Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  16:23:56  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, and an unrelated matter: in the Spin A Yarn tale currently being posted on the WotC website, there are a number of tiny editing glitches that make me once again fervently wish that certain WotC staffers would refrain from just turning on their spellcheck features and turning off their editorial brains. Most of these are just passing annoyances, but I DO want all readers to know that Tymora’s sneeze didn’t cause Waterdhavian matrons to run screaming from their “robbing” chambers, but rather from their “robbing” chambers.

...Must...resist...urge...to..make joke...

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  17:24:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and an unrelated matter: in the Spin A Yarn tale currently being posted on the WotC website, there are a number of tiny editing glitches that make me once again fervently wish that certain WotC staffers would refrain from just turning on their spellcheck features and turning off their editorial brains. Most of these are just passing annoyances, but I DO want all readers to know that Tymora’s sneeze didn’t cause Waterdhavian matrons to run screaming from their “robbing” chambers, but rather from their “robbing” chambers.

Admittedly, I've not yet read that tale (I'm waiting to read all of it at once). But the words "robbing" and "robbing" look rather identical to me... I'm thinking it should be "robing", most likely...

I've a similar complaint about some WotC stuff, though. It's not that they don't spellcheck intelligently; I've seen places where they didn't seem to run spellcheck at all. The infamous month of "Ukta" is one great example.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  18:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Caveat lector: racy discussion of procreation follows.

quote:
Originally posted by Bendal

Gee, state an opinion and get a host of responses.

You are all entitled to your's, just as I am mine.

BTW, if elves and dwarves were that different from humans, they would not be able to crossbreed with them. Obviously they are similar enough for that purpose, so they cannot be that much more different sexually.

As for 'sexual relations' encompassing non-intercourse by chimps, well yes that is so but irrelevent. Ed was clearly talking about intercourse when he said they 'experimented' sexually, because he also mentions they cannot cause or become pregnant. Perhaps I should have been more clear and said "intercourse" when I said if a male is sexually active he can impregnate someone.

The idea that a dwarf/elf lives nearly a century before becoming fertile, but can be sexually active in all ways, including intercourse (otherwise why the 'but they cannot impregnate or get pregnant' comment) just does not make sense, especially given Ed's comment that they have physically matured just 10 years later than a human would.

I hope I do not offend anyone here, but I think, Bendal, that you are basing your suggestions on the theory that semen always contains viable spermatozoa. Not so. Many factors can make a male sterile (not the least being old age) but not impotent. If old age can make spermatozoa non-viable, what is so unreasonable about assuming that extreme youth might equate to an immaturity of the spermatozoa or an incapacity of the testes to produce them while still producing seminal fluid? It seems that is the case in the extended adolescences of some species (I do dislike that "races" term!).

Similarly, "secondary" sexual characteristic development in the female of the species may not equate to an ability to produce viable eggs -- such characteristics may be the first signs of maturity, not the fruit of sexual maturity as they are with us. Most of the occurences of female breeding and milk production are mediated by hormones. The release of a certain hormone in real world mammals usually results in a cascade effect on the other hormones, but it is easy to posit a species in which the hormone which causes milk production (lutenizing hormone, if I recall correctly) is released long before those which cause egg maturation; such a species would have many young females who can produce milk but no eggs. (If their spouses are pigs they can be responsible for bringing home the bacon.) Such a species gains a tremendous evolutionary advantage: the death of a mother will not necessarily lead to the death of her children from starvation if there are numerous aunts who can act as wet-nurses. Moreover, in a socially developed species the young may be fostered to many more families if foster care is not dependent upon having a female in the household who has just given birth and so may act as wet-nurse. Fosterage, in turn, can lead to greater social cohesion, a wider dissemination of special knowledge, and an urge to sow one's genetic material outside of the immediate community, thus avoiding incestuous weakening of the gene pool (if the species is like Israeli kibbutzim, whose young are all reared communally and have a very strong tendency to marry outside the kibbutz). Such conditions may have prevailed among the elves before the Crown Wars drained said gene pool.

However, as Montaigne bids me to always ask: "What do I know?"

If I have posted here in error, Alaundo, please use the soft ruler to rap my knuckles. Arthur Itis says I should avoid those hard ones for a while.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 07 Jul 2005 18:20:31
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  03:26:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Jamallo, well said: Ed agrees.
And he does something else, too: he quickly answers Alisttair’s rainbows query:

Yes, rainbows in the Realms do differ from those of our real world, but only VERY slightly. Essentially you can think of them as the same (same spectra bands, same conditions for their appearance, et cetera). The presence of the Shards and the slightly different Torilian lunar situation make rainbows in the Realms shine much more brightly and persist in visibility longer than they do in our real world, with a longer “pink and purple” fadeout as they do dwindle.

So saith Ed. Short but sweet, and more Realmslore on the morrow!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  04:45:45  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by zeathiel

Greetings all,

I have a question for Ed. Can you impart any Realmslore on one Thorneira Thalance, apprentice to the Simbul? I am trying to craft an NPC that is an occasional apprentice of the Simbul and am looking for some juicy background details...
I was also curious about this, but didnt see a response as of yet (although I am not trying to sound pushy or impatient). In fact I am curious about the members of the Simbul's Hands in general, since the majority of their appearences in novels tend to be in scenes where the Simbul is either heading out to kill a Red Wizard, save Elminster, or returning from such an excursion. What do they do when they arent acting as seat warmers for Verdigris throne :P

Also are all of the Simbul's apprentices multiclassed Sorcerer/Wizards (or Sorcerer/Rogue in the case of the 3E version of the Masked One), or do some of them focus on a single arcane spellcasting class? The Spellcasters in her palace guard tend to be single classed Wizards, but I figured there was a difference between them and their role compared to that of the spellcasters she instructs herself.

Also, what kind of defenses would the Simbul have raised over her palace, either since coming to the throne of Aglarond or more recently (like after enduring the attack at the end of Elminster in Hell). Unapproachable East says that the palace has had generations worth of Aglarondan rulers "weaving multiple layers of magic protections and convienciences into the palace, and that the Simbul has done much to contribute to this legacy", but it doesnt give specifics. How would the wards of the Simbul's Palace compare to the warding protections of Eliminsters Tower (as described in the 2nd Edition Heroes Lorebook) or the Mythal wards of the High Palace of Silverymoon (as described in Silver Marches). Wondrous Architechture magic items described in the Stronghold Builders Guidebook or some creative use of the Permanency spell might serve to facilitate the former, while use of her Epic Spellcasting feat and perhaps access to the Mythal seed (say from ancient texts of Star Elf lords of Yuireshaanyar) and the participation of her apprentices and guards could serve to emulate the latter.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  07:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. Jamallo, well said: Ed agrees.
And he does something else, too: he quickly answers Alisttair’s rainbows query:

(snip)

So saith Ed. Short but sweet, and more Realmslore on the morrow!
love,
THO

Caffeine giveth me clarity and cogency.

Which raises another random thought: I think that coffee has been mentioned as existing on Toril. What is the principle mode of its consumption, eating raw beans, eating roasted beans, making an infusion of pulverized (or perhaps ground) raw beans, or the same with roasted beans? What of tea? Murky brew made from powdered leaves whisked in a bowl, or translucent liquor made from whole leaves?

Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  12:43:38  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Hi to Ed and THO...

I've been busy this summer with finishing my degree and getting myself a job to tide me over, so i've not been able to spend much time online. However I've now seen the Tunland Realmslore Ed has imparted and i'd like to (belatedly) thank him for again answering one of my questions. His patience with our nagging questions is most appreciated!

GH

Who's hoping to find the time and to be more involved online and with Realmslore again. And who's also annoyed because he's been forbidden by his lady to buy any more books until his birthday has passed, which means no Best of Eddie for another few weeks!

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  17:29:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

And who's also annoyed because he's been forbidden by his lady to buy any more books until his birthday has passed, which means no Best of Eddie for another few weeks!

That's what draws vacuum about gift-giving holidays.

Luckily (at least in this regard), my birthday is just 2 weeks after Christmas, so I don't have to deal with this issue all that much.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  21:40:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I wanted to bring this up earlier when it was originally posted but I didn't. However, some people now use this as gospel that Ed doesn't know what his contract says.

"Originally Posted by Richard Baker on the WOTC boards:
Is everything Ed says canon? No. Canon is the assemblage of information in the current edition of the rulebooks. Beyond that is a much larger sphere of "we thinks" and "when we get tos" in which Ed's never-ending font of creative energy is quite prominent. For example, if Ed writes a couple of thousand words on Rethmar in the course of a bunch of posts to a message board, it's as good as anything until something else gets into print. In a perfect world, we'd know all about Ed's previous speculation on the topic and make sure it was part and parcel of any other designer's work on that city. Sometimes, it doesn't work out that way. Ed doesn't monitor all RPGs, novels, and PC games being worked on, and we don't keep track of everything he says. Heck, I don't *want* to. I don't want Ed to have to be afraid to speak from the heart about anything he cares to talk about, and I don't want to have to approve what he says before it goes in the public eye. Seems like that would make us both miserable.

In any event, I'm not sure that the whole concept of canon is worth the fuss we seem to invest in it. If something isn't in print, I don't treat it as canon. Even then, I'm willing to "evolve" canon when the situation calls for it (for instance, an edition shift in the D&D game). I know that some fans don't like that, but that's the way the business works."

So we have a conflict here because Richard seems to believe that Ed's contract doesn't state that anything Ed says, unless changed with writen works, is canon or official.

Comments? Ed, THO?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Jul 2005 21:42:16
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  22:55:14  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message
quote:

Rocheval, there’s no way Ed COULD reveal the “next great evil” to be “visited upon the Realms,” even if he wanted to. There are such things as NDAs, and also ruining the anticipation (I hesitate to use the word “fun” here) of most Realms fans. It’s like watching a soap opera and knowing beforehand in detail what’s going to happen to everyone. (Yes, I know people go to see the same Shakespeare plays over and over, and ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, too, but they do so for different reasons.)
Ed’s name is: “Ed Greenwood” (check out the Walk of Fame and you’ll see that many of the stars thereon appear under their everyday [abbreviated] names or even their false [stage] names). Not that Ed seeks, wants, or thinks he deserves any such acclaim.
As for your Sudbury question, to answer it Ed needs to know this: when you say “equivalent,” do you mean a hard-rock mining town surrounded by generations of slag-heap devastation but becoming a rejuvenated city? Or do you mean the hard-drinking small-town flavour evoked by Stompin’ Tom in that classic song?

Sorry for my intrepidation Hooded One, I wasn't too clear or precise on some of my questions. I wasn't really asking exactly who or what the next great evil would be, but of the power magnitude of that evil hinted at in the Realmspace accessory was true. I fully understand if even a hint would not be appropriate. I'll probably ask the members on the other candlekeep boards for others to speculate just for fun. Thanks.
As for the Sudbury question, its the latter ie. more of a merry mining town atmosphere like the song. (Sudbury today still does quite a bit of mining, nowhere employing what it once did, but the days of barren landcapes are gone with decades of re-greening efforts.)
Oh yeah, I urge all my fellow Canucks to vote Ed into the Walk of Fame.

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)

Edited by - Rocheval on 08 Jul 2005 23:02:24
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  00:07:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Kuje, Ed wants you to know that although most of the “newer” TSR employees (and Rich was one of those) and of course all later WotC employees aren’t privy to the precise details of the Realms purchase agreement, and operate on the basis of whatever they’ve been told it is, everything has since been quietly and privately cleared up on this front. Er. Ed hopes.
However, Rich’s words, that you quoted in your post, are an accurate description of how things really do generally work, on a day-to-day basis. Which is fairly practical, and of course explains why inconsistencies sometimes creep in. Back around 1990 this sort thing made Ed tear his hair out. Now everyone’s more mellow, and tries to work together, and when Realmslore glitches occur, everyone tries to smooth it over.
Now, to Si and Bendal, Ed makes reply:

No, there’s no general salvage law in the Realms. (The word “salvage” exists, as “gleanings from wrecks,” but in general, if you find and pick up something, it’s yours. If you can hold it against someone trying to take it away from you, of course.)
In most Underdark, tomb, and dungeon areas, of course, “finders keepers” prevails.
As roleplaying, Abbathor’s reaction in the Yawning Portal is just fine (particularly if he wasn’t Waterdhavian born and bred). All of three arguments are particularly valid, his “B” point (rightful battle spoils) being particularly strong (as in: widely accepted custom across the Sword Coast North, would cause many drinkers there to nod their heads regardless of how they felt about nobles or adventurers).
However, Bendal raises a relevant issue: the strong clan (family) ties of the dwarves, analogous to the Waterdhavian noble family claim. His description of what happened feels “right” (Realmswise) to me.
Legalities aside, in both cases (nobles and dwarves) a group of individuals believe (and feel strongly) that they have a “right” to a “family” item. Disputing with them might not be wise.
In Waterdeep, the nobles DO enjoy a special status, and have legal weight on their side (though in the heart of Dock Ward, exercising that status is a bit dicey for them: they could easily get jumped by a Portal-full of angered drinkers who might well demand they go down into Undermountain and fight some monster or other to bring back to Abbathor a treasure of like or greater value, if they want the sword they didn’t lift a finger to find, so much).
Lorelord George Krashos, as usual, has suggested the Realmslore-perfect response (the intermediaries, hiring of forceful agents, the Red Sashes’ “enforced sale”). I’d go with that. (George’s lost wallet modern real-world legal example, however, holds true in Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Cormyr, the Dales, and not many other places in the Realms: unless the owner of the wallet is a friend or relative of the local ruler, or an important local official, influential merchant, or religious leader.) I echo George’s sage opinion: “You can have lots of fun here.”

As the madam said to the blind man entering her brothel. (Ahem.)
So saith Ed, I should have said. Oh, I’m SO bad! Spank me, someone!
(No need to knock over chairs in the rush, there, Wooly.)
More Realmslore filled in; onward!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  00:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. Kuje, Ed wants you to know that although most of the “newer” TSR employees (and Rich was one of those) and of course all later WotC employees aren’t privy to the precise details of the Realms purchase agreement, and operate on the basis of whatever they’ve been told it is, everything has since been quietly and privately cleared up on this front. Er. Ed hopes.
However, Rich’s words, that you quoted in your post, are an accurate description of how things really do generally work, on a day-to-day basis. Which is fairly practical, and of course explains why inconsistencies sometimes creep in. Back around 1990 this sort thing made Ed tear his hair out. Now everyone’s more mellow, and tries to work together, and when Realmslore glitches occur, everyone tries to smooth it over.
Now, to Si and Bendal, Ed makes reply:

No, there’s no general salvage law in the Realms. (The word “salvage” exists, as “gleanings from wrecks,” but in general, if you find and pick up something, it’s yours. If you can hold it against someone trying to take it away from you, of course.)
In most Underdark, tomb, and dungeon areas, of course, “finders keepers” prevails.

(snip)

As the madam said to the blind man entering her brothel. (Ahem.)
love to all,
THO

That brings to mind a question that I have had for a while. What is Thoth of Mulhorrand's view on tomb spoliation if the result is knowledge spread abroad after having been locked away for centuries? In general, what attitude would the gods of Mulhorrand likely have if an intrepid explorer broke into a tomb and just copied inscriptions instead of stealing tangible items? (I think that Dr. van Richten's opinion is that the "ancient dead" will only rise and stalk those who actually leave with objects which were buried in their tomb.) I could understand a devotée of Shar taking the tack that what's buried with him is his, including any lore written on the walls or in scrolls or books in the tomb, but I don't think others would be so fussy, particularly if a suitable offering was made to them as an apology for the trespass. (Restoring tomb wards upon departure would be a sensible -- and courteous -- precaution, of course. Installing newer, stronger ones might even be appreciated by the ancient dead and their gods. Mais, "que sçay-je?")

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  00:23:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
My thanks Ed and THO. :)

Faraer and I are a part of a debate on another board (no not WOTC's) and some of the posters there took Rich's words to mean that Ed doesn't understand his own contract and that Rich knows more about Ed's contract then Ed does. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  00:57:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

I may have knocked over a couple of other scribes, but no chairs were harmed before, during, or after the spanking of the lovely Lady Hooded One.

Of course, mentions of spanking always bring to mind that one line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I'll spare Big Al's sensibilities, but you all know the scene in Castle Anthrax. "And then, after the spankings..."

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  04:39:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Understood, Kuje.
Please pass on to those posters you and Faraer have been jousting with, this from me:

It’s my firm belief that Ed understands his contract quite well. It’s a short, simple document, as legal contracts go (and Ed has had legal training, and in his time has signed literally hundreds of publishing-related contracts; there aren’t all that many writers alive and active today who have been involved in more publications than Ed has), and I have also read it and its amendments, and understood them quite well. They just aren’t that complicated, folks. (Moreover, I know Ed has seen the exact same pages I have, because he passed them on to me.)
He passed them on not just to me, but to all of his original players, at the request of TSR, because all of us were required to “sign off” on having read and understood them. All of us were telephoned by TSR legal representatives (who told us they were taping the calls) to make sure we fully understood what we were signing.
We also each had to sign legal release forms for our Knights characters, formally recognizing that TSR now owned the characters we played (which Ed had created, named, and crafted back histories for, anyway), and could be published without any obligation to us. (Interestingly, those forms made mention of “payment of one (1) U.S. dollar” per character, to give the release legal force, and TSR never paid us those dollars. Ed did, but I don’t think they ever paid him.) Another bit of trivia: if action or “bendable/poseable” figurines, or tabletop or collectible miniatures, of the Knights of Myth Drannor characters are ever released, John Hunter (who played Florin) is entitled to one free Florin figure, "delivered free into his hands."

No offense to Rich Baker, whom I’m sure is a nice person and a smart man, but he wasn’t yet a TSR employee when all of this occurred, and so couldn’t have been privy to any of it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  05:19:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Interesting

Im pretty sure Ra Patha did a Florin mini

I wonder if D&D minis will do any of the Knights of Myth Drannor...

Would be kind of cool for the Realms 20th birthday next year

*Goes to find Mike and Rob to make a suggestion*

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  18:57:14  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message
Hey guys

Just wanted to thank BaneBlade, Beowulf, THO, and Ed for their responses on the Conan/Durnan question.

Indeed when first I read the "thinking man's" comment I wondered which version of Conan Ed was thinking about. Conan (as envisioned by Howard) was definetly no fool. I do see though how he was impulsive (in fact, Howard makes a point of this in some of his stories) whereas Durnan thought ahead (consider that he called on Mirt before leaving).

Of course, thiking back on what I know about Ed's life and his love for books, I am not surprised that he had indeed read all of the books (and was actually part of the Hyborian Legion? Very interesting!).

Again, thanks for the answers and clarifications

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  20:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met, Most Respected Lady Hooded One!

You truly possess some talent in divining, for indeed I have loved 'The Elminster's daughter' very much

I appreciate the way that Ed 'sneaks in' small details about how things are and work in the Realms, such as the descriptions of a cookery shop and a laundry. Or how nobles spin their webs of intrigue, and what their mansions and halls look like (both inside and outside). So much juicy stuff about art, architecture, folk lore, etcetera. I could go on forever about this. So my thanks to Ed once again, and I will surely buy his 'Best of'-collection as soon as it arrives at my local bookstore

Here would be some questions to Ed:

1) What kind of mills are most common in the Realms in those areas that have no rivers or large streams nearby? Windmills, perhaps? There are so many upcountry/rural villages, hamlets and thorps who might not have a waterwheel mill. Also, is there a mill in every settlement, or do people travel to the nearest one when need be?

2) Who is "the local authority" in all those small settlements in Cormyr? Most of them do not have a local lord given in any accessory, so are there any 'mayors' or 'village elders' who hold power in the Crown's name? Or, in case there are no significant central figures, maybe the purple dragon patrols deal with any major issues?

P.S. Lady, I meant that you would be our 'Lhaea' (or would it be 'Lhaera'), meaning a 'female Lhaeo'

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  21:11:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
Here would be some questions to Ed:

1) What kind of mills are most common in the Realms in those areas that have no rivers or large streams nearby? Windmills, perhaps? There are so many upcountry/rural villages, hamlets and thorps who might not have a waterwheel mill. Also, is there a mill in every settlement, or do people travel to the nearest one when need be?

The Shadowdale book in the 2e campaign box set has a small section on mills. :)

Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  23:40:09  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
quote:
The presence of the Shards and the slightly different Torilian lunar situation

I didn't knew anything about these two differences before. Does anybody know where could I find something more about the shards and Selune physics? It's rather difficult googling those and I suppose that the information would be available in old sourcebooks that I don't remember anymore.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  23:59:38  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Regarding the canon discussion, I'd like to say that most things in life have value that is relative to the priority that you personally give them. In my campaign, everything my players or I create is sacrosanct, and after that comes anything from Ed's quill. Canon, understood as everything from current sourcebooks, has only a third place.

In other matters, I've just read The Long Way Home this afternoon, and is one of the saddest and most emotionally intense stories I've seen. I've cried a lot reading that. Now I understand the prologue a bit more, it must be difficult writing something like that but this one must be the most humane Realms story ever.

That the Realms can produce those feelings in me is something that awes me all the time. Thanks Ed, thanks a lot; the Realms are truly a present for the world. If you ever want something from Spain, just drop a line and I'll send it flying as soon as possible to Canada.

And Ed, you seem to be a very wise and interesting person. Can we hope to see a biography of yours one day? A writing where you explain your vision of life and the world at large? I'm sure it should be difficult to write something that personal, but I'm feeling that you have a lot to teach to the world.

Edited by - David Lázaro on 10 Jul 2005 00:11:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  00:28:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. David, that story hit me just as hard. I'll pass your message along to Ed. I'm not sure about him writing an autobiography; he tends to tell the world he's just a normal guy who watches and pays attention to all the interesting things the world throws at him. But we'll see. And I know he's at work on your Shieldmeet needs.
However, the reply he sent me just now is to Si, in the matter of Silver Morn’s bloodlines, specifically the query: “since she must have been in some horribly stressful situations by now, I would have expected it to have manifested in self defence?”
Ed speaks:

Some beings in the Realms do get the benefits of ‘handy manifestation of hitherto-latent personal superpowers,’ but a lot more don’t (or Realms novels would have settled into a predictable formula long, long ago). Silver Morn’s affinity for the Weave will soon, as I said, begin to give her “both dream and ‘waking’ visions, in areas of strong lingering (or not-yet-triggered) magic: brief animated scenes [sans sound] of beings and events befalling on that particular spot, that are or were magic-related.” However, it may never manifest any farther, for her. Or it may spur into becoming a full-fledged sorceress, either soon or sometime before she dies.
Childbirth would be a logical trigger, being as it combines changes in a mother’s internal body chemistry as well as stress, but stress alone may not (for a particular being) trigger a manifestation. Or it may; we’ll just have to see. :}

So saith Ed. I can just HEAR that smile of his, at the end, there.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  01:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by David Lázaro

quote:
The presence of the Shards and the slightly different Torilian lunar situation

I didn't knew anything about these two differences before. Does anybody know where could I find something more about the shards and Selune physics? It's rather difficult googling those and I suppose that the information would be available in old sourcebooks that I don't remember anymore.

Thanks.

The Spelljammer supplement Realmspace discusses Selűne at length. I bought it on eBay for less than US $15.

Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  09:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
So many answers in such a short time-many thanks for all the answers Ed and M'lady.
The nascent Cormyte intelligence service sounds similar to the one portrayed in George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman novels. Half competent professionals, half minor sprigs of nobility running arounnd with bedsheet disguises and false moustaches.IIRC one of Vangey's spies made a brief appearance in Cormyr: a novel, wonder what she's up to now...
Oh and while the subject is still up and running, I was rereading 'Thornhold' recently and was irritated to realise that someone at WoTC doesn't know the difference between 'discreet' and 'discrete'. Since the book has a fair amount of skullduggery in it, it was used wrongly again and again.
Sorry, pet peeve touched upon there <ahem>

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now

Edited by - Si on 10 Jul 2005 10:21:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  01:39:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Why Si, what a GREAT description of Cormyr’s intelligence operatives! I passed it on to Ed, who e-chortled.
Now, Ed makes reply to David Lázaro in the matter of festivities of Silverymoon. Heads up, all who love Silverymoon and are on the lookout for essential Silvaeren lore, because what follows definitely falls into that category! Ed begins by apologizing for the brevity of his replies, but we know what THAT means, don’t we?
Yes, I’ve had to split his reply into two, for fear of bumping into the post size limit. So here’s Part 1.
Ed speaks:

Hi, David. I’m afraid you’ve asked a question that is both way too big to answer properly AND runs into NDA troubles for me, but I’m going to sneak in a reply here that deals just with Midsummer, Shieldmeet, and the days leading up and immediately following them. I’m afraid (for NDA reasons) these entries are going to have to be very brief and “sketchy,” rather than properly detailed. In addition to these, many faiths hold various celebrations and rites (but only Moondown, listed hereafter, is observed city-wide). In the entries, “shops closed” never includes inns, taverns, festhalls, clubs, or dining-houses.

During the tenday preceding Midsummer, one festival is celebrated each day. Here are those ten, followed by Midsummer and Shieldmeet:

OLDCASKS: a day during which private individuals and businesses all across the city find and dust off, or make, and sell (from their doors and tables set up by their front doors, or in their front gardens) various vintages from their cellars, in preparation for the festivities to come. Wineries and “flagon shops” often offer special sales or import hard-to-find or novelty vintages (“Dwarfbeard Ale! Contains the ashes of genuine dwarf beards!” or “Elfmaidblood Ruby, a fine red guaranteed to contain drops of blood from gold elf maidens of the eldest, proudest lineages!”), and all of the city temples cast neutralize poison spells for free, on all liquids brought to them, from dawn to dusk (stockpiling scrolls and “calling in” faithful clergy from outside the city for this purpose; such visitors usually remain for some days, as a reward).

CLOAKSWIRL: a day-long crafters’ festival during which various costumes, garments, and fashion accessories are sold (for use in the festivities ahead). No masks, cosmetics, or headgear are sold on this day (it’s not unlawful, just considered VERY unlucky; in most shops, such things are hidden away for the day). Street vending by anyone is freely allowed on this day, and most shops move tables out onto the street. These must all be cleared away by highsun of the next day (Moondown). By tradition, inns and taverns put on, or hire actors to present, brief plays or dramatic readings after dusk.

MOONDOWN: a normal working day, until highsun. Thereafter, everyone in the city by tradition bathes (in the river, if they’ve nowhere else to go), and (again by tradition) puts on new garments they’ve never worn before (poor folk trade clothes for the night). A solemn ceremony of worship to Sęlune is held, starting at dusk. A Moondance (slow, quiet, sweeping movements of many dancers of both genders clad in palely-glowing “moonrime” [white to very light green] garments, led by priests) winds its way along city streets until dawn. Moonwine (squirted the nozzles of from shoulder-carried skins) and platters of small round cakes are offered freely by the dancers to everyone they pass, wishes are whispered to the moon, and loved ones who perished during the preceding year are softly named. Temples of Shar are closed during this day, and her worshippers by tradition pray only in private, not wearing any ceremonial garb, vestments, or symbols of that goddess.

MASKS: a crafters’ festival during which elaborate (and often very expensive or spectacular) masks, cosmetics, and headgear are sold, for the revelry that begins at nightfall of this day, and continues on, invarious observances, night and day through Midsummer Night. On this day Alustriel typically pays every musician (NOT singer) who desires to play in the streets a “flourish” of 25 gp, and many minstrels wander, making music alone or in groups (instrumentals rather than songs).

ELSKELTER: a normal working day, until highsun, when all the city and temple bells are rung, and the Skull Run begins.
The Skull Run is a giant game of hide and seek, wherein a swift, agile, person wearing a skullhead-mask tries to get from any gate of the city to the Moonbridge without being prevented from doing so by a mob of persons who MUST, in order to participate, down a potent drink to the dregs (making them literally tipsy - - that is, staggering on their feet). The Run is administered by the Spellgard, who prepare the drinks and give drinkers one-eyed hoods to wear (no one not wearing one over their head is allowed to take any part in the fun).
Typically one Skull Runner will start from every gate of the city. They cannot use any translocation magic (such as Teleport or Dimension Door), but can use Spider Climb, Feather Fall, and Freedom of Movement. They can (and usually do) strip naked and grease themselves, they must wear their skull mask at all times (so tearing it off is one way to delay them; their chasers are forbidden to hide, throw, or carry the mask, but may snatch it off as many times as they feel like, and can manage), and the Spellgard typically teleports a Skull Runner away from harm if they’re injured, get into a fight, or are attacked in earnest by anyone. It’s understood that they’ll be healed or even brought back to life if they come to harm during the Run.
Every year, Alustriel announces prizes for “catching the Skull,” and prizes for any Skull Runners if they successfully reach the Moonbridge. These are typically monetary, but may involve a Runner choosing any single spell be cast upon themselves (that Alustriel can manage), or another service or boon.
The Skull Run began in the days when Silverymoon was first founded, but was banned; Alustriel revived it about three decades ago.
From dusk onwards, this night is traditionally when old friends gather to catch up on events of the past year, begin to negotiate deals or plan the year ahead, and “absent friends” are remembered (and toasted).

CLAWS: On this day, elaborate costumes worn by citizens (or several citizens at once) to resemble various monsters (dragons and owlbears are perennial favourites) are donned, and the “marauding monsters” parade through the streets, heading for particular taverns. Older citizens watch the monsters process along, but younger ones “fall in behind them” and repair to the taverns, where the costume-wearers “unhood” to receive free drinks and meals.
While dining, they are entertained by bards, minstrels, and old retired adventurers telling wild and dramatic tales of monster-slayings, battles against beasts that “got away,” and horrific ghost stories of revenant monsters, creatures of the Underdark lurking under all our feet right now, and so on.
These tales go on into the wee hours, with the taverns serving free drinks to all (traditionally these are very watered-down, so it’s hard to get drunk before one feels bloated, but taverns vie with each other in doctoring the beverages to achieve unusual but very enjoyable tastes). [So everyone gets free drinkables unless they want full-strength ales and spirits, but only those who wore the monster costumes get free food.] Children traditionally attend the tale-tellings, and usually fall asleep before morning (only to awake shrieking from nightmares).

So saith Ed. I’ve chopped his reply here, and accordingly will present Part Two on the morrow. Ed himself remains frantically busy with hush-hush Realms-related work, and can probably best be described as “happily exhausted.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  01:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. Why Si, what a GREAT description of Cormyr’s intelligence operatives! I passed it on to Ed, who e-chortled.
Now, Ed makes reply to David Lázaro in the matter of festivities of Silverymoon. Heads up, all who love Silverymoon and are on the lookout for essential Silvaeren lore, because what follows definitely falls into that category! Ed begins by apologizing for the brevity of his replies, but we know what THAT means, don’t we?
Yes, I’ve had to split his reply into two, for fear of bumping into the post size limit. So here’s Part 1.
Ed speaks:

Hi, David. I’m afraid you’ve asked a question that is both way too big to answer properly AND runs into NDA troubles for me, but I’m going to sneak in a reply here that deals just with Midsummer, Shieldmeet, and the days leading up and immediately following them. I’m afraid (for NDA reasons) these entries are going to have to be very brief and “sketchy,” rather than properly detailed. In addition to these, many faiths hold various celebrations and rites (but only Moondown, listed hereafter, is observed city-wide). In the entries, “shops closed” never includes inns, taverns, festhalls, clubs, or dining-houses.

During the tenday preceding Midsummer, one festival is celebrated each day. Here are those ten, followed by Midsummer and Shieldmeet:

(snipping of much stuff)

So saith Ed. I’ve chopped his reply here, and accordingly will present Part Two on the morrow. Ed himself remains frantically busy with hush-hush Realms-related work, and can probably best be described as “happily exhausted.”
love to all,
THO

That ... was ... wonderful!!!!!!! My mask's off to you, Ed!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  01:55:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
“Mask’s off?”
Well, now . . .
(throaty purr): That’s MY job, Jamallo.
Ed just likes to watch.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  07:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed will you ever write an autobiography? And also... are you going to watch Narnia this December? :)

Take care.

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  10:38:58  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Wow! Incredible answer on Silverymoon festivities. Prismatically colourful. We're surely going to have lots of fun with those events. It also seems that the major Silvaeren festivities take place precisely before Shieldmeet, which makes sense for a city that's so far to the north.

I also hope that those NDA warnings that pop-up almost always that something about Silverymoon is asked means that there's more info coming. Who knows? Maybe an article in Dragon or another novel that's being written for the new cities series.

And as always, thanks for your hard work.
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2005 :  19:05:11  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
quote:
Temples of Shar are closed during this day, and her worshippers by tradition pray only in private, not wearing any ceremonial garb, vestments, or symbols of that goddess.

I didn't notice this part on my first reading. Does it mean that there are open and public temples of Shar within Silverymoon gates? I'm a bit surprised.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000