  19:15:23  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now I have read Wayfarer, and I have something to say:

To me, is a great injustice that I will see the Ghostwalker here in brazilian shores only in january, or february!

The tale, for me, is a great piece of art, and it put me wanting to take a better look at Meris and all the others.

The characters are awesome. Drex, simply, scared me more than Torlic and Bilgren in the beggining, when they are menacing Meris.

Greyt really catch my eyes! I stay interested in this character, to learn more about him. Greyt´s behaviour (or lack of behaviour) call my atention, and put me wanting to learn more about him - and it´s a rare thing: one "bad guy" for whom I care...

Now, the scenes between Meris, Reldra and Tetlan are simply amazing! They are vividly painted in my mind! The fight of them in the woods put me really wanting to see Meris kick off Tetlan (and I even don´t know if it´s good or bad )

Wow!

Excellent work, Erik!

Now I have to endure a looong wait...

Thanks for that excellent story!

Chosen of Moradin

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  23:00:40  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your a big tease Erik, that was too short
Excellent work on Wayfarer, just like Ghostwalker.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  00:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm glad you guys liked it!

Chosen -- thanks for the compliment on the fight scene. It was really brief, but I thought I achieved a certain intensity I was going for.

Warlockco - that was just the length it came out to. I wrote it in two hours, you know (not counting editing), and when I was done I couldn't think of anything really to add that would make it any better. Plus, WotC gave me word limits. A teaser, or just a good complement piece.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  01:47:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. You know, you said this would give some insight into Meris, and its funny to read all of these events together and to think about how this must have affected Meris. And his offing his siblings wasn't quite the one sided evil scheme it seemed when alluded to by Greyt when thinking of his son. It is interesting to see that the only thing that Meris thinks he might inherit from Greyt and his line is the family insanity.

I knew something happened with Dharan's father, but either I missed it or just assumed that Greyt offing his father was another political move, and while it might have been, there wasn't much of a lie to the fact that his father really did have to be slain, or at the very least seemed call it all on himself.

So Meris grew up thinking that his family was capable of being insane and killing one another . . . well, that trend certainly continued.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  17:03:21  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great short Erik. Meris is one of the characters that makes you wonder why he is the way he is, and now you explain it, in part. The reasoning is solid, without becoming too cliche or making me groan.

Now, being still in the middle of Ghostwalker, I have to wonder what his role will turn out to be in Walker's story.

This does shed a little light on his interactions with Arya, at least through chapter 8. He killed at least one sibling, and possibly all of the others, and now his another relative his age shows up at their door, possibly coming between him and his father. Such hostility with the mean looks.

Well, I need to get back to reading Ghostwalker.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  17:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you're enjoying, and I'm glad it's shedding new light.

* SPOILER FOR GHOSTWALKER *

Yes, the death of Gharask was a political move in part, but also motivated by necessity.

One of these is the case (and I know which, but you'd have to guess from the info presented in the book, 'cuz I'm evil that way):

Greyt unintentionally killed Rhyn, and had to blame someone, so he embarked on a night of child slaying then blamed it on Gharask and killed him before he could protest loudly to the town.

Or perhaps Gharask really was a child-killer, and Greyt simply put the blame for Rhyn's death on him.

Either way, Meris gets this sense of "Wow, my family's insane!" at a very young age.

* END SPOILER *

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  21:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, all.

Just a friendly little bump, because Realms of the Elves is out and folks who liked "The Greater Treasure" might like "Wayfarer" as well. And it's free, and all. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

TheRedBard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  02:57:22  Show Profile  Visit TheRedBard's Homepage Send TheRedBard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, great job with Wayfarer...couldnt have come at a better time as I just finished Ghostwalker last weekend! Truly "Wayfarer" was all I hoped it would be because I thought Meris was by far the best character in the novel. Its rather strange I liked the character so much, as I usually do not find myself rooting for villians in any novel, but Meris seemed so real to me. By the end of the novel I was actually hoping he would beat Walker and the Lord Singer so I could read more of him...looks like this story is the best I'll get! All in all bravo!

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing!"
-Robin Williams, 1978 HBO Special
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  15:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheRedBard

Ah yes, great job with Wayfarer...couldnt have come at a better time as I just finished Ghostwalker last weekend! Truly "Wayfarer" was all I hoped it would be because I thought Meris was by far the best character in the novel. Its rather strange I liked the character so much, as I usually do not find myself rooting for villians in any novel, but Meris seemed so real to me. By the end of the novel I was actually hoping he would beat Walker and the Lord Singer so I could read more of him...looks like this story is the best I'll get! All in all bravo!

Many thanks!

I see what you mean. There's just something about Meris, isn't there?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  05:50:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spolier if you have not yet read Ghostwalker.
Highlight below to read.

This short made me so much more appreciative of the killing done by Walker. In fact I think if I had read this first, while I still would have enjoyed Meris and Greyt as characters, I would have had no Sympathy for either. I did not have much, but they did earn a small modicum in reading Ghostwalker.

Hrast it, that was a very good story. Once agian well written.
Concise, precise, and not so nice!

Only problem with it was it's like a Dwarven Basketball Team vs. a Team of Barbarians. Too Short!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 04 Sep 2006 05:51:52
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  06:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I conceived and wrote this story in about four hours on a Sunday morning about six months after I finished the actual novel. It was a story I wanted to tell -- as the trauma experienced by Meris at his father's hands was largely unexplained and could only be speculated upon. Now, Meris is still majorly screwed up, but I'm able to show him in another dimension, so that he's not just RABID EVIL.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  14:32:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I conceived and wrote this story in about four hours on a Sunday morning about six months after I finished the actual novel. It was a story I wanted to tell -- as the trauma experienced by Meris at his father's hands was largely unexplained and could only be speculated upon. Now, Meris is still majorly screwed up, but I'm able to show him in another dimension, so that he's not just RABID EVIL.

Cheers

I think that this does show another dimension. When you add up the sum of Meris in your two works, he does not come off a rabidly evil. He is more along the lines of Randomly EVIL. What I mean is you get the sense that this guuy can be very charming, when he wants(needs) to be,

*Spoiler if you have not read Ghostwalker, highliht below to read:

but when it is revealed that he is the one murdering the female couriers,

you can see that he can be terribly evil with no provocation or reward other than his actions.

P.S. I hope you don't mind I pilfered Walker and twisted him to serve as my avatar.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  17:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see you're not a Meris fan.

This, of course, indicated by your persistent requests that I kill him. Again, and again, and again. . . .

My thought on Meris was that he was evil, yes, but the kind of angsty/isolated evil you get with a lifetime of trauma and bitterness. Greyt's actions on the night in question very much set him on the path; he found something dark within himself -- jealousy, specifically over Rhyn -- and couldn't face it. So he ran, and in running he did far worse than he ever did to Rhyn. And at the end of "Wayfarer," he comes to terms with that, for better or for worse (actually, very clearly for worse).

So this shows one dimension of evil: contemptuous, bitter, hateful.

In a sense, Walker and Meris are not so very different. The ghostwalker just happens to have certain influences -- like the ghost of his father and, well, Arya -- that Meris does not. Or, perhaps, could never really connect to in the first place.

Cheers

P.S. And I think the icon looks awesome.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  22:34:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I see you're not a Meris fan.

This, of course, indicated by your persistent requests that I kill him. Again, and again, and again. . . .

My thought on Meris was that he was evil, yes, but the kind of angsty/isolated evil you get with a lifetime of trauma and bitterness. Greyt's actions on the night in question very much set him on the path; he found something dark within himself -- jealousy, specifically over Rhyn -- and couldn't face it. So he ran, and in running he did far worse than he ever did to Rhyn. And at the end of "Wayfarer," he comes to terms with that, for better or for worse (actually, very clearly for worse).

So this shows one dimension of evil: contemptuous, bitter, hateful.

In a sense, Walker and Meris are not so very different. The ghostwalker just happens to have certain influences -- like the ghost of his father and, well, Arya -- that Meris does not. Or, perhaps, could never really connect to in the first place.

Cheers

On the contrary, I'm a huge Meris fan. I liked him for what hid did for the story, he did much more than just help you fill pages. Without him, the story would not work. I respect him for that. But like many things worth having, this great story needed Meris to make the Ultimate Sacrifice to reach the heights it does. I, sadly agreed with that decision.

Honestly though, I hoped my requests for his death were take with a grain of salt, as I was trying to make them tongue in cheek. Sometimes an inserted "smiley" just cant convey the right sarcasm! The only time I was serious in my pleas to you was when (Possible Spoiler if you have not read Ghostwalker, Highlight below to read:)

it appeared he was going to rape Arya, that was powerful stuff and you handled it well.

quote:

P.S. And I think the icon looks awesome.

I'm thinking that you need a Tiefling for yours If you'd like I might just have one I'd let you "borrow".

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  00:43:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

On the contrary, I'm a huge Meris fan. I liked him for what hid did for the story, he did much more than just help you fill pages. Without him, the story would not work. I respect him for that. But like many things worth having, this great story needed Meris to make the Ultimate Sacrifice to reach the heights it does. I, sadly agreed with that decision.

Yay! I'm glad you agreed with that. I thought Meris vital to my story, as a kind of dark mirror to my hero (though what's darker than dark? Do you get so dark you come back around to light? Perhaps).

quote:
Honestly though, I hoped my requests for his death were take with a grain of salt, as I was trying to make them tongue in cheek. Sometimes an inserted "smiley" just cant convey the right sarcasm!

Oh, I always took them as such. As indicated by my reply, "Oh sure, you say that NOW." As in, "oh yeah? Just wait."

quote:
The only time I was serious in my pleas to you was when (Possible Spoiler if you have not read Ghostwalker, Highlight below to read:)

it appeared he was going to rape Arya, that was powerful stuff and you handled it well.

Yep, that was indeed important. I'm glad you thought it well handled.

My better half and I had some discussion about that scene, actually, and a lot about sexual violence in general. Mostly, I consider my audience and my purpose. In this case, we're talking 13+'s, for whom things like rape and molestation aren't issues they'll understand (the latter, of course, being a big "No-No" in Wizards fiction). Frankly, I'm not sure ANYONE understands those things, really. Second, I think about my purpose. I will not put rape into a narrative in order to show that someone is *evil.* If it happens, it happens for a reason; it may allow me to show something about the character, or it may be an expression of something that's really, really wrong with the character.

In this case, remember that Meris stopped himself. That's significant.

quote:
I'm thinking that you need a Tiefling for yours If you'd like I might just have one I'd let you "borrow".

Ha! I could definitely see that -- particularly with my "Disciple of Baalzebul" persona. Email me the icon and I'll check it out, if you wouldn't mind. Address is just my full name @ yahoo.com.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  01:47:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yay! I'm glad you agreed with that. I thought Meris vital to my story, as a kind of dark mirror to my hero (though what's darker than dark? Do you get so dark you come back around to light? Perhaps).

The more I think about the more I am now sure that this story would not have worked at all without Meris. It would have still been a great action/adventure, but without depth. As it stands now, it is an instant Realms Classic, withtout Meris....not sure ;)

Now let me explain why before you try to pilfer my avatar back. Your comment about him being a dark mirror clarified it for me, but he was more that a mirror for Walker. He was the "Moral Anchor" for your story. If we remove Meris, we lose more than his powerfull scenes. We lose his darkness, his EVIL. If Walker stands alone, I think that he would be much less sympathetic for us readers. Without Meris, Walker would look so much darker to us, mayhaps even .....evil(tiny bit). He would still be compelling, but would lose the part of him that appeals to the "good" in us all.

I do not think Walker could be embraced by so many of us without the contrast with Meris that makes him seem justified in his actions.

quote:

Yep, that was indeed important. I'm glad you thought it well handled.

My better half and I had some discussion about that scene, actually, and a lot about sexual violence in general. Mostly, I consider my audience and my purpose. In this case, we're talking 13+'s, for whom things like rape and molestation aren't issues they'll understand (the latter, of course, being a big "No-No" in Wizards fiction). Frankly, I'm not sure ANYONE understands those things, really. Second, I think about my purpose. I will not put rape into a narrative in order to show that someone is *evil.* If it happens, it happens for a reason; it may allow me to show something about the character, or it may be an expression of something that's really, really wrong with the character.

In this case, remember that Meris stopped himself. That's significant.
Cheers

Glad that you included your better half in on your thought process for that scene. I am sure that their are very few men who can properly understand both sides of that dynamic. I will admit to being distressed by that scene enough that I actually closed the book and walked away. That was through no fault of your own, but relating to events witnessed when I was very young. Meris stopping himself is VERY significant.
As you should know through our discussion, I obviously picked your novel back up , and was able to enjoy it. Just thought that I should explain why I thought you handled it so well, and why I did hate Meris(for just a short time though). It fit the story and the characters and was not forced or contrived.

Bravo on a book well penned, and Wayfarer as well.

P.S. I can not tell you how eagerly I am anticipating "The Depths of Madness" I am!! I think we all are!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 06 Sep 2006 12:57:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000