Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Experienced help for recommending FR Novels.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2008 :  23:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Guenhwyvar's gender remains male in all three books, even in the latest Lockwood-covered "The Legend of Drizzt" editions.

Oh pish, we all know Guen is a hermaphroditic astral panther. That makes all the Drizzt/Guenhwyvar romance fanfic that much more interesting, don't you think?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2008 :  01:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

quote:

Guenhwyvar's gender remains male in all three books, even in the latest Lockwood-covered "The Legend of Drizzt" editions.

Oh pish, we all know Guen is a hermaphroditic astral panther. That makes all the Drizzt/Guenhwyvar romance fanfic that much more interesting, don't you think?

That can't be nearly as funny as Sunrise and Sunset, the amazing gender-bending pegasi (pegasuses?) from The Hunter's Blade trilogy and The Orc King.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 May 2008 01:19:19
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  18:01:01  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak
quote:

Well, yeah, but I thought they were trying to fix him/it/her in the newer editions.

Must be all the frog DNA in the Realms (ala Jurassic Park).

So is that what they mean when they call Lloth a Goddess of Chaos?

quote:
Guenhwyvar - Al: AC/DC (draft Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, 4E)

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
That can't be nearly as funny as Sunrise and Sunset, the amazing gender-bending pegasi (pegasuses?) from The Hunter's Blade trilogy and The Orc King.

Indeed. First, the pegs' genders matched their elven riders.

Then, they were both male.

Lastly, the pegs' genders ended up completely reversed from their original set-up, so that they matched the genders of their new riders.

I am reminded of Bruenor's migrating/missing eye . . .

I suppose he could just take it out and move it around at will, like Jarlaxle and his patch!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Joldo
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  15:59:50  Show Profile  Visit Joldo's Homepage Send Joldo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, I'm new to the forum (and the forgotten realms novels). After playing alot of the forgotten realms PC games over the last few years (Baldur's Gate 1+ 2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights) I have become fascinated with the forgotten realms and now want to start reading the novels .

After deciding to start reading the novels I came upon this thread (which has been a great help), and after reading it I bought myself a copy of Spellfire and Azure Bonds. I am very much looking forward to reading them when i get the time but I'm not sure which order to read them in. Should i read one book first as the other has refereances to it? Also I'm not sure whether i should read all 3 books from one series before moving onto the other.

Any advice would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  13:16:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo

Hello, I'm new to the forum (and the forgotten realms novels). After playing alot of the forgotten realms PC games over the last few years (Baldur's Gate 1+ 2, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights) I have become fascinated with the forgotten realms and now want to start reading the novels .

After deciding to start reading the novels I came upon this thread (which has been a great help), and after reading it I bought myself a copy of Spellfire and Azure Bonds. I am very much looking forward to reading them when i get the time but I'm not sure which order to read them in. Should i read one book first as the other has refereances to it? Also I'm not sure whether i should read all 3 books from one series before moving onto the other.

Any advice would be great.

Welcome, Joldo!

Neither of those books has any references to the other.

In general, I think it's better to read all books from a particular series before moving on to the next.

Azure Bonds is a particular fave of mine. I recently reread that one and the rest of the books by the same authors (Wyvern's Spur, Song of the Saurials, Masquerades, Finder's Bane, and Tymora's Luck). Wyvern's Spur and Song of the Saurials are books 2 and 3 of the Finder's Stone Trilogy; Azure Bonds is the first. Masquerades is kind of a stand-alone sequel to the trilogy. Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck are books 1 and 3 of the Lost Gods trilogy. Book 2, Fistandantilus Returns, is a Dragginglance book and only advances the trilogy by introducing a single new character -- and since he's a kender, his backstory isn't all that important.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Joldo
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  00:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Joldo's Homepage Send Joldo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read Azure Bonds and very much enjoyed it , definatly a good book to start with. The next book The Wyvern's Spur should be with me tommorow and I look forward to getting stuck into it.

After finishing The Finder's Stone trilogy I plan to move onto Shandrils Saga (as I already own a copy of spellfire) and after that The Icewind Dale Trilogy (as I want to read about Drizzt
) . Perhaps I will read Masquerades before leaving the The Finder's Stone trilogy. Though i think i may be getting a bit ahead of myself.

Thanks for the reply/advice Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  03:12:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joldo

I have read Azure Bonds and very much enjoyed it , definatly a good book to start with. The next book The Wyvern's Spur should be with me tommorow and I look forward to getting stuck into it.

After finishing The Finder's Stone trilogy I plan to move onto Shandrils Saga (as I already own a copy of spellfire) and after that The Icewind Dale Trilogy (as I want to read about Drizzt
) . Perhaps I will read Masquerades before leaving the The Finder's Stone trilogy. Though i think i may be getting a bit ahead of myself.

Thanks for the reply/advice Wooly.

Well, Masquerades is a sequel to the Finder's Stone trilogy, so I'd hold off on reading it until after you've read Song of the Saurials.

Go to Top of Page

Lorix
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  20:14:41  Show Profile  Visit Lorix's Homepage Send Lorix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello to everyone!!!
I'm a newcomer to the fantas(y)tic World of FORGOTTEN REALMS !!!
For a long time I've been looking for some good 'help' with FR novels, and now (thanks to Google) I've been captured by this fantastic site!

Well, this topic is the PERFECT incarnation of what I was looking for.
I've read many pages of it (not all) and realized that my choice is not so bad: I'm Italian (so excuse me for my not-so-perfect English ), I live in Italy and here arrives just a small part of the HUGE amount of FR books, most of all are Salvatore's and Greenwood's ones.

So, I chose to start with "THE ICEWIND DALE TRILOGY" (whose title in Italy is something like "The Lost Lands Trilogy" ) and I'm in love with it!
I've read just few chapters from "The Crystal Shard" (in Italy "The Ice Lands"...) and that's a good start!!!

A newcomer to the Forgotten Realms

Edited by - Lorix on 08 Sep 2008 20:16:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  22:12:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Lorix!

Don't worry about your English. You're not the only one here whose mother tongue isn't English... And some of us who do have it for a mother tongue still flub it.

Go to Top of Page

Lorix
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  23:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Lorix's Homepage Send Lorix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you

A newcomer to the Forgotten Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  01:57:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lorix

Hello to everyone!!!
I'm a newcomer to the fantas(y)tic World of FORGOTTEN REALMS !!!
For a long time I've been looking for some good 'help' with FR novels, and now (thanks to Google) I've been captured by this fantastic site!

Well, this topic is the PERFECT incarnation of what I was looking for.
I've read many pages of it (not all) and realized that my choice is not so bad: I'm Italian (so excuse me for my not-so-perfect English ), I live in Italy and here arrives just a small part of the HUGE amount of FR books, most of all are Salvatore's and Greenwood's ones.

So, I chose to start with "THE ICEWIND DALE TRILOGY" (whose title in Italy is something like "The Lost Lands Trilogy" ) and I'm in love with it!
I've read just few chapters from "The Crystal Shard" (in Italy "The Ice Lands"...) and that's a good start!!!

Welcome and glad you found us! Feel free to ask anything, someone here(most likely several) will have you an answer!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Calen
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2008 :  01:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Calen's Homepage Send Calen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am an experienced reader in the FR world and am interested in writing in it. However, i have fallen off the wagon so to speak for the last two years or so. Could anyoone recommend any reading material that may help me get up to date with current events on Faerun?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2008 :  20:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you said any reading material, my first recommendation would have to be Grand History of the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2008 :  15:35:54  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may misunderstand you post Calen but did you really not read about the Realms for two years ? (that's what I understand in "i have fallen off the wagon so to speak for the last two years")

I would say that you could come back to the Realms directly by reading about the new era ones, from 1479 DR ! You should prevent the heart attack we all knew about the 100 years hole in the Realms history !

Hoping I'm clear enough... just tell me !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  00:17:35  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New era?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  01:06:36  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I may misunderstand you post Calen but did you really not read about the Realms for two years ? (that's what I understand in "i have fallen off the wagon so to speak for the last two years")

-Right. That's what the saying means. The proverbial wagon keeps on going after you fall off, so there's distance between you and it.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  01:08:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lelorien

New era?

-For the new 4e ruleset, the designers of the Forgotten Realms decided to bump up the timeline by 104 years. In the FRPG/CG, the official date is 1,479 DR, 104 years after the official date of 1,375 DR, from 3e. Along with the advance of the timeline, the setting has been changed in various ways, some radical (Mystra is dead, the Weave vanished, and certain entire landmasses have been 'teleported' elsewhere), and some less so.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

lelorien
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  05:31:45  Show Profile  Visit lelorien's Homepage Send lelorien a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... Great -_-, as long as its not a modernization of the whole setting (gunpowder, etc...) I know Shou powder exists, but its not a big part of book...
Go to Top of Page

Calen
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  20:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Calen's Homepage Send Calen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep it has been about two years since i was a regular reader. I kind of drifted off into other campaign settings. I will definately be picking up a grand history of the realms, but am very interested in the current events such as the hundred year hole. I have been hearing that it is a bit of a power grab from WotC
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  20:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

-Right. That's what the saying means. The proverbial wagon keeps on going after you fall off, so there's distance between you and it.

Thanks a lot Dag'.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  21:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calen

Yep it has been about two years since i was a regular reader. I kind of drifted off into other campaign settings. I will definately be picking up a grand history of the realms, but am very interested in the current events such as the hundred year hole. I have been hearing that it is a bit of a power grab from WotC

You may learn the most of the "why" and the "how" of these events by reading The Plague of spells, abolethic sovereignty, vol.1. It deals with the first years of the spellplague era.
(Got it but not read yet !)

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Jrez56
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  03:30:18  Show Profile  Visit Jrez56's Homepage Send Jrez56 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, new user here.
I am looking to branch off a bit and read some new series within the Forgotten Realms. So far I have read basically the whole Drizzt series, the Cleric Quintet, War of the Spider Queen, The Lady Penitent, and the first three Elminster novels.
I was wondering what some of you would sugest I read next in terms of series. Also, in terms of Erevis Cale, which should be read first, the Sembia Series or the Erevis Cale trilogy?
Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  03:52:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine Cunningham.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  15:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seconded on EC.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  15:20:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jrez56
Also, in terms of Erevis Cale, which should be read first, the Sembia Series or the Erevis Cale trilogy?
Thanks a lot.

Elaine certainly has some good novels. Paul Kemp too.
If you are interested in Erevis Cale, the best way would be to read Halls of Stormweather (very good mix of Sembian short stories) and then Shadow's Witness (which is a deeper introduction to Erevis Cale).
You can also start Erevis Cale Trilogy directly without a problem, but I would recommend the two books before that to maximize the reading experience.
In my personal opinion the Erevis Cale trilogy is the best I have read so far in the Realms.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  15:44:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Seconded on EC.

I always recommend Elaine's stuff to people. Also, if it can be found, Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak's stuff.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  16:24:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll jump on the "Elaine Cunningham recommendation train." Especially those novels that feature my favourite Realms character -- Danilo Thann!

I'll recommend Steven Schend's books too -- Blackstaff and Blackstaff Tower.

And a little apart from a series in and off itself -- Erik Scott de Bie's stuff.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KingLouis
Acolyte

Australia
12 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  11:48:13  Show Profile  Visit KingLouis's Homepage Send KingLouis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, another new member here :D

A big fan of the CRPGs BG1, BG2, TOB and PST - these games started me on my first FR series Avatar. I just finished Icewind Dale Trilogy and about to start the Dark Elf Trilogy :)

Here's a question for the more experienced FRers: Throughout the last couple of months I usually check this bargain book shop for FR books and have picked up bits and pieces of various books. I have parts of the Watercourse series, Wizard series, Last Mythal series, 1 of the Knights Of Myth Drannor duology.

I'm planning on purchasing the remaining books of these series - but I was wondering if I should do that first, or get my fingers in some other FR series first like the popular Songs & Swords, Cities, Finder's Stone, etc. that have been recommended by everyone.

Also should I read War of the Spider Queen after the Drizzt books?

"I guess enough painkillers can make even the worst kind of hurt go away. The thing you need to know is that Mara was innocent, and Jackson was innocent - they didn't know what they were drinking and their last moments together were happy ones. They left the way I first found them - perfect and innocent. They were innocent and they're in heaven now and we'll always be a family. The guilty ones are me and Vic, Vic led but I kept following. I don't think one's worse than the other but we made each other into something worse than our individual selves. I wish I never met him. I see it all now - there's no apologies I can make, no explanations I can give - I was who I was and I can't be that person anymore. I can't let myself..." Shane Vendrell
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  13:33:57  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
War of the Spider Queen doesn't need to be after Drizz books... It's an absolutely different story.
That's a good series to get known some of those good authors that FR have.

I think you should read anything that looks good for you... RAS books, Songs & Shadows, Finder's stone, Erevis Cale Trilogy, gateway to Sembia, The Haunted Lands, Year of the Rogue Dragon, Cities, Wizards, Waterdeep, Last Mythal, any Anthologies, Ed's, War of the Spider queen, Avatar Series... Just choose one of those and read... There isn't a recommend order, it only depends on you.

Good Luck and good reading.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  15:35:40  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KingLouis

Also should I read War of the Spider Queen after the Drizzt books?

I would. "WOTSQ" discusses some characters who had been previously killed off in one of the Drizzt novels, Siege of Darkness, and helps to explain why the drow have seemed so quiet for a long stretch of time within the Drizzt series. It's interesting to see how Salvatore described drow society first, and then to see other authors' spin on it. It's about context, I guess.

BTW, check out the complete Salvatore Realms Chronology in my sig.

I'm a RAS-o-phile, so I'm no good for recommending other authors and works for you, though.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000