Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  09:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Dargoth: Malaug was, among other aliases, the leader of the Magelords and was killed by Elminster at the very end of Making of a Mage. I asked Ed about it directly sometime in 2004 (I think) and he confirmed it. So Malaug can't be Shadow (though it's an interesting thought... I'd love a novel or a series of short stories dealing with Shade in the Demiplane of Shadow).

wasnt it strongly hinted that the Magelords where Netherese?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  09:21:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Dargoth: Malaug was, among other aliases, the leader of the Magelords and was killed by Elminster at the very end of Making of a Mage. I asked Ed about it directly sometime in 2004 (I think) and he confirmed it. So Malaug can't be Shadow (though it's an interesting thought... I'd love a novel or a series of short stories dealing with Shade in the Demiplane of Shadow).

wasnt it strongly hinted that the Magelords where Netherese?

Nope-yuan-ti, then malaugryms. See page 88 of LEoF.
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  14:10:27  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

BTW, Ed thinks Blueblade’s idea of scribes identifying Realms NPCs you’d like to see a little more of, in future novels and short stories, is a great one: please post your choices here!
love to all,
THO

Susprina Arkhenneld (when I asked about her ages ago, I believe I ran smack dab in to a [NDA]?), Sharanralee, and Mintiper Moonsilver.

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  15:03:04  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message
Hello Lady THO and Ed,

I have had the pleasure the past few months (as part of WW DnD Day and hosting a library program) of introducing DnD and the various campaign settings to new players. I'm sure I didn't do the Forgotten Realms justice. I would like to hear what Ed would say to a group of teenagers (that know very little of DnD and the FR setting) about the Forgotten Realms. Maybe just what he would he emphasize about the realms that makes it unique.

Thanks,
EvilKnight

Edited by - EvilKnight on 19 Dec 2005 15:04:35
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  17:58:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another quick question for Ed and my Lady Hooded One: Where does the nickname "Weirdbeard" come from?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  21:09:18  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
I second the request for more of Sharanralee and "third" it for Mintiper Moonsilver. Thanks, and welcome back, THO!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  01:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

5)There seems to be quite a few simlarities between the stories of Malaug and the Malaugrym and Lord Shadow and Shade enclave. After reading th Shadow of the Avatar trilogy again I was begining to suspect that Malaug and the Netherils Lord Shadow may be one and the same.......

I thought the story of "How the Art came to Maulaugadorn" in FRCS told about the "father" of the Malaugrym?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  01:42:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That story deals with Malaug before he left for the Plane of Shadow. He subsequently abandoned Shadowhome and came back to Toril - until Elminster cleaned his clock in "Making of a Mage".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  02:47:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hmm. I evidently have some reading to do. Glad what I said was still correct (and that I didn't make a fool of myself).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  03:25:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed makes partial reply to a May query from crazedventurers about Helmite festivals (dates, names, and natures):

Hi, Damian! I hope this isn’t entirely too late for Liz. My notes on the church of Helm are (like those of most of the clergies, because events in the published Realms keep changing the priesthoods, and I’ve been just too busy with other lorework to completely keep up) incomplete, but in addition to the holy day and ceremonies noted on page 28 of FAITHS AND PANTHEONS, there are more than seven annual “Laudays” (festivals).
I say “more than seven” because some local temples celebrate an additional Lauday or two, to commemorate local guardians and protectors of note (almost always individuals who gave their lives to protect others). None of these additional festivals are observed in Cormyr.
Laudays are open to all, not just devout followers of Helm.
The seven widely-celebrated ones are:

THREEAN (Tarsakh 4): Durendar Threean was a long-ago blacksmith of Secomber. He learned of the existence of a fell mage-led army (not a horde, but an organized warband) of orcs and hobgoblins moving down the western verge of the High Forest with the intention of storming Daggerford just as caravans were gathering there for a trade-fair. Seeking to have the army stopped before it could destroy Daggerford or harm Secomber, he walked and rode day and night through deep snow and howling blizzards, on a succession of mounts hastily purchased along the way, to Waterdeep, and forced his way into the Palace to be heard, being wounded by guards there and then slain by a Watchful Order magist on duty to defend the Palace.
When Khelben learned what had befallen, he farscried the army, teleported his apprentices to nearby vantage-points with battle-spells, and the force was routed before it could reach any settlements.
The day of Threean’s death is now marked with feasting (platters of food delivered by hard-riding or running priests, in remembrance of Threean’s wild ride), at which stirring sermons are preached about always spreading warnings of fell deeds and suspicious occurrences one may have witnessed, even if others disbelieve.

JORRIST (Mirtul 9): Althan Jorrist was malformed from birth, and much mocked. His bandy, uneven-length legs could never support him to walk, and his head was far too large for his body and had one large eye set lower than his smaller, higher other eye. Yet despite folk shunning or hurling stones at him, he chose to serve his neighbours in his home city of Elturel by spending his days magically standing watch over the lands around, making it easy for Elturel’s riders of the time (sone seventy years ago, now) to track down brigands, fleeing fugitives from justice, and prowling monsters).
Once Jorrist’s aptitude for arcane magic was evident, he was taken in by the sorceress Tartella Wyndsar of Elturel (a plain, dumpy, no-nonsense woman who served a succession of city rulers as advisor, eyes and ears, and magical muscle), but taught only detection and scrying spells, for fear he’d try to take vengeance on all who’d mistreated him. He did nothing of the kind, and in the end perished at Wyndsar’s side, on the night of Mirtul 9th in 1304 DR, when the Calishite mage Arash Ildroun teleported into her tower to remove her from the local scene (she’d been thwarting attempts to menace and so control local merchants by a cabal of Calishite wizards, of whom Ildroun was a member).
Jorrist’s lauday is marked by a musical processional (which interested passersby and members of the community can join or follow) of Helmite clergy to a chosen place (often their temple, but where possible a local hilltop or other vantage point, natural or man-made), where clerics (and sorcerers and wizards friendly to Helm or to this observance) will for free farscry, either by spell or item (usually crystal balls), persons and places chosen by folk who joined in the processional. The intent is to give members of the general public (with preference to devout Helmites, and secondly to those who joined in the processional) direct view of what is seen in the scrying, so they can “see for themselves” and even direct movement of the scrying.
If demand and resources permit, this process will continue until dusk, when persons who make monetary offerings to Helm (however small) by throwing them into upturned helms placed on stands and guarded by priests, are feasted in a generous meal (with wine and ale) at the priests’ expense. (In small villages, Jorrist may consist only of one priest with a crystal ball, and the feast a meal at the local inn or tavern for which he pays for the wine and ale, and the diners contribute food (what we modern real-world folk usually call “potluck”).

So saith Ed, who will return with the other five Laudays tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  03:31:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Floating around in the ether... A question from Prespos -

quote:
Well Again!

hi Ed, it's me, John, from TO

hope that everything is alright, and that the red wine caravan i sent your way didn't get eaten by trolls ...

what do you think of 1e as 'canon'?

does 1e represent the Realms better than the other editions?
(i'm not thinking of mechanics here, but lore, tone, and world-building)

me, i'm playtesting a slight variation on 1e (1e.UA , where UA(Gold Box) rules take precedence over 1e)

me, i see the Realms through 1e (it's my interface, if you will)

this Q also goes out to everyone here : 1, 2, or 3?

prespos

toril.info
ecologyfund.com

ps. harmony (something to contemplate)
And it would be best for those scribes wishing to respond to the part of Prespos's post that I place in bold above, to reply to that question in another scroll that already deals with such topics (perform a search through the Candlekeep archives), or to open a new one. It's more appropriate... rather than cluttering Ed's scroll with other chatter.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Dec 2005 03:37:33
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  04:22:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
As far as the earlier comment by THO (its really nice to have you back and to know everything seems to be going well), as far as NPCs that I would like to see Ed have a chance to give some more attention to:

Luvon Greencloak
Alok Silverspear
Durkin

With some elves coming back to Cormanthyr, and with more arriving in the "Last Mythal" storyline, the role of the first two would be interesting to find out about, and a dwarf that never bathes and is an elfriend guarding a sacred Elven Burial place really needs to have some more said about him . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  12:00:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Another question for Ed

How common is the Raising the Dead/Resurrection in the realms?

In City of Splendors 2 Nobles die whose families would easily be able to come up with the 5000gp needed to raise their deceased and yet they chose to bury them (It also some what suprising that Azoun IV didnt have his son raised after he died.)

Do most citizens of the Realms have a "Do not Raise me if I die" clauses in their wills because Raise deads seem to be few and far between even for those who can afford it

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  16:23:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I’m sure Ed explained this somewhere already: in most places (Waterdeep and Cormyr definitely among them), laws prevent nobles (sometimes royalty are exempt) from being raised. This stops all sorts of power struggles, conflicting claims for lands and money from “back from the dead” claimants or pretenders purporting to be someone dead centuries ago (whom nobody alive today would be able to swear is an impostor), pretenders “rewriting history” by writing diaries, accounts, false wills, documents purporting to be old agreements, and so on.
Over time, the laws are backed up by social custom: if you break it by raising someone, you threaten the social order, and are apt to be shunned, exiled, or no longer treated as noble by anyone. So folk grow up thinking it’s simply not a possibility.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  17:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
D&D's assigning a fixed price to mercenary priestly spellcasting is a rules artefact, not Realmslore. As well as the prohibition among nobles there are other places where resurrection is legally or culturally impossible; it requires the subject to be willing, which wouldn't be the norm; it needs a powerful priest who's also willing, which usually means shared worship. There are doubtless other factors, not directly in print because published Realmslore has rarely got into the real workings and availability of individual spells; I'd not be surprised if some gods simply don't grant spells to raise the dead, and some regional churches of other gods don't use them.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  00:13:53  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Good to have you back, THO. :)

quote:
BTW, Ed thinks Blueblade’s idea of scribes identifying Realms NPCs you’d like to see a little more of, in future novels and short stories, is a great one: please post your choices here!

Narnra, Caladnei, Alusair, Myrmeen Lhal, Yanseldara and her consort Vaerana Hawklyn (with their relationship open and acknowledged within the story context, since it's only been fleetingly mentioned in FRCS, and only subtext in the one novel they were actually in: The Veiled Dragon), all of the Seven Sisters (Storm, Sylune, Alustriel, and Qilue in particular)... There's prolly more I'd like to see, but my brain keeps coming up blank... I did try to think of male characters I'd like to see more of, but I don't really find them interesting.

More generally, I'd like to see more female characters who don't fall into stereotypical femininity (more characters like Myrmeen and Alusair, please!). I'd also like to see more representation of non-standard sexaulities (for both male and female characters), but I expect that may be asking too much.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  00:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Welcome back, THO. Be well. Happy Yule.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  01:38:53  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
I'd like to see more Taern Hornblade and Alustriel, specially now that Taern rules Silverymoon. The current dealings of Taeros Hawkwinter would also be very enjoyable, as will be those of the other members of the Tel'Teukiira that now are dwelling in New Olamn. Speaking of which, I will also be interested in the story behind the House of the Harp of Silverymoon, and how it was founded.

I love bards, see? Maybe I should have sent this to Elaine...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  14:51:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed’s reply to crazedventurers about Helmite festivals concludes, forthwith:

Hi again. Here we go . . .

STORMGUARD (Kythorn 6): Kulthan Stormguard was a Purple Dragon knight who was killed on this day in 1322 DR while single-handedly fighting outlaws in the King’s Forest, to defend woodcutters the outlaws had been terrorizing, robbing, and murdering. He had spent the last three years of his life riding hard from forest camp to cutters’ glade to hunting lodge to steading, trying to be everywhere at once in his attempts to make the King’s Forest safer. His death spurred the Dragons of the day to “scour out” the forest, markedly lessening brigand and monster attacks for more than a decade.
Today, the lauday of Stormguard is celebrated by martial demonstrations, contests, and tournaments throughout Cormyr, hosted, administered, and largely participated in by Purple Dragons (though anyone is welcome to participate, so long as they wear or use nothing magical, relying entirely on “prowess of arms”). It is a day when “all ranks are equal” in etiquette (and repercussions afterwards!) and policing, both overt and farscrying, is performed by the War Wizards.
The events of Stormguard, from endurance races in full armor to naked wrestling to swordfighting atop logs to lance-jousting in full armor on horseback, are performed in marketplaces and other venues where the public can gather to watch, cheer, and wager, and are accompanied by recruiting drives conducted by retired ex-Dragon veterans (who are handsomely paid for the day).
Drinking is forbidden and frowned-upon by Dragons taking part in Stormguard, but the Crown sponsors HUGE public feasts that begin at dusk. These are often enlivened locally by dancers on tables (sometimes local coinlasses looking to attract business for the wee hours) or by hedge-wizards performing spell-spectacles.

MAELRA (Flamerule 4): Maelra Hallowhand was a tall, strong farmer’s daughter who rose to fame as a horse-archer in the reign of Duar; she led a small local band of local youths (both hes and shes) in rides about the countryside northeastern Cormyr, keeping the peace and hunting prowling monsters (far more numerous in those days). Maelra was slain on this day in 471 DR by a villainous local baron who paid for his deed with his life, once the King discovered what had befallen.
Maelra’s lauday is celebrated with archery contests (in Cormyr, cash prizes for winners are provided by the Crown, via local lords, Purple Dragon commanders, and even tax collectors sent to smaller communities for this purpose), followed by evening feasts at which women famous for having guarded, defended, or watched over others are lauded with numerous toasts, pageants, and tale-telling.

SCORTRYN (Eleint 14): Elkar Scortryn was a mage of Neverwinter whose vigilance saved that city from a sneak attack that would otherwise probably have overwhelmed and destroyed it. Most orc hordes stream over the surface, in a vast moving mob of often-fractious tribes and factions whose leaders send out side-parties as much to keep them from fighting with each other as they are to seek out foes and plunder.
One that arose in 1339 DR came at the city through caverns and underground granaries, storage-chambers, and tunnels, moving on the surface only by night or under the cover of thick forest. By chance Scortryn noticed some orcs while farscrying a trail for a merchant client worried about a shipment that hadn’t shown up - - but on his own initiative the wizard started spell-searching known caverns between Neverwinter and the orcs he’d seen, and so discovered the horde.
On his own he gathered hedge-wizards, novice magelings, and adventurers in need of his coins into a defensive force that collapsed several caverns onto the heads of most of the horde, forcing the remnant to the surface where the hitherto-disbelieving folk of Neverwinter hurriedly mustered to arms and destroyed them in a series of bloody skirmishes that reached almost to the gates of Neverwinter itself.
The lauday of Scortryn is celebrated by priests and devout followers of Helm all across Faerûn feasting wixards, sorcerers, and especially novices, apprentices, untrained-in-Art talents, and would-be magelings, giving them gifts as well as food and drink, and proclaiming their names in local speeches (often bringing them to the attention of potential clients or tutors). Tales are told of vigilant mages who aid those around them benevolently (as opposed to the more common stories of local mages being either recluses or tyrants).

ANNTARRAVIN (Marpenoth 21): Torntyn Anntarravin was a weaponsmaster of Tethyr centuries ago, who served in several duchies of that realm training the soldiery - - not in battlefield tactics or war per se, but in personal vigilance while guarding places, valuables, or people (being properly equipped, remembering faces and names, varying where and when places are searched or looked at, working together properly so a guardian can never be caught alone, and so on). He’s credited for much of the effectiveness of bodyguards and gateguards in that realm, and by extension (as others observed and copied) other lands, too.
The lauday of Anntarravin is marked by local feasts of thanks for guardians (who have the day off, their duties typically being performed by priests of Helm, War Wizards or equivalent organizations, local guilds, and so on), whereat guardians can eat and drink for free. In recent decades, Anntarravin has also become a day when weapon makers and vendors, and especially makers and sellers of armor, helms, and shields, gather in trade fairs or set up their own “open tables” to sell their wares. (In Cormyr, the prohibition on carrying weapons is lifted for the day, so folk can shop without hindrance.)

BORDROS (Uktar 10): Bordros was a “robber baron” (self-styled lord, who ruled a band of raiders from his own mountain castle) active centuries ago in the mountains that now gird northern Amn. A large, brawling bear of a man, given to butchery, he had one redeeming quality: all priests, from hermits to those who dwelt in abbeys, were strictly “off limits” when it came to plunder and ill-treatment - - even those who took up arms against him! Moreover, he often came riding like nightwind [nomenclature note: “run like nightwind” or “ride like nightwind” is the Faerûnian equivalent of “pell-mell” or “hell for leather”] to the aid of temples, abbeys, and even individual priests if he heard they were threatened by others. Bordros gave his own offerings most heavily at the altars of Helm, but defended the religious of all faiths.
The lauday of Bordros is observed by local races, either afoot in full armor or mounted in full armor and gear (or both). These contests often have prizes, and are usually for long distances across country, with steeplechase-like walls, streams, and ditches to jump (as opposed to short dashes in confined areas), though in some cities they are great circuits through the city. The races have a history of violent spills and collisions. When the races are done, Helmite-sponsored feasting takes place until the next dawn, often accompanied by hard drinking and debauchery (it’s a no-consequences, let-one’s-hair-down time, even for the most devoute Helmites).

So saith Ed. And there you have it, Helmites everywhere (and Liz in her first foray as DM). Enjoy!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2005 :  16:05:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

So now we find Part 6:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fict/20051203a
Part 7 has arrived:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fict/20051217a

Just a quick one for Ed... How many more parts are there to "Oroon Rising"?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  00:14:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. In answer to some private queries from concerned scribes: no, I wasn’t joking about bullets. And no, I can’t say any more (a gal’s gotta keep SOME secrets, and I’m afraid I signed a paper some years back that said I would). Herewith, a reply from Ed to The Sage, regarding the current status of Castlemorn:

Hi, Sage! I, too, am eager to see this puppy published. If I can claw the necessary time away from family and chores before the end of the year, I want to go over its text to restore a consistent “voice” (I wrote it as a non-D&D-specific setting, and Fast Forward turned it into a d20 setting for commercial reasons; this is fine with me, but in the process a lot of text was generated by other pens than mine, and I just want to polish some of the prose. Studio 2 is indeed the new home of the book, and the art is GORGEOUS. Scribes who don’t give two hoots about one more fantasy setting might want to snap up the book just for the eye candy!
P.S. Glad you liked the Crimmor DRAGON article. There are more in the works, plus (thanks to the great Erik Mona) a surprise coming up, too. Can’t say more yet. :}

So saith Ed. So that’s the “fix” Krash referred to.
BTW: to David Lázaro: Ed thanks you for the congrats (he had to sweat blood to even try to squeeze in half of the events, characters, and “fun scenes” he wanted to put in this book, and promises one thing to every reader: it will be PACKED), and your request to drop the equine lore request is duly noted.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  00:18:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, Sage. An e-mail from Ed arrived JUST after I posted, to tell me (among other things), that he submitted "Oroon Rising" with 17 chapters, and that thus far the web postings have followed those chapters exactly. So expect ten more instalments of "pulpy" old-time D&D goodness.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  00:21:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ah, this is indeed great news . My thanks again Ed .

An "Erik Mona" surprise you say? Curious ...

Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  03:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
“Laudays” (festivals).
I say “more than seven” because some local temples celebrate an additional Lauday or two, to commemorate local guardians and protectors of note (almost always individuals who gave their lives to protect others). None of these additional festivals are observed in Cormyr.

Ahem... while I'm not fully versed in english language, if the festivals are not "observed" in Cormyr, this would mean that they are not celebrated right ?
But the text from the following festivals (ANNTARRAVIN, MAELRA and STORMGUARD) seems to indicate otherwise. I'm confused a little.

Merci

Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  05:59:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I think that means that the one or two extra Laudays that are celebrated regionally are not celebrated in Cormyr, just the ones detailed . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  06:50:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another question, spawned by what I was reading (The Chronicles of Narnia)...

Was the Underdark always part of the Realms, or was it something that was added later? Ditto for drow: did the Realms always have dark elves, or were they a later addition? And if dark elves in the Realms pre-dated drow, what were they like?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  08:51:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

I was pondering the Chosen of Mystra and some of your past replies about Mystra, and her power, and her investing her power in mortals. This led me to ponder Mystryl, who seemed even more powerful then Mystra and Midnight/Mystra.

So my pondering led to me this thought: Did Mystryl have any Chosen like Mystra and Midnight/Mystra does? If so, are any of them still "alive?" Or did they all die when she "died?" If there is anything else that you might want to add to this pondering of mine then it's more then welcome.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Dec 2005 08:52:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  15:45:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oooh, Kuje, dear: you tread into darkly perilous ground, approaching (gasp) a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon.
Heh-heh. Which is a grand way of saying Ed won't answer you directly. You'll have to wait (for some time) for a rather more public answer.
Heh heh heh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  15:52:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Scarabeus, KnightErrantJR is indeed correct.
Ed was saying he didn't detail the additional laudays because they weren't observed (yes, celebrated) in Cormyr, which is where the questor's campaign is based. All of the laudays Ed did detail are celebrated almost everywhere in the known Realms, among faithful of Helm. This includes Cormyr.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  17:38:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Oooh, Kuje, dear: you tread into darkly perilous ground, approaching (gasp) a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon.
Heh-heh. Which is a grand way of saying Ed won't answer you directly. You'll have to wait (for some time) for a rather more public answer.
Heh heh heh.
love,
THO

Pesky NDA's.

Now that makes me hesitant to use that idea in a future article. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000