Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Volothamp
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  22:55:02  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a 3E version I worked up of Volo -- it is not a direct conversion of his 2E stats because I thought what I did more appropriate to his descriptions, and it does need updating to 3.5E however....

VOLOTHAMP “VOLO” GEDDARM
Male human Exp 2/Wiz 5/Brd 2: CR 8; Medium-size humanoid (human); HD 4d6+5d4+27; hp 56; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 12 (touch 12, flat-footed 10); Atk +5 melee (1d6+1/18-20, rapier), +6 melee (1d4+1/19-20, masterwork dagger), +7 ranged (1d4+1/19-20, masterwork dagger); SQ Bardic music 2/day, bardic knowledge +6, spellcasting; AL CG; SV Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +11; Str 12 (+1), Dex 15 (+2), Con 17 (+3), Int 18 (+4), Wis 11 (+0), Cha 16 (+3); Height 5 ft. 8 in.
Skills: Alchemy +9, Concentration +7, Craft (weaving) +5, Decipher Script +6, Diplomacy +9, Gather Information +7, Knowledge (Arcana) +11, Knowledge (Literature; see Sword and Fist) +6, Knowledge (Local – Amn) +6, Knowledge (Local – Cormyr) +6, Knowledge (Local – Dalelands) +6, Knowledge (Local – Dragon Coast) +6, Knowledge (Local – Moonsea) +6, Knowledge (Local – The North) +6, Knowledge (Local – Sembia) +6, Knowledge (Local – Silver Marches) +6, Knowledge (Local – Tethyr) +6, Knowledge (Local – The Vast) +6, Knowledge (Local – Waterdeep) +7, Knowledge (Local – Western Heartlands) +7, Knowledge (Streetwise, see Sword and Fist) +5, Listen +6, Perform (ballad, dance, storytelling) +6, Profession [brewer) +2, Profession (cook) +3, Profession (scribe) +8, Ride +4, Search +8, Sense Motive +2, Speak Language (Chondathan, Damaran, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven), Spellcraft +11, Spot +6, Wilderness Lore +6.
Feats: Alertness, Brew Potion, Luck of Heroes, Martial Weapon Proficiency (rapier), Scribe Scroll, Smooth Talk, Spell Focus (illusion), Survivor.
Special Qualities: Bard Class Features: Bardic music (inspire courage, countersong, fascinate) 2/day, bardic knowledge +6, Martial Weapon Proficiency (rapier).
Wizard Spells per Day: 4/4/3/2; Base DC = 14 + spell level, 16 + spell level for illusion spells; Caster level 5th.
Spellbook: 0 – arcane mark, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, detect poison, disrupt undead, flare, ghost sound, light, mage hand, mending, open/close, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read magic, resistance; 1 – change self, color spray, mage armor, Nystul’s magic aura, Nystul’s undetectable aura, shield, silent image; 2 – blur, fool’s gold (see below), invisibility, minor image, see invisibility; 3 – clairaudience/clairvoyance, gaseous form, invisibility sphere, major image.
Bard Spells per Day: 3/1; Base DC = 13 + spell level, 15 + spell level for illusion spells; Caster level 2nd.
Bard Spells Known: 5/2; 0 – daze, ghost sound, light, mage hand, prestidigitation; 1 – expeditious retreat, feather fall.
Possessions: +2 ring of necromancy resistance, rod of enemy detection, boots of elvenkind, beast-speaker brooch (with horses), rapier, masterwork dagger, spyglass.

NEW MAGIC ITEMS
Ring of Spell School Resistance: This simple ring offers magic protection in the form of a +2, +4, or +6 resistance bonus against one school of magic’s spells and effects.
Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, resistance; Market Price: 1,000 gp (+2), 4000 (+4), 9,000 (+6).

Beast-Speaker Brooch: This simple brooch is engraved with an elven totem of power that allows its wearer to communicate with any one type of animal such as horses, eagles, wolves, or bears, as the speak with animals spell at will.
Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, speak with animals; Market Price: 6,000 gp.

NEW SPELLS
FOOL’S GOLD
Illusion [Glamer]
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: Metal objects of up to 10 cu. in. in volume/level
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: No

This spell makes metal objects, such as a bronze statue or copper pieces, appear to be gold. The caster can effect 10 cubic inches of metal – the equivalent of about 150 coins – per level. If the caster is trying to effect multiple objects, such as a chest full of coins, the caster only needs to touch one of the objects, providing all of the other effected objects are in contact with one another.
Material Component: A powdered gem of at least 15 gp value sprinkled over the object(s).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2005 :  04:48:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the spell, particularly. I imagine it would be a worthy addition to any merchant-wizard's spellbook or trader's collection of magic scrolls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2005 :  15:32:39  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It's also a conversion of 1E and 2E spell, but I, and it's been a while, seem to recall Volo actually using it in one of the books, so felt it worthy of conversion. :-)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  17:49:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Here is a question for you regarding Learned Scribe Smyther's post about where Volo currently resides.

I checked the FR Wiki and it says that Volo was doing Volo's Guide to Rhyming Incantations in 1371 and Volo's Guide to Good Ruler's in 1374. However, the citation in the bibliography cites the novel Death Masks. I haven't read that novel. Any idea if Volo is mentioned in it regarding his last known works as mentioned above?

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Volothamp_Geddarm

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Here's a bit from The Hooded One:

quote:
Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster’s pond. He’s free again now, and I fear we’ve all not heard the last from Volo. :}

I think that's the most specific info we have on Volo at the moment.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  19:49:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Here is a question for you regarding Learned Scribe Smyther's post about where Volo currently resides.

I checked the FR Wiki and it says that Volo was doing Volo's Guide to Rhyming Incantations in 1371 and Volo's Guide to Good Ruler's in 1374. However, the citation in the bibliography cites the novel Death Masks. I haven't read that novel. Any idea if Volo is mentioned in it regarding his last known works as mentioned above?

No idea. I've not read that one, yet... I love Ed's world-building, but his fiction doesn't work nearly so well for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2020 :  20:30:44  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Fair enough. Any recommendations on who I would best reach out to, to pick their brain on this issue?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

No idea. I've not read that one, yet... I love Ed's world-building, but his fiction doesn't work nearly so well for me.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  01:14:50  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, there was an update about Volo via twitter. As to how he is related to that city.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  01:19:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master TBeholder,

Nice find! Thank you for that share! I love it when the Old Mage gets on Twitter and does his proclamations from the pulpit! :) haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Also, there was an update about Volo via twitter. As to how he is related to that city.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000