Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The various planes of FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sir Vengeance Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 12:04:57
Hello everyone! Well, this is my first topic so pardon if I ask some questions. So far, I have heard of the various planes of existence but I am confused by the terms such as ethereal, astral, lower and etc. What are the differences and similarities as well as traits of these planes?
Also, concerning the plane of shadow, is it a demi-plane or a transitional plane? Why is it so special? For I heard the Shadovar used it as a way to move around places quickly akin to teleportation, is it true?
Plus, what is the difference between the Shadow Fringe and Shadow Deep from The Plane of Shadow?
For I am quite confused with all these things, please do enlighten me and my thanks go to all who answer the above mentioned questions.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shadovar Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 07:14:49
quote:
Originally posted by FreezeChaser

The plane of shadow seems to be an interesting topic to discuss, then I would like to know more about movement on the shadow plane and accessing the shadow plane, replies to my query here is appreciated.

Movement is as normal on the Plane of Shadow, but travelers can cover great distances on the corresponding Material Plane by stepping across the Plane of Shadow. Those who know the way can access other planes from the Plane of Shadow. Thrill-seekers can simply wander through the Plane of Shadow, looking for adventure. Most Material Plane creatures on the Plane of Shadow use the shadow walk spell. With this spell, the caster moves into the Plane of Shadow, moves in a particular direction for a certain amount of time, and then steps back into the Material Plane. Cardinal directions (north, south, east, and west) are the same on the Plane of Shadow and the Material Plane, but distances are deceptive. Travelers simply move faster on the Plane of Shadow than on the Material Plane.
Once the travler using shadow walk reaches the desired location, the second part of the spell activates. This opens a portal back onto the Material Plane, again with a shadowy road leading there. This road is illusory, but the portal at the end is real. The traveler emerges among the nearest shadows to the destination. By studying the surroundings on the Plane of Shadow before emerging, a traveler may have some idea of where she is going to appear( but only a fair idea of where one will appear). When moving through the Plane of Shadow, travelers see shadowy landscapes that are similar to, though not exactly alike, the corresponding terrain on the Material Plane. Rivers may be changed or absent, and castles present, ruined, or altered entirely. But the basic terrain type (marsh, hills, mountains) remains the same. Shadow travelers may attempt to seek out a portal to an alternate Material Plane or an Outer Plane. If seeking an alternate Material Plane, the traveler forces himself/herself out of the areas that correspond to the original Material Plane. The terrain grows extreme: Trees are more massive than anything on the Material Plane, mountains become clifflike barriers, and rivers are raging torrents. It takes 1d4 hours of constant travel to reach the spot on the alternate Material Plane that corresponds to the departure point on the original Material Plane. At this point, the traveler can open a new portal and enter the alternate Material Plane.
But whenever opening the portal at either end with a shadow walk spell, the traveler creates a weak spot between the Material Plane and the Plane of Shadow(just take care to watch your back for somebody with the wrong ideas while doing this). The weak spot lasts a short while, individuals lost or otherwise stranded on the Plane of Shadow must locate such a weak spot in the shadowy fabric of the plane, happen across a permanent portal or natural vortex, or find a traveler willing to bring them back to the Material Plane
TymoraChosen Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 07:01:39
quote:

The plane of shadow seems to be an interesting topic to discuss, then I would like to know more about movement on the shadow plane and accessing the shadow plane, replies to my query here is appreciated.

Travelers typically access the Plane of Shadow with spells or portals. The most common way to enter the Plane of Shadow is to use the shadow walk spell for fast travel from one point to another on the Material Plane. The spell moves its targets up to 50 miles per hour on the Plane of Shadow, regardless of one's normal speed. Such travel happens entirely on the Plane of Shadow, so travelers don't see much of the intervening terrain on the Material Plane. Ending the spell returns the travelers to the Material Plane, again in a shadowy location if possible. There are also vortices between the Plane of Shadow and the Material Plane that function randomly and have variable destinations. These intermittent portals to the Plane of Shadow are usually Medium-size and the frequency of these portals is unknown, for many may appear, last for a few days, then fade without anyone noticing, much less using, the portal. Like any vortex, spells and unattended objects (such your clothes) can pass from one plane to another. It is as if the Plane of Shadow itself is boiling, and the bubbles rise and burst on its borders with the Material Plane. These random vortices only appear in areas of shade or darkness on the Material Plane. If they appear within a solid object, no transfer between the planes is possible. But vortices that reach open space on the Material Plane are useful for Plane of Shadow natives who want to infest the Material Plane. The shadow walk spell is in many ways a creation of such natural vortices, one at the beginning of the journey and one near the end. Larger vortices exist, though they are rare. A particularly massive vortex could swallow an entire castle or city, transplanting it to the Plane of Shadow permanently(maybe Telamont did this to bring his city to the shadow plane the second time). Visitors on the Plane of Shadow who look back through a vortex onto the Material Plane see the world with black and white reversed (like a photographic negative). Because vortices open onto dark regions of the Material Plane, they are obvious on the Plane of Shadow because the darkness of the Material plane looks bright in comparison to the Plane of Shadow. The Plane of Shadow does not connect to the Ethereal Plane. Spells and spell-like abilities that use or access the Ethereal Plane do not function in the Plane of Shadow. The Plane of Shadow is coexistent with the Astral Plane, so various spells and portals make it possible to move between the two planes. Depending on the cosmology, the Plane of Shadow might lead to alternate Material Planes and other planes of existence. This is a perilous way to travel, because the way to other planes plunges through parts of the Plane of Shadow that are not coexistent with any known plane and home to a variety of fell monsters(hope don't plunge into the wrong plane).

FreezeChaser Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 06:41:06
TymoraChosen Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 06:34:09
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance

So if the plane of shadow has a highly morphic nature, surely there would be something like mirages in the dark plane, is there?

Yes, there are mirages in the plane of shadow but you may not like it and worse still, confuse you when you are fighting with opponents on the plane of shadow.

Call it dark mirages,it is simply a warped reflection of the Material Plane. A traveler who enters the Plane of Shadow from anywhere say example a city on the material plane may find herself in a dark, abandoned version of that city. The parallels are not exact, he/she may be on a different street, the city built in a different style, or lie in ruins. Other dark mirages are equally troubling, such as a huge dark castle where none exists on the Material Plane. Most disturbing are the shadowy echoes of people the traveler knows and is familiar with, shadow creatures with the twisted but still recognizable features of loved ones. These shadow duplicates have no special abilities, but what you see is still disturbing and shocking anyway. So be of strong mind and will if one is to survive on that plane. Such dark mirages occur because the Plane of Shadow is so close to the Material Plane and the echo of an alternate Material Plane can also bleed through onto the Plane of Shadow, making the dark mirages more disturbing and shocking. Otherwise, it is as good as stepping into an haunted house or a house of mirrors where one see distorted things and scare oneself.
Sir Vengeance Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 06:24:12
So if the plane of shadow has a highly morphic nature, surely there would be something like mirages in the dark plane, is there?
Shadovar Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 06:18:14
quote:
Originally posted by Tylas

Can I ask are there any more features about the Plane of Shadow, I mean such as the environmental features?

Well, the Plane of Shadow is no more or less dangerous than the Material Plane. Certain regions are perilous, and the natives are hostile, but the plane is not inherently damaging to most who travel it. Unlike on the Astral Plane and the Ethereal Plane, there is sufficient food (though it's often dark in color and dripping black fluid) and water(it's ichorous and thick). The air on the plane is normal, and a native of the Material Plane can survive years here without ill effect—once he gets used to the darkness and the ever-present slight chill(like the Shadovar). But over decades, the Plane of Shadow is toxic to nonnatives. Creatures from elsewhere who spend most of their lives on the Plane of Shadow develop new abilities and vulnerabilities to match their adopted home. Abilities seems to be unpredictable from creature to creature and location to location on the Plane of Shadow. Vision on the Plane of Shadow is like vision on a moonless night on the Material Plane. Most of the terrain is dark, interrupted only by the occasional pale beacon of a portal or a traveler's campfire. Darkvision is unaffected by the plane, but every torch, lantern, and light-emitting spell has its radius of illumination halved. Bright lights tend to attract other travelers and natives from the Plane of Shadow, so the likelihood of encounters is doubled for a group of travelers bearing a light source. Travelers from the Material Plane find the Plane of Shadow to be cool, but not cold. The Plane of Shadow mutes the heat from normal fires slightly but an ordinary campfire somehow seems to provide less warmth than on the Material Plane.

Tylas Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 06:12:52
Can I ask are there any more features about the Plane of Shadow, I mean such as the environmental features?
Shadovar Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 05:58:53
quote:

Excuse me, I currently lack the neccessary materials about the various planes but can someone tell me about combat on the plane of shadow? Will fighting on the plane of shadow be hindered by the plane's environment? Thanks.

For fighting in the shadow plane, given the limitations of vision and magic, combat on the Plane of Shadow is otherwise normal. Shadow combatants fight in a universe that is eternally in night. While the ground on the plane continually shifts due to the plane of Shadow's morphic nature, such slow changes don't affect terrain during a battle. But most importantly is to know the terrain of the shadow plane well before fighting.
The Sage Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 02:57:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ravenloft is tricky now because it's published by a 3rd party.
It really all depends on *how* you read the 3e material. It can be interpreted as though the Demiplane of Dread still exists in the D&D Ethereal Plane as a standard demiplane. But at the same time, with the mention of the primordial realm where Death resides, we can also assume that the Demiplane of Dread is actually its own universe -- known referred to simply, as Ravenloft.
Sir Vengeance Posted - 15 Jul 2005 : 01:24:37
Excuse me, I currently lack the neccessary materials about the various planes but can someone tell me about combat on the plane of shadow? Will fighting on the plane of shadow be hindered by the plane's environment? Thanks.
Kuje Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 19:59:21
Planescape material is better for both. :)
Gray Richardson Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 19:25:13
You want the Player's Guide to Faerûn for all the planes of the Forgotten Realms cosmology.

For all the planes of the Greyhawk cosmology, including those that overlap with the Realms like the Astral & the Ethereal, you can look in the Dungeon Master's Guide or the Manual of the Planes.

Also the SRD of the planes is available for free download at this link here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

or here: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html
Faramicos Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 17:06:40
Have anybody any knowledge about any tome where it is possible to get a short and precise description of all the planes. Material, elemental, etheral and so on...
Kuje Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 16:01:41
In 2e this is how the planes were set up.

The Elemental planes are the planes of life, yes this includes the negative energy plane because it is still needed for "life". There's the four planes from our greek myths, earth, air, fire, and water. Negative and postive energy are also part of those. Postive energy helps makes souls while negative energy helps make undead. Then there are the para and quasi elemental planes that are a combination of all six of those.

The Ethereal is the plane that conntected the elemental planes to the Prime.

The other planes that you might have heard of are where the deities live and where souls go when they die. These are the planes of demons, devils, celestials, etc. These planes could be considered a wheel/ring and each setting used the same planes so everything was connected together.

The Astral connected to these other planes to the Prime.

Shadow was a demiplane in the Ethereal, as were many others like Ravenloft.

Now in FR's new planes, which is now a tree, it's like this:

The quasi and para elementals are now part of the six main ones, earth, air, fire, water, positive, and negative.

The ethereal, shadow, and astral all connect to every plane instead of how it was in 2e. Some of the planes of the deities from 2e don't exist and the realms of the deities from the old planes are now planes themselves. Now in the new planes the Abyss of Greyhawk is not the Abyss of FR. Plus the deities of Greyhawk are not the deities of FR, like they were in 2e. I.E Corellon in the old planes was the same in both settings, now they are different beings.

Ravenloft is tricky now because it's published by a 3rd party.
silvermage Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:50:16
quote:

This topic is getting more interesting! Thank you to all who had replied to this topic. Still...where is this "fortress" located in which region of the plane of shadow?

Rumored to be in the darkest and deepest regions of the Plane of Shadow, it can be true or not true that the fortress is located there but who knows one might discover Shar's Palace of Loss if one is her faithful.
Sir Vengeance Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:46:37
This topic is getting more interesting! Thank you to all who had replied to this topic. Still...where is this "fortress" located in which region of the plane of shadow?
Shadovar Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:42:49
For there had been many rumors and speculation about the plane of shadow, some rumors say it had once been a mere demi-plane that had seen colors and light and there was indeed a fortress existing in the demi-plane itself. But somehow through some events, the demi-plane lost light and colors and became a darkened plane of black and gray, forming what is known as the plane of shadow.
silvermage Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:36:42
quote:

Originally posted by Rivalen

What is the fortress name? Perhaps Shar could had occupied it for own use. I bet that neither the Shadovar nor Lord Shadow know of this ruined fortress existing in the plane of Shadow. Say, ask Shar about it.

Maybe someone should host a session called "Ask the deities of FR" and then maybe Shar would be inclined to say something about her Palace of Loss.
Rivalen Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:33:47
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

quote:
Originally posted by TymoraChosen

Who knows the Plane of Shadow might be created by Shar herself? After all, her Palace of Loss is located in the Plane of Shadow. Unless someone tells me that the Palace of Loss was not created by Shar herself or she took over some ruined existing fortress for herself, I would find it disturbing to know.

Actually, there was once a fortress in the plane of shadow but somehow ruined and never found again.

What is the fortress name? Perhaps Shar could had occupied it for own use. I bet that neither the Shadovar nor Lord Shadow know of this ruined fortress existing in the plane of Shadow. Say, ask Shar about it.
silvermage Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:30:05
quote:

Who knows the Plane of Shadow might be created by Shar herself? After all, her Palace of Loss is located in the Plane of Shadow. Unless someone tells me that the Palace of Loss was not created by Shar herself or she took over some ruined existing fortress for herself, I would find it disturbing to know.

Actually, there was once a fortress in the plane of shadow but somehow ruined and never found again.
TymoraChosen Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:27:40
Shadovar Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:17:09
quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Shadovar

Yes, its effect can break the shadow walk spells effects, unless whoever is shadowwalking can maintain hold of the shadow walk spell well enough, then too bad.

How to get out of the plane of shadow if one is stranded by a shadow quake in the plane of shadow while shadow walking?

Perhaps if one is a competent shadowmage, try shadow walking again or try some other alternative way of getting out say by portal spells.
Shadovar Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:14:40
quote:

Yes, I heard of the demi-plane of dread from the Ravenloft's Vampire of the Mists novel, but then a interesting question struck me.
If the plane of shadow was an artificial plane, then who created it? Lord Shadow himself?

No, Lord Shadow discovered the plane of shadow and he did not created it. But there are many rumors about the creation of the shadow plane anyway.
Sir Vengeance Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:12:27
quote:
Originally posted by Rivalen

Demiplanes? heard that they are minor planes, most of which are artificial. Demiplanes are commonly created by demigods and extremely powerful wizards and psionists. Naturally-occurring demiplanes are rare; most such demiplanes are actually fragments of other planes that have been somehow split apart from their parent plane. Demiplanes are often constructed to resemble the Material Plane, though a few — mostly those created by non-humans — are quite alien.

Heard of the demi-plane of dread?

Yes, I heard of the demi-plane of dread from the Ravenloft's Vampire of the Mists novel, but then a interesting question struck me.
If the plane of shadow was an artificial plane, then who created it? Lord Shadow himself?
FreezeChaser Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:08:44
quote:

Originally posted by RedStrike

Ask the nearby shadow creatures for directions or maybe ask for help from the local Shadovar of Shade Enclave if they are around.

Nice jest, but Shade Enclave had long left the shadow plane and the shadow creatures will likely make a snack out of a lost traveler in the plane of shadow unless you possess the Shadovar magic and weapons to fight off the inhabitants of the Plane of Shadow.
RedStrike Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:05:13
quote:

quote:

Yes, its effect can break the shadow walk spells effects, unless whoever is shadowwalking can maintain hold of the shadow walk spell well enough, then too bad.

How to get out of the plane of shadow if one is stranded by a shadow quake in the plane of shadow while shadow walking?

Ask the nearby shadow creatures for directions or maybe ask for help from the local Shadovar of Shade Enclave if they are around.
FreezeChaser Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:02:53
quote:

Shadovar Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 13:00:12
quote:

quote:

Still, be highly aware of Shadow Quakes in the Plane of Shadow as it can break the effect of Shadow Walk spells.

Why is it so that such quakes can affect shadow walk spells?

Well, allow me to answer the question, take note that the Plane of Shadow is a morphic landscape, but in general it moves slowly. Over the course of a week the landscape may alter sufficiently to be unrecognizable, although someone continually observing the plane wouldn't see it actually moving. But the Plane of Shadow do have earthquakes that can prove deadly to the shadow traveler. Shadow quakes tend to be dramatic but localized, having the same effect as an earthquake spell within a 10o-foot radius. Yes, its effect can break the shadow walk spells effects, unless whoever is shadowwalking can maintain hold of the shadow walk spell well enough, then too bad.
FreezeChaser Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 12:54:40
quote:

Still, be highly aware of Shadow Quakes in the Plane of Shadow as it can break the effect of Shadow Walk spells.

Why is it so that such quakes can affect shadow walk spells?
RedStrike Posted - 14 Jul 2005 : 12:51:40
quote:

quote:

My thanks to you two for replying, point taken note.

By the way, besides those unanswered questions I had listed in this topic header, I would like to know more about the plane of Shadow such as its traits, movement and combat in the plane of shadow, the denizens of this plane and any particular features about this plane that is worth noting. Also, what's shadow walk?
Thanks.

What's shadow walk? Simple, One and any creature one touch are transported along a coiling path of shadowstuff to the edge of the Material Plane where it borders the Plane of Shadow. The effect is largely illusory, but the path is quasi-real. One can take more than one creature along with you (subject to one level limit), but all must be touching each other or what happens? Lost the way.

Shadow walk can also be used to travel to other planes that border on the Plane of Shadow, but this usage requires the transit of the Plane of Shadow to arrive at a border with another plane of reality. The transit of the Plane of Shadow requires 1d4 hours.

In the region of shadow, one move at a rate of 50 miles per hour, moving normally on the borders of the Plane of Shadow but much more rapidly relative to the Material Plane. One can use this spell to travel rapidly by stepping onto the Plane of Shadow, moving the desired distance, and then stepping back onto the Material Plane.

Because of the blurring of reality between the Plane of Shadow and the Material Plane, a person cannot make out details of the terrain or areas he/she pass over during transit, nor can the person predict perfectly where the travel will end. It is virtually impossible to judge distances accurately, making the spell virtually useless for scouting or spying. Furthermore, when the spell effect ends, the person are shunted 1d10x100 feet in a random horizontal direction from your desired endpoint. If this would place a person within a solid object, he/she will be shunted 1d10x1,000 feet in the same direction.

But beware not to get lost in the plane of shadow.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000