Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 65

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  14:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hey Steven

Just a quick query on storm giants. Specifically how they came to live in Seros and how do they habitate in the Inner Sea (do they just hold their breaths for a long, long time ...?).

-- George Krashos

Last time I'd checked it, storm giants could breathe water, which is why I put a few of them down there. But it's early and the caffeine hasn't hit my brain yet, so I could be mistaken.....

SES
who does not have a hangover as he didn't do much to celebrate Bacchus/St. Patrick last night....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  14:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hi, Steven

Im a great fan of your work (City os Splendors, Calimport and LOI are my "best of"), and is a great pleasure see and talk to you here.

I have a little question (a curiosity, really...). You said before:

quote:
Who notes that he DOESN'T pull that trick on the following: Piergeiron, Elminster, Maskar Wands, Halaster, Alustriel, or the crowned heads of Cormyr, Impiltur, or Tethyr; all others get what little they can wring out of him while he's within reach (and yes, it does rather chafe Mirt's sensibilities to get such treatment for more than 30 years)

Well, my question is: meeting betwenn Khelben and Halaster?!? Ho ho... When? Where? Why?
Im wondering in what could happen in a meeting of Khelben and the (ex) mad mage of Undermountain... can you give us some idea about this???

Yuri S Peixoto,
Really desiring that more FR books be translated to portuguese...

There's an NDA in the way of my saying any more on that topic. I think folks'll be happy with said meeting if its happening can ever be confirmed.

SES

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2005 :  18:05:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
who does not have a hangover as he didn't do much to celebrate Bacchus/St. Patrick last night....

You're irish? If so, you should know that a good Irish writer

quote:

There's an NDA in the way of my saying any more on that topic. I think folks'll be happy with said meeting if its happening can ever be confirmed

shouldn't withhold information from an Irish fan.

SB who is now very eager to see what tome might end up getting those two colorful figures together. "Wild nights in Waterdeep and the persons responsible for them?" is my only guess.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4834 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  04:14:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Last time I'd checked it, storm giants could breathe water, which is why I put a few of them down there. But it's early and the caffeine hasn't hit my brain yet, so I could be mistaken.....

Ah crikey, you're absolutely correct.

BTW, now that you are working does that mean your blog will be updated infrequently - nothing since 9 March ....

Thanks, Steven.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  23:33:39  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Greetings. I happenend to download a copy of 'Lands of Intrugue' from the Wizards site and enjoyed it throughly. Especially the Tethyr stuff.

Any idea what's going on in Tethyr these days? And why did Lawantha burst in to tears and run away when she saw the Royal babies? :)

- RJ

Edited by - RevJest on 26 Mar 2005 00:35:13
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  04:08:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

Steven,

Greetings. I happenend to download a copy of 'Lands of Intrugue' from the Wizards site and enjoyed it throughly. Especially the Tethyr stuff.

Thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed it.

quote:

Any idea what's going on in Tethyr these days? And why did Lawantha burst in to tears and run away when she saw the Royal babies? :)

No real comments on Tethyr, RJ, as I haven't delved much into that in a while. Besides, there may be an NDA or three out there, so I'll check with folks at WotC before I say anything of where they might be going in my head.

As for the Duchess, she was overwrought as she and her duke had only recently discovered at that time they were unable to have children. She may or may not have resorted to magical means in the interim, but that was the idea behind her outburst at that time.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  16:08:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi M. Schend

First, another question about Carolyas Idogyr, if she gone missing during an official Force Grey mission, who would be logically looking for her ? Does her link with Khelben is enough important for him to look upon her ?

Second, on another website, I got your message about house property value in Waterdeep, its really excellent thanks for it. If you have little time to spare, you could expend it with price for renting appartement, house and villas in the City of Splendor :)

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  02:18:44  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No real comments on Tethyr, RJ, as I haven't delved much into that in a while. Besides, there may be an NDA or three out there, so I'll check with folks at WotC before I say anything of where they might be going in my head.

Great, thanks.

I noticed your name on 'Cloak and Dagger'. Can you tell us what was wrong with Cylyria of Berdusk while the whole Harper Tribunal / Khelben thing was going on? It seems odd with she'd be laying abed sick, given the sorts of resources at her disposal.

- RJ

Edited by - RevJest on 27 Mar 2005 02:25:56
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  18:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi M. Schend

First, another question about Carolyas Idogyr, if she gone missing during an official Force Grey mission, who would be logically looking for her ? Does her link with Khelben is enough important for him to look upon her ?

Depends on whether or not he's the one who sent her on that particular mission. Chances are he might not know to look for her, given all the things he's up to in a day (local politics, Moonstar business, Mystra/Chosen business, meddling in Harpers stuff, personal business, activities as a tutor/teacher in Blackstaff Tower, etc.) until someone points out she's missing.

He's unlikely to be the first to look for her; first would be her compatriots (Jardwim, et al), second would be her sister, third would be her friends outside of Force Grey (GMs welcome to make them up), and far lower on the list would be her former tutor and/or guardian. After all, if he were to watch over all his former apprentices (even just those still alive, not undead) for 2 minutes a day, he'd have no time for anything else in his day.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  18:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

quote:

Great, thanks.

I noticed your name on 'Cloak and Dagger'. Can you tell us what was wrong with Cylyria of Berdusk while the whole Harper Tribunal / Khelben thing was going on? It seems odd with she'd be laying abed sick, given the sorts of resources at her disposal.

Sorry I can't elaborate on that plotline, as I recall her sickness was an ongoing plot of Ed Greenwood's, and I simply dwelled on what was happening around her without going into her illness and why it wasn't getting cured. I believe the plot was first noted in CODE OF THE HARPERS, though I could be mistaken and having a "senior moment" memory wise.

Best to ask the Sage of Colborne over on his own thread.

Steven

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  18:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was browsing the WotC boards under a pseudonym, and saw that people were querying for info on Shoonach and/or researches of the Shoon into magics. As I've a little time at lunch, I figured I'd toss a few ideas into the ether....

All of the qysars (and all of their lapdog sycophantic vizars and courts) contributed to a great library of magical knowledge that helped the Shoon Imperium maintain its control for as long as it had. The bulk of the spell knowledge now lost to the Realms (but findable by those with the daring to brave the ruins) is offensive and brutal in nature. Many of these spells make the darkenbeast spell look like a kindness.

While I've no time (or inclination) to do full stats ala 3.5, here's some spell ideas that people could possibly find in Shoonach (and perhaps they'd be lauded to the skies if they could reverse-engineer some spells to do good things):

Skeletrap--sacrifice 2+ animated skeletons to wrap around a victim as a bone-cage, anchoring him/her in place to the area of effect. The more skeletons sacrificed, the stronger the cage is (i.e. the higher the Break DC is for the pinned victim) My guess puts this around Level 4 spells.

Eyes of the Drow--victim must suddenly make saves vs. blindness as his/her eyes are replaced with eyes not accustomed to daylight. Beneficial spell at night/subterranean, but most often used (since it has a multiple target effect over an area) to disable spellcasters and give the caster a distinct advantage temporarily. L3 spell? Duration variable according to levels.

If folks want to discuss and toss around more ideas, I'll be checking in now and again.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  19:26:47  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I throw these up on that thread? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  22:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Can I throw these up on that thread? :)

As long as you attribute them to being unofficial musings of a former game designer, sure. Just warn them that I'm unlikely to spend much time there; any questions need to be forwarded here.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  23:01:38  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As long as you attribute them to being unofficial musings of a former game designer, sure. Just warn them that I'm unlikely to spend much time there; any questions need to be forwarded here.

Steven

Nod nod, I always do when I take your lore from here or paste it into my files. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  06:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for you Steven. Rich Baker over on the ask the Realms Authors thread politely demurred when asked what could be found on the various other continents of Toril seen on the "scholar's view of Abeir-Toril" map. He said it was basically space for DM's to imagine and fill in the blanks. He also mentioned that you might have some notes about what might go where.

I was wondering if you might have some "unofficial musings" that you would care to share about what could be found on those Terra Incognitas located around the globe beyond Faerun and Kara-Tur.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30019 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  11:39:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I have a question for you Steven. Rich Baker over on the ask the Realms Authors thread politely demurred when asked what could be found on the various other continents of Toril seen on the "scholar's view of Abeir-Toril" map. He said it was basically space for DM's to imagine and fill in the blanks. He also mentioned that you might have some notes about what might go where.

I was wondering if you might have some "unofficial musings" that you would care to share about what could be found on those Terra Incognitas located around the globe beyond Faerun and Kara-Tur.

I'll take this opportunity to again share an idea that crossed my mind in the past...

We know that some of the Netherese cities ranged pretty far afield, since two crashed in the Sea of Fallen Stars and another is believed to lie off of Tethyr's coast.

So, what if the master of an enclave was seriously into exploring, and it was over one of those other continents when Karsus cast his Ultimate Mistake spell? If the city wasn't too high, a large number of people could have survived (or, conversely, if it was high enough for the reborn Mystra to catch it before it). It'd be interesting to see the society that would develop from this...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2005 :  23:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I have some old, old notes that were a pitch for a subline like Al-Qadim for those areas, but they're all apocryphal, they're all old, and they're all buried somewhere. Gimme a week or so to dig the notes up and I'll see what's worth posting herein, unofficially, of course.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  04:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be totally cool! Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2005 :  04:36:13  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I wouldn't mind seeing those notes myself, Steven.

I'm waiting in line behind Gray .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  19:43:50  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes using the search function can yiled interesting tidbits... Steven, in the Sages of Realmslore sub-forum, I found a post of yours on Magisters, where you mention a little hamlet in the midst of the Greenfields.

What was posted there in the PS footnote is all that exists on the hamlet or did you have more...?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  22:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Sometimes using the search function can yiled interesting tidbits... Steven, in the Sages of Realmslore sub-forum, I found a post of yours on Magisters, where you mention a little hamlet in the midst of the Greenfields.

What was posted there in the PS footnote is all that exists on the hamlet or did you have more...?

Nothing more than that "off the top of my head" nattering, I'm afraid....

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  10:58:31  Show Profile  Send Hymn an AOL message  Send Hymn an ICQ Message  Click to see Hymn's MSN Messenger address  Send Hymn a Yahoo! Message Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I don't know if it's been asked or so but. Considering you wrote the 2ed City of Splendors tome with Ed have you been involved in any way with the upcoming 3ed release ?

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  20:42:02  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Nothing more than that "off the top of my head" nattering, I'm afraid....

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with then... I might have a certain scribe's apprentice venture that way and secribe a little more... to be continued

ps: George K, your Village Square edit could actually fit quite nicely in combination with this hamlet...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4834 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  01:47:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always glad to be of service.

I might look at some of the other "Locale" series and see what I can do to them - in the nicest possible way of course.

Mind you, I've got a few FR projects on the hop at the moment so my time needs to be used wisely.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  02:25:15  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Krash... Always play the tempter... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 65 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000