Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for anthology authors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:30:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a authors of the upcoming Realms of Dragons II novel anthology. The complete author list is not yet known (please contact me if you are an author within this collection). Currently, we are graced with the presence of Ed Gentry, James P Davis, Kameron M Franklin, Murray Leeder, Erin Tettensor, J L Collins, Harley Stroh, Jaleigh J and Jim Pitrat.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of these authors.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 20 Feb 2005 21:18:37

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  18:21:13  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this anthology really has me intrigued. It's quite exciting to know that the novel is made up of stories by Realms fans who entered the open call. It will be interesting to see the different writing styles and different takes on the Realms.

First things first.... can the authors possible post here the name of their story and maybe a brief description of what its about, or what dragon\area of the Realms is covered in the story?

::eagerly awaits in anticipation::

Any chance of a complete story\author list for this book?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  19:09:52  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. To tell you the truth, Rad, I'm not sure what we're allowed to say. The release is still several months away, after all.

I'm sure it doesn't breach too many state secrets to say that my story is meant entirely as humour, featuring a neurotic dragon protagonist.

Whether it's actually funny is another matter...
Go to Top of Page

EdGentry
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  19:21:43  Show Profile  Visit EdGentry's Homepage Send EdGentry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erin beat me to it. *snap*

Ahh well. Heya Erin

Thank you for this opportunity, Alaundo.

I saw some of the authors in RotDI answer some questions before the release of that volume, so I'll limit my response to what I saw them say. I figure that should be safe.

My story is called "Freedom's Promise" and it takes place in the desert Raurin. My dragon is a blue. The story examines the ideas of greed and freedom and how the two can sometimes be volatile when mixed.

I've told a couple of the other authors I know about this forum and hopefully they'll stop by soon.

http://www.edgentry.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  22:40:39  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

I've told a couple of the other authors I know about this forum and hopefully they'll stop by soon.

Well met

Thank ye greatly, Ed, much appreciated. I certainly hope they stop by.

Thank ye both for the information to date. Oh, Erin, now Ed has spilled the beans regarding his tale, it looks like ye can say a little more about thine

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  22:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll only repeat what I've said about mine before. It's called "The Strength of the Jester" and concerns a mercury dragon and his elf ally, drawn into a corner of Kara's conspiracy. From what I hear, it will probably be the only story in the anthology to directly tie-in with the Year of Rogue Dragons. It takes place in three locations: Beregost, the Forest of Amtar and another which I won't be revealing just now...
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  23:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My story is called "How Burlmarr saved the Unseen Protector". It features a famous gold dragon of the North, but focuses on the "little people" in his life. I'll leave it at that and let you Realms scholars fill in the necessary blanks.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  23:09:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

My story is called "How Burlmarr saved the Unseen Protector". It features a famous gold dragon of the North, but focuses on the "little people" in his life. I'll leave it at that and let you Realms scholars fill in the necessary blanks.

Hmm, pixies, sprites and gnomes?

It will be interesting to discover which little people matter to a gold.
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  00:17:32  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Could this be based off something Ed of the Greenwood happened to write?
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  02:06:05  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE
Could this be based off something Ed of the Greenwood happened to write?

Yes, actually, an article of his was the central inspiration (and research source) for the story.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  13:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, Erin, now Ed has spilled the beans regarding his tale, it looks like ye can say a little more about thine

Ah, well, since I have thy blessing, Alaundo...

My story takes place in the jungles of Chult, and it concerns a four-inch faerie dragon suffering from an overactive imagination and acute separation anxiety.

It also involves a cranky mist dragon and some very silly deeds.

The premise basically started with a question: What if a six-ton dragon covered himself in mud, grabbed a few tree branches, and stood on his hind legs...

Well, not really. But the question is answered, nonetheless...

Edited by - Erin Tettensor on 28 Jan 2005 14:02:49
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  14:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erin Tettensor

quote:
Oh, Erin, now Ed has spilled the beans regarding his tale, it looks like ye can say a little more about thine

My story takes place in the jungles of Chult, and it concerns a four-inch faerie dragon suffering from an overactive imagination and acute separation anxiety.

The premise basically started with a question: What if a six-ton dragon covered himself in mud, grabbed a few tree branches, and stood on his hind legs...

Well met

Wonderful, wonderful I adore faerie dragons (except when they play tricks on me and hide my tomes of lore ), so will certainly be looking forward to this tale.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  00:54:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now that sounds like a promising tale! The Realms need more silly deeds done.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  01:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Wonderful, wonderful I adore faerie dragons (except when they play tricks on me and hide my tomes of lore ), so will certainly be looking forward to this tale.

This particular faerie dragon probably wouldn't hide your tomes, Alaundo, so much as accidentally turn them pink.

Think of a magician who is trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat, but instead sets the hat on fire...
Go to Top of Page

J L Collins
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  04:03:28  Show Profile  Visit J L Collins's Homepage Send J L Collins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank-you for the invitation Alaundo, and thank-you for your technical assistance as well. Of all the message boards on the internet, what poor irony that Candlekeep would prove to be one I had difficulty with.

I also have a story that will appear in the anthology, and it is titled "A Tall Tale."

I'd hate to spoil all the fun, but I will say my story allows the reader to join a debate between several realms youth, where they discuss what they know, and what they think they know regarding dragons.

I had a lot of fun writing the story, and I hope everyone enjoys reading it. I myself cannot wait to read what my fellow contributors have written. I think the stories will be very enjoyable.

Thank-you everyone for your support.

"Create, don't replicate... and remember, thinking is not doing."

www.jl-collins.com

Edited by - J L Collins on 29 Jan 2005 04:07:44
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  06:32:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J L Collins
I'd hate to spoil all the fun, but I will say my story allows the reader to join a debate between several realms youth, where they discuss what they know, and what they think they know regarding dragons.

Now that does sound like fun. Are these human youths? elven? half-elven? mix?
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  07:02:08  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
First things first.... can the authors possible post here the name of their story and maybe a brief description of what its about, or what dragon\area of the Realms is covered in the story?

Well, my story is called "Possessions" and takes place in Tethyr. I'd like to tell more, but I'd hate to ruin any of the mystery involved in it...

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

J L Collins
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  07:49:06  Show Profile  Visit J L Collins's Homepage Send J L Collins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Now that does sound like fun. Are these human youths? elven? half-elven? mix?

Now, that seems rather close-minded, doesn't it? Only humans or elves or half-elves would discuss dragons in excited gasps and hushed tones?

What about the poor Duergar? Doesn't he wonder what it would be like to soar on a dragon's back? High above the clouds, wind in his greasy, matted hair, the sun shining brightly... okay, bad example.

How about the forlorn illithid? Daydreaming in his boring psionics/realms-literature class, wishing he could touch those gleaming scales just once. To gaze into those deep, commanding eyes, smell that wet, succulent brain, feast on that juicy, tender morsel...

Okay, fine, there might be humans in my story. Happy?

"Create, don't replicate... and remember, thinking is not doing."

www.jl-collins.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  10:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This particular faerie dragon probably wouldn't hide your tomes, Alaundo, so much as accidentally turn them pink.

Think of a magician who is trying to pull a rabbit out of his hat, but instead sets the hat on fire...

GACK! ARGH! Quick, increase the ward strength on flame prohibition in the libary!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  10:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank-you for the invitation Alaundo, and thank-you for your technical assistance as well. Of all the message boards on the internet, what poor irony that Candlekeep would prove to be one I had difficulty with.

Well met

Welcome, J L Collins. Glad ye could make it after all. ::drops a little extra oil on the hinges of the Candlekeep gates::

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  13:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How about the forlorn illithid? Daydreaming in his boring psionics/realms-literature class, wishing he could touch those gleaming scales just once. To gaze into those deep, commanding eyes, smell that wet, succulent brain, feast on that juicy, tender morsel...

I offer my non-existent firstborn to anyone who can pull off writing an illithid as a primary viewpoint character. (Okay, EC did in Tangled Webs. But I don't think she's interested in firstborns.) Or a whole book featuring an illithid protagonist who escapes the evil of his people and goes to the surface. Wielding two crystal katanas.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  16:26:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox
Or a whole book featuring an illithid protagonist who escapes the evil of his people and goes to the surface. Wielding two crystal katanas.

That sounds familiar....
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  17:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the subject of protagonists, it seems to me there was a thread a while back wondering how many of the stories in Realms of the Dragons I featured dragons as the main POV character. When it comes to RotDII, I can't be sure, but I get the impression that the answer is quite a few.
Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  18:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a authors of the upcoming Realms of Dragons II novel anthology. The complete author list is not yet known (please contact me if you are an author within this collection).

I guess this is the place for me, then. Thank you for the invite, Alaundo. Truly, a wondrous place you have here. I could spend weeks exploring. :)

Just my two bits, my name is Jaleigh Johnson, another newcomer in the RotDII anthology. My story is "Queen of the Mountain," and I hope people enjoy it. Just from the teasers I've read on these boards, I can't wait to read the whole book. :)

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  19:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.
Just from the teasers I've read on these boards, I can't wait to read the whole book. :)

I'll say. I think I'm in good company. Welcome, Jaleigh. Will you give us some hints about your tale?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  21:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jaleigh J.

quote:

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a authors of the upcoming Realms of Dragons II novel anthology. The complete author list is not yet known (please contact me if you are an author within this collection).

I guess this is the place for me, then. Thank you for the invite, Alaundo. Truly, a wondrous place you have here. I could spend weeks exploring. :)

Just my two bits, my name is Jaleigh Johnson, another newcomer in the RotDII anthology. My story is "Queen of the Mountain," and I hope people enjoy it. Just from the teasers I've read on these boards, I can't wait to read the whole book. :)

Well met

Welcome to Candlekeep, Jaleigh J, a pleasure to have ye here in the library. Indeed, as Murray stated, please tell us more of thy tale

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Jaleigh J.
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  03:30:57  Show Profile  Visit Jaleigh J.'s Homepage Send Jaleigh J. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Welcome to Candlekeep, Jaleigh J, a pleasure to have ye here in the library. Indeed, as Murray stated, please tell us more of thy tale

Well, following the example of everyone above...my dragon is an Amethyst, and the story is about the legacies of dragons, how people profit--and suffer--from them. And I don't just mean their treasure hoards. ;)

-Jaleigh Johnson

http://www.jaleighjohnson.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jaleigh_johnson
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  04:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. This definately sounds interesting, all these dragons...
Would anybody happen to know what anthologies are still accepting submissions? Realms of the Elves? Realms of the Dragons II? Others? There is always a little glimmer of hope...

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  05:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WotC actually slates out their authors long before fans ever hear about the books. If you're interested in writing for them, I'd suggest checking out their submission guidelines on the website. Basically, you send in a short story and if they like it, they'll contact you about a future opportunity. They don't actually accept unsolicited stories for publication.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2005 :  18:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

I thought I'd jump on this bandwagon as well. I'll post the bit about my story that I put on the Worlds website:

My tale, "The Hunting Game," is about a good-hearted bard in the wrong place at the wrong time who gets mixed up in a dragon hunt, led by a smoldering, seductive dragonslayer with a katana, Thayan armor, and a chip on her shoulder large enough to gut a great wyrm. He's in way over his head, but so are they all.

And I use as my dragon, of course, the ever-classic, RED.

I must confess that my story isn't about humorous antics and hijinks -- it's just straight action, intrigue, and passion. All that good stuff. ('Course, it wouldn't be the realms without its fair share of witty reparte and blushing.)

db

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2005 :  18:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WotC actually slates out their authors long before fans ever hear about the books. If you're interested in writing for them, I'd suggest checking out their submission guidelines on the website. Basically, you send in a short story and if they like it, they'll contact you about a future opportunity. They don't actually accept unsolicited stories for publication.

I'll second that. Wizards is always on the lookout for new talent, so if you're interested in writing for them send a general sample of your writing (they'll look for style and ability, mostly), per the instructions on their site, and if they want your stuff, they'll tell you where to go from there.

db

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000