Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for anthology authors

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 26 Jan 2005 : 23:30:42
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a authors of the upcoming Realms of Dragons II novel anthology. The complete author list is not yet known (please contact me if you are an author within this collection). Currently, we are graced with the presence of Ed Gentry, James P Davis, Kameron M Franklin, Murray Leeder, Erin Tettensor, J L Collins, Harley Stroh, Jaleigh J and Jim Pitrat.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of these authors.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Jun 2006 : 15:14:55
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Congratulations to Harley Stroh on his new job in the gaming industry.

Hear hear!

Cheers
SiriusBlack Posted - 26 Jun 2006 : 12:04:42
Congratulations to Harley Stroh on his new job in the gaming industry.
Lord Rad Posted - 11 Jun 2005 : 09:45:23
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Well, a few of us have novels in the works -- Kam's put out Maiden of Pain this month, Ghostwalker (by me) is coming out in December / end of November, Bloodwalk (James P. Davis) and Son of Thunder (Murray Leeder) are coming out in 2006. Some of us are in the Realms of the Elves anthology (me, I know, not sure who else), which is in February.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head. . . Maybe more. If there are any game products in the works, I know of them not.

Cheers

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I'm very excited about these upcoming novels. Initially I wasn't intrigued but the idea has really grown on me. I think that my initially thoughts were probably down to the quite non-descript series title. "Fighters" doesn't exactly say much... afterall, most characters we read of in FR novels are fighters in one way or another The need to follow suit with a class group for the novels appears a little forced. Anyway, thats very minor and i'm really looking forward to them all

I'm glad to hear that some of you are writing for Realms of Elves too. This is probably the most anticipated FR anthology for me! Can't wait!

So those who don't have novels due.... were you just contracted for a single short story in RotDII or are there negotiations underway with WotC? Sorry if this is prying too much, just ignore if so
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 18:51:11
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Are any of you guys working on anything Realms related following RotD2?

Well, a few of us have novels in the works -- Kam's put out Maiden of Pain this month, Ghostwalker (by me) is coming out in December / end of November, Bloodwalk (James P. Davis) and Son of Thunder (Murray Leeder) are coming out in 2006. Some of us are in the Realms of the Elves anthology (me, I know, not sure who else), which is in February.

That's what comes to mind off the top of my head. . . Maybe more. If there are any game products in the works, I know of them not.

Cheers

Paec_djinn Posted - 10 Jun 2005 : 13:50:47
Are any of you guys working on anything Realms related following RotD2?
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 03 Jun 2005 : 23:13:54
Awesome. Congratulations on both the article and the book signing.
J L Collins Posted - 03 Jun 2005 : 23:02:19
This is just a link to a modest article appearing my local community newspaper. Like the newspaper article that Kameron M. Franklin particiated in for his novel, there are a few factual errors, but nothing that can't be forgiven.

Vernon Morning Star:

http://vernonmorningstar.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=35&cat=47&id=436697&more=
Jaleigh J. Posted - 08 May 2005 : 04:20:37
I have a personal/writing-related website at:

http://www.angelfire.com/or/OnyxV/index.html

I try to update it when I can.
Harley Stroh Posted - 07 May 2005 : 21:18:28
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

Just wondering if the authors of RotD2 have all got Blogs or Websites? I know Erik and Ed have blogs

Ed Gentry has a blog and forum at:
http://www.edgentry.com/

Ed's place is under major renovation. Can't wait to see the new digs!

I have a blog/sounding board at:
http://choosedeath.blogspot.com/

Little known fact: Elaine Cunningham also has a blog up at
http://elvenbard.blogspot.com/
and she posts more than the rest of us combined. :)
Jim Pitrat Posted - 07 May 2005 : 16:16:02
I don't have any sort of blog. I am hesitant to set one up. It is difficult enough to find time to write and I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone.

I finally picked up a copy of RotDII and found it pretty cool (still waiting on comp copies, but got impatient). The stories are all great. Not sure which I liked best...guess I have to pick them all.

Looking forward to Maiden too...Kameran, Your excerpt was quite Tantalizing. Thanks for that.
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 07 May 2005 : 11:43:27
I started a blog last April to track my progress on Maiden. It's grown into a full-fledged website since then. www.kameronmf.com
Tremaine Posted - 07 May 2005 : 11:34:32
Just wondering if the authors of RotD2 have all got Blogs or Websites? I know Erik and Ed have blogs
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 May 2005 : 05:41:58
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

[Strums a high note on his yartang]

"This may seem redundant, it may seem crass,
My sense might falter, my timing seem lax,
RotDII's out today*, so rush Borders en masse,
Snag it real soon, or a red'll burn your. . ."

*ahem*

Bass?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 04 May 2005 : 04:48:17
[Strums a high note on his yartang]

"This may seem redundant, it may seem crass,
My sense might falter, my timing seem lax,
RotDII's out today*, so rush Borders en masse,
Snag it real soon, or a red'll burn your. . ."

*ahem*

Just chipping in on publicity.

*And by today, I mean 11 or so hours ago, PST, that is May 3.

Cheers
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 May 2005 : 21:54:06
quote:
Originally posted by Harley Stroh

quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder
The funny thing is that, when I wrote for Realms of Shadow, I was given twenty-four, yes twenty-four copies of the anthology. More than I've ever been able to deal with, really; at least seven or eight are sitting in a pile in Calgary even now.

Heh. After my run in with a fifth grade class (I was ambushed), I could use 30 or so copies of the antho. I wonder if there is a contributor's in-house discount ...

We can only dream. I was thinking of telling the folks at Borders what's up, but no. I figured they could look at the credit card statement, and that our fame was widely spread. But no.

Cheers
Harley Stroh Posted - 02 May 2005 : 19:14:47
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder
The funny thing is that, when I wrote for Realms of Shadow, I was given twenty-four, yes twenty-four copies of the anthology. More than I've ever been able to deal with, really; at least seven or eight are sitting in a pile in Calgary even now.

Heh. After my run in with a fifth grade class (I was ambushed), I could use 30 or so copies of the antho. I wonder if there is a contributor's in-house discount ...
Paec_djinn Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 09:15:22
I wished the bookstores in my country would start receiving shipments earlier. 3-6 months later isn't very satisfying to an impatient Realms fan.

But nonetheless, at least the coming exams should slow down my Realms consumption. Three books in queue as of now: Thornhold, The Rite and Mistress of the Night.
James P. Davis Posted - 27 Apr 2005 : 07:04:35
RotD2 News Flash #2: The Barnes and Noble here in Shreveport just received 20 copies of the anthology. Let the hunt begin!

--James
Murray Leeder Posted - 24 Apr 2005 : 01:17:55
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

Quoted from Murray Leeder:
quote:
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that for an anthology, it's just six.

You are not wrong. The contract states that six copies will be given to each of us.

Does that mean Murray Leeder needs to give 18 back?

Nah, I got twenty-four copies for Realms of Shadow, and will get six for Realms of the Dragons Also.
Kentinal Posted - 23 Apr 2005 : 20:51:29
quote:
Originally posted by EdGentry

quote:
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that for an anthology, it's just six.

You are not wrong. The contract states that six copies will be given to each of us.

Does that mean Murray Leeder needs to give 18 back?
EdGentry Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 21:10:42
quote:

Murray Leeder Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 17:09:49
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin

IIRC from the contract, WotC will provide authors with a couple free copies, but not as many as for writing a novel.

The funny thing is that, when I wrote for Realms of Shadow, I was given twenty-four, yes twenty-four copies of the anthology. More than I've ever been able to deal with, really; at least seven or eight are sitting in a pile in Calgary even now. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that for an anthology, it's six. An easier number to manage.

I don't know if the Hasbro takeover in the meantime is what made the difference, but I wonder.
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 16:49:06
IIRC from the contract, WotC will provide authors with a couple free copies, but not as many as for writing a novel.
SiriusBlack Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 16:15:00
quote:
Originally posted by James P. Davis

RotD2 News Flash:

Barnes and Noble warehouses have just received the first shipments of the anthology. Copies should be showing up on shelves any day now. Hoody Hoo!

Please Amazon show me that you have improved and get this into your warehouses soon.

And here's a question for the anthology authors out there from this tome. Do you get a copy from WOTC or are you stuck purchasing the novel from the stores like the rest of us?

Looking forward to the novel.

SB
The Sage Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 15:51:43
quote:

RotD2 News Flash:

Barnes and Noble warehouses have just received the first shipments of the anthology. Copies should be showing up on shelves any day now. Hoody Hoo!

Neato . Or is it Bink! Either way, I'm heading over to my local bookstores for more draconic goodness.

Thanks for the details Mr Davis .
Alaundo Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 08:23:27
quote:

RotD2 News Flash:

::flattens himself against the corridor to avoid the mad rush of scribes::

Thank ye for the update, James. I'm certainly looking forward to this tome
James P. Davis Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 06:36:01
RotD2 News Flash:

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 22 Apr 2005 : 03:51:04
Not so much DRAGON obsession of youth, but the case can be made that I was pretty fantasy obsessed.

For instance.....

You remember the Hobbit, the cartoon? The cartoon movie with the loveable/scary animation and the Greatest Adventure? You are speaking to someone who can proudly say that he watched said movie 12 times within 4 days. Yes, yes, that's right: 12 times in a third as many days. Followed, of course, almost every time, by Flight of Dragons. YEE-HA! And only half the time it was my kid brother's idea. (And I can't say I was terribly young at the time, either. Darn those cutie dwarfs!)

You are also conversing with the once-youth who SINGLEHANDEDLY got both Magic: the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons banned, in any form, absolutely and forever, from his Boy Scout troupe because of, hmm, shall we say, "excessive" play in the tent. And a trifle bit of animated conversation on the trails.

Also the once-child who thought his dog Brandy was some sort of mechanical dragon and used to run around the backyard pretending to be a transformer (part sports car, authentic sound effects and everything, robot in disguise) in a vein attempt to elude said dragon. Where I was going, I don't know. In circles, maybe.

There. That's it for confessional hour.

Until I remember another one.

Cheers
EdGentry Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 20:43:39
I remember liking dragons as much as any little boy did, but can only recall one particular event involving one...though it lasted several years. Below is the description of that event in my life as was once posted on Elaine Cunningham's Dragon Blog. I'll warn that it's a tad lengthy.
---------------------

Have you ever seen those little utility doors in older houses? You know the ones I mean. They’re two to three feet tall, maybe two feet wide, built into the outer wall of a room usually for maintenance access, but most people just use them as miniature storage closets. These child-sized doors can be pretty strange for kids, as I learned at my grandpa’s house.

When I was very young my grandpa had an older, large three-story house. The finished basement #61485; or den, as we in middle-America insist upon calling it #61485; was where I spent most of my time as that was where the television and other recreational devices were kept. The main floor included all the basics: kitchen, living room, master and guest bedrooms. The third floor, however, was a bit strange.

A door in the kitchen opened onto a narrow staircase which led up to the finished attic. As you reached the top of the stairs, it would always hit you anew: the carpet was red. All of the carpet up there was red. Bright red. In a wicker chair next to one of the guest beds sat the creepiest red and white stuffed panda bear with soulless, orange plastic eyes that you’ve ever seen. Of course, this assumes that you’ve ever seen a creepy red and white stuffed panda bear with soulless, orange plastic eyes to serve as a basis for comparison. If you have not, I envy you. I hated the third floor with its red carpet, frilly white curtains and demonic panda bears. I hated it because I was afraid of it. Yet grandpa’s house held a horror well beyond these.

It was the doors. Those terrible, tiny doors. I understood what a door was and that was that. A door should be tall and wide and have a big handle. These tiny doors were different -- bad different. They were my size, built at my level. What in the world did that mean? Was I meant to go in there? Did whatever was in there want me to go in?

If you dared to open one of the doors, the darkness inside was so thick that you could not see more than a few feet inside. It could go back for ten feet or two hundred feet. Never mind that the house was only so big to begin with. This is unimportant in child logic.

But what really made these little doors so scary? The same thing that makes a lot of stuff scary to a child: The stories of big sisters and older cousins. These two girls, M and M, found it amusing to tell me and my cousin T about what “lived” behind those doors.

At first it was a magical, maniacal dwarf, or possibly a leprechaun #61485; they never seemed able to decide which he was #61485; who loved to torment little boys, they told us. I was less than impressed. Scared? Oh my, yes. Terrified? Not so much. It was just a dwarf, or possibly a leprechaun, after all. I was a big kid who could carry my own sister around on my shoulders even though she was five years older than me, so I could handle a magical, maniacal dwarf, or possibly a leprechaun. Occasionally the demented girls would embellish the story, frightening T even worse, and I would fling open both of the doors to assure him that there was no dwarf or leprechaun anywhere to be found. One day M and M suggested that the dwarf or leprechaun had simply gone out on errands. I dismissed the notion quickly. T was less apt to do so.

Eventually those mean, mean girls pushed their story even further. They told T and me that the dwarf or leprechaun had moved on to bigger and better things. (Looking back now, I think perhaps he went into showbiz.) They then announced that a new occupant had moved into the space behind the tiny, mysterious doors in the awful red room.

A dragon. A huge, enormous, gargantuan dragon. A fire-breathing, eat-you-like-you-were-a-tasty-potato-chip, dragon. How could a dragon fit through such a small door? Who cares? It’s a dragon! It’s huge and scaly with teeth bigger than my head. Oh, and did I mention that it flies?! Flies! You’re not safe anywhere, even in the sky, assuming you could somehow find a perch in the wild blue yonder. The vicious girls had wished to terrify me and they had succeeded.

This was before I had seen Pete’s Dragon, the movie that saved dragons from the fate of a permanent bad reputation with its animated story of the bond between a boy and his lavender-haired dragon that only Disney could tell. I only knew what books, television, and other movies had told me about dragons. Of course, let’s not forget the mean older girls adding in some defining aspects of the beast. Aspects too horrible to mention here.

My younger cousin was no help, of course. If dwarves or leprechauns terrified him, you can only imagine how much more the thought of a dragon behind the door did. I was alone on this one.

We visited my grandpa frequently in those days, probably six times a year or more. Nearly two years passed before I could even sit down in front of those diminutive doors again, and another few visits after that until I could open one - and then only for a split second. Eventually, however, I did open them wide and look intently inside. Gloom obscured the far edges, though my maturing mind told me that it couldn’t have gone more than eight feet deep. I went downstairs to get a flashlight from the kitchen, thinking it would be fun to finally see exactly what was in that clinging darkness. Back upstairs, I flung open the tiny doors, slightly giddy with anticipation. I stopped suddenly as a thought occurred to me: If I flashed a beam of bright light into that gloom…I might wake up that dragon! I shut the door, flew down the stairs in a blur, and retuned the flashlight to its drawer.

To this day, two decades later, I hate those little doors, and every time I visit my grandpa, I am still glad that he has since moved to another house. So is T.

Erin Tettensor Posted - 21 Apr 2005 : 18:55:25
I can’t recall any particular fascination with dragons stemming from my childhood. But I do remember a certain incident at my aunt and uncle’s lakeside cabin involving a dragon.

Ever the industrious type, I had whiled away an entire day at the beach meticulously sculpting a horse-sized dragon out of compliant lake sand. (Virtually cement, that stuff – I actually used a butter knife to carve the bony ridges of its snout.) I’ve always been a very arty sort of girl, and my creation was pretty darn good, if I say so myself. My muse was also goosed by alcohol -- it was a hot day, and given that this little project took about six hours, there was a goodly amount of beer involved.

Pretty soon, I had attracted a large crowd of ooh-ers and aah-ers. “What’s his name?” someone finally asked.

I thought about this for a moment before christening him “Pifft.”
“What kind of name is that?” the crowd wanted to know.
Quietly, so the kiddies couldn’t hear, I explained that it was in homage to the two inspirations for my creation: half Puff, half pissed.

Classy.

*DISCLAIMER* I was well over the age of majority at the time, and do not recommend drinking as a source of inspiration. *END DISCLAIMER*

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000