Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  21:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Hey ERik, have you seen the 4e shadow dancer??

If you have does it resemble the Shadowdancer of old??

(yeah I want to know if it would even be worth to stop and look at the book becuase of it and the living vampire race... and most the shadow dancer and its all your fault Fox at Twilight)

I have not yet seen Heroes of Shadow, but I will check it out as soon as I get the opportunity.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  22:54:47  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shadow dancer is a paragon path that focuses on teleportation (powers that teleport, additional effects when teleporting, etc). It can go invisible and finally has a power to leave behind a damaging shadowy zone when shifting.
It doesn't get a shadow companion (iirc the 3rd ed version did).

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  23:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, RW, now that would be telling! I'll leave off on an actual announcement for the nonce.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  23:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

The shadow dancer is a paragon path that focuses on teleportation (powers that teleport, additional effects when teleporting, etc). It can go invisible and finally has a power to leave behind a damaging shadowy zone when shifting.
From that description, it seems to fit pretty well the cooler/core thematic principles of the 3.5 shadowdancer. I couldn't say more without seeing the actual mechanics.

Is it a PP for rogues, assassins, anybody?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  01:37:05  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Fun fact: this story actually ties into my forthcoming non-WotC novel. More on that later.
Unlike sage, I am more intrigued by THIS then anything else... how is that possible?
Oh, I found that interesting too. But my love of philosophy and Erik's mention of it, tickled my senses more.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  03:02:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

From that description, it seems to fit pretty well the cooler/core thematic principles of the 3.5 shadowdancer. I couldn't say more without seeing the actual mechanics.

Cheers

when the PP for the heroes of shadow book was on the wizard page, it said any teleportation powers

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  04:13:19  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh, RW, now that would be telling! I'll leave off on an actual announcement for the nonce.

Cheers

Glad I didn't drop the rest of it then!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  09:20:52  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Requirements: any teleportation at will or encounter power, trained in Stealth

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 14 Apr 2011 09:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2011 :  16:20:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally did get a copy of Heroes of Shadow (kudos to the designers! Looking forward to playing a blackguard quite a bit!), and yeah, the Shadowdancer seems like a pretty awesome paragon path for Lady Ilira.

My current 4e build for her (which changes from time to time as new books come out) is a hybrid rogue/assassin (shadow dancer).

No shadow companion from the paragon path, but one can easily build a shadow companion character, so no worries there.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 25 Apr 2011 16:23:53
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  20:23:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so what do you think of hte dark watcher paragon path??

I think it screams 4e of the old shadowbane prestige classes of 3.x.

and who ever wrote the 4e description of the shadowdancer, needs 50 lashes with a wet noodle for absolutely NO creativity in it.

3.x shadowdancer had a great description.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2011 :  21:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of you may have noticed that my next novel Shadowbane is not appearing as available in mass-market paperback on Amazon, though the Kindle version is still available.

Rest easy. The novel has not been cancelled or postponed or anything dire. It will still be available for your reading pleasure, particularly those who enjoyed my novel Downshadow and would like to see the next chapter in those characters' stories. And anyone who loves some of the dead gods . . . like Helm, for instance.

I will have more to say in the near future. Please stay tuned, and have no fear!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2011 :  03:39:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is now the near future and everything is supersonic electronic...

thaks for the tidbit erik

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  19:55:26  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Announcement time yet?

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2011 :  20:16:50  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As for topics of discussion... well, I've always been curious about what type of other worlds/settings FR authors would like to write for? Even if it's just something they'd like to imagine.
So, I've decided to pose this question to you Erik.

Excellent question, Sage!

Aside from settings of my own making (one of the novels I wrote this last year basically takes place in Seattle, Autumn 2008, for instance, and another is an apocalyptic steam-punk/airships/final fantasy sort of setting, and another is of course my version of San Francisco plus superheroes), I think I might be comfortable writing in a number of other big, popular settings (some of them shared world, some of them not).

So here’s my list of “dream” settings (please don’t laugh at me), in no particular order:

4) Middle-Earth: Peter S. Beagle once wrote, “The impulse is being called reactionary now, but lovers of Middle-earth want to go there. I would myself, like a shot.” I could built some great stories there, in and around the epic events of LotR, or just off on my own.

Cheers

I think I would like to see you tell the story of the Entwives.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  17:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just stopping in to say the Countdown to Neverwinter is now less than a tenday.

My latest design work--the Neverwinter Campaign Guide--is releasing at GenCon this year, and I'm totally stoked.

If you're coming to GenCon this year, do find me at the convention to get your NCG signed!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2011 :  19:04:39  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sadly... I'm not going....

bummer

I'd have to send it by mail or pay up in cash to have you send me one...... very much broke at this point...

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  18:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who are playing Encounters or are just interested in Neverwinter, check these links:

Design & Development: Neverwinter: An article I wrote about my work on Neverwinter, including themes and political intrigues.

Designer Notes: A blog series on crafting the D&D Encounters season, with tips for DMs.

I also have an Ask the Author thread on the D&D blog.

And finally, here's the Neverwinter Product Page, which includes links to previews and all kinds of goodies.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  20:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies to those who already know this, but I've encountered a few folks who didn't, so I'm posting it again:

My next novel SHADOWBANE (slated for a September 6 release, if Amazon is to be believed) is an e-book only release. If you see it listed on Barnes and Noble or Amazon as "unavailable," you're probably looking at the Mass Market Paperback. There are no plans to produce such a thing at this time, though who knows in the future?

If you want to continue reading the story that my last book DOWNSHADOW began, then grab an e-reader and get ready, because Kalen Dren, Champion of a Dead God, is about to rock your fantasy world.

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Forgotten-Realms-Novel-ebook/dp/B004ZZKRLS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313520560&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shadowbane-erik-scott-de-bie/1102955200

Here's the WotC product page about it (this says an October release date): http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/335130000

Cheers,
Erik Scott de Bie

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  22:57:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know what really sucks....

I now have to go buy an ereader....

is there an app that does that for the I pad??

I'd rather have one of those.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  23:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Supposedly you'll be able to get it straight from the WotC site, no ereader necessary, but don't quote me on that.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  23:20:31  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

you know what really sucks....

I now have to go buy an ereader....

is there an app that does that for the I pad??

I'd rather have one of those.....

I have the kindle app on my iPad. Works flawlessly.(also have barnes and noble nook app..just don't use it)

Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2011 :  23:44:20  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the Kindle app for iPad. I almost hate to admit, but I like it better than reading on a Kindle.

If you don't have an e-reader, there's also a free Kindle app for PC/Mac, which might be cheaper than spending a few hundred dollars to read Erik's book...as good as book as I have no doubt it is! :)

Gabrielle Harbowy, scribe and editrix
http://www.gabrielle-edits.com
twitter: @gabrielle_h
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2011 :  00:01:17  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apologies to those who already know this, but I've encountered a few folks who didn't, so I'm posting it again:

My next novel SHADOWBANE (slated for a September 6 release, if Amazon is to be believed) is an e-book only release. If you see it listed on Barnes and Noble or Amazon as "unavailable," you're probably looking at the Mass Market Paperback. There are no plans to produce such a thing at this time, though who knows in the future?

If you want to continue reading the story that my last book DOWNSHADOW began, then grab an e-reader and get ready, because Kalen Dren, Champion of a Dead God, is about to rock your fantasy world.

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Forgotten-Realms-Novel-ebook/dp/B004ZZKRLS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313520560&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shadowbane-erik-scott-de-bie/1102955200

Here's the WotC product page about it (this says an October release date): http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/335130000

Cheers,
Erik Scott de Bie

Hmmm....well I guess that ends the debate on if I stick with paper or go to eBook with the realms . I just got Bury Elminster Deep in e form, so looks like Shadowbane might just prompt a total change. I'm woncertainly there is a certain sales figure they are looking at doing this with or all or most non-hardcovers that won't be in paper or what the reasoning is.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  20:53:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not Realms related Erik, but if you don't mind; what is the country of Origin For deBie??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2011 :  01:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am about 50% Dutch from my paternal side. Roughly, de Bie means "of the hills," which is funny because the Netherlands is a pretty flat realm.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000