Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The various planes of FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone! Well, this is my first topic so pardon if I ask some questions. So far, I have heard of the various planes of existence but I am confused by the terms such as ethereal, astral, lower and etc. What are the differences and similarities as well as traits of these planes?
Also, concerning the plane of shadow, is it a demi-plane or a transitional plane? Why is it so special? For I heard the Shadovar used it as a way to move around places quickly akin to teleportation, is it true?
Plus, what is the difference between the Shadow Fringe and Shadow Deep from The Plane of Shadow?
For I am quite confused with all these things, please do enlighten me and my thanks go to all who answer the above mentioned questions.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Plane of Shadow is a dimly lit dimension that is both coterminous to and coexistent with the Material Plane. It overlaps the Material Plane much as the Ethereal Plane does, so a planar traveler can use the Plane of Shadow to cover great distances quickly(yes, the Shades do use it as some kind of highway to travel great distances).Also it is coterminous to other planes. With the right spell, a character can use the Plane of Shadow to visit other realities.

The Plane of Shadow is a world of black and white; color itself has been bleached from the environment. It is otherwise appears similar to the Material Plane. Despite the lack of light sources, various plants, animals, and humanoids call the Plane of Shadow home.

The Plane of Shadow is magically morphic, and parts continually flow onto other planes. As a result, creating a precise map of the plane is next to impossible, despite the presence of landmarks.

Still, this particular plane has some interesting traits, and one of the traits is enhanced casting of shadow spells, better still if one is playing with powerful shadow spells.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 14 Jul 2005 12:12:36
Go to Top of Page

Rivalen
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Rivalen's Homepage Send Rivalen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Shadovar
Still, this particular plane has some interesting traits, and one of the traits is enhanced casting of shadow spells, better still if one is playing with powerful shadow spells.

Yeah, take a look at this: Shadow conjuration and shadow evocation spells are 30% as powerful as the conjurations and evocations they mimic (as opposed to 20%). Greater shadow conjuration and greater shadow evocation are 70% as powerful (not 60%), and a shades spell conjures at 90% of the power of the original (not 80%).

Also, spells that use or generate light or fire may fizzle when cast on the Plane of Shadow. A spellcaster attempting a spell with the light or fire descriptor must succeed on a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the level of the spell). Spells that produce light are less effective in general, because all light sources have their ranges halved on the Plane of Shadow.

Despite the dark nature of the Plane of Shadow, spells that produce, use, or manipulate darkness are unaffected by the plane.

Fight to win, but donlt fight too long or for glorious tales.

Edited by - Rivalen on 14 Jul 2005 12:16:11
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks to you two for replying, point taken note.

By the way, besides those unanswered questions I had listed in this topic header, I would like to know more about the plane of Shadow such as its traits, movement and combat in the plane of shadow, the denizens of this plane and any particular features about this plane that is worth noting. Also, what's shadow walk?
Thanks.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.

Edited by - Sir Vengeance on 14 Jul 2005 12:21:07
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:27:37  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

By the way, besides those unanswered questions I had listed in this topic header, I would like to know more about the plane of Shadow such as its traits, movement and combat in the plane of shadow, the denizens of this plane and any particular features about this plane that is worth noting. Also, what's shadow walk?
Thanks.

What's shadow walk? Simple, One and any creature one touch are transported along a coiling path of shadowstuff to the edge of the Material Plane where it borders the Plane of Shadow. The effect is largely illusory, but the path is quasi-real. One can take more than one creature along with you (subject to one level limit), but all must be touching each other or what happens? Lost the way.

Shadow walk can also be used to travel to other planes that border on the Plane of Shadow, but this usage requires the transit of the Plane of Shadow to arrive at a border with another plane of reality. The transit of the Plane of Shadow requires 1d4 hours.

In the region of shadow, one move at a rate of 50 miles per hour, moving normally on the borders of the Plane of Shadow but much more rapidly relative to the Material Plane. One can use this spell to travel rapidly by stepping onto the Plane of Shadow, moving the desired distance, and then stepping back onto the Material Plane.

Because of the blurring of reality between the Plane of Shadow and the Material Plane, a person cannot make out details of the terrain or areas he/she pass over during transit, nor can the person predict perfectly where the travel will end. It is virtually impossible to judge distances accurately, making the spell virtually useless for scouting or spying. Furthermore, when the spell effect ends, the person are shunted 1d10x100 feet in a random horizontal direction from your desired endpoint. If this would place a person within a solid object, he/she will be shunted 1d10x1,000 feet in the same direction.

But beware not to get lost in the plane of shadow.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello everyone! Well, this is my first topic so pardon if I ask some questions. So far, I have heard of the various planes of existence but I am confused by the terms such as ethereal, astral, lower and etc. What are the differences and similarities as well as traits of these planes?
Also, concerning the plane of shadow, is it a demi-plane or a transitional plane? Why is it so special? For I heard the Shadovar used it as a way to move around places quickly akin to teleportation, is it true?
Plus, what is the difference between the Shadow Fringe and Shadow Deep from The Plane of Shadow?
For I am quite confused with all these things, please do enlighten me and my thanks go to all who answer the above mentioned questions.

Alright, you asked whats the difference between the various planes, right?

Astral Plane
The Astral Plane is the plane of thought, memory, and psychic energy; it is where gods go when they die or are forgotten (or, most likely, both). It is a barren place with only rare bits of solid matter; some creatures, such as the tyrannous githyanki, use the petrified corpses of dead gods as floating fortresses. The Astral Plane is unique in that it is infinitesimal instead of infinite; there is no space or time here, though both catch up with you when you leave. The souls of the newly dead from the Prime Material Plane pass through here on their way to the afterlife or Outer Planes.

The most common feature of the Astral Plane is the silver cords of travellers. These cords are the lifelines that keep travellers of the plane from becoming lost, stretching all the way back to the traveller's point of origin

Ethereal Plane
The Ethereal is often likened to an ocean, but rather than water it is a sea of boundless possibility. It consists of two parts: the Border Ethereal which connect to the Inner and Prime Material planes, and the Deep Ethereal plane which acts as the incubator to many potential demiplanes and other proto-magical realms. From a Border Ethereal plane a traveler can see a misty grey-scale version of the plane from which they are traveling; however, each plane is only connected to its own Border Ethereal, which means inter-planar travel necessitates entering the Deep Ethereal and then exiting into the destination plane's own Border Etheral plane.Many demiplanes can be found in the Deep Ethereal plane; most demiplanes are born here, and many fade back into nothingness here.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Rivalen
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:37:17  Show Profile  Visit Rivalen's Homepage Send Rivalen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Demiplanes? heard that they are minor planes, most of which are artificial. Demiplanes are commonly created by demigods and extremely powerful wizards and psionists. Naturally-occurring demiplanes are rare; most such demiplanes are actually fragments of other planes that have been somehow split apart from their parent plane. Demiplanes are often constructed to resemble the Material Plane, though a few — mostly those created by non-humans — are quite alien.

Heard of the demi-plane of dread?

Go to Top of Page

Tylas
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Tylas's Homepage Send Tylas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, heard that the demi-plane of Shadow was renamed as Plane of Shadow in the Third Edition Manual of the Planes, and even the names of the various planes were renamed like Prime Material Plane was shortened to the Material Plane. Well, treat the shadow plane as a plane of shadow than a demi-plane, for now.
Go to Top of Page

Rivalen
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:46:58  Show Profile  Visit Rivalen's Homepage Send Rivalen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks.

Traits of the Plane of Shadow are listed here, add to what I had posted earlier:
Normal Gravity.

1)Normal Time.

2)Infinite Size.

3)Magically Morphic: Spells such as shadow conjuration and shadow evocation modify the base material of the Plane of Shadow. The utility and power of these spells within the Plane of Shadow make them particularly useful for explorers and natives alike.

4)No Elemental or Energy Traits: Some small regions on the Plane of Shadow (called Darklands; see below) have the minor negative-dominant trait, however.

5)Mildly Neutral-Aligned.

The plane of Shadow is in many ways the dark duplicate of the Material Plane. Much is similar, but still there are significant differences to be noted.

Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:51:40  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TymoraChosen

quote:

Thanks.

What's shadow walk? Simple, One and any creature one touch are transported along a coiling path of shadowstuff to the edge of the Material Plane where it borders the Plane of Shadow. The effect is largely illusory, but the path is quasi-real. One can take more than one creature along with you (subject to one level limit), but all must be touching each other or what happens? Lost the way.

Shadow walk can also be used to travel to other planes that border on the Plane of Shadow, but this usage requires the transit of the Plane of Shadow to arrive at a border with another plane of reality. The transit of the Plane of Shadow requires 1d4 hours.

In the region of shadow, one move at a rate of 50 miles per hour, moving normally on the borders of the Plane of Shadow but much more rapidly relative to the Material Plane. One can use this spell to travel rapidly by stepping onto the Plane of Shadow, moving the desired distance, and then stepping back onto the Material Plane.

Because of the blurring of reality between the Plane of Shadow and the Material Plane, a person cannot make out details of the terrain or areas he/she pass over during transit, nor can the person predict perfectly where the travel will end. It is virtually impossible to judge distances accurately, making the spell virtually useless for scouting or spying. Furthermore, when the spell effect ends, the person are shunted 1d10x100 feet in a random horizontal direction from your desired endpoint. If this would place a person within a solid object, he/she will be shunted 1d10x1,000 feet in the same direction.

But beware not to get lost in the plane of shadow.

Still, be highly aware of Shadow Quakes in the Plane of Shadow as it can break the effect of Shadow Walk spells.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

FreezeChaser
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  12:54:40  Show Profile  Visit FreezeChaser's Homepage Send FreezeChaser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by RedStrike

Still, be highly aware of Shadow Quakes in the Plane of Shadow as it can break the effect of Shadow Walk spells.

Why is it so that such quakes can affect shadow walk spells?
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FreezeChaser

quote:

Why is it so that such quakes can affect shadow walk spells?

Well, allow me to answer the question, take note that the Plane of Shadow is a morphic landscape, but in general it moves slowly. Over the course of a week the landscape may alter sufficiently to be unrecognizable, although someone continually observing the plane wouldn't see it actually moving. But the Plane of Shadow do have earthquakes that can prove deadly to the shadow traveler. Shadow quakes tend to be dramatic but localized, having the same effect as an earthquake spell within a 10o-foot radius. Yes, its effect can break the shadow walk spells effects, unless whoever is shadowwalking can maintain hold of the shadow walk spell well enough, then too bad.

Go to Top of Page

FreezeChaser
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:02:53  Show Profile  Visit FreezeChaser's Homepage Send FreezeChaser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, its effect can break the shadow walk spells effects, unless whoever is shadowwalking can maintain hold of the shadow walk spell well enough, then too bad.

How to get out of the plane of shadow if one is stranded by a shadow quake in the plane of shadow while shadow walking?
Go to Top of Page

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:05:13  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, its effect can break the shadow walk spells effects, unless whoever is shadowwalking can maintain hold of the shadow walk spell well enough, then too bad.

How to get out of the plane of shadow if one is stranded by a shadow quake in the plane of shadow while shadow walking?

Ask the nearby shadow creatures for directions or maybe ask for help from the local Shadovar of Shade Enclave if they are around.

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
Go to Top of Page

FreezeChaser
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:08:44  Show Profile  Visit FreezeChaser's Homepage Send FreezeChaser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ask the nearby shadow creatures for directions or maybe ask for help from the local Shadovar of Shade Enclave if they are around.

Nice jest, but Shade Enclave had long left the shadow plane and the shadow creatures will likely make a snack out of a lost traveler in the plane of shadow unless you possess the Shadovar magic and weapons to fight off the inhabitants of the Plane of Shadow.
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rivalen

Demiplanes? heard that they are minor planes, most of which are artificial. Demiplanes are commonly created by demigods and extremely powerful wizards and psionists. Naturally-occurring demiplanes are rare; most such demiplanes are actually fragments of other planes that have been somehow split apart from their parent plane. Demiplanes are often constructed to resemble the Material Plane, though a few — mostly those created by non-humans — are quite alien.

Heard of the demi-plane of dread?

Yes, I heard of the demi-plane of dread from the Ravenloft's Vampire of the Mists novel, but then a interesting question struck me.
If the plane of shadow was an artificial plane, then who created it? Lord Shadow himself?

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I heard of the demi-plane of dread from the Ravenloft's Vampire of the Mists novel, but then a interesting question struck me.
If the plane of shadow was an artificial plane, then who created it? Lord Shadow himself?

No, Lord Shadow discovered the plane of shadow and he did not created it. But there are many rumors about the creation of the shadow plane anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Perhaps if one is a competent shadowmage, try shadow walking again or try some other alternative way of getting out say by portal spells.

Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:27:40  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who knows the Plane of Shadow might be created by Shar herself? After all, her Palace of Loss is located in the Plane of Shadow. Unless someone tells me that the Palace of Loss was not created by Shar herself or she took over some ruined existing fortress for herself, I would find it disturbing to know.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:30:05  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who knows the Plane of Shadow might be created by Shar herself? After all, her Palace of Loss is located in the Plane of Shadow. Unless someone tells me that the Palace of Loss was not created by Shar herself or she took over some ruined existing fortress for herself, I would find it disturbing to know.

Actually, there was once a fortress in the plane of shadow but somehow ruined and never found again.
Go to Top of Page

Rivalen
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Rivalen's Homepage Send Rivalen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

quote:

Actually, there was once a fortress in the plane of shadow but somehow ruined and never found again.

What is the fortress name? Perhaps Shar could had occupied it for own use. I bet that neither the Shadovar nor Lord Shadow know of this ruined fortress existing in the plane of Shadow. Say, ask Shar about it.

Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:36:42  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Rivalen

What is the fortress name? Perhaps Shar could had occupied it for own use. I bet that neither the Shadovar nor Lord Shadow know of this ruined fortress existing in the plane of Shadow. Say, ask Shar about it.

Maybe someone should host a session called "Ask the deities of FR" and then maybe Shar would be inclined to say something about her Palace of Loss.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For there had been many rumors and speculation about the plane of shadow, some rumors say it had once been a mere demi-plane that had seen colors and light and there was indeed a fortress existing in the demi-plane itself. But somehow through some events, the demi-plane lost light and colors and became a darkened plane of black and gray, forming what is known as the plane of shadow.

Edited by - Shadovar on 14 Jul 2005 13:43:30
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:46:37  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This topic is getting more interesting! Thank you to all who had replied to this topic. Still...where is this "fortress" located in which region of the plane of shadow?

Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  13:50:16  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This topic is getting more interesting! Thank you to all who had replied to this topic. Still...where is this "fortress" located in which region of the plane of shadow?

Rumored to be in the darkest and deepest regions of the Plane of Shadow, it can be true or not true that the fortress is located there but who knows one might discover Shar's Palace of Loss if one is her faithful.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:01:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2e this is how the planes were set up.

The Elemental planes are the planes of life, yes this includes the negative energy plane because it is still needed for "life". There's the four planes from our greek myths, earth, air, fire, and water. Negative and postive energy are also part of those. Postive energy helps makes souls while negative energy helps make undead. Then there are the para and quasi elemental planes that are a combination of all six of those.

The Ethereal is the plane that conntected the elemental planes to the Prime.

The other planes that you might have heard of are where the deities live and where souls go when they die. These are the planes of demons, devils, celestials, etc. These planes could be considered a wheel/ring and each setting used the same planes so everything was connected together.

The Astral connected to these other planes to the Prime.

Shadow was a demiplane in the Ethereal, as were many others like Ravenloft.

Now in FR's new planes, which is now a tree, it's like this:

The quasi and para elementals are now part of the six main ones, earth, air, fire, water, positive, and negative.

The ethereal, shadow, and astral all connect to every plane instead of how it was in 2e. Some of the planes of the deities from 2e don't exist and the realms of the deities from the old planes are now planes themselves. Now in the new planes the Abyss of Greyhawk is not the Abyss of FR. Plus the deities of Greyhawk are not the deities of FR, like they were in 2e. I.E Corellon in the old planes was the same in both settings, now they are different beings.

Ravenloft is tricky now because it's published by a 3rd party.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Jul 2005 16:04:55
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  17:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have anybody any knowledge about any tome where it is possible to get a short and precise description of all the planes. Material, elemental, etheral and so on...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You want the Player's Guide to Faerūn for all the planes of the Forgotten Realms cosmology.

For all the planes of the Greyhawk cosmology, including those that overlap with the Realms like the Astral & the Ethereal, you can look in the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Manual of the Planes.

Also the SRD of the planes is available for free download at this link here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

or here: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  19:59:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape material is better for both. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  01:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, I currently lack the neccessary materials about the various planes but can someone tell me about combat on the plane of shadow? Will fighting on the plane of shadow be hindered by the plane's environment? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  02:57:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ravenloft is tricky now because it's published by a 3rd party.
It really all depends on *how* you read the 3e material. It can be interpreted as though the Demiplane of Dread still exists in the D&D Ethereal Plane as a standard demiplane. But at the same time, with the mention of the primordial realm where Death resides, we can also assume that the Demiplane of Dread is actually its own universe -- known referred to simply, as Ravenloft.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000