Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eytan Bernstein
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  08:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a game designer of the Realms, namely - Eytan Bernstein . Eytan has worked on the upcoming Dragons of Faerūn sourcebook.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  09:38:45  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I hope I can answer questions as they pertain to Dragons of Faerun. The book is not yet out, so there are of course limits to what I can say, but I'll do my best to answer without violating the NDA.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  09:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eytan,

will Dragons of Farūn be mainly a lore book or a rulesy book?

Will we see items and/or tactics how to beat dragons?

Thanks
Mace

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  10:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What parts of the book did you work on?

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  12:00:41  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Hi Eytan,

will Dragons of Farūn be mainly a lore book or a rulesy book?

Will we see items and/or tactics how to beat dragons?

Thanks
Mace

Both. I'd say it's about 60% lore/40% crunch. In terms of crunch, there are plenty new spells, magic items, monsters, traps, and lair hazards. The book is quite low on other types of crunch.

In terms of lore, there are 19 dragons/dracoliches in painstaking detail, a bunch of dragon-related organizations, a huge section on the Rage, and large sections devoted to the Cult of the Dragon and the worship of Tiamat. Even in certain crunch sections, there is significant lore.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 06 Jul 2006 12:11:13
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  12:04:17  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'm looking forward to it.

There (hopefully!) isn't any equivalent of a dragonlance in the items?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  12:07:45  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

What parts of the book did you work on?

The Swordsage

The book is a fairly even split between Eric Boyd and I. I did more of the crunchy stuff (though still plenty of the lore) and he wrote more history. Eric has a vast knowledge of FR history, so he did more work on the history of the rage and dragons in general, as well as organizations and other detailed accounts. I wrote most of the monsters, all of the traps/hazards, and both adventures (in chapter 2 and 3). Other than that, both of us worked to some greater or lesser degree on all the chapters - including spells, items, etc... In terms of the preview, pretty much that whole text in the big box was done by Eric. I did the Nartheling writeup (hopefully the link will be corrected soon.)

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 06 Jul 2006 12:10:35
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  12:09:06  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Cool, I'm looking forward to it.

There (hopefully!) isn't any equivalent of a dragonlance in the items?

Sorry, I can't comment on specific items/spells/etc...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  12:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'm certainly looking forward to this tome even more now I'm happy to hear the Rage being covered and was hoping for this all along. Can ye say what level of detail and type of section this will be, Eytan? I assume that the Cult of the Dragon has been updated from this event too. Did Richard Lee Byers have any input into the product?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  12:41:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I'm certainly looking forward to this tome even more now I'm happy to hear the Rage being covered and was hoping for this all along. Can ye say what level of detail and type of section this will be, Eytan? I assume that the Cult of the Dragon has been updated from this event too. Did Richard Lee Byers have any input into the product?

The Rage is detailed sufficiently for the DM to run a "regular dracorage", the "Year of Rogue Dragons", and a post-Year of Rogue Dragons campaign.

I talked to RLB while working on this book, and I had access to his novel outlines as well.

The book does NOT focus on the events in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy, but it certainly covers those events. It very definitely deals with the aftereffects of that trilogy.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  16:14:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How well does this book build upon the original, 2E Draconomicon? That was one of the first FR products I got...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  17:10:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya,

I'm going to ask, since it's proper and I've done it to everyone else. Can I keep your replies for the Candlekeep replies that we've been keeping since 2004?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  17:38:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

How well does this book build upon the original, 2E Draconomicon? That was one of the first FR products I got...

We endeavored to remain fully consistent Realmslore-wise, but it's not FR-Draconomicon v3.5e. It's also not the 3e Draconomicon set in the Realms. I like to think of it as a book about the role of dragons (true dragons and their various descendants) and their "supporters" in the Realms.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  03:04:25  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to what Eric said, the 1E and 2E sources were always checked and researched to see what had occurred before. Often, the information needed to be updated to account for changes in subsequent novels and game products, but it was always consulted. That said, the book has a focus all its own and is not just a 3.5 update of previous Dragon information.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  03:09:38  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hiya,

I'm going to ask, since it's proper and I've done it to everyone else. Can I keep your replies for the Candlekeep replies that we've been keeping since 2004?

Sure, I don't see why not.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  03:11:25  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Eric already answered most of your questions, but I will add that the Cult gets an entire chapter devoted to it, including a rather nifty adventure. I can't say precisely what's included (not only because of NDAs, but because I haven't seen the final version yet), but I think it will cover most of your Cult needs.

I spoke to Richard Lee Byers a few times (mostly during revision), but he gave his full blessing to use our creative faculties. I believe Eric has spoken with him more than I have. I did read the Rage and the Rite before working on the book (as well as a synopsis of the ruin). It certainly informed our decisions and gave excellent inspiration and vision for the feel of the dragons of FR.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 07 Jul 2006 03:14:34
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  22:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

We endeavored to remain fully consistent Realmslore-wise, but it's not FR-Draconomicon v3.5e. It's also not the 3e Draconomicon set in the Realms. I like to think of it as a book about the role of dragons (true dragons and their various descendants) and their "supporters" in the Realms.

--Eric

This sounds just like a tome to my liking! More on dragon lairs, behaviour, dragon-related intrigue, and their relations to other races... and less on crunch, I hope!

Eric and Eytan, I hope you didn't let George mess around with any prestige classes, did you? ("It was George who designed the 'Fat Old Dragonslayer'-PrC!")

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:58:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume you mean me.

Gods forfend that professional designers of the calibre of Eric and Eytan would let me mess around with their crunch. I did get to give some feedback re the Dracorage Mythal (which was fun to tell you the truth) as did Tom Costa.

The main help I gave was finding dragons. Lots of them. Oh, and doing something I've wanted to do for years.

And just what is wrong with a "Fat Old Dragonslayer"-PrC? Back in the day I'm sure that Mirt dabbled with such things.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  02:24:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And just what is wrong with a "Fat Old Dragonslayer"-PrC? Back in the day I'm sure that Mirt dabbled with such things.

-- George Krashos

Of course we included George's FOD PrC. Only George called it a "kit". ;-)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  03:16:53  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Of course we included George's FOD PrC. Only George called it a "kit". ;-)

--Eric

My next character in an FR campaign is definitely going to progress into the FODPrC. I'm just not sure what the epic progression will be.

~Eytan

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 13 Jul 2006 03:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  04:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does DoF include anything on the Dragon rumoured to live in the Sleeping Dragon inn in Rassalantar?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  13:21:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Does DoF include anything on the Dragon rumoured to live in the Sleeping Dragon inn in Rassalantar?

Nope. We focused on the "named dragons" of existing Realmslore, not the reports of unnamed dragons.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  02:20:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-So, Eytan, how'd you get such a sweet job? Want to trade jobs, by any chance?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  10:01:20  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-So, Eytan, how'd you get such a sweet job? Want to trade jobs, by any chance?

That's a good question. In March of 2005, I answered a Wizards open call for a development position. I took the development test and they liked it, so they did a phone interview. Eventually, they whittled it down to two candidates - myself & Mike Mearls. We both had interviews in Seattle. Mike was way more experienced than I was, so he rightfully got the job.

You'd think I'd be bitter, but the truth is that Mike is probably the most qualified person for that position. It'd be a lie to say that I wasn't disappointed, but in most ways, I got quite lucky. These days, most people have to spend years in the industry before getting to work on major supplements. When I applied, I had a bunch of articles in some smaller magazines and a few e-books, but not much else. Now, I get to write D&D books (with esteemed colleagues like Eric).

Anyway, I was told that they were very impressed and that with more experience, something might open up for me in the future. (Wouldn't that be nice? :) They also offered me the opportunity to do freelance projects. Dragons of Faerun was my first book. I've also completed work on a portion of the upcoming Magic Item Compendium and wrote an article that should be up on the Wizards site in August. It's not realms related, but I think people will like it. (Interestingly enough, Luke Johnson has a very similar story about how he got involved with Wizards. He applied for a design position -now held by Matthew Sernett).

As for trading jobs, I'd have to hear what you do. If it pays well, I'd definitely consider it. You might think it's fantastic to write RPGs (and I wouldn't disagree with you), but unless you are one of the biggest names in the industry - like Monte Cook or Skip Williams - it's hard to have writing be your only source of income. In addition to writing RPG books, I also teach social studies, English, and ESL (English as a Second language). Writing works quite well with teaching because I tend to travel a lot when finding new and interesting places to teach. I was actually teaching in South Korea when I applied for the position. This October, I will be teaching in Poland. Most ESL positions in other countries occur in the afternoons and evenings, which suits me just fine. I like to write late at night and sleep in.

That should answer your question and then some :)

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  06:06:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for trading jobs, I'd have to hear what you do. If it pays well, I'd definitely consider it. You might think it's fantastic to write RPGs (and I wouldn't disagree with you), but unless you are one of the biggest names in the industry - like Monte Cook or Skip Williams - it's hard to have writing be your only source of income. In addition to writing RPG books, I also teach social studies, English, and ESL (English as a Second language). Writing works quite well with teaching because I tend to travel a lot when finding new and interesting places to teach. I was actually teaching in South Korea when I applied for the position. This October, I will be teaching in Poland. Most ESL positions in other countries occur in the afternoons and evenings, which suits me just fine. I like to write late at night and sleep in.

-Me? I'm still in school, but when I'm off, I'm working with the National Park Service part-time. Basically, I get to walk around in circles, under the hot sun (for now, anyway), in an uncomfortable hat.

-So, what's it like to be able to actually shape the Realms, and be a part of the "Brain Trust"?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  07:05:37  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Me? I'm still in school, but when I'm off, I'm working with the National Park Service part-time. Basically, I get to walk around in circles, under the hot sun (for now, anyway), in an uncomfortable hat.

-So, what's it like to be able to actually shape the Realms, and be a part of the "Brain Trust"?

It's great really. Years ago when I'd read FR novels, I always imagined that I could write some fascinating material. It's my hope that some of the work I do in the Realms will lay the seeds for great RPG campaigns, but also for interesting ideas in future supplements and novels. I've been to Gen Con several times, and have spoken to some of the writers, but this year will be the first in which I am personally more familiar with most of them. I've had the fortune of chatting (via Aim, livejournal, Candlekeep, e-mail, ENWorld, RPG.net, telephone and other sources) with a sizable number of realms designers and novelists this year, so it's been a really eye-opening and fulfilling period of time.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 23 Jul 2006 07:06:01
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  03:29:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's great really. Years ago when I'd read FR novels, I always imagined that I could write some fascinating material. It's my hope that some of the work I do in the Realms will lay the seeds for great RPG campaigns, but also for interesting ideas in future supplements and novels. I've been to Gen Con several times, and have spoken to some of the writers, but this year will be the first in which I am personally more familiar with most of them. I've had the fortune of chatting (via Aim, livejournal, Candlekeep, e-mail, ENWorld, RPG.net, telephone and other sources) with a sizable number of realms designers and novelists this year, so it's been a really eye-opening and fulfilling period of time.

-Can you share any of your ideas with us, now, or is that going to be a 'No-No'?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2006 :  07:03:43  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Can you share any of your ideas with us, now, or is that going to be a 'No-No'?

It's not a "no-no" really, but it's probably best to avoid that in case I do ever get to use them. I have a bunch for some realms fiction, but I have been so busy with game design recently, that fiction has really fallen behind. I can say that if there ever was a sourcebook on elves - perhaps Elves of Faerun - that would be something that very much interests me.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  09:22:31  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd post a press release I wrote for my company, Silven Publishing. If you follow the directions below (e-mail me, then fill out the survey from the e-mail link you receive, you get a $3 coupon to buy one of my company's products at RPGnow.) Hopefully, this will give people an opportunity to get a sense of some of the other work I do.

Silven Publishing would like to invite you to take our short product survey. In return for completing the survey, you will receive a $3 coupon that you can put towards any single purchase of one of our products at RPGnow. In order to receive the survey, please send an e-mail to eytan@silvenpublishing.com with the word survey in the subject. You will then be sent a link to the survey. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this e-mail.

The survey consists of 27 brief questions that will help us to evaluate interest and demographics as they relate to Silven and its products. The information you provide in the survey will not be distributed to anyone outside of Silven. You will not receive any e-mails from Silven (other than those relating to your $3 coupon) unless you ask to be sent further promotional e-mails in question #24 & #25. Once you have completed the survey, you will be sent an additional e-mail that contains a coupon for the product you requested in question #28.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 29 Jul 2006 14:13:00
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  04:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, good job on Dragons of Faerun. I really enjoyed flipping through it today and getting reaquainted with the big bads of the Realms. :)

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  07:16:52  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Eytan, good job on Dragons of Faerun. I really enjoyed flipping through it today and getting reaquainted with the big bads of the Realms. :)

Steven

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000