Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Wil Upchurch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  09:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a game designer of the Realms, namely - Wil Upchurch. Wil has worked on the upcoming Champions of Ruin sourcebook as well as the Silverymoon: Gem of the North netbook project and Dungeon Adventures.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  14:45:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Champions of Ruin isn't upcoming for some of us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  14:48:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... That's it Rupert. Remind me that my copy's still on the way... .

::Shakes virtual fist defiantly at the Furry Hamster::

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  01:56:31  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Wil! It's great to see after all the work you did for us in Project: Silverymoon that you've made it into the Realms! Once I get my copy of Champions of Ruin, I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you!

Paul

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  08:20:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, once it hits our distant shores we'll no doubt enjoy grill ... err ... asking you questions.

On CoR what part of the book did you enjoy writing the most, what was the hardest, and was there any stuff that didn't make "the cut" that you could enlighten us about?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  13:27:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely, I haven't heard any recent updates about when CoR will arrive here...

Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  20:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, once it hits our distant shores we'll no doubt enjoy grill ... err ... asking you questions.

On CoR what part of the book did you enjoy writing the most, what was the hardest, and was there any stuff that didn't make "the cut" that you could enlighten us about?

-- George Krashos

First, howdy Paul! Glad I could "work for y'all" on Project: Silverymoon. ;) You'll be seeing a link to some of that work coming up in Dungeon. *teaser alert!*

Howdy George, after you savaged the preview materials, I decided to hijack the Australian shipments of the book. They are currently being held in a dungeon beneath my tower. :p

I really enjoyed fleshing out the prestige classes, I like the new long format quite a bit. There weren't any particularly difficult parts to write, but I certainly did more research for this project than I have any other (even that wasn't too bad, since I've been running the Realms for 20 years like most everyone here :) ). Updating the elder evils was fun, too, despite the grousing going on about them being "pathetically weak." :)

There wasn't much of my stuff cut in the final draft...I think it lost one prestige class linked to the Xanathar Thieves' Guild which I thought was cool. Looking at the Nightmask Deathbringer, then thinking about who runs the XTG will give you a hint as to what the PrC was like.

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:11:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wil_Upchurch
Howdy George, after you savaged the preview materials, I decided to hijack the Australian shipments of the book. They are currently being held in a dungeon beneath my tower. :p

Aha, you're the culprit! And I couldn't resist savaging the preview materials because I can't wait to get my copy of the book and the website gave me nothing to salivate over: I was waiting for an example of an evil node, or a look at one of the new format PrCs, or even an Elder Evil. So, apologies if I ruffled a few feathers (I seem to do that a lot when in fervent anticipation of an FR product) - can you release the stuff to Australia now?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br

That sounds like an Adventure to me!

George! Sage! Lets us found an Adventuring party to libertate these Holy (Or given the contents of COR Unholy) relics from Wils Vile grasp!!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:49:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There wasn't much of my stuff cut in the final draft...I think it lost one prestige class linked to the Xanathar Thieves' Guild which I thought was cool.
Wil, from your view, how likely is it that we'd see such a class feature in a web enhancement in the near future?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

There wasn't much of my stuff cut in the final draft...I think it lost one prestige class linked to the Xanathar Thieves' Guild which I thought was cool.
Wil, from your view, how likely is it that we'd see such a class feature in a web enhancement in the near future?

I was thinking they may have nicked it for City of Splendors/Web Enhancement

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  03:04:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be nice.

I'm not normally so particular about PrCs in general, but I find that a class linked to the Xanathar Thieves' Guild does sound intriguing.

I suppose I could just copple together a class on my own. Any possible ideas you could suggest, Wil?

Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  04:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know, have they ever given something as meaty as a full PrC as a Web enhancement? I hadn't thought about it as a Waterdeep addition, but I suppose that might be a good guess. Or perhaps they just decided it wasn't very good. :)

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  04:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Aha, you're the culprit! And I couldn't resist savaging the preview materials because I can't wait to get my copy of the book and the website gave me nothing to salivate over: I was waiting for an example of an evil node, or a look at one of the new format PrCs, or even an Elder Evil. So, apologies if I ruffled a few feathers (I seem to do that a lot when in fervent anticipation of an FR product) - can you release the stuff to Australia now?

-- George Krashos

Hehe, yeah, that would be me. I've been at this too long to take umbrage at comments on the Web, but I certainly pay attention to what the legendary sages of the Realms have to say about my stuff.

"Keiko, tell the troglodytes to bring those Australian shipments up from the dungeons, and clean out the otyugh lair while you're down there!"

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  04:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be nice.

I'm not normally so particular about PrCs in general, but I find that a class linked to the Xanathar Thieves' Guild does sound intriguing.

I suppose I could just copple together a class on my own. Any possible ideas you could suggest, Wil?

Tell you what, if it doesn't come out in conjunction with Waterdeep, maybe I'll throw out a few ideas, but for now I don't want to inadvertantly preview anything they've got coming. :)

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  05:26:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that's completely understandable. Thanks for the details Wil .

As it is, I'll just wait to see what's coming up for the web enhancements for both CoR and and the upcoming CoS, and if it doesn't look likely, I'll present my own PrC with support material from both sourcebooks.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  08:30:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure it's not in the WE for Waterdeep, as I had a sneaky peek the other day. So feel free to give us some details, Wil!

Oh, and don't mind what I say about your FR writings - if you've done a good job, I won't say anything!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  09:33:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That would be nice.

Tell you what, if it doesn't come out in conjunction with Waterdeep, maybe I'll throw out a few ideas, but for now I don't want to inadvertantly preview anything they've got coming. :)

Feel free

Ed Bonny posted some of the stuff he wrote for LEOF that was cut from the book

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  16:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty sure it's not in the WE for Waterdeep, as I had a sneaky peek the other day. So feel free to give us some details, Wil!

Oh, and don't mind what I say about your FR writings - if you've done a good job, I won't say anything!

-- George Krashos

Now if only we can get confirmation that it's not in the CoR WE or the Waterdeep book itself! :)

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2064 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  18:46:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now if only we can get confirmation that it's not in the CoR WE or the Waterdeep book itself! :)

Unless something wildly unexpected happens, i's not in the CoS:W web enhancement, the CoR:W web enhancement, or City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  03:38:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, upon my first run through I like this product quite a bit. It's got a few hidden gems IMHO in the shadow and evil node sections. On those, and I'm not sure that you wrote them up Wil, but it states that people who are 'attuned' to an evil node can do all sorts of things. I didn't have a chance last night to grab my Underdark accessory, but am I right in assuming that this attunement process is detailed there?

Following that, I've got a few queries re the ability for an attuned individual to 'trap' a creature in an evil node. Assuming I trap something/someone in the node, does that trapping last forever until I rescind it? Does it last even after I'm dead? Can you be undead and attuned to the evil node and hence able to trap someone/something?

It's just that I've got a little project on foot that evil nodes and trapping creatures will suit to a tee but the timeframe of the trapping situation is important in my particular case.

Thanks in advance.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  05:48:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read through the section on evil nodes myself and I must say that I was actually impressed by this piece of "crunchy" material. I've already jotted down a few notes about potential evil nodes that may exist in certain areas of the Realms. I could even see this coming together for an article in the Compendium. I tended to prefer the Shadow Weave nodes in comparison to the evil nodes though, so maybe I'll got with them instead.

quote:

I didn't have a chance last night to grab my Underdark accessory, but am I right in assuming that this attunement process is detailed there?
I don't remember reading anything about node attunement in UD. So, I just had a quick skim through it now, and didn't see anything about it either.

Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  05:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, upon my first run through I like this product quite a bit. It's got a few hidden gems IMHO in the shadow and evil node sections. On those, and I'm not sure that you wrote them up Wil, but it states that people who are 'attuned' to an evil node can do all sorts of things. I didn't have a chance last night to grab my Underdark accessory, but am I right in assuming that this attunement process is detailed there?

I did write those, yes. I don't have my books yet, so I'm not sure if my updated Node Feats made it into the book. The Node Spellcasting feat is used to attune yourself to a particular type of node.

quote:
Originally posted by George KrashosFollowing that, I've got a few queries re the ability for an attuned individual to 'trap' a creature in an evil node. Assuming I trap something/someone in the node, does that trapping last forever until I rescind it? Does it last even after I'm dead? Can you be undead and attuned to the evil node and hence able to trap someone/something?

Yes, the trapping lasts forever. Once you summon the creature, you have to convince it to be trapped again. One can assume such creatures enter some sort of stasis and do not age.

There's nothing stopping undead from attuning to a node.

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  08:56:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eeeexcellent! Thanks Wil.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  09:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the Evil nodes was created by Kezef spending time in a region. What would be the likelyhood that Powerful Evil Nodes turned up where Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul died or even where an evil god spent time during the time of troubles????

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  05:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

One of the Evil nodes was created by Kezef spending time in a region. What would be the likelyhood that Powerful Evil Nodes turned up where Bane, Bhaal and Mykrul died or even where an evil god spent time during the time of troubles????

There could be some there, but I prefer evil nodes to have to do with evil force, rather than divine power. That's purely a personal preference, though...I have a vague memory of a node or shrine being at the site where Myrkul died, but can't find anything in my notes.

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  06:14:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't like the idea of a deity being in a place and causing an evil node simply by their presence... For one thing, Kezef is kind of a unique case. For another thing, if we had evil nodes everywhere an evil deity spent any serious amount of time, then there would be one in the middle of Selűne's temple in Waterdeep! Shar was there for a while, impersonating Selűne.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  06:16:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There could be some there, but I prefer evil nodes to have to do with evil force, rather than divine power. That's purely a personal preference, though...I have a vague memory of a node or shrine being at the site where Myrkul died, but can't find anything in my notes.

On top of Blackstaff Tower?

Go to Top of Page

Wil_Upchurch

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  10:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Wil_Upchurch's Homepage Send Wil_Upchurch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
On top of Blackstaff Tower?

Hey, I said it was a vague memory... :D

Wil Upchurch
15th-Level Freelancer
magewebmaster@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  10:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Id be more inclined to believe that Mykrul would have created an Evil Node in the Sewers of Waterdeep or in Undermountain . When Mykrul died part of his body fell as ashes over a marktet in Waterdeep and the whole area crumbled and decayed. Now where would have all those Ashes gone come the first rain after the ToT? Into the sewers and possiably onto Undermoutain.

I also think there should be a Evil Node where Bhaal died as it tainted the area with his evilness (ie the River becoming poisoness etc)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  13:56:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the creation of an evil node tied to the death of Bhaal at Boareskyr Bridge sounds more appropriate. And given the extensive changes to both the river and the surrounding landscape, a DM could suggest that the effect was in fact continuous and resulted in the creation of an evil node.

But, as to the subject of deity-caused evil nodes, I'm with Wooly on this one. I don't particularly like the idea of evil nodes popping up where ever an evil deity has been. If we have too many, the Realms will end up like Ravenloft with all its sinkholes of evil. It'll be impossible for the PCs to travel any particular region without encountering at least one...

I think for the most part, a deity's death on the Material Plane should result in the creation of an evil node, not their presence.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000