Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Good FR name for a Dog
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  05:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings. Im getting a new dog soon and I would like to name it after someone in the FR but I cant think of any good names for a dog. It has to be somewhat of a short name, easy to pronounce, and sound like a good dog name. The only one I could think of was Volo. Anyone have any ideas? My thanks

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  06:23:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you are really nasty you could name it Kezef, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  08:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um...do you know if you're gonna get a female or a male dog? Cause if it's a girl, how about Storm or Laeral?

Boy: How about Wyn (from Song and Swords series, I can't remember the name right now.... Elfsong?) or Regis (after the Halfling in the Drizzt series).

Not too sure about any other names, as it's really late where I'm at and I'm not remembering much. lol!

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  11:09:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Forsaken House, the wood elf ranger has a wolf named Sheeril.

I'm not really recalling any other canine names.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  14:47:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In Forsaken House, the wood elf ranger has a wolf named Sheeril.

I'm not really recalling any other canine names.

Skippy
Scuttle
Grog

They're all dog names from the Port of Raven's Bluff supplement.

We have Seth and Armas - the names of blink dogs - from the City of Raven's Bluff accessory.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  14:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skippy, at least, sounds like RPGA 'Amber Lynn Thoden'-style cloth-earedness.

Spellfire shows us how pets -- sometimes, anyway -- are named. They have have an informal nickname (such as the kitten name Snuggleguts), a proper name which is in the same form as other Faerūnian names but generally shorter, and a truename.

Edited by - Faraer on 11 Jul 2005 14:58:07
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  15:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're going to go with a kinda ... er ... chubby dog, you could name him Mirt ...

What about naming him after one of the FR deities? If the dog is a golden retriever, or similar breed, you could name him Tyr. If he's going to be a watchdog, you could name him Helm. Torm would also be a good name, since Torm is the god of loyalty. Of course, those are all names for a boy dog ...

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  15:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a dog in one of the Realms of Valor named King. Course he wasn't really a dog, but then that was kinda the whole point...
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  18:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my players loves to name his pets after major figures in the realms. Such as his cat Elminster, or his dog Caladnei. It leads to interesting conversations in the taverns of Arabel,

<laughter> "...and then..and then...Caladnei proceded to shred all of the bedclothes and pissed on my pillow!" <laughter> "I tell you. You've never seen a <female dog> so riled up. Well I had ta take my belt to her at that point...." <laughter>

OR

"...so that didn't work. I'm still trying to find a way to keep Elminster from taking a dump in my vegitable garden..."

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  20:03:07  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my wife and I recently acquired an ex-show Pomerian who came down with a genetic skin disorder that makes him lose his fur in patches (which thankfully reverses when neutered). Anyway, he is also a fiend for any turkey or chicken he eats. Since he has that evil streak and is losing his fur, we named him Szass Tam, as we figured it fit perfectly. Our bengal cat we are getting will be named Laeral, and our next Pom is to be Manshoon or Triel.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  20:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked Cyric as the name of Matteo's horse in Magehound, I always thought it would make a cool pet name as well.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  22:12:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My minotaur named his horses after various ales and beers.

I also had a half-elf fighter-mage who named his horse "Chaser", a slight variation on Nchaser, the spellcaster.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  00:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you can go wrong with your original thought of Volo.

"What is that dreadful racket, dear?"
*sigh* "It's just Volo, he's at it again."

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2005 :  07:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, if you are really nasty you could name it Kezef, lol.

I was thinking that actually but it doesnt sound much like a dog name

quote:
Originally posted by Sadonayerah Odrydin

Um...do you know if you're gonna get a female or a male dog? Cause if it's a girl, how about Storm or Laeral?

Boy: How about Wyn (from Song and Swords series, I can't remember the name right now.... Elfsong?) or Regis (after the Halfling in the Drizzt series).

Not too sure about any other names, as it's really late where I'm at and I'm not remembering much. lol!

Oops forgot to say that. Itll be a male

quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

What about naming him after one of the FR deities? If the dog is a golden retriever, or similar breed, you could name him Tyr. If he's going to be a watchdog, you could name him Helm. Torm would also be a good name, since Torm is the god of loyalty. Of course, those are all names for a boy dog ...

I was thinking about that as well, but couldnt find one that sounded like a good dogs name

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I don't think you can go wrong with your original thought of Volo.

"What is that dreadful racket, dear?"
*sigh* "It's just Volo, he's at it again."

Haha, aye I agree. But Id still like to get more options. If anyone else has any ideas, please scribble them down in this scroll

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about adopting the name Cantus from the Moonshae books. It is a good strong name for a dog...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  17:08:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

How about adopting the name Cantus from the Moonshae books. It is a good strong name for a dog...

Ah, Cantus the moorhound, who, as I recall, became the leader of the Pack (*cue motorcycle revving noises*). Good choice!

Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  18:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES YES.... Leader of the meanest pack of dogs in the realms... That dog was as cool as any of the other characters of the books... One of my absolute favorits... HAIL CANTUS.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000