Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  00:51:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, Krash asked for it, so...

Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to author and master contributor for all-things-Impiltur, George "Krash" Krashos.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  00:55:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, just to have something resembling a recap...

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk Come to think of it, George should have his own scroll too, being our resident expert on Impiltur... George? Sage? Any thoughts?

His own scroll? That's aiming WAY too low. I think WotC should put him on retainer, with an official title and a regular paycheck.

I'd be happy to do it for free. As I was getting into the Realms I remember thinking that I would love to have Jeff Grubb's old "FR traffic cop" job.

But given the FR changes in 4E, the position is redundant methinks.

Oh, and I've had something of a re-think regarding having my own scroll. Simply because I realised the other day that it would probably be a good idea to keep better track of my random FR musings as my own archiving of same has been haphazard at best.

That and the fact that I can't let Brian get one up on me as he already trumps me in the good looks stakes.

So 'powers that be', I'd love a scroll thanks. It might get a bit dusty and underutilised, but I'm sure someone will get some use out of it.

-- George Krashos

P.S. Oh, and unlike the rest of the people here, I'm fortunate to be able to ignore the NDA demon better than most. There aren't any NDAs in place regarding material that will appear in my thread - just my random musings and thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  00:56:19  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met George! Was there anything trimmed from your excellent Impiltur article for Dragon that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  01:42:53  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations! I do happen to have a question regarding 4e Impiltur... although it's remotely possible that for this particular question, I might be asking it too early...

Why was my favourite succubus in all of Toril done away with? In my future Impiltur (not so far away as the Year of the Ageless One), Soneillon is Queen of Naratyr. She rules alone, Imbrar having fallen in the battles that conquered most of the former lands of Impiltur. The major coastal cities are still nominally free, huddled behind their walls, but Soneillon rules all other lands of the former kingdom. This was facilitated in part by the failure of the royal line, and in part by the undoing of Soargar's wards preventing the succubus from entering the realm. Soneillon fit perfectly into the "points of light" model for 4e, and yet I neither play 4e nor subscribe to that model for my Realms.

Anyway, just wondering if you can shed some light on that particular design decision; if not, that's okay, and I'm actually hoping (for once) that Soneillon has a current NDA attached, which would indicate that her role in Faerun is not finished yet.

Thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  01:52:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only question is when George is finally going to agree to marry me...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  02:28:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always felt a little bad that George didn't have his own scroll. I know he had been asked previously and said "no" in reply. But, still, it's been through Krash that some of the most memorable and fantastic Realmslore has been created.

So this is well-deserved. Congrats George. At least it'll make it easier for me to compile all your eventual "Impiltur-related" replies.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Oct 2008 02:30:07
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  11:20:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Congratulations! I do happen to have a question regarding 4e Impiltur... although it's remotely possible that for this particular question, I might be asking it too early...

Why was my favourite succubus in all of Toril done away with? In my future Impiltur (not so far away as the Year of the Ageless One), Soneillon is Queen of Naratyr. She rules alone, Imbrar having fallen in the battles that conquered most of the former lands of Impiltur. The major coastal cities are still nominally free, huddled behind their walls, but Soneillon rules all other lands of the former kingdom. This was facilitated in part by the failure of the royal line, and in part by the undoing of Soargar's wards preventing the succubus from entering the realm. Soneillon fit perfectly into the "points of light" model for 4e, and yet I neither play 4e nor subscribe to that model for my Realms.

Anyway, just wondering if you can shed some light on that particular design decision; if not, that's okay, and I'm actually hoping (for once) that Soneillon has a current NDA attached, which would indicate that her role in Faerun is not finished yet.

Thanks!

I wasn't privy to any of the 4E design process for the Realms, so the reasons for Soneillon's departure from the Realms is as much a mystery to me as it is to you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  14:07:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A suitable avatar change George. I approve!

-- The Sage makes a mental note that it's about time to change his avatar as well.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Oct 2008 14:08:34
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  14:39:35  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I always felt a little bad that George didn't have his own scroll. I know he had been asked previously and said "no" in reply. But, still, it's been through Krash that some of the most memorable and fantastic Realmslore has been created.

So this is well-deserved. Congrats George. At least it'll make it easier for me to compile all your eventual "Impiltur-related" replies.

Methinks we also need a scroll titles Krashos greatest hits, where "the most memorable and fantastic Realmslore" from George can be shared!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  15:30:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

-- The Sage makes a mental note that it's about time to change his avatar as well.

Bring back the kender!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  18:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the forum, George. Well deserved, this.

Okay, George. Now that you've got a corner into which we can back you, let's give you a non-Impiltur question.

Regale us with some of your favorite "fixes" and tweaks you and Eric Boyd had to do to make the Kingdom of Man/Phalorm come together cleanly and not contradict itself too much. That was one of the earlier things I remember getting from you and enjoying.

Steven
who hopes Clan Krashos is all well and good on the other side of the world

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  19:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay for Krash!

One question for starters: Are we going to get to hang out at GenCon '09? Missed you this year, man.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  01:56:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Yay for Krash!

One question for starters: Are we going to get to hang out at GenCon '09? Missed you this year, man.

Cheers

The overseas trip for 2009 is slated as a casual family jaunt to the UK and Cyprus in February, so my chances of getting to GEN-CON next year are pretty slim.

However, 2010 coincides with my 40th birthday - - and I've already received the tacit approval of "She Who Must Be Obeyed" regarding a birthday present that will see the passport come into play.

We'll hopefully hoist a few (dozen) then.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  02:30:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Congrats on the forum, George. Well deserved, this.

Okay, George. Now that you've got a corner into which we can back you, let's give you a non-Impiltur question.

Regale us with some of your favorite "fixes" and tweaks you and Eric Boyd had to do to make the Kingdom of Man/Phalorm come together cleanly and not contradict itself too much. That was one of the earlier things I remember getting from you and enjoying.

Steven
who hopes Clan Krashos is all well and good on the other side of the world

Oh man, the Fallen Kingdom project. Boy, I was as giddy as a school boy when Eric dropped me the first "Are you interested in talking Realms" e-mail. The august Steven Schend loomed over us like a wise, old Elminster and Ed would throw something into the pot every week or so, chuckling the whole time. Geez, I'm still getting excited over the memories of that project.

The funny thing is that it was being "run" by another individual who I understand had been given the Fallen Kingdom brief for the FR Encyclopedia project. He was away on vacation as Eric and I built up a head of steam and then returned to tell us he didn't agree with our conclusions and timeline!

Umm, his version didn't make it.

There were a couple of major issues with the history of the Fallen Kingdom that had to be massaged before we got everything set into place. Our major anchors were Ed's seminal piece in FR11 Dwarves Deep and his Athalantar article in Dragon magazine and we quickly realised that the hurdles we had to overcome were source conflict on datings/placement in the timeline, haphazard nomenclature, and geography.

The source conflict on dates arose out of the throwaway line that the Fallen Kingdom had its genesis in the fall of Ascalhorn and the creation of Hellgate Keep. Steven had dated this event at 882DR - and I recall wishing he had dated it a couple of centuries earlier - which made us realise immediately that the Fallen Kingdom and Waterdeep were muscling in on the same "power in the region" schtick if Phalorm was placed in the timeline post-882DR.

It was the nomenclature problems (the Fallen Kingdom was also variously named Illefarn in the sources also) that led us into the light. Eric came up with the idea that there had been multiple Illefarns over the centuries and this allowed us to account for the post-882 DR "Illefarn" to reconcile that problem.

Eric had created a proto-timeline that had the Fallen Kingdom fall in the 500s DR but I latched onto the Everhorde references from one of Ed's Pages From the Mages articles and we agreed that this event would be the precursor to the fall of the realm. We had scoped out the 500s DR as the likely placement of Phalorm in the timeline for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it allowed time for the fall of Athalantar which occupied some of the same geographic area as the bounds of Phalorm (Hastarl/Secomber) and ended prior to Waterdeep becoming a power in the region, again because they shared the same general geographic area of influence.

I then mapped out a further timeline that set into place the three "Illefarns" (big ancient elven realm, post-Athlantar dwarf and elf alliance, and post-Hellgate Keep brief elf/dwarf/human alliance in the Ardeep Forest region), made up a bunch of wars and battles to show Phalorm as the rising power in the Dessarin and the main bulwark against the teeming humanoid hordes and fleshed out the information in FR11 Dwarves Deep.

The next problem was the successor Kingdom of Man realm. Again, the sources seemed to hint that this kingdom rolled on into the 900s DR (mainly references from the products about Daggerford) which again confronted us with the "How does this kingdom co-exist with Waterdeep?" problem.

After a few permutations, we finally agreed that the Kingdom of Man/Delimbiyran as a unified realm wouldn't last past the late 600s DR (we had two 'end' dates for the fall of KoM - astute readers of "Serpent Kingdoms" will see that the earlier, incorrect date made it into that product as Eric had obviously been working off an old draft/timeline and we missed it in the last go through) but agreed that the Kingdom of Man would be an 'idea' that lots of its 'splinter kingdoms' (following one of Ed's FR design preferences of lots of small regional 'realms' and city-states) would aspire to over the following centuries, thereby explaining why the "Kingdom of Man" remained on sages' radars long after it had fallen proper.

Of course, the FK project was a bit like the invasion of Russia. It started off narrow and then started to funnel out as I jumped from reference to reference in the North. When I decided to do a FK-style project on Illusk I soon realised that in conjunction with the existing lore and our FK work I might as well do a timeline of the entire North. The rest was, quite literally, history.

Thanks for letting me reminisce, Steven - good times. It just makes me wish we'd been able to get that Demonlands project off the deck ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  02:49:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which leads me to a further note in relation to my design checklist for the Realms.

The FK project was a great lesson in terms of writing for the Realms. Eric made it clear that where possible, no reference - no matter how anomalous, weird or "out there" - should be ignored. I remember him stating that as people in time to come would have to deal with and use our design decisions, so too would we pay as much respect as possible to the design decisions that had preceded our work, no matter what we might think of them personally (i.e. that design decision sucked dragon rear!).

Since that time I've taken this "all-inclusive" mantra to heart and used every scrap of pre-existing lore that I could find on topics I was writing on. It sometimes made the writing difficult or forced me to go in directions that my own instincts and choices wouldn't have taken me to, but it also meant a more coherent and true to "what had gone before" Realms, which was IMO a more paramount concern. Simply put, unless my "great idea" could be fit into the existing extant realmslore and remain true to other writers' work, I didn't proceed with it.

My writing was also governed by the idea of "cause and effect". I tried to never write in a vacuum. If I was writing about Illusk I would try to write about Neverwinter as well, Mirabar, the kobolds of the Ice Lakes region, the elves of the woodlands nearby etc. To me, that made the Realms 'live' in terms of history and current events. If I wrote about the dark evil Citadel of Conjurors, a scant couple of days ride from Lyrabar, I had to explain why the region wasn't overrun by fiends. If I wrote about the thief-friendly Baytown in the otherwise goodly, paladin-led realm of Impiltur, I had to explain why they suffered the place to exist, etc. etc.

That's why my answers on Impiltur are sometimes a bit long in coming. Everytime I'm writing about the place I'm building the lore increment by increment. I have to tally it with the sources, my own previous writings, my vision on the place (dictated also by "what has gone before") and temper it with a view on where it is going to 'take' Impiltur.

For me, the Realms is a fun, deadly serious place. A bit like living there "for real" I imagine. Thanks for reading my wanderings and musings. On with the questions.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  13:58:11  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

I'm interested with how Impiltur came into being, and I suspect it wasn't part of the original (Ed's) Realms, but created by you, George?
And as a follow-up to that one, how did you envision it from the beginning, -compared to how it turned out?

//Amarel

Edited by - Amarel Derakanor on 27 Oct 2008 13:59:06
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  14:46:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

Well met!

I'm interested with how Impiltur came into being, and I suspect it wasn't part of the original (Ed's) Realms, but created by you, George?
And as a follow-up to that one, how did you envision it from the beginning, -compared to how it turned out?

//Amarel

No, Impiltur was always part of Ed's Realms but what saw print in the original 1987 boxed set was just a snippet.

The first product to really showcase it was FR6 Dreams of Red Wizards which provided us with background and history - although Ed did tell me that the author of that product "greatly truncated" the historical notes of the region that Ed had passed on to him.

Following that, there was RA Salvatore's FR9 The Bloodstone Lands which provided much 'practical' kingdom detail and then the early history of Narfell/Raumathar that was showcased in FR10 Old Empires gave some older, history to build off.

It was Steven Schend who got the ball rolling on the whole "Demonlands" aspect to the region and he planted the first, true seeds of my interest in the place in his Sea of Fallen Stars accessory.

It was around this time that Eric began to tinker with the rulers/monarchs of Milvarn and Impiltur - trying to explain away the inconsistencies between FR6 and FR9 in terms of the ruling line.

My interest was piqued sufficiently to write and submit my "Soargar's Legacy" article which was published in Dragon#277. This article was an unabashed tribute to Ed's "Seven Swords" article and revealed for the first time further information regarding "Old" Impiltur that other sources - notably Ed's novels - had alluded to a few times.

I must confess that when this article was written there was no coherent history, line of kings or major historical events that I had come up with regarding Impiltur. But it did make me decide that such things were needed and used the vehicle of a follow-up article (which was never published) to crystalize some of the historical ideas I had regarding Impiltur (i.e. its founding, the Fiend Wars and Triad Crusade, its ties with Cormyr etc.).

When Eric was writing "Races of Faerūn" I had the chance to showcase some of that material and similarly in Champions of Ruin/Valor (the sword "Dornavver" in the latter product and much of the material on Impiltur is my stuff although I wasn't given credit for it). All of the further work culminated in my Impiltur article in Dragon #346 and the Impiltur 'bits' in GHotR.

As to how my original thoughts on Impiltur were changed as time went on - an editing slice of fairly large proportions in "Races of Faerūn" swapped around my Mirandor and Durlarven dynasties (originally, the Durlarven dynasty came before the Mirandors) as well as chopping out some stuff I'd come up with regarding a Narfelli 'survivor' state which in hindsight was probably a good thing to lose as I was never quite comfortable with (and still haven't nailed down all of the details regarding) the transition period between the fall of Narfell and the founding of Impiltur.

Similarly, I made the decision years ago that Narfell would be all about demons. Other writers who have written about that ancient kingdom have also brought devils into the mix which I've yet to provide an explanation about - although I have a few thoughts. I've also had to change material to account for the writings of Richard Lee Byers and Bruce Cordell.

There are aspects of Impiltur that have barely been touched on that are fundamentally important and interesting - like the fact that many of its people have Jhaamdathi blood in their veins and by inference a facility with the "Invisible Art" (i.e. psionics) and the fact that its one of the mercenary 'hubs' of the Inner Sea along with the Vilhon Reach.

I have in 'the works' a lineage of the monarchs of Impiltur similar to the one that exists for Cormyr. As with the latter realm, such a document is a convenient and easy method by which to track the historical progression of a realm. Currently, the more recent dynasties are the most fleshed out while most of the early monarchs (and the events that occurred in their reigns) are afforded a few sentences. Unlike the Cormyr one, this is mostly all mine (with some input from Eric) and so if it ever gets in a finished state I'd love to get it 'out there' for the fans. GEN-CON 2010 sounds like a good a place as any to get a completed copy into the hands of a few friends.

However, don't think that I've planned and mapped out everything that can be said or known about Impiltur - Ed I am not! I ... *ahem* ... make up stuff as I go - but I do so with a firm vision of what 'fits' for my Impiltur and a respect for what information is already out there. That's why I like questions about the realm or its history - in answering them I build more and more lore for the place and make it a better place for DMs and players to set their games in.

Of course, I can't wait for the Sage to provide his compilation of all my Impiltur posts as I'm sure that I haven't kept track of all of them. Get it done quickly before I start contradicting myself!

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Oct 2008 14:49:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  14:52:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course, I can't wait for the Sage to provide his compilation of all my Impiltur posts as I'm sure that I haven't kept track of all of them. Get it done quickly before I start contradicting myself!
Actually, I'm nearly done. Hoorah!

I've just got a couple of the older posts you've made about Impiltur over on the REALMS-L and WotC boards that I've got to compile and collect into the file. Then it's off to Alaundo for storage here at Candlekeep.

But I'll send you a copy of your own though, so you don't have to wait for the next site update.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  15:00:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Well met George! Was there anything trimmed from your excellent Impiltur article for Dragon that you wouldn't mind sharing?

These are two sidebars that got cut from the original article:

The Lady of Logic

The dead god Murdane was a lesser deity of reason and pragmatism worshipped primarily by the people of Jhaamdath. Also known as the Firstborn and the Daughter of Reason, her worship rose to prominence with the fall of Savras, and was ended only a short time later as gods reckon such matters, when the deity Lathander indirectly caused her destruction during the Dawn Cataclysm.

Today, evidence of her worship is noted only in ancient scholarly tomes or by reference to ancient temple ruins that can be found in the lands of the Vilhon Reach and other regions that were colonized in the Jhaamdathan diaspora. Clerics wishing to worship Murdane must take the Servant of the Fallen feat (see Lost Empires of Faerūn). Those who adopt Murdane as their patron deity should consult the table below:

Alignment: N

Domains: Balance, Knowledge, Planning

Portfolios: Reasoning and deduction

Weapon: Light hammer

and a new feat:

Moonstone Magic [General]

Your spells draw on the mystical power of moonstone gems and are now even more potent than before.

Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus to your effective caster level for purposes of determining level-dependent spell variables and for caster level checks when casting a spell from the Evocation or Abjuration schools of magic. In order for a spell to benefit from this feat, the spellcaster must add a material component to that spell in the form of 10 gp worth of moonstone gem dust per spell level (minimum 5 gp).

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  15:04:40  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting.... Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  15:05:16  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George KrashosMoonstone Magic [General]

Your spells draw on the mystical power of moonstone gems and are now even more potent than before.

Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus to your effective caster level for purposes of determining level-dependent spell variables and for caster level checks when casting a spell from the Evocation or Abjuration schools of magic. In order for a spell to benefit from this feat, the spellcaster must add a material component to that spell in the form of 10 gp worth of moonstone gem dust per spell level (minimum 5 gp).

-- George Krashos

Now this is interesting. Tell me, George, would it be appropriate to switch out a moonstone gem/jewelry focus instead of the powder for the feat?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  15:20:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by George KrashosMoonstone Magic [General]

-- George Krashos

Now this is interesting. Tell me, George, would it be appropriate to switch out a moonstone gem/jewelry focus instead of the powder for the feat?

This feat was based on a snippet of lore contained in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" (p.44).

As Tom Costa pointed out to me at the time, 3.5E nerfed Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus and this feat was originally along the same lines.

We made it into a caster level variable booster and added a 'cost' to it as otherwise it was better than existing feats. The cost was set also so that Eschew Materials couldn't be used to avoid it.

On that basis, I wouldn't swap out the gem dust cost for the use of a one-off cost focus gem. This feat is already likely too powerful (which is why it probably got cut) so to take away the cost really makes it too good.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  12:42:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you George

Mantle Lore is most appreciated

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  14:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome work GK.
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  14:28:04  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh man, the Fallen Kingdom project.

What is the Fallen Kingdom Project? Did it see the light of day? What is it? Where is it?

I know what/where the Fallen Kingdom was in Faerun but I don't know what this 'project' relates to specifically. But I'd like to!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  20:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're pretty awesome, oh Mantled One.....

Great stuff, indeed, George.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Magister Sunstrider
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  20:17:25  Show Profile  Visit Magister Sunstrider's Homepage Send Magister Sunstrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was most timely, one of my player's recently asked me about Elven Spell Mantles. This will help greatly, many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  20:39:07  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for sharing this awesome stuff with us . Actually I was trying to figure out how to integrate the "Secret of the Magister" Spell Mantle in my campaign as it will play a crucial role in my next Narfell/Great Dale centered "adventure path" he,he,he ....

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  14:53:55  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing this with us. This lore will prove very useful in my current (and no doubt in future) campaign.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  05:34:52  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stiled, George:

Oh my, you have made my day. I love you. (Please do
read anymore into this than you should.) This is good stuff.
I have always wanted more lore on spellmantles, and the
feat just didn't cut it.
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  13:17:12  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got another question for you, George!

In the 3rd edition 'Underdark' tome, on page 133, one can find information about the city of Ched Nasad, the city of shimmering webs.... And information about a Lawful Evil male adult blue dragon Sorcerer, of 12th level.

It says that he was living in the city disguised as a drow wizard named Quevven Jusztiirn, but his real name is 'Krashos Morueme'!

Now, Krashos is'nt the most common name around, so I'm wondering if there might be a connection somewhere.... With you, that is.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000