Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

LoneHeroDragon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  17:32:34  Show Profile  Visit LoneHeroDragon's Homepage Send LoneHeroDragon a Private Message
Hi. I was wondering if somebody could answer this question for me. In the 2004 version of this thread someone gave information about this area, but I washoping to get more.
I'm a writer. I've been reading Forgotten Realms for pleasure for a couple years, now. Though, I've only read R.A.Salvatore books so far. And not even even all of them, yet.
I recently met someone who was trying to write a forgotten realms book of his own. He wants to write the beginnings of his character in West Faerun. Well, I asked him if he wanted me to create a character as well and maybe we could collaborate. He thjought it was a great idea. So I created a character, (quite an original one, if I must say so myself), and a birthplace for him east of the great desert. Just east of it, actually.
The character I chose was a half-elf, half-silver dragon. The mother, the Elf, lives in the northern border forest... (which reading through a prior post on here, i learned that no elves live in northern border forest because it's so hostile), and the father, the Dragon, makes his lair in the mountains just to the north of that.. The White Peak mountains, I believe.
Well, this union of dragon and elf is supposed to take place in the year 1218.
I was wondering if anybody knows how i can salvage as much of this as possible after learning this information...
As well as maybe giving me some info on the area.
(The government of Whitehorn and Ilinvur...The people of said towns... The barbarians of that time and maybe any other info I may need to write in this area.)

If somebody could please help me out.... I'd be forever grateful.

Thank you.

Rich Horrocks

Rich Horrocks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  23:16:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
So Ed. :)

This was posted on the WOTC boards, I'd love to see if you know anything about this.

"I'm sorry to ruin everyone's hopes, but there's no way there will be a movie for Forgotten Realms. In fact, Wizards of the Coast has made it clear that they're abandoning the setting sometime before 2007. There are already plans to publish a final adventure and corresponding novel(s) (likely a trilogy). These will detail the final fall of Faerun and the death of most of the prominent characters of the world. While it hasn't been stated if Elminster will die or not, the following character deaths have been announced.

NPCs slated to die

Drizz't (RA Salvatore confirmed this)
Khelben (WotC mistakenly released this)
The Simbul (hinted at by Greenwood)
Cyric (also hinted at by Greenwood)
Manshoon (directly stated by Greenwood, though it's not like he hasn't died before)
Fzoul (also directly stated by Greenwood)

For those of you that are curious, here are some more rumors about the End of FR.

-The end will involve some kind of large divine war, similar to the time of the troubles. We will get a chance to see Ao in an actual combat as well. From what I've heard, at one point Ao and Helm engage in combat against Bane, Shar, Tyr, Kelemvor and some new being called 'the Eternal one'.
-The story will feature a mass invasion of Toril by the Nine Hells (this was partially hinted at in the novel 'Elminster in Hell').
-Elminster finally ascends to godhood.
-Karsus will make an appearance.

Anyway, that's what I know right now... if anyone else has heard anything about this, feel free to let me know, since I'm very interested in this upcoming series and information on it is very hard to come by right now."

And his follow up reply:

"That's a good question. Some of it came from sources which I'd prefer not divulge at this time.

The quote from RA Salvatore about the death of Drizz't can be found on http://www.rasalvatore.com somewhere. Salvatore made it pretty clear that Drizz't was going to die in the end of FR series of novels that would be released.

The death of Khelben came from a slip during a WotC PR representative. It isn't published anywhere since WotC is actively trying to cover it up (and will likely lock this thread after hearing that I reprinted it). WotC actually doesn't want to officially comment on the end of Faerun series at all yet, though a lot of others like Greenwood and Salvatore have already started talking about it.

Some of the other information was hinted at by Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms. Greenwood is by far the main mind behind the end of the realms. Greenwood however is also annoyingly elusive about any details, and has only placed vague hints as to what might happen. I wouldn't treat them as 100% accurate. Greenwood did officially say Manshoon and Fzoul will both die. You can probably find that on the internet somewhere, I remember seeing it on several websites. Just do a google search.

Anyway, as for products being released after 2007, I haven't heard anything about those. As far as I know, the mainstream Forgotten Realms will no longer be produced by WotC. It's possible some third party company will buy up the rights to Forgotten Realms and start publishing new material of course, but WotC doesn't have any plans whatsoever for new Forgotten Realms material after they publish the end of Faerun novels and quests. It's likely that any FR material that you've seen is actually books that will detail the end of Faerun itself if it's coming out around 2007. Maybe the publish date of the end of Faerun series got pushed back, I really wouldn't be surprised, given that it's such a large project featuring multiple authors and game designers.

Anyway, I hope that answers most of your questions and helped to clear things up."

Man, there's a lot of hand waving going on in this post like I heard here and here that this is so. But he doesn't give us links or proof. Ed has been hinting about it but again, no proof and just do a google search for the info. Etc.

And it continues even after Rich said that there are no plans for WOTC to end FR. EVER. The poster ignored that and all of our replies that says that there is material being made for 2007, 2008, and 2009 and he posted this:

"That's what you'd think, but you have to factor into the mix that each additional supplement produces diminishing returns. The FRCS core book for instance, made a great deal of profit. Magic of Faerun was similarly profitable. Fewer people bought Underdark, Silver Marches and Unapproachable East. Fewer still bought Serpent Kingdoms and Lost empires of Faerun. The same thing actually happened to TSR when they tried to publish all sorts of obscure FR material. A company cannot reasonably expect to sustain a profit that way.

In an effort to avoid TSR's mistakes, I believe WotC has decided to get out while things are going well, instead of producing a multitude of supplements of diminishing value.

It is certain that almost every die hard FR fan will want to know how the story ends, and will buy up most, if not all, of the end of Forgotten Realms material. I can say personally that I will be buying all that material. The whole endeavor is going to be a great money maker for WotC, and if they ever do decide to bring back Forgotten Realms at a later date (perhaps coinciding with the release of D&D 4th edition), they have done enough damage to the setting to warrant a new core book and can start all over again.

Financially, the plan is a great one."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 16 Dec 2005 23:03:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  23:45:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

This was posted on the WOTC boards, I'd love to see if you know anything about this.
As would I. I was actually reading this with a mind toward it being some kind of nonsense joke, but the poster seems serious enough... .

I'd also like to know where WotC have "made it clear"... If it was this clear, then why is it that hardly anyone else has picked up on it? I mean really... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  02:17:57  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
That rumour should be false. Observe that the first volume of the Knights of Myth Drannor is supposed to be published on August, 2006. So the 2007 date could not be correct.

Also, we know how good Ed is about keeping secrets related to NDAs, two hints by him and two direct statements doesn't sound like him at all.

And last, it would be silly to kill the realms. Such a good property has a very high resell value even if WotC were not interested in it anymore.

I hope someone from Wizards does an official statement so that blasphemous poster can be shut.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  04:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Also didnt Ed say that WIzards where starting to sign him up to do FR stuff beyond 2009 (When the last book in his Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy finishes)

I smell a Troll

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  05:10:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I smell a pack of trolls. That have been rolling around in a pigpen.

Just where do these things come from, I wonder?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  05:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I smell a pack of trolls. That have been rolling around in a pigpen.

Just where do these things come from, I wonder?

-- George Krashos

The minds of Infidels

(and by Infidels I mean Greyhawk and Eberron fans )

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  15:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message
quote:
The minds of Infidels

(and by Infidels I mean Greyhawk and Eberron fans )

Hey!! We Greyhawk fans were around long before you!!! (Goes back to grazing alongside the other dinosaurs.)

Doesn't look like a very likely idea to me. The FR setting still sells, if not quite as much as it used to, and I can't believe that WotC would deliberately "crash-and-burn" the setting even if it didn't. I know they did make dramatic changes to Krynn, but that was to accomodate rules changes. Other settings they've dropped haven't had world-killing material published. After all, they might want to come back to the setting one day.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  20:05:18  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

"I'm sorry to ruin everyone's hopes, but there's no way there will be a movie for Forgotten Realms. In fact, Wizards of the Coast has made it clear that they're abandoning the setting sometime before 2007. There are already plans to publish a final adventure and corresponding novel(s) (likely a trilogy). These will detail the final fall of Faerun and the death of most of the prominent characters of the world. While it hasn't been stated if Elminster will die or not, the following character deaths have been announced.

I see two possibilities here. Either Hasbro has gone completely Kafka, or the poster needs to get his mind examined by professionals. The Unnamable Boards surprise me yet again........

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  22:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
MMm..You should have seen the first (my) reply to his post Khorne.

Simple put, it was a large "WTF" and a "thank you"

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2005 :  22:36:12  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Answer by Richard Baker over those boards we love to hate :

quote:
can't say for sure what any particular authors might be up to with particular characters, because I don't work directly with the authors--I'm on the game side of the house, and writing books is moonlighting for me. However, I do know that we have no plans to end FR. Ever.

Edited by - Skeptic on 16 Dec 2005 22:36:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  03:32:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again at long last, fellow scribes. I’m back, hopefully to stay (there may of course be the odd day around Christmas when I can’t get to a computer, but otherwise . . .). Thank you for all of the good wishes; I’m almost back to normal (for now: I suspect arthritis will creep up on me through my wounds, in later years) now.
Whew; such a heap of Realmslore queries have piled up at the castle gates whilst I was away from my post. The last one (let’s call it The Great WotC Abandonment of the Realms) seems to be upsetting to some scribes, so I handed it to Ed first. The creator of the Realms was “doing the Dance of Doneness” (as TSR designers used to call it) regarding the first Knights book
. . . which of course means he’s got another six major writing projects (by my count) to tackle by the end of the year.
However, he’s also eager to get back to answering Realmslore queries, so here we go:

Hi! Well met. Here I am, happy and eager to resume Realmslore replies, and THO hands me THIS. Sheesh. :}
It may well be a troll, but I’m going to treat it as a post made seriously by someone who cares about the Realms as a fan - - if only to produce a reply that will be of benefit to people who are Realms fans.
Here we go:
I have the impression that legal encumbrances to the Realms brand may keep future movies as “D&D,” yes. The rest of the post can best be described as a grand and impressive castle built on . . . empty air.
For NDA and “not ruining the fun for all of you” reasons, I won’t discuss future plans for the Realms in any detail. Nor will I speak for other writers and designers and their projects - - and I am not and never have been a TSR or a WotC employee, and so can’t speak for Wizards.
However, I can comment on what I’m supposed to have said, and a (very) little about what I’m doing.
In many GenCon panels I have answered questions about THE NATURE of Realms characters (as opposed to their fates) that can be construed, by those who desire to “twist” my words out of context, to be forecasting character deaths.
For instance, I have said, in replies to “questions from the floor” in GenCon seminars, that both The Simbul and Cyric CAN be killed, and that the behaviour of both often leads them into situations of survival-risk for them both (The Simbul’s personal recklessness and habit of full-fireballs-ahead attacks on Red Wizards, Cyric’s habit of doublecrossing every deity he can reach and the imprudent actions his insanity leads him into). That’s not the same as hinting that they’re going to die soon.
In like manner, I have confirmed at GenCon seminars that not only can Manshoon and Fzoul be killed, they have both been killed already (Manshoon many times), and raised. I have also observed that Fzoul, having risen to the top of the Zhentarim, in part by switching deities whenever it will benefit him personally, is now a target for many, and probably overdue for energetic assassination attempts. Again, that’s not the same thing as “directly stating” Fzoul’s going down soon.
If it makes the WotC-boards poster happy, I’ll say it again: Fzoul and Manshoon WILL both die. Eventually. Happens to all of us if we’re mortal, remember?
As for the rest of the post: I hinted about “a mass invasion of Toril by the Nine Hells” in ELMINSTER IN HELL? Really?
Wow, I’m GOOD. I mean: really good. So good that I can sneak things past myself, evidently. I must look into fully exploiting this power, as I seem to be a few million bucks short at the moment.
“Elminster finally ascends to godhood”? I doubt it. For one thing, his sanity wouldn’t take it. For another, anyone who reads THE TEMPTATION OF ELMINSTER closely should realize Elminster doesn’t want, and would renounce, such power (godly power is the “temptation” he faces in that book, despite what some commentators have said). If divine power was forced on him, he just might suicide to avoid existence as a god. (And I say this as the world’s greatest living expert on Elminster. So there.)
As for this: “WotC actually doesn't want to officially comment on the end of Faerun series at all yet, though a lot of others like Greenwood and Salvatore have already started talking about it.” and this: “Greenwood is by far the main mind behind the end of the realms.”
These are flat-out untrue. I have “started talking” about no such thing, and am certainly not the “main mind” behind any such plan, being as it’s news to me. :}
As for my placing “vague hints” about future Realms events (“Greenwood however is also annoyingly elusive about any details, and has only placed vague hints as to what might happen.”): yup, guilty as charged. I’ve been doing so in print since 1979, and plan to continue to do so. It’s one of the little things I can do to help keep the Realms feeling “alive.” It’s also a way to keep all Realms fans playing the favourite “What If?” game: considering what MIGHT happen in the Realms - - and of course, really can happen in your Realms campaign, if you want them to.
I did as the poster suggested: Googling myself to try to find myself “officially” saying Manshoon and Fzoul will both die. Weird feeling, that. Searching to see if a cyber self (or someone masquerading online as you) said something you KNOW you haven’t said. Unfortunately for the poster, I couldn’t find myself saying any such thing. Bummer. So much for the scheme of robbing the bank while I give myself a perfect alibi by speaking in pyblic somewhere. Guess I’ll just have to earn money the old-fashioned way.
As for Realms products not being published after 2007: let’s see, three Knights novels, one a year, from 2006 through 2008, and then - - whups, can’t tell you about that yet, or that, or THOSE. Let me just say this: I CAN confirm that I have been involved in discussions about future Realms projects that will be released after 2007, and that “the end of Faerûn itself” has NOT been one of them.
The poster thereafter mentioned a truism of all series publishing: that unless a series is on a sharp upswing in popularity (which usually means it’s either one of those rare word-of-mouth bandwagons, a la Harry Potter or DaVinci Code, or massive publicity campaigns are being mounted, like most Hollywood blockbusters, e.g. the current Narnia), it’s declining. The norm is that sequels of sequels of sequels sell less than the initial burst (comics speculators used to call it the “first-issue bump”). However, note that the poster jumped from this valid truism to an “I believe” (and therefore) conclusion.
Well, * I * believe that I’m the most handsome and desirable man in the world. Therefore, women will start hurling themselves at me, on sight. Now, it hasn’t happened yet, but perhaps I just live in a village populated by women with poor eyesight. Yeah, that’s it! (Nothing wrong with my belief, just because there’s as yet no evidence to support it . . .)
And in closing, I must say I agree with the poster that the plan he’s outlined IS financially “a great one.” I should remind him that the release of a “new core book” and starting all over again tactic he mentions has in fact been the often-stated policy over the entire life of the published Realms: release a new “baseline” Realms product (the first two were boxed sets, the third the FRCS) about every ten years, in a cycle that updates the setting for new generations of buyers AND to reflect the “in-setting” changes passing Realms-time has wrought (plus restate things in terms of the latest game mechanics of whatever rules iteration is current).
It’s very likely that someday there will be a 4th edition of D&D, and when that day comes, that there will indeed shortly thereafter be a 4th edition Realms baseline product. I hope to be a part of it . . . but then again, if all those women do throw themselves at me, I may get crushed to death long before that day comes. :}
Okay, THO, hand me a REAL Realmslore question . . .

And there you have it: so emphatically saith Ed. Hope that helps, Kuje.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  03:52:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
My thanks THO and Ed, as usual. :)

And now I can stop twitching from withdrawl because both of you have returned. :) Yay!

Also, THO, when you have a chance check your email.... There's no rush though on helping me finish that project. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Dec 2005 04:06:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:00:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ah, so our Lady Herald has returned to us at last... oh glorious days!

And we have a new reply from Ed -- putting to rest those nonsense comments I see. Good.

I'll be curious to read what the poster responsible for these claims over at WotC has to say about a direct reply from the Old Bearded One himself...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  04:05:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ah, so our Lady Herald has returned to us at last... oh glorious days!

And we have a new reply from Ed -- putting to rest those nonsense comments I see. Good.

I'll be curious to read what the poster responsible for these claims over at WotC has to say about a direct reply from the Old Bearded One himself...

I can't post Ed's reply in the thread that the poster originally posted in because I reported it and it has since been closed and the mods said to stop trolling, but it'll be in my monday update. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:04:54  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Ahhhh *sigh of contentment* The Hooded One hath returned to us. Thank you for bringing us Ed's swift reply to that silly notion, and lots of thank yous to Ed for the reply. On the subject of Arthritis - really warm tea tends to help when my fingers start hurting (one would think I'd know better than to sleep in a draft with that being common in the family...).

And to stay on topic (bad habit I know, I'm trying to break it, but it makes the moderators happy): I was wondering if Ed could perhaps expand a bit on the baronial famililes of Delmyr, mentioned in his New Adventures of Volo article (Hin, Nobody Knows) from Dragon #269. In particular the names of the various family heads and closest heirs.

Edit: Post no. 666 - so...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 18 Dec 2005 05:05:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:05:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ed, my Lady Hooded One, it's good to see y'all again! Welcome back!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:31:33  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Welcome back Lady and Ed! Glad to see you here again and thanks for putting an end to that trollish paranoia.
Go to Top of Page

butterflyght
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:37:17  Show Profile  Visit butterflyght's Homepage Send butterflyght a Private Message
Hi, there! I'm kind of new to this, hope I don't bother anybody with my silly questions, so here goes!
I'm getting ready to play in a pirate-type game, set in the Sea of Fallen Stars. My character is your typical runaway noble-turned-pirate (AL CG Swashbuckler going for honorable Dread Pirate) from Suzail (the DM and I are leaning towards one of the Silver families, to show how selfish my character's actions were by demonstrating a heavy responsibility she was to have fulfilled before running away). She's also an Air Genasi (one of her ancestors dallied with an air djinn before going to what is now Cormyr). Her father was a Blue Dragon (have yet to decide what rank, leaning toward Commodore or Admiral-- he was in it for a really long time), and her brother's in training to become a Purple Dragon (so her family's very loyal to the crown and Cormyr). If you want more information about her background and personality, I'll be happy to help-- already written out most of the details of her background and I can tell you her personality so far as well.
Anyways, here are my questions:
**What are some good Cormyrian names for her family? She has a mother, a father, a younger brother, and a younger sister(who is already named, along with my character).
** The DM and I are leaning towards a Crownsilver. In that case, how can I make her and her immediate family fit into them without upsetting the canon too much?
I'm almost done with the Cormyr Trilogy, so I at least know that much about Cormyr. I've also read a good deal of the Forgotten Realms campaign settings (including, but not limited to, Races of Faerun, Faiths and Pantheons, and the Forgotten Realms core book.

Malice Mizer. You know you love them.

Edited by - butterflyght on 19 Dec 2005 09:31:42
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:38:21  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Uh, and Ed, congrats for finishing that first novel.
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:39:37  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
(First in the Knights series, of course, heh, heh)
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:42:48  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Lady Hooded One, please discard my (very) old query about horses; I've just received my copy of Champions of Valor and noticed a big section about equines at the end of the book. Lovely product, by the way.
Go to Top of Page

butterflyght
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:43:04  Show Profile  Visit butterflyght's Homepage Send butterflyght a Private Message
quote:

"I'm sorry to ruin everyone's hopes, but there's no way there will be a movie for Forgotten Realms."

Then why was there a movie on the SciFi channel set in FR, I wonder...? (Although I didn't get the chance to see it )

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  05:56:06  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
That guy over Wotc boards will say that this return of Ed and THO MUST be part of the conspiracy :)
Go to Top of Page

butterflyght
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2005 :  06:02:08  Show Profile  Visit butterflyght's Homepage Send butterflyght a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Vangerdahast is BOTH "Chairman Emperius of the College of War Wizards" AND "Chairman Emeritus of the College of War Wizards." The first version is the title he gave himself (after a suggestion by Elminster, with whom he was then still on friendly terms) when he re-organized the College of the War Wizards (the organization, housed in a few spell-trapped rooms of the Royal Court in Suzail, with “mirror” records hidden somewhere else rural) that confers formal membership in the War Wizards, keeps rolls of members (genealogies, truenames, identifying marks, oaths of membership, reports by them and about them, heraldry [personal sigils and runes], notes of spells they’ve created, and so on).
Vangey officially became “Chairman Emeritus” when he got too busy to personally direct the daily operations of this College, and turned it over to a quartet of senior (and aging) War Wizards (yes, as “reward jobs”for their declining years).
However (being the crafty power-monger that Vangey, above all, is) he never resigned his formal title, and indeed still draws pay from the Royal Treasury under it (he gets no salary as Royal Magician, though as Court Wizard he controls a very large budget that isn’t supposed to be spent on himself beyond replacing his robes). This also keeps his four replacements reporting to him almost daily, as opposed to filing written reports once a month (or more often, upon demand) to the Court Wizard.

**Spoilers for Elminster's Daughter**
What about now, when Vangey is being turned into a dragon to aid in the protection of Cormy? Is he, even now, a holder of all those titles?

Edited by - butterflyght on 18 Dec 2005 06:18:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  01:12:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Yes, 'tis good to be back. Thanks for all the good wishes, and the new Realmslore queries, too!
Herr Doktor, Ed finally replies to your March Calimshan queries: “Most of the existing Realms resources on Calimshan seem to present it as an adventure locale for foreigners rather than an adventure locale for locals. Are Calishite adventurers adventuring in Calimshan an uncommon occurence? Where do they fit in the social scheme of Calimshan? How does their being adventurers effect their social standing (i.e. Calishites must be married by 20 and be running/involved in a successful business venture [does adventuring qualify?]). Also, if you could perhaps provide and adventure hook or two (or LOTS) for local adventurers in the area I'd be very much thankful.”
Ed speaks:

I’m speaking in gross generalizations here, but adventuring within Calimshan, by Calishites, is frowned upon by the pashas and rulers, because adventurers represent an armed challenge to social order (and the authority of the pashas and rulers!). So unless adventuring can be passed off as “scouring monsters and brigands out of remote hills,” “tracking down and dealing with outlaws,” or “caravan guarding,” adventurers are often treated as little better than brigands.
However, Calishite merchants have a long tradition of finding things, settling scores, and protecting their goods with armed guards - - and Calishite temples have always had “holy “ or “anointed” guardians who do more than patrol temple grounds against thieves and vandals; they sally forth on expeditions ordered (or even led) by priests to find things, make diplomatic visits, provide escorts, and (yes) settle scores.
In addition, every pasha, yshah, ynamalik, sultan, and caleph (and frontier bandit lord; such individuals almost always style themselves “satraps”) has their own adventurers, usually three distinct groups (which their master plays off against each other as rivals, each spying on the others): a personal bodyguard, a publicly-known “razra” or strike force, and a little-known “saress” or ‘Silent Hand’ (dirty-work group).
Adventurers who personally serve a ruler enjoy high status (linked to that of the ruler), those of temples just a shade less so, and those of pashas are generally regarded as “solid and respectable” if their master is. Unattached adventurers are seen as little better than brigands (but also as dashing heroes by many women and some men among tavern-drinkers), and those who serve private merchants are lowly everyday working swords, apt to be brutal and given to trickery, but serving causes that have enriched the realm for centuries.
Many Calishites of higher status and urban wealth allow themselves to indulge inner xenophobic tendencies by looking down upon (from sneering and spitting to street violence or legal persecution) all who are visibly “outlanders” (less politely: “outlander dogs” or “less” [short for “less-than-human”]). Therefore, adventurers who aren’t (at a casual glance) Calishite will have a lesser status (in the ranges described in the preceding paragraph) than those who are seen as Calishite. Interestingly, rural Calishites are usually wary of all strangers (Calishite and otherwise), but have little of this hatred and racism. It should be noted that urban racism is tempered by the laws and strict enforcement of same practised by most rulers, against all acts that might discourage trade (i.e. stop foreign merchants from coming, out of fears for personal safety or beliefs that trade will be nigh-impossible due to local hostility). So merchants may be looked down-upon, but won’t be treated badly (whereas adventurers and mercenaries may well be shown open contempt). I say again: I’m expressing gross generalizations; on a person-to-person level, behaviour may be far different.

So saith Ed. Yes, we’re back in the saddle, folks; more Realmslore replies in the days to come.
BTW, Ed thinks Blueblade’s idea of scribes identifying Realms NPCs you’d like to see a little more of, in future novels and short stories, is a great one: please post your choices here!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  01:30:58  Show Profile
quote:
BTW, Ed thinks Blueblade’s idea of scribes identifying Realms NPCs you’d like to see a little more of, in future novels and short stories, is a great one: please post your choices here!
love to all,
THO

Alright-going all the way back to the DM's Sourcebook of the Realms, (and assuming nothing's happened to them since then in supplements I haven't checked), I place votes for Durkin(page 20) and Farene of Westgate(page 33, in the merchants listing).

And a general lore query: Again, assuming something hasn't happened to the character since the DM's Sourcebook of the Realms, how's Aldolphus(page 17) doing these days, especially considering his close bond with the now deceased Azoun IV?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  02:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A bunch of Spellfire and Shadow of the Avatar related questions

1) Does the Thayan enclave in Triel still exist?

2)In Spellfire Lhaeo says that Elminster told him that he was the last Member of the Tethyr Royal family, how then did Elminster miss Lady Thione (and her daughter)?

3) In crown of Fire Mirt says that Lady Duskreene had ruled here before Cormyr was founded. Now before Cormyr was founded Hullocks Forest would have fallen within the borders of The Lands of the Purple Dragon and the lands won by Iliphar Nelnueve. Neither of whom are likely to allow humans to setup in their mists

Cormyr was founded in 26 DR

Circa -200 Chondathan emigrants settle in Sembia

-205 Illipar Nelnueve beats Thauglorimorgorus and becomes ruler of "Cormyr"

???? to -205DR "Cormyr" ruled by the black dragon Thauglorimorgorus

Given this I can think of the following 2 options

A) Mirt has Netherese ancestors (The Netherese would probably have been powerful enough to keep Thauglorimorgorus and his dragons at bay long enough to establish Tethgard

B) Mirt has Draconic ancestors of some sort

4)What Deity do the Malaugrym worship?

5)There seems to be quite a few simlarities between the stories of Malaug and the Malaugrym and Lord Shadow and Shade enclave. After reading th Shadow of the Avatar trilogy again I was begining to suspect that Malaug and the Netherils Lord Shadow may be one and the same.......

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  03:43:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

In no particular order: Elsura Dauniir, Mintiper Moonsilver, Asilther Graelor, Susprina Arkhenneld, and Baelam the Bold -- particularly the latter three.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  08:15:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Dargoth: Malaug was, among other aliases, the leader of the Magelords and was killed by Elminster at the very end of Making of a Mage. I asked Ed about it directly sometime in 2004 (I think) and he confirmed it. So Malaug can't be Shadow (though it's an interesting thought... I'd love a novel or a series of short stories dealing with Shade in the Demiplane of Shadow).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000