Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Ghostwalker: Chapters 8 - 11
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  22:54:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Ghostwalker, book 2 of the Fighters series, by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss chapters 8-11 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2005 :  06:50:14  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chapter 9

I just want to say how wonderful I think the characters of Derst and Bars are. They are like a knightly double act. The part after they have helped Walker and Arya escape and are invisible was a small but nice piece to stick in the story. It does not alter the course of the novel, or have any major impact, but just fleshes those guys out that little bit more.

Chapter 10

The scene with the ghostly elemental was a blast. I still wonder what bearing that had on the story, as if someone had summoned that to attack Walker, and I guess I will have to see as the story progresses. Nonetheless it was a great scene.

Erik - I notice that throughout the narative of the book you refer to a lot of grays and shades of gray, whether it be in clothing or the Ethereal amongst other things. I wonder if this is a subconscious message about the nature of the characters in the book - that everyone has their own shades of gray (sometimes beneath the surface like the Ethereal) and not everyone is always as they seem.

I also notice that in your dialogue you like to interrupt peoples flow of speech. Is this something you do yourself in life, or something a lot of people do to you?

Malarick

Edited by - Malarick on 03 Dec 2005 23:29:07
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  21:59:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite liked the scene with Gylther'yel and the transition to the ghostly fox. A very atmospheric scene. I love this kind of setting and feeling.

I thought the scene was very well done where Walker tries to warn Unddreth (great character, by the way!) of the wolves. Quite a chaotic and frustrating scene for him and difficult how he opposed Gylther'yel too.

This whole scene with the conflict between Gylther'yel and Walker was great and was probably the first time that Walker opened up and detached from being so calm and methodical. I liked how Gylther'yel just said "let the wolves do their work".

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  22:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again in chapter 9, i think, I felt that Walkers emotions really came out for the first time, when he felt a "heavy heart" and had worries. Before this, he really did seem quite inhuman and incapable of emotion like this. This really adds a new depth to the character.

I loved the scene where they head towards Bilgren's manor and Walker eyes the silk caravan with puzzlement, and then.....BLAM... the barrels and chests burst open and they're ambushed I could feel the tension with this... I knew something was wrong and whole scene actually felt so quiet and eerie before this occured.

The fight with Bilgren was great too. It was nice (in a way) to see him get the better of Walker, showing that he IS sometimes beaten.

I really enjoyed the hunt for the knights through the streets at night. It was well portrayed to effect the whole village and cause irritation to the citizens with being kept awake with the ruckus. I liked the little touch when Derst was invisible and Erik described how the dog backed up when it's nose hit something... it brought an amusing image to mind

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  22:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooohh, I feel exposed and unsafe

The journey through the woods was scary. Very quiet and surreal. With Walker learnt wounded against Arya's back on the horse... a very vulnerable and in a way, touching, scene.

I thought the scene with the ghostfire elemental was great. The lead up to it was very tense, how Walker knew something was wrong, and how he stepped into the Ethereal plane and noticed even the spirits of the dead weren't around!

It was very well done how Arya didn't know what was happening and the scene was described from both the material plane and the ethereal plane. The ghostfire elemental was fantastic! Is this detailed in any D&D\FR sourcebook?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  22:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

The scene with the ghostly elemental was a blast. I still wonder what bearing that had on the story, as if someone had summoned that to attack Walker, and I guess I will have to see as the story progresses. Nonetheless it was a great scene.

Well I don't think the elemental was sent by anyway and it doesn't have a part within the overall story itself. I look at it that Walker spends a lot of time flitting between the ethereal and material plane, and on occasion, odds are that he will come across beings from that plane.

I thought it was a great part of the book, whether it's a deeper part of the story or a one-off encounter...I found it very fitting and loved it. I wanna know more about these creatures

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  02:35:39  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of curious about the etherial elemental too. I could have been random. At first I had thought it was Gylther'yel in elemental form, showing Walker her displeasure. I am starting to wonder if she doesn't have some alterior motive besides just wanting a dispassionate killing machine that she raised to help guard her woods.

Talthaliel is interesting as well, if only by his rather short actual appearance, but importance none the less. Erik seems to like his elves, but he also seems to like keeping them on the periphery of the story as well, important but a little aloof . . . how very elven.

I loved the rousing speech that Greyt gave, especially the flaming sword and all. Again, showing how dangerous a malevolent bard can actually be, though I loved Meris' dry comment about it being overplayed. Speaking of Meris, what exactly is he up to? Obviously like father like son, but we more or less know that Greyt is playing the power and influence game, but Meris? Interesting twist at this stage of the story. I had him figured as a malicious oppourtunist, but I didn't see him having a plan of his own already set in motion.

I loved the scene between Greyt and Lyetha. I almost felt sorry for Greyt, not for who he is, but that he as spent so many years pretending to be something else, being so cynical and fake, and thinking that his loving wife was taken in, only to be cut to the quick like that. No one can wound a man like a woman, especially in situations like this.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  10:42:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I loved the rousing speech that Greyt gave, especially the flaming sword and all. Again, showing how dangerous a malevolent bard can actually be, though I loved Meris' dry comment about it being overplayed. Speaking of Meris, what exactly is he up to? Obviously like father like son, but we more or less know that Greyt is playing the power and influence game, but Meris? Interesting twist at this stage of the story. I had him figured as a malicious oppourtunist, but I didn't see him having a plan of his own already set in motion.

Yeah that was pretty good. I like the 'small town' feel and the ruler who can simply win over the mobs with well chosen words. A great scene.

I'm also giving Meris a lot of thought. He's coming across quite sinister. In a sick way, I quite like him

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  10:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I loved the scene between Greyt and Lyetha. I almost felt sorry for Greyt, not for who he is, but that he as spent so many years pretending to be something else, being so cynical and fake, and thinking that his loving wife was taken in, only to be cut to the quick like that. No one can wound a man like a woman, especially in situations like this.

Ya right there, KEJR! That's women for ya. Some of the greatest leaders have been brought to their knees by a womans words I also felt touched by how Greyt felt at this point....but it was soon removed when I thought about the person he really is

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  11:46:31  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I like the 'small town' feel and the ruler who can simply win over the mobs with well chosen words.

I like how Greyt just wants to be seen as the 'Hero'. This is something that crops up through the novel. It seems he just wants to be adored by the people of the town!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  17:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad you liked it! I was worried, because that scene seems a little tangential.

But no, it is not random. Everything in this book happens for a reason, after all. ;)

But, I realized I never actually explain it explicitly in the book, so I guess you'll just have to wonder (or ask when you finish it, so I don't spoil anything).

quote:
Erik - I notice that throughout the narative of the book you refer to a lot of grays and shades of gray, whether it be in clothing or the Ethereal amongst other things. I wonder if this is a subconscious message about the nature of the characters in the book - that everyone has their own shades of gray (sometimes beneath the surface like the Ethereal) and not everyone is always as they seem.

It's very subtle, but yes, that was my intention. :)

quote:
I also notice that in your dialogue you like to interrupt peoples flow of speech. Is this something you do yourself in life, or something a lot of people do to you?

I've never thought about this. Hmm. Well, I tend to speak in long, complex sentences, and people HAVE to interrupt my flow of speech to get things in edge-wise. And yes, I interrupt people all the (HEY LOOK! A DUCK!) time.

quote:
I liked the little touch when Derst was invisible and Erik described how the dog backed up when it's nose hit something... it brought an amusing image to mind

That was one of my favorite scenes to write in the book. 'Twas a tad longer in first draft, but my editor and I decided it took up too much time/space.

quote:
The ghostfire elemental was fantastic! Is this detailed in any D&D\FR sourcebook?

It's a creature I created myself by taking a fire elemental and adding the ghost template. Pretty simple.

I suppose another way is to add the Necromental template from Libris Mortis, but then you don't get the etherealness ability.

And it COULD be Gylther'yel in elemental form, as KEJR suggests. She is a high level druid, and her wildshape is, indeed, incorporeal. . . makes you wonder if she's some kind of ghost herself.

And cheers for wondering about alterior motives! In this book, no one's exactly what he or she seems. :)

Except, perhaps, Bilgren. ;)

quote:
Speaking of Meris, what exactly is he up to? Obviously like father like son, but we more or less know that Greyt is playing the power and influence game, but Meris? Interesting twist at this stage of the story. I had him figured as a malicious oppourtunist, but I didn't see him having a plan of his own already set in motion.

quote:
I'm also giving Meris a lot of thought. He's coming across quite sinister. In a sick way, I quite like him

Meris is interesting. He is, you're right, mostly reactionary, but things aren't always what they seem.

This is why "Wayfarer" makes a good supplement to the novel -- it's totally from Meris's perspective.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

Ya right there, KEJR! That's women for ya. Some of the greatest leaders have been brought to their knees by a womans words I also felt touched by how Greyt felt at this point....but it was soon removed when I thought about the person he really is

Greyt is a tragic hero, plain and simple. Someone who may have achieved his potential as a true, bright, shining example, but pissed it away with years of resentment and bitterness.

quote:
I like how Greyt just wants to be seen as the 'Hero'. This is something that crops up through the novel. It seems he just wants to be adored by the people of the town!

Exactly! But WHY -- why, if he thinks so little of them (fools, rustics, barbarians, unrefined, etc., etc.)?

And on a final note, before I end this long post:

I wonder who the real villain is in this story. . .

Well, no -- that's not true. I don't wonder.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  21:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods* I like Gylther'yel even more myself, after reading these few chapters. She seems like a real person in how she has some contradictions. If she hates humans so much, what moved her to help Walker (who is apparently 1/4th elf, but that's still human)? She is strangely forgiving of him as well, which only adds to my interest in her.

Bars is another good character. It is rare--not impossible, but rare--to come across paladins and holy warriors who more or less interact with other people socially like, well, normal human beings. Bars is a paladin, and a good one, but that point comes across in his actions rather than his words. Same goes for his chivalry--it's there, but the reader isn't beaten over the head with it.

As for Greyt, hehe. He's still VERY interesting, as always. I get a kick out of how he is kind of a "creepy uncle" character not unlike Dannoway in Promise of the Witch-King (who made the wonderful comment to his niece, "I do not worry about you being in Mariabronne's bed, or anyone else's.") As some others pointed out, there seems to be more to him than just a typical wanton villain who doesn't care what other people think of him (as in the scene with Lyetha).

Oh, and I liked the scene where Greyt wasn't wearing any clothes. Heehee...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  18:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

*nods* I like Gylther'yel even more myself, after reading these few chapters. She seems like a real person in how she has some contradictions. If she hates humans so much, what moved her to help Walker (who is apparently 1/4th elf, but that's still human)? She is strangely forgiving of him as well, which only adds to my interest in her.

1/4 elf is still, technically, human, in game terms. Walker's human like the seven sisters are human (except without the godly powers, you know ).

Glad you like Gylther'yel. I originally envisioned her as an Obi-wan Kenobi-type, but she blossomed into much, much more. Strangely forgiving, eh? Hmm. . . . . . . .

quote:
Bars is another good character. It is rare--not impossible, but rare--to come across paladins and holy warriors who more or less interact with other people socially like, well, normal human beings. Bars is a paladin, and a good one, but that point comes across in his actions rather than his words. Same goes for his chivalry--it's there, but the reader isn't beaten over the head with it.

Yes! Totally what I was going for.

quote:
As for Greyt, hehe. He's still VERY interesting, as always. I get a kick out of how he is kind of a "creepy uncle" character not unlike Dannoway in Promise of the Witch-King (who made the wonderful comment to his niece, "I do not worry about you being in Mariabronne's bed, or anyone else's.")

Someone else mentioned the PotWK, though I didn't hear the name of the character. Now I know who to watch for, when I finally get a chance to read it.

(RAS are, I guess, in kind of the same position on that count. I've got a signed copy of his latest book, and he's got a signed Ghostwalker. We'll see.)

quote:
As some others pointed out, there seems to be more to him than just a typical wanton villain who doesn't care what other people think of him (as in the scene with Lyetha).

I agree. Up until that scene, I was writing him like an older Jaime Lannister, then he got so much more complex overnight (literally). Kinda like what happens in the first hundred pages of Storm of Swords, with just one reverie.

quote:
Oh, and I liked the scene where Greyt wasn't wearing any clothes. Heehee...

Indeed, my lady? He's very handsome, for an older chap.

I had a particular actor in mind when I wrote some of his scenes. . . Gold star to anyone who can guess.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  01:11:07  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I had a particular actor in mind when I wrote some of his scenes. . . Gold star to anyone who can guess.

Are we talking Greyt or Walker here?

I have to stop going for these ESdB challenges, and let someone else have a chance

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  16:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greyt is the one who has the particular actor in my mind. Walker. . . not sure.

Thoughts?

Cheers for Ghostwalker casting!

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  23:00:54  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thoughts?

Greyt - Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan - Every mans hero or Rufus Sewell

Walker - Antonio Banderas /
Arya - Miranda Otto / Clare Danes / Kate Beckinsale (lovely)
Gylther'yel - Tilda Swinton / Frances McDormand
Bars - Ray Winstone (too old?) /
Derst - Nathan Fillion / Brandon Routh
Meris - Christian Bale / Ryan Reynolds

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  23:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thoughts?

Greyt - Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan - Every mans hero or Rufus Sewell

Walker - Antonio Banderas /
Arya - Miranda Otto / Clare Danes / Kate Beckinsale (lovely)
Gylther'yel - Tilda Swinton / Frances McDormand
Bars - Ray Winstone (too old?) /
Derst - Nathan Fillion / Brandon Routh
Meris - Christian Bale / Ryan Reynolds

Well met

Ahem. Remember this is for discussing chapters 8 thru 11. If ye wish to discuss other unrelated aspects of Ghostwalker, feel free to use the general thread for the novel

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  07:13:47  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Well - I finished these chapters today - and actually would have had more time to continue - but its my intention to read just the chapters covered here in chunks - and then comment on them.

Erik - from the previous thread for chapters 4-7 - I mentioned The 'theft' of the amulet. It was funny - as of the reply you wrote - I already knew that it DID show up again - but did not want to include that in my comments. :) However - its not that much of a mention. And yes - she Should try and return it. :)

As for the Elemental encounter - I agree that it seems dis-jointed now - but you have mentioned that 'everything happens for a reason' - So I will wait and see.

I found it interesting when Greyt thought to himself that he knew what was protecting the forest. However - is it Walker's surrogate mother - the ghost druid - or something else.....

Also - I seem to recall (though it would take WAY too long to confirm) that the mention of the prior ring of Greyt's having a similarity to his seal - and the ring Walker wears also being of a similar symbol. Leads me to beleive that Walker Has Greyt's old ring.....

This of course - starts to confuse the issue. I had thought that Lyetha had mentioned losing loved ones previously - and somewhere in the back of my mind I had surmised/speculated that these people were Walker and his father. However - it would not explain Walker seemingly not remembering his mother - unless That is just a by-product of the Ghostwalker status - and since his father is 'around' - remembering him would naturally be easier.

That would be interesting. As I recall also - we learned that Greyt envied Walker - I looked for the mention - but could not find it... Anyway - it made me think at first that maybe Walker had a good voice or something else that a bard would be envious of. Now - I am thinking more that it was Lyetha - Walker's mother(?) and he envied her attention to him (Walker).

Also - the entraped elf mentiones that Walker is protected by a ghostly force - but can be killed - as we see by his close calls - and I speculate that it is his own father who will not talk to him who is protecting him.

As for Lyetha - and her appearance in the close of chapter 11. I suspect that she knows more about Greyt than he knows - and originally became involved with him because of his prior 'hero' status - because she needed someone like that. During the years with him - she became distant - seeing him act less and less heroic, if not eloquent and persuasive - and decided to bed him again to see if recent events have actually changed him. For her own reasons - she does not beleive his sincerity - and states as much to him - wounding him as we see.

I beleive that possibly she will not die. She may just leave, thus causing she and Arya not to speak again. But - I'm still leaning towards her being killed - possibly by Meris - maybe as a way of 'getting to' Greyt.

Oh - and the entraped elf also mentioned his vision of Meris coming to attack Greyt - but also Meris not defeating himself - could be a good way to escape the compulsion of the amulet - let Meris come and kill Greyt - but say that Meris "will not defeat me" - only because he does not try and stop Meris - and then - regains the amulet in some way to end his entrapment.

Lots to think about - and I like it! I am starting to have more time to read now - so things should go faster. It helps when I am more and more interested in the story. :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  16:26:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, those are some awesome speculations. Some of them may be a little off, some may be just dead on.

I won't say which, of course.

I'm glad you're liking it!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  01:02:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I as well greatly enjoyed the scene with the Ghostfire Elemental. Makes me wonder what else you have up your sleeve! (Besides the dagger of course)

What made the scene for me though was the what Arya said after sending Shadowfall away. "You told Shadowfall to run, not me! I have no intention of leaving you behind". A nice reinforcement of her character. I think she would have made a fine Marine!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  17:43:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! The most amazing sequence of chapters, until now! Congrats, Erik! It´s not even the middle of the book, and I´m here wanting that the tale of Walker never end!

Chapter 8 - the scenes of Walker and the ghost of Tarm put me, again, thinking of what is really happening here. Damn, too few pages for too many mysteries. How you tieflings achieve this?

the dialogue between Walker and Gylther´yel was very good, too. Gylther´yel´s phrase "I have decided my student needs a lesson in inspiring terror" put me thinking in many things, because it could mean many things.

The entire scene of Walker, Unddreth, Gylther´yel and the guards was one of the best of the book, until now. The inability of Walker to save the guards, the determination of Unddreth, the fury unleashed by the druid (one of my prefered classes, by the way), all add to make this scene grow before my eyes. The conflict between Walker and his teacher was great! And Unddreth gain a place in my list of "good dwarves that are not dwarves".

The meeting of Greyt and the knights was interesting. I´m thinking how many Greyt was drunken, and how many he was acting. The dialogue of Bars and Derst, as always, help to add more to the scene, and I jump in the chair when Arya give Greyt a little of what he deserves.

Chapter 9 - I could feel the difference in Walker attitude, when he goes to Bilgren. And, with this, I could see that something will go bad. With Arya presence, Walker stay less focused, less overconfident, and more mortal, more capable to fail. It was interesting when he saw all out of place, but don´t connect it with a trap. It was very good to see Walker lose a fight (he is not invencible, after all - and better: we know what happen when a ghostwalker survive a encounter with an enemie, and come back later...).

And better yet to me, was the knights in silver coming to the rescue! It was very good when Bars and Derst give some trouble to Meri´s men and after this flee invisible.

Chapter 10 - the ride in the woods was eerie The elemental ghost enervate me, and Gylther´yel rescue enervate me much more! A good battle scene, by the way. Again, Walker use a risk strategy to win an adversary, but that time he risk too much.

Chapter 11 - Amazing! This entire chapter is amazing! Greyt´s put the strings of his plan in motion, and it´s marvelous / and terrifying the way that he control the mob! Now I see some bardic influence in action! Bars and Derst dialogue was very good, too. And the presence of Amra help to develop better the scene.

The dialogue of Greyt and Meris, the feeling of Greyt when the mob acclaimed him, the whole scene with Lyetha... I´m out of words.

And yes, a woman know how to hurt a man, when she desires... touching, interesting, and intriguing scene.

The only thing that I have to say is thank you, Erik, for this great tale.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  20:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Damn, too few pages for too many mysteries. How you tieflings achieve this?

We're born to it, I guess.

quote:
the dialogue between Walker and Gylther´yel was very good, too. Gylther´yel´s phrase "I have decided my student needs a lesson in inspiring terror" put me thinking in many things, because it could mean many things.

I hadn't thought of Gylther'yel as a master terrorist until just now. And ya know -- she is.

quote:
druid (one of my prefered classes, by the way)

It is indeed a good one! And, as I think Gylther'yel shows, it can be pretty scary, eh?

quote:
The conflict between Walker and his teacher was great!

Their relationship is pretty important too -- much like that of Greyt and Lyetha.

quote:
And Unddreth gain a place in my list of "good dwarves that are not dwarves".

Honorary dwarf, no?

quote:
And better yet to me, was the knights in silver coming to the rescue! It was very good when Bars and Derst give some trouble to Meri´s men and after this flee invisible.

Ah, the invisible knights scene. One of my favorite to write. Considerably longer in draft, but I had to cut it down for length reasons.

quote:
Chapter 10 - the ride in the woods was eerie The elemental ghost enervate me, and Gylther´yel rescue enervate me much more! A good battle scene, by the way. Again, Walker use a risk strategy to win an adversary, but that time he risk too much.

I think you mean "unnerved" -- "enervate" would be to sap away life and strength, like the enervation spell.

quote:
Chapter 11 - Amazing! This entire chapter is amazing!

Glad you liked it! It's one of the "quiet" scenes -- i.e. no action -- but important as hell.

quote:
The dialogue of Greyt and Meris, the feeling of Greyt when the mob acclaimed him, the whole scene with Lyetha... I´m out of words.

And yes, a woman know how to hurt a man, when she desires... touching, interesting, and intriguing scene.

Also one of my favorite scenes to write. A number of people have expessed appreciation over that scene -- and a number of fair ladies appreciation for a clothes-less Dharan Greyt. (To borrow another Order of the Stick joke: "See what that 18 charisma is worth under the hood," eh?)

quote:
The only thing that I have to say is thank you, Erik, for this great tale.

Well, thank you for reading it, and I hope you continue to enjoy!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 13 Sep 2006 23:09:51
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  21:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hadn't thought of Gylther'yel as a master terrorist until just now. And ya know -- she is.

She pass me this feeling from the start. Too much focused and narrow minded. Or, perhaps she´s just acting this way. Who knows?

quote:
It is indeed a good one! And, as I think Gylther'yel shows, it can be pretty scary, eh?

Yes. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away (I´m talking of the begining of the 90's, when I played Mystara), I play with a druid with a strong tie with the death, and the deads (after all, death is part of the eternal cycle). Think of a masculine version of Amra, and substitute the flowers by bones, and you will get an idea of the character...

quote:
Their relationship is pretty important too -- much like that of Greyt and Lyetha.

This is the point of excellence in the book: you put much more things in a "fighters book" that only fights. That is mysterie, tension, and good done relationships that add an special flavor to the tale.

quote:
Honorary dwarf, no?

Yes!

quote:
Ah, the invisible knights scene. One of my favorite to write. Considerably longer in draft, but I had to cut it down for length reasons.

Hmm, good to know this. You can show us the uncuted version of the dialogue???

quote:
I think you mean "unnerved" -- "enervate" would be to sap away life and strength, like the enervation spell.

Thanks. It´s exactly this that I want to say.

quote:
Glad you liked it! It's one of the "quiet" scenes -- i.e. no action -- but important as hell.

I could feel this, when I was reading. The feeling of the chapter jump out of the book and grab me by the neck.

quote:
Also one of my favorite scenes to write. A number of people have expessed appreciation over that scene -- and a number of fair ladies appreciation for a clothes-less Dharan Greyt. (To borrow another Order of the Stick joke: "See what that 18 charisma is worth under the hood," eh?)

To be fair, I want to express my appreciation of the almost clothes-less Lyetha.
And good mention of the Order of the Stick.
"What are you waiting?"
"It´s a touch spell"

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  00:05:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie[i/]Ah, the invisible knights scene. One of my favorite to write. Considerably longer in draft, but I had to cut it down for length reasons.

Hmm, good to know this. You can show us the uncuted version of the dialogue???

Hear, Hear!!

I second that motion! All those in favor? *AYE!!*

Motion carries.

Spill it de Bie

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  15:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.

Well, since it's copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast, I can't really do that.

It might end up recycled though, so you will see it eventually.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  16:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm.

Well, since it's copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast, I can't really do that.

It might end up recycled though, so you will see it eventually.

Cheers

Understand...

Thanks for the attention, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  17:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be fair, I want to express my appreciation of the almost clothes-less Lyetha.

You better believe the most beautiful woman in Quaervarr (counting Arya, Cha ~15, being a strong leader and quite pretty) would have a high charisma. We're talking 20 or so here, and it only gets higher as she ages (she's just entering middle age for a half-elf, I believe).

quote:
And good mention of the Order of the Stick.
"What are you waiting?"
"It´s a touch spell"

"I think I just had an evilgasm."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000