Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Writing Realmslore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  00:20:40  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the best way to write realmslore and think of what to write. I am trying to write some for my site Moonwood Forest (http://fatal-masquerade.com or http://moonwood.s1e.info) and I don't know what to write about.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  01:23:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMHO the starting point to writing "good realmslore" is always to know your stuff before you begin writing. That is, if you are writing about the Moonwood, then you do some solid research regarding that locale and track down most if not all the references and write-ups to the place. That in turn usually acts as a springboard to writing because you can expand on material that's received only a mention or scant detail or you can see the 'gaps' in information on the place (who used to live there, who lives there now, what ruins could/should be there etc.) that need filling.

The best realmslore is material that expands upon small references or introduces new material that fits seamlessly and looks like it was 'there all the time'. Some examples of this are Eric Boyd making the Terraseer from the 2E Netheril boxed set a sarrukh lich, Steven Schend giving Khelben Arunsun a huge, involved personal history in the Cormanthyr accessory and my recent favourite: Eric Boyd having the lich Aumvor the Undying from Champions of Ruin put the Crown of Horns into the lap of Laeral in an attempt to enslave her.

Basically, good realmslore is material that doesn't invalidate previous sources and doesn't mystify a reader as to how/why/what questions when they read it. Although it may be a 'cool' idea to have a tower full of Red Wizards of Thay in the Moonwood, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to reconcile it with the current state of the area and the Realms in general (it's actually do-able: I have an idea how as I'm typing in fact).

The best designers and writers don't let a 'good idea' or flash of inspiration blind them to the greater Realms environment they are writing in. What I mean by that is the temptation they succumb to is to have their writing revolve around the 'good idea' which becomes rigid and unchangeable while the greater Realms around it is shaped, distorted or ignored to 'fit'. It should be the other way round, with the greater FR environment fixed (to a large degree) and the 'good idea' altered/shaped to fit.

Anyway, that's my musings on 'good realmslore'. It certainly isn't the "only right way" nor is it likely a viewpoint that most writers or designers would subscribe to - but from my own viewpoint (and it's difficult to give someone else's opinion!) realmslore that adheres to the guidelines I've detailed above, is the realmslore I love reading.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  01:50:05  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met George and thank you for your insight. I was planning on writing something on how as to the library that I created came about but it is relaly hard to find good information on the Moonwood. I was also planning on adding a wizard tower for this one who was exiled from the Hosttower in Luskan for blowing up the south spire in my campaign but I can't find much on Moonwood.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  02:28:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Echoes George's reply and adds this! Ask the fans! There's tons of us who know the lore and where the lore can be found in past and present material. Sometimes we know more then the game designers and or authors do. :)

I know I've had many posters come to me with emails or PM's and ask me does this make sense? If not why doesn't it. Can you help me flush this out without screwing with the established lore, etc. :)

And I expect those that know the lore to do the same to my pieces. Especially for the newsletter for this site.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 May 2005 03:54:06
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  03:34:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordAnki

Well met George and thank you for your insight. I was planning on writing something on how as to the library that I created came about but it is relaly hard to find good information on the Moonwood. I was also planning on adding a wizard tower for this one who was exiled from the Hosttower in Luskan for blowing up the south spire in my campaign but I can't find much on Moonwood.

Well, as the North is one of my pet regions, I'll do a sources check tonight and point you in the right direction. But yes, there isn't much info on the Moonwood which is both a blessing and a curse, as you'll see when attempting to write about it!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  03:57:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Echoes George's reply and adds this! Ask the fans! There's tons of us who know the lore and where the lore can be found in past material. Sometimes we know more then the game designers and or authors do. :)

I know I've had many posters come to me with emails or PM's and ask me does this make sense? If not why doesn't it. Can you help me flush this out without screwing with the established lore, etc. :)

And I expect those that know the lore to do the same to my pieces. Especially for the newsletter for this site.

I'll echo the echoing already present.

I know that I often have to empty my PM box at least once every day to keep up with the requests from scribes looking for specific Realmslore details and the like. It's always a comforting experience to help them out, and at the same time, quite reassuring that these scribes are taking the time to fully research the history and events and other established Realmslore for the places or people they may wish to write about or include in their games.

And like Kuje, I expect the same for my own work. For example, I've still got two pieces that I've been wishing to submit to Candlekeep since last November, but I won't just yet because I feel that there are still places where existing Realmslore may be contradicted by what I've written. So, until I'm completely confident with it, and the scribes I send it to are as well, it will be staying on my desk.

And to finish, an adaptation of an old phrase one of my programming professors used to use... "Knowing the Realmslore, means knowing it". I'll leave you each to discover what that means to you individuallly... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  05:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordAnki

What is the best way to write realmslore and think of what to write. I am trying to write some for my site Moonwood Forest (http://fatal-masquerade.com or http://moonwood.s1e.info) and I don't know what to write about.

First thing I do after deciding where or what Im going to write about is gather all the existing material thats currently out on the topic. Such as source books (1ed, 2ed 3ed), novels and Dungeon and Dragon magazine articles etc

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  02:36:42  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all greatly for your help and for those I have not yet spoken to before well met. Thanks for your help. I will try to look around some more.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  20:16:07  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting George - care to elaborate?

don't suppose it would have anything to do with them uncovering the spell hold of the Covenant would it?

just asking

Cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Although it may be a 'cool' idea to have a tower full of Red Wizards of Thay in the Moonwood, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to reconcile it with the current state of the area and the Realms in general (it's actually do-able: I have an idea how as I'm typing in fact).

-- George Krashos

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  01:24:59  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker LordAnki,

Though I don't write it (but I do write my own overly involved campaigns in the Realms: just ask my players!), I feel the best is to start on a topic that relates to the casual, every day person the best. I wrote a campaign called, "A Troubled Economy", based out Durpar. The reality was, as the economy started shutting down due to a plethora of smart villains unfolding scheme after scheme in a determined manner, it created all manner of problems.

They were economic problems. Not enough food on the table, people losing jobs, shipped goods not coming in, etc. The economy, and basic things that effect the basic person strike a nerve with the common person. They can relate to it in a real around the table sort of a way: like we do on a daily basis in the real world.

From there, I definitely believe Great Reader Krashos is correct. Know your stuff, research it, make it believable. Make certain it passes the smell test and run it by people to make certain it does. :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

IMHO the starting point to writing "good realmslore" is always to know your stuff before you begin writing. That is, if you are writing about the Moonwood, then you do some solid research regarding that locale and track down most if not all the references and write-ups to the place. That in turn usually acts as a springboard to writing because you can expand on material that's received only a mention or scant detail or you can see the 'gaps' in information on the place (who used to live there, who lives there now, what ruins could/should be there etc.) that need filling.

The best realmslore is material that expands upon small references or introduces new material that fits seamlessly and looks like it was 'there all the time'. Some examples of this are Eric Boyd making the Terraseer from the 2E Netheril boxed set a sarrukh lich, Steven Schend giving Khelben Arunsun a huge, involved personal history in the Cormanthyr accessory and my recent favourite: Eric Boyd having the lich Aumvor the Undying from Champions of Ruin put the Crown of Horns into the lap of Laeral in an attempt to enslave her.

Basically, good realmslore is material that doesn't invalidate previous sources and doesn't mystify a reader as to how/why/what questions when they read it. Although it may be a 'cool' idea to have a tower full of Red Wizards of Thay in the Moonwood, it would be difficult (but not impossible) to reconcile it with the current state of the area and the Realms in general (it's actually do-able: I have an idea how as I'm typing in fact).

The best designers and writers don't let a 'good idea' or flash of inspiration blind them to the greater Realms environment they are writing in. What I mean by that is the temptation they succumb to is to have their writing revolve around the 'good idea' which becomes rigid and unchangeable while the greater Realms around it is shaped, distorted or ignored to 'fit'. It should be the other way round, with the greater FR environment fixed (to a large degree) and the 'good idea' altered/shaped to fit.

Anyway, that's my musings on 'good realmslore'. It certainly isn't the "only right way" nor is it likely a viewpoint that most writers or designers would subscribe to - but from my own viewpoint (and it's difficult to give someone else's opinion!) realmslore that adheres to the guidelines I've detailed above, is the realmslore I love reading.

-- George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000