Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  18:36:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I wonder if that means that one or more of the Netherese survivors is/was a Chosen of Mystryl...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  18:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Or someone (aparently) older than Netheril...

Chosen of Moradin, looking suspiciously to an bearded crazy old guy under Waterdeep....

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  19:03:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

This might be under NDA but I had to ask this for Daimyotx:

"Okay - I consider myself fairly knowledgable about the Realms & D&D, however I came across something that has me wondering.

There are still a few novels that I haven't read, and since I decided to brush up on some, I got my hands on Realms of the Underdark, first printing 1996.

Now the 2nd story in this anthology is titled A Slow Day in Skullport by Ed Greenwood. There is a brief scene in it where Elminster, Laeral, & Halaster are conversing, and Halaster said something that piqued my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realms of the Underdark (©1996 TSR, Inc.), A Slow Day in Skullport by Ed Greenwood
"What little sanity I have I owe to him," Halaster replied, "and I respect him for his mastery of magic--and his compassion--more than any other living mage. Yet, for what he did to me... what he had to do to me... I bear him no great love."

Now what, exactly, is this referring to? Can someone point me to a novel or sourcebook with more information regarding whatever Halaster is referring to? Anything would be appreciated."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  21:27:47  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Chosen of Moradin, looking suspiciously to an bearded crazy old guy under Waterdeep....

Skeptic looks at Warlock's Crypt...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  00:23:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I wonder if that means that one or more of the Netherese survivors is/was a Chosen of Mystryl...

Hmmm... Put this together with Ed's 27th of February 2004 reply and you get some rather curious and intriguing results!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  02:38:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hmmm... Put this together with Ed's 27th of February 2004 reply and you get some rather curious and intriguing results!

And to make things easier for everyone, said post can be found here:
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=2

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  03:23:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Thank you, Jamallo Kreen. ’Tis good to be back, and Happy Yule to you, too!
And Hel - LO, there, Wooly (she breathed). Long time no tease . . .
Ahem. I can answer your question (“Where does the nickname "Weirdbeard" come from?”) all by myself.
The Weirdbeard name comes from Ed’s niece, who when riding around on him like a horse (when she was seven or eight), dubbed him “Uncle Weirdbeard.” Ed loved the name, and it stuck. No less than three female players (myself included) have been known to stroke him and coo, “Ohhh, darling Weirdbeard” in blatant attempts to sway the DM into being merciful to our characters. (As Ed is inherently merciful, it usually works.)
So there. (wink)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  03:30:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
There you have it Wooly . . . you'll have to start letting your whiskers grow wild so THO has something to stroke . . . er . . . nevermind . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  03:37:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Kuje, please tell Daimyotx that Ed makes reply to his query thus:

I’m afraid you’ve stumbled across an as-yet-untold tale of the Realms (so no novel or sourcebook exists that will help you). I certainly plan to share it with all Realms fans someday, yet I can now let slip these very paltry tidbits:

Halaster respects Elminster’s (demonstrated, in magic done to him or in his presence, and I’m going to reveal here and now that it was the former) mastery of Art and his compassion (towards Halaster, of course), yet Halaster was not pleased by something El did to him, and “had to” do to him, almost certainly to carry out Mystra’s orders, and almost certainly because of Halaster’s insanity (insane behaviour).

So saith Ed, and there you have all that can be told at the present time. Just wallowing in 'almost certainties,' here . . .
love,
THO
P.S. Now, KnightErrantJR, don't get me started. 'Tis already warm in here, and I'm starting to purr . . .
In the words of Queen Filfaeril : "Ah, my lord, but when stroke becomes pull, THEN the Dragon will roar."
Ahem.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 Dec 2005 03:47:05
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  03:51:44  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

And to make things easier for everyone, said post can be found here:
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=2

Okay, wait.

Do you mean it's intriguing if you add the Netherese survivors bit to the Chosen of Mystryl bit, or do you mean adding the nicknames for Ed bit to the Weirdbeard bit?
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  05:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message
Dornal Silverhand is an interesting character I would like to see more of, especially after reading Ed's response to a question on him. There's a lot of depth and emotion there. His story really taps into the feel of mythology with immortality (rather the inability to die), lifetimes of loss, and the favor (and curse) of a goddess.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  05:45:21  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Interesting NPCs for me :

Marune "the Masked"

(Of course I know he was covered in CoS, but not enough for me, he's the main NPC of my campaign..)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  06:40:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
My thanks Ed and THO for the quick reply about Hally. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2005 :  22:34:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Another WOTC post for Ed,

Createvmind asked me to ask, "Can a spellcaster duplicate a doompits effects, create a doompit elsewhere, and can a spark be moved about?"

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2005 :  16:13:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time, Ed makes reply to MW Turnage, about this query: “I recently reread 'Elminster at the Magefair' in Realms of Valor. Roughly when was this supposed to have occurred? It doesn't sound as if Storm had travelled all that much with Elminster, nor does it sound like many of those at the Magefair knew who he was? Was this after his return from one of his lengthy off-Toril absences?”
Ed makes reply:

Hi, Mark. “Elminster at the Magefair” is set in the Year of the Dark Dragon, 1336 DR. At the time of this tale, Storm HADN’T travelled all that much with Elminster (certainly not in recent years, or overland by foot and on horseback, as opposed to teleporting here and there).
You’re quite correct: many of the mages attending the Magefair didn’t know who Elminster was, and here’s why: he seldom attends Magefairs in his own guise, the majority of regular attendees at Magefairs tend to be young, rising, ambitious wizards (in this, it’s somewhat akin to real-world writers and gamers, vis-a-vis conventions), and to most wizards across Faerûn, “Elminster” is a semi-mythic name, of some probably-long-dead mage who’s infamous for doing this, that, and the other, and may or may not really be one of Mystra’s Chosen, but in any case isn’t real (or at least “around,” to be met with) today.
This is one of the unfortunate distortions caused by Realms fiction (the result of TSR and later WotC editors wanting me to write Elminster, Elminster, and more Elminster): many observers of the Realms tend to think Elminster and the Seven have something of the widely-accepted social status in the Realms of rock stars or Hollywood celebs, known and constantly talked about by all. The truth is, for the majority of arcane spellcasters, they’re names out of legend or tall tavern tales, who may or may not really have done this or that. Most wizards in the Realms certainly don’t live their lives ever expecting to meet Elminster. And, yes, El had been keeping a low public profile for some years prior to the story, living and working (on behind-the-scenes stuff, not coercing rulers and having public confrontations with VIPs) in various disguises or personas while in Faerûn and travelling often to other planes and continents.

So saith Ed. Who’ll return with more Realmslore tomorrow. Promise.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2005 :  18:27:55  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message
Ed,

Any chance a 3.5 version of the Haunted Halls in Dungeon kinda like what Rob Kuntz has done with Erik Mona?

Keep up the great work!
Merry CHristmas and Happy New Year!

Mike
relative boards newbie

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  01:04:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. This time around, Ed tackles Ladejarl’s July query: “Pray ask the Bearded One if he is free to share any lore on which faiths are represented among the druids of the Misty Forest. Also the names of some the druids of importance in the forest would be much appreciated.”
Ed replies:

Ladejarl, the presence of the wood elves has kept the Misty Forest a little light on human druids, but my notes record a handful:
• the elderly Loregrim Thandaron (high-level human male druid of Silvanus, formerly of Neverwinter), who has at least two young, very low-level assistants plus rangers he habitually works with
• the reclusive, quiet, sometimes-mistaken-for-a-dryad Alaelyss (“Al-LAEL-lice”) Ombarton (formerly of Tethyr), a tall, plain-featured, careless-of-clothing, usually barefoot, wild-haired druid of Eldath who spends much of her time planting, tending, and propogating mosses, ferns, lichens, and tree seedlings, and improving both drainage and water sources; she definitely works and dwells alone, having as friends a few elves, dryads, and other forest creatures
• the sleek, leather-clad, impish-humoured Talantra Malalkin (born in Waterdeep, but hailing from many places since), a worldly, much-travelled druid of Mielikki who has settled in the Misty Forest as “perfect for her,” but is eager to hear news of the wider world and to guide or host adventurers and other intruders; she maintains a cave in the Misty Forest where travellers can shelter - - and forest denizens can know where such intruders are, and need not worry about them cutting firewood or trying to hack out campsites; Talantra works with many rangers, not just of her own faith, and (like some sort of military officer) likes to know what’s befalling on the High Moor at all times, so as to be prepared for trouble
I’m afraid I don’t have levels or stats for these characters. My lore notes say that all of them co-exist peacefully with the elves, and work with them unhesitatingly to repel strong threats from the High Moors (such as orcs with lit torches who want to do a little “forest clearance”). I hope this scanty lore is of some help.

So saith Ed. Who will be back with more Realmslore replies, the next one tomorrow.
In the meantime, Merry Yule, Happy Solstice Afterdance, Merry Christmas, and Grand Hannukah and Kwanzaa and High Reindeer Feast to all!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Dec 2005 15:23:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  02:10:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Realmslore from the Old Bearded One... On Christmas Day!

What a wonderful present indeed . Thank you Ed and to you as well THO. Merry Christmas to you both .

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  02:39:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

What a wonderful present indeed . Thank you Ed and to you as well THO. Merry Christmas to you both .

Perhaps we should make up a 12 days of Faerun jingle!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  02:42:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Hehe... I just helped out on a Classic BattleTech-themed 12 Days on the CBT message boards . I'll have to send it to Wooly, he'll appreciate it...

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Dec 2005 02:45:40
Go to Top of Page

MW Turnage
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  04:44:50  Show Profile Send MW Turnage a Private Message
quote:

What The Sage said. Happy respective festivities to all.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  07:22:25  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And, yes, El had been keeping a low public profile for some years prior to the story, living and working (on behind-the-scenes stuff, not coercing rulers and having public confrontations with VIPs) in various disguises or personas while in Faerûn and travelling often to other planes and continents.

I find the note in the last line about other Continents interesting. Ive been wondering for a bit now - if there IS access to Spelljamming (not to mention more conventional, but magical) means of travel - what has been found on the other continents? I find this interesting also because we now see the 'Realms' as having several distinct areas of deific worship, and having intelligent life/civilizations on other continents would likely add to that number - increasing (in a possibly large way) the number of deities associalted with Toril itself - not to mention (using the Spelljammer tactic) the other worlds in Realmsspace. I also fully understand that Spelljamming may not 'exist' in Ed's home game - and as I recall - Maztica was not of his own hands - at least not what we ended up seeing in printed form, so some of my curiousity stems from TSR/WOTC addendums to the original creation.

I guess - in a simple question for Ed, to keep the thread on-topic, have you and/or your players ever really concerned yourselves with the 'contents' of the other continental landmasses? And - since any amount of 'real' information would quickly escalate to way more than would be feasible or necessary - do you ever envision there being additional development that we might see of these places?

Many thanks for sharing your creation!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  10:48:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Merry Yule, Happy Solstice Afterdance, Merry Christmas, and Grand Hannukah and Kwanzaa and High Reindeer Feast to all!
love to all,
THO

[swedish]En God Jul[/swedish] to the two of ye as well, Oh Hooded One.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  15:29:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Dhomal. A quick "helper" reply until Ed can do a proper one. Victor Selby, the player who portrayed Jelde Asturien and later Torm of the Knights, among many other characters, started to detail one of the continents. Maztica was not in Ed's original Realms, but flying ships (elven defenses of Evermeet, plus a 'flying Dutchman' style ever-sailing-the-air-haunted-vessel) were, so when Jeff Grubb started to create the SPELLJAMMER line, it was only natural that Ed be brought in to do the first supplement (Lost Ships) and "Realmsify" the concept.
So, yes, we've talked and imagined what things were like on other continents, visited one (via gate [3e "portal']) once, very briefly, and (ahem) NDA on future development [that particular NDA has been there since 1986, folks, so please don't read too much into it and start rumors of a new line, or anything, okay?).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Dec 2005 15:30:24
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  04:50:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time Ed replies to Goldforge’s September query: “concerning Druids and why every Druid other than Mielikki Druids can't wear metal armour. My argument was that Druids of Talos, because they venerate storms and natural disasters, should not be subject to this rule. Talos himself hates nature (the plant and animal kind of Nature, I’m guessing) so why would he sanction his Druids from using Metal if it is considered an affront to Nature? Why would Talos not allow his Druids to use a material that other, more goodly and nice, Deities of Nature label as an affront? We debated for a while, and we couldn’t even come up with half a reason why Druids of Mielikki are allowed to use Metal. It’s especially odd that Talassan Druids can’t when they have more of a reason to wear Metal then their Mielikki Druid counterparts. Were certain Nature Dieties such as Auril and Talos left forgotten when it came to listing diety specific class rule exceptions? Could someone tell me, with facts or an authoritative voice, why Talassan Druids can’t wear Metal armour?”
Ed speaks:

Ahem. (Assumes authoritative voice.)
Because they’d fry thanks to lightning in storms, that’s why. :}
Just as those of Auril would sear their skins off, in intense cold, and die of hypothermia. Metal interferes with most “natural cycles” of body heat, moisture transfer, and so on, and therefore the presence of too much of it is like poison to druids. Feels wrong (“itchy” to nauseous), shatters their attunement with nature, grounds any lightning spells they try to cast (with, yes, disastrous results for the caster), and so on.
Mielikki, however, is especially attuned to minerals (including minerals in solution, such as iron in blood and nutrients in plant saps), and so (through prayer, training, and by following her teachings) her druids are, too.
I grant you this exceptional status seems very weird, when applying dispassionate real-world logic to the situation. However, please step back and consider just what you’re doing: trying to objectively apply real-world logic to a fictitious fantasy-setting magic-related situation. Sometimes the best answer is: “Because that’s just the way things are - - that’s why.” This is one of those moments.
Personally, I’m puzzled as to why you so strongly want a druid of Talos to have metal armour. For cool fashion reasons? Game min-maxing? (In other words, to a roleplayer, it really shouldn’t matter. Like all faith-related things that those who follow other beliefs may find strange [specific rituals, taboos, dietary requirements, etc.]: if the deity or a more senior druid says thus-and-so, then you do thus-and-so.)
However, if it really upsets you, allow Talassan druids to wear metal armour in your Realms campaign. It doesn’t stretch game balance that much; it’s more a matter of making nature deities distinctive from each other.

So saith Ed. In the ‘home’ Realms campaign, Florin follows Mielikki, and fathered a child on her orders (unlike most of her faithful, he had several face-to-face meetings with the Lady of the Forest, during one of which she kissed him!). If she told him, or gave him a dream-vision showing him [the way she directly communicates with most of her druids], to go into battle stark naked, or wearing fishnets stockings over his head, or blindfolded, he’d do just that.
Hmm. Hope Ed doesn’t read this, or Florin might be in for some interesting play sessions.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  05:31:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

plus a 'flying Dutchman' style ever-sailing-the-air-haunted-vessel

I'd like to know more about this one, if I may, dear Lady.

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  15:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message
HI there Ed Merry Christmas,

Quick question for ya. I don't know if it's been asked before, and it's not Realms related but... Whatever happened to Castlemorn?

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 26 Dec 2005 15:44:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  16:02:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery_Man

HI there Ed Merry Christmas,

Quick question for ya. I don't know if it's been asked before, and it's not Realms related but... Whatever happened to Castlemorn?

From Ed (via THO) back on the 22nd of December '05 -

"Hi again, all. In answer to some private queries from concerned scribes: no, I wasn’t joking about bullets. And no, I can’t say any more (a gal’s gotta keep SOME secrets, and I’m afraid I signed a paper some years back that said I would). Herewith, a reply from Ed to The Sage, regarding the current status of Castlemorn:

Hi, Sage! I, too, am eager to see this puppy published. If I can claw the necessary time away from family and chores before the end of the year, I want to go over its text to restore a consistent “voice” (I wrote it as a non-D&D-specific setting, and Fast Forward turned it into a d20 setting for commercial reasons; this is fine with me, but in the process a lot of text was generated by other pens than mine, and I just want to polish some of the prose. Studio 2 is indeed the new home of the book, and the art is GORGEOUS. Scribes who don’t give two hoots about one more fantasy setting might want to snap up the book just for the eye candy!
P.S. Glad you liked the Crimmor DRAGON article. There are more in the works, plus (thanks to the great Erik Mona) a surprise coming up, too. Can’t say more yet. :}

So saith Ed. So that’s the “fix” Krash referred to.
BTW: to David Lázaro: Ed thanks you for the congrats (he had to sweat blood to even try to squeeze in half of the events, characters, and “fun scenes” he wanted to put in this book, and promises one thing to every reader: it will be PACKED), and your request to drop the equine lore request is duly noted.
love,
THO"

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  17:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message
Good enough thanks. :) A preview to some of that art would be cool if they ever get close to publishing time.

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 26 Dec 2005 17:05:39
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  17:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Merry Christmas to You, Milady, and to Father Weirdbeard o' the Greenwood!

I am glad that you're back with us, and hopefully you'll recover completely from your wounds. Maybe you should consider a life in Candlekeep, and quit your work as a Harper agent?

I have a couple of questions to Ed (who will probably grow weary of my "too-much-attention-to-small-details"-attitude ;). Here we go: You have kindly responded to my questions about the Sembian walled compounds, but do they have any kind of wooden gates, or just an "opening" in the hedgerow walls for entrance? How about the moats/ditches - do they usually build bridges over them?

Then about farms and fields... how many acres of land does a typical/average Heartlands family farm? I am an urban person, so it is hard for me to grasp the concepts of medieval farming
You also wrote about "checkered-field" farms... did you mean fields separated by empty spaces/woodlots between them (and connected to each other via corners - sort of like a chessboard with "dark spaces" in between the fields) or smaller fields side by side in a roughly square-shaped area (sort of boxes within a box)? What an odd question, I know, and poorly phrased, but hopefully you understand what I am asking here ;)
Many of the Realms communities (Shadowdale, for example) also seem to have "irregularly" shaped fields... which type of farm field is more common in the Realms - the "checkered-chessboard"-type or "the irregular"-type?

Best of wishes for you and the Hooded One! And thank you for the answers in advance :)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000