Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Volothamp
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  04:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Two Q's:

Q1: Where does Volothamp Geddarm currently reside, as of 1373/74, or is he off traveling? (Where?)

Q2: Where is the city of Volothamp, and any details about it?

Thanking you in advance,
Smyther

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  08:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2) Its in Calimshan, its west of the Spider swamp

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  11:16:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit from The Hooded One:

quote:
Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster’s pond. He’s free again now, and I fear we’ve all not heard the last from Volo. :}

I think that's the most specific info we have on Volo at the moment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  11:19:39  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i could hardly believe my eyes when i saw this thread: i was up to ask some things about "THE" volo and just hours before me someone else touches the very subject. strange coincidence, but then again: do such things as coincidences really exist?

a player of one o´ my campaigns is in the planning phase of a campaign on the monshae islands and has the following hook/background story to get the players involved:

volothamp geddarm plans to write one of his (in-)famous guides, this time about the moonshaes. the players are hired by volo´s publisher as "able assistants" of the famous writer (or rather "bodygards", because volo seems to have the knack of making enemies). they ought to discover and describe rare herbs and animals (and monsters) previously unknown to the rest of faerun, find peculiar customs of the region (the biggest part of the campaign plays on moray, an island on the western part of the moonshaes that´s rather hard to access, and therefore relatively unknown tothe "general public"), in a word: generally explore the island.

two days after departure (i.e. well away from waterdeep), a mysterious figure appears on deck (apparently a teleporting mage), goes straight to volo, screams something about "...revenge for your brazenness...", turns him into a frog and dissappears with a pop - and the frog formerly known as volothamp geddarm!

the players will (hopefully) return to waterdeep and after a talk with volo´s publisher will be hired to do the exploration themselves, while he tries to "get his best writer back into a form that can hold a pen and write books".

to cut a long story short (thx for all who made it that far through my rambling! ): i have to advice the (newbie-) dm about how to roleplay volo, after all one of the iconic characters of the realms.

i cannot give him volo´s various guides, for in most of them are informations that are relevant to the three campaign where he´s a player (and i dm), but i´ll send him copies from all the forewords, where volo´s charakter shines through between the lines.

my questions:
- where do i find informations about volo? i know he was featured in several articles in the dragon. i have quite many magazines, but no time to search every one of them.
- are there any other accessories apart from the 2e campaign setting where volo is described? i don´t need stats but some sort of characterisation...
- how would YOU play volo? what quirks would he have? talking in an overblown style, wearing something disctinct, treating others condescendingly,...?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  12:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forget Volo I want to know what happaned to Zeboaster of Ordulin (The Salman Rushdie of the Forgotten Realms)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  13:00:07  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Forget Volo I want to know what happaned to Zeboaster of Ordulin (The Salman Rushdie of the Forgotten Realms)

i don´t even recall that name...
care to reveal more, dargoth?
sounds like potential for loads of roleplaying fun!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  13:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zeboaster is Sage from Ordulin (he appears in The FR Adventures source book)

Hes known to have made several sarcastic and offensive remarks about various power groups in the realms

Off the top of my head I can remember 2

"Those stupid red wizards of Thay"

and when discussing why Mykruls followers where so quick to convert to Cyric Zoboaster remarked that it was because all the Mykruls followers had to do was "Merely changing the name on the letterhead and putting a purple sunburst around the skull outside the Temple"

Mykruls former followers refer to the sage as "Zoboaster the still alive---For Now"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  13:24:11  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx! sounds like my players will meet him when they´re in ordulin next time. ´though it´ll be hard to squeeze that encounter between their trouble with the rot grubs, a local cult of ghaunadaur (sp?), the watch and at least two other local underground groups.
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  13:29:24  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

Two Q's:
Q2: Where is the city of Volothamp, and any details about it?

i´m sorry for hijacking your thread, perhaps i could make it up with the following reference:

"empires of the shining sea" has some infos on the city on pages 119-121, even a map (which should also be in the interactive atlas, i guess).

tauster
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  23:10:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

my questions:
- where do i find informations about volo? i know he was featured in several articles in the dragon. i have quite many magazines, but no time to search every one of them.
- are there any other accessories apart from the 2e campaign setting where volo is described? i don´t need stats but some sort of characterisation...

Volo is most well-known for his many Volo's Guide to books. He wrote a whole bunch of them; some were published, some were not. The ones listed as "released" are the ones published by TSR/WotC, the others were mentioned in the Candlekeep Collection but never actually (real-world) written.

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical - released (Rewrite with aid of Elminster) (Available for free on the downloads page of the Wizards website)

Volo's Guide to the Bloodstone Lands - unreleased (held by peoples unknown)

Volo's Guide to Calimport - notes & old draft; all final drafts destroyed by pashas and Rundeen agents

Volo's Guide to Cormyr - released (Available for free on the downloads page of the Wizards website)

Volo's Guide to the Dalelands - released (Available for free on the downloads page of the Wizards website)

Volo's Guide to the Lands of Intrigue - (excerpts and partial draft of which released by Elminster to chroniclers as "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II" {which was released})

Volo's Guide to the Moonsea - unreleased and suppressed by Zhentarim agents

Volo's Guide to the North - released (Available for free on the downloads page of the Wizards website)

Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast - released

Volo's Guide to the Vast - unreleased (held by someone in Ravens Bluff)

Volo's Guide to Waterdeep - released

Volo's Guide to Westgate & the Dragon Coast - commission work held by a noble of Yhaunn

Of the released guides, my faves are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep (that book made the city come alive for me, and is why I love Waterdeep) and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (there is a lot of nifty lore in there that can still be used in 3.x).

There were also three 2E modules, the Marco Volo trilogy. I don't know about the first two, but I know for a fact he is statted out in the third one. These are also available for free on the downloads page of the Wizards website.

I do have some 3.x stats for him (3.0, I think) that were unofficially done by a gent on the Wizards boards, back when I was still allowed to post there. I can share these, too, if you'd like.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Zeboaster is Sage from Ordulin (he appears in The FR Adventures source book)

Hes known to have made several sarcastic and offensive remarks about various power groups in the realms

Off the top of my head I can remember 2

"Those stupid red wizards of Thay"

and when discussing why Mykruls followers where so quick to convert to Cyric Zoboaster remarked that it was because all the Mykruls followers had to do was "Merely changing the name on the letterhead and putting a purple sunburst around the skull outside the Temple"

Mykruls former followers refer to the sage as "Zoboaster the still alive---For Now"

You could always hop over and ask Ed... I'd be interested in his reply, too.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Feb 2005 23:19:29
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  23:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Already done Wolly

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  09:18:31  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Volo is most well-known for his many Volo's Guide to books. He wrote a whole bunch of them; some were published, some were not. The ones listed as "released" are the ones published by TSR/WotC, the others were mentioned in the Candlekeep Collection but never actually (real-world) written.
[snip]

i already have the released ones, but didn´t know about the unreleased guides. thx! i know he made some appearances in dragon magazines, but i don´t have my dragon archive (those five cdrom´s that are one of the most important things in my collection) at hand and can´t start searching there.

quote:

Of the released guides, my faves are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep (that book made the city come alive for me, and is why I love Waterdeep) and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (there is a lot of nifty lore in there that can still be used in 3.x).

i agree: the waterdeep guide is one of the most useful and "flavoured" products ever written! i´ve lead my players on a merry chase through waterdeep (the story we discussed months back: searching for a certain statue in the coldest part of winter...) and used much of the guide.

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical is one of the things i still try to get my hands on, but i´m willing to wat until i find one for a decent price.
quote:

There were also three 2E modules, the Marco Volo trilogy. I don't know about the first two, but I know for a fact he is statted out in the third one. These are also available for free on the downloads page of the Wizards website.

i found volos 2e stats and a (very) short description in the 3rd part, thx.

quote:
I do have some 3.x stats for him (3.0, I think) that were unofficially done by a gent on the Wizards boards, back when I was still allowed to post there. I can share these, too, if you'd like.

thx, but that´s not necessary, i had found those already (i was more looking for volo´s fluffy sides; stat´s will be next to useless in his campaign). besides: we´re "2nd editioniers" and will probybly stay for years.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  11:17:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[snip]

i already have the released ones, but didn´t know about the unreleased guides. thx! i know he made some appearances in dragon magazines, but i don´t have my dragon archive (those five cdrom´s that are one of the most important things in my collection) at hand and can´t start searching there.

Actually, that wouldn't do you any good. According to the info I snagged from somewhere a while back, the Volo articles came out after issue 250.

Here's the blurb, which I believe was someone's response to an earlier Volo question:

quote:
Adventures of Volo
Author: Ed Greenwood
Notes: A series of articles detailing locations and miscellaneous lore of the Realms. This series eventually morphed into "Elminster's Guide to the Realms."

Installments:

#267 - "Onward!"
#268 - "Lost Princess Road"
#269 - "The Hin Nobody Knows"
#270 - "The Ardeep"
#271 - "The Great Goblet"
#272 - "Quotations of the Realms"
#273 - "The House of Stone"
#274 - "The Stag Lass"
#275 - "The Crumbling Stair"
#276 - "Cormyrian Contacts"
#277 - "Dragonwing Stew"
#278 - "Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 1"
#279 - "Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 2"
#280 - "Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 3"
#281 - "Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 4"
#282 - "The Urge to Hunt"

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  18:55:54  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx wooly!
your are a most helpful hamster indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  22:38:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

thx wooly!
your are a most helpful hamster indeed!

Not a problem!

Oh, and I was in error earlier. That list I quoted of Volo articles was lifted from a website listing Realms articles.

Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  00:04:55  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this IS useful information.
@Wooly Rupert: Do you know when the Hooded One's information is accurate as of? For all I know, Volo could have been running around for years now.

Too bad I don't have the Dragon CDRom, or any others of those resources. Or Empires of the Shining Sea. *Sigh* My collection is so incomplete. I assume that the unreleased guides are fictional, not really books by WotC as yet unreleased.

For tauster, the downloads section that you quoted has Volo's Guide to All Things Magic, if you don't mind it in electronic form.

Thanks to all, but keep the Volo flowing. (Ech, that sounded nasty)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  01:01:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, this IS useful information.
@Wooly Rupert: Do you know when the Hooded One's information is accurate as of? For all I know, Volo could have been running around for years now.

Well, the info was given on the 18th of March of last year, and she did say he's free now...

For the record, here is the full quote:

quote:
As for Volo: I once heard Volo called the “Geraldo Rivera of the Realms,” but I think that’s a trifle unfair to the real Mr. Rivera. Volo is a young, amoral rogue itching with the need to learn secrets and trumpet them to the world. A minor mage and major rogue, he wanders Faerun penning acidic travel guides (the Volo’s Guides, which are available as downloads and are ESSENTIAL to making a Realms campaign seem colourful and ‘real’). There’s even a Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II, which was meant to go with the computer game. Volo went so far as to write a book entitled Volo’s Guide To All Things Magical, and was threatened (by various wizards) with dire consequences if it was ever published.
Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster’s pond. He’s free again now, and I fear we’ve all not heard the last from Volo. :}

quote:

Too bad I don't have the Dragon CDRom, or any others of those resources. Or Empires of the Shining Sea. *Sigh* My collection is so incomplete.

Well, the CD-ROM only runs to issue 250 -- so those articles I mentioned above are not on there. For those, you'd have to find the actual printed magazines.

But oh, yeah, it is a useful resource.

quote:

I assume that the unreleased guides are fictional, not really books by WotC as yet unreleased.

I know that various people have expressed an interest in seeing some of those Guides printed, but I've never seen anything to indicate they were actually written.

I could be mistaken, but I'd imagine that when Steven Schend wrote the article that listed those books, he was just looking at what had been written by Volo and filling in the blanks.

Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  01:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Wooly, I was thinking more in terms of Dalereckoning. He might have got out of Elminster's Garden (new book, anyone?), but he could have got into a lot of trouble by now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  02:37:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, Wooly, I was thinking more in terms of Dalereckoning. He might have got out of Elminster's Garden (new book, anyone?), but he could have got into a lot of trouble by now.

Well, she did say "now". And since we're speaking of a Realms character, "now" means "at the current point in the timeline". So Volo is out there right now, scribing out an entry in an inn room while hoping that the angry mage from two days ago doesn't find him...

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  02:44:54  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... what I really want to know, is how does Volo keep escaping from all these people that want to kill him? I think he has made at least a dozen enemies in every major port and city in Faerun. Lol.

Is Volo capable of defending himself from assassins or angry mages and what kind of magical items does he carry?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  03:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmm... what I really want to know, is how does Volo keep escaping from all these people that want to kill him? I think he has made at least a dozen enemies in every major port and city in Faerun. Lol.

Is Volo capable of defending himself from assassins or angry mages and what kind of magical items does he carry?

Another note from Khelben....

"No matter how kindly we ask her to stay her hand, Our Lady of Mysteries is one to forgive Master Geddarm his mortal trespasses and release him from many of his `inconveniences.' Whilst I realize she prefers to have such a rogue `to foment and froth new magics to both conceal and reveal secrets in his wake,' I must confess to enjoy Volo's presence much more as a red-jacketed statue holding a lantern in Elminster's garden a number of summers back..."

And Wooly, those lists of Volo's prospective manuscripts (published, suppressed, or conjectured) came from my listing of what manuscripts were in Candlekeep. No, there's no plans to write any of them, nor were they ever in the planning in real-world ways. They were simply in-world expectations as to what the old boy would be up to and what might've occurred as a result...

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  03:15:56  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I picked up at a convention:

If you get out a real-world atlas of the United States (and it would have to be a very detailed one, you will find near the borders of Illinois and Wisconsin a small locale called Volo Bog. I believe that this was the real-world inspiration for his name, if I recall correctly.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  05:50:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Another note from Khelben....

"No matter how kindly we ask her to stay her hand, Our Lady of Mysteries is one to forgive Master Geddarm his mortal trespasses and release him from many of his `inconveniences.' Whilst I realize she prefers to have such a rogue `to foment and froth new magics to both conceal and reveal secrets in his wake,' I must confess to enjoy Volo's presence much more as a red-jacketed statue holding a lantern in Elminster's garden a number of summers back..."

I hadn't actually given that one much thought, but I like Khelben's explanation.

quote:

And Wooly, those lists of Volo's prospective manuscripts (published, suppressed, or conjectured) came from my listing of what manuscripts were in Candlekeep.

Yup -- I made a point of linking to the original Candlekeep Collection article. I did credit it to you, but not until several posts later.

And I must say, that one remains one of my fave articles on the WotC site. Why? Because it's pure lore, and books are great for spicing up treasure hordes.

As a side note, in many of the early Volo's Guides there are passing references to Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, always with the parenthetical notation that it's a "suppressed work". Because of that, I've developed the habit of adding, in parentheses, "a formerly suppressed work " when mentioning Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

quote:

No, there's no plans to write any of them, nor were they ever in the planning in real-world ways. They were simply in-world expectations as to what the old boy would be up to and what might've occurred as a result...

I surmised as much, but it was good of you to come confirm it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Feb 2005 05:51:42
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  15:49:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed tells me Volo was freed almost two years ago, Realms-time, but there’s “free” and there’s “free,” if you know what I mean. Readers of Ed’s 2003 Spin A Yarn story know what he was briefly up to (and what most of the Seven Sisters think of him), and Ed tells me he also appears in the ‘thus-far-unseen, but handed in months ago’ 2004 Spin A Yarn story. I know some scribes will leap to tell me these stories aren’t canon, but to them I reply: this is VOLO we’re talking about, people! Volo!
P.S. There are several unpublished New Adventures of Volo DRAGON columns floating around in the WotC vaults, and some HORRIBLE poetry penned by Volo, too. To say nothing of a fragmentary ‘heaving bosoms’ broadsheet serial he started, ere one of his imprisonments . . .
love to all,
THO
P.S. Dargoth: I do believer Zeboaster’s fate is Ed’s next upcoming answer in his Questions thread.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  15:55:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. There are several unpublished New Adventures of Volo DRAGON columns floating around in the WotC vaults, and some HORRIBLE poetry penned by Volo, too. To say nothing of a fragmentary ‘heaving bosoms’ broadsheet serial he started, ere one of his imprisonments . . .
love to all,
THO

Man, I should love to see some of those... Any way we could get WotC to shake those loose, perhaps as a series of Web articles?

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. Dargoth: I do believer Zeboaster’s fate is Ed’s next upcoming answer in his Questions thread.

Dargoth isn't the only one looking forward to that lore.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  16:12:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... I was just compiling all this Volo stuff into one file, so that it's all in one place the next time someone asks. I stumbled across another bit of info, this time about Volo's Guides in the Realms:

quote:
Re. the list commentary on Volo's Guides:
What you the gamer buy is an our-world compilation (that's where Elminster's comments come in...I, Ed of the Greenwood, make them into footnotes) of "chapbooks" published by Volo, and sold in the streets of Waterdeep and in shops of cities and trade-route settlements (Bargewright Inn, for example) throughout the Heartlands.
The chapbooks are several sheets of paper folded in half, and held together with two knots of waxed thread sewn through the folds...making them like very thin, poor-paper versions of the old D&D booklets. One would have to buy about forty of these (in numbered sets, published one a tenday like Dickens, when he was sold outside the pages of Strand Magazine) to assemble a single "Volo's Guide." The maps would be extra, and never in color. Us modern types get such perks.
Price of a single chapbook? Depends on scarcity, demand, location, and condition. For new but fairly scarce, say 1 sp, and go up or down from there....

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  05:47:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly . That's going in my archive as well.

Where did you find it?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  05:51:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also Volo's Guides in the Realms that never got printed as sourcebooks. Steven's Candlekeep Collection lists them. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  06:04:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Thanks Wooly . That's going in my archive as well.

Where did you find it?

That's a good question. It was some Forgotten Realms webpage I stumbled across. They had collated a lot of various bits of lore from the Realms-L mailing list and such, and that was one of those various bits.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  06:06:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

There's also Volo's Guides in the Realms that never got printed as sourcebooks. Steven's Candlekeep Collection lists them. :)

Yup. Not only are those mentioned on the first page of this thread, but I also linked to the article and Steven himself came in and commented on them.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Mar 2005 06:07:15
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  06:20:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Man, I should love to see some of those... Any way we could get WotC to shake those loose, perhaps as a series of Web articles?

It's actually really upsetting to think about all the realmslore Ed has supplied TSR/WotC over the years and yes, been paid for doing so, that haven't actually been published. "Adventures of Volo" articles in DRAGON, the rest of the "Everwinking Eye" articles in POLYHEDRON and no doubt others. The worse thing is that because Ed is an upright, honorable, moral-type guy he can't release the articles in any other form - even though they are probably moldering on his PC hard drive. Sad.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000