Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  13:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
I´m already wonder about news in cosmology of the Realms...

In the Products page in the WoTC website, some time ago, the Champions of Ruin was stated that will have "evil planar touchstones", or something like this. But the book come, and nothing of that info appear. So, I´m wondering...

Will that Wizards that Dwell on the Coast give us a great scroll about Realms Cosmology next year (and put 99% of the scribes of Candlekkep in Nirvana - really talking)???

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Thaingrim
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  15:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Thaingrim's Homepage Send Thaingrim a Private Message
MR greenwood,

i already asked this on the WotC forum but got but litle usefull lore

i want to play a drow in a upcoming underdark campain ( 'round the northdark) and i kinda like the prestige classes featured in "underdark", especialy arachnomancer and drow judicator... but i can't seem to find any other info about them. i'd like to know how they are regarded in drow society ( espiacialy menzo ,since that's where the chaaracter comes from)and basicaly any info is welcome (since i have so few)

i know you didn't take part in the underdark book but i can't seem to find any tread with one of the authors so i figured i'd go ask the boss ^^

thx in advance...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29892 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  17:10:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thaingrim

MR greenwood,

i want to play a drow in a upcoming underdark campain ( 'round the northdark) and i kinda like the prestige classes featured in "underdark", especialy arachnomancer and drow judicator... but i can't seem to find any other info about them. i'd like to know how they are regarded in drow society ( espiacialy menzo ,since that's where the chaaracter comes from)and basicaly any info is welcome (since i have so few)

i know you didn't take part in the underdark book but i can't seem to find any tread with one of the authors so i figured i'd go ask the boss ^^

thx in advance...

Not that it helps you any for this, but there are a couple of older 2E sources of info on drow and the Underdark. Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, the Menzoberranzan boxed set, and Ed's own tome The Drow of the Underdark.

The last source finally helped me figure out how to make an NPC based on a particular GI Joe figure...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  17:56:22  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thaingrim

MR greenwood,

thx in advance...

Also, and I don't speak for Ed when I say this, Ed doesn't play 3/3.5e so he might not know what those prestige classes are nor what they do by the rules. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  18:21:46  Show Profile  Visit Sarelle's Homepage  Click to see Sarelle's MSN Messenger address Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed replies to Sarelle:

Thank you very much for the info. I'm now starting to wish that the yuan-ti and the sarrukh would ruin their style and jump out and reveal themselves to the world, just to see how things turned out. It'd make the Shades seem laughable!

I also second the mixed anticipation/impatience of those who commented on your teased upcoming Realms deity and cosmology events. Sounds dramatic!

One other quick question has sprung up. I was just working on the Wikipedia (an online free huge encyclopedia) and came back to your entry, and it was being asked whether you were a librarian or a library clerk (being slightly more ignorant I didn't know there was a difference, myself). You recently referred to yourself as a librarian, so is that correct? (Your article can be viewed here btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Greenwood) :)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  20:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
This is my first chance to visit this thread this year. I was searching for any info on Tantras that I might have missed. I was both glad and disappointed not to have missed any.

A belated happy new year to all.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  21:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
I just thought of a topic that I would love to know more about if Ed feels so inclined. Sir, can you tell me more about the "Lost Ways" that are located in the hills above Mulmaster?

Much thanks...
Go to Top of Page

Thaingrim
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  23:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Thaingrim's Homepage Send Thaingrim a Private Message
in that case is there anyone else that could give me the info i need ?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:22:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed’s promised reply to Si:

Si, I’ll write a proper answer to your tallhouse request as soon as I can, but let me speak to this query of yours: “How closely related do you have to be to the rulers of a Waterdeep Noble family to receive the full Noble privileges (stipend, status etc)? Obviously this will vary from family to family, but there must be quite a few of the Noble families who have hordes of 'country cousins' who have to make their own way in the world.”

Correct, many Waterdhavian nobles do have ‘country cousins’ who share the name but not the wealth. Most of them are indeed in the country (that is, outside Waterdeep, most often employed by the family as trade agents or to maintain stopover family houses in various cities or towns in Amn or elsewhere in the Heartlands). As for noble privileges: the only special treatment Waterdhavian nobles enjoy is legal status, which extends to everyone a particular family doesn’t disown (who identifies themself as a Waterdhavian noble). These legal rights are most clearly detailed in the CITY OF SPLENDORS boxed set (yes, that coverage is incomplete), and the best ‘feel’ for the noble families will probably be gleaned from reading the novel Elaine and I wrote, CITY OF SPLENDORS, when it comes out. As for a stipend: the government of Waterdeep gives nobles nothing.
Most noble families of Waterdeep are very wealthy as a result of their land holdings (crops and rents) and trade activities (major fields of activity are identified in their CoS boxed set entries), and most core members of a noble family have their bills paid for them by their stewards (employees), drafts upon the family funds usually being approved by the family matriarch or patriarch (who may be enraged by the activities of a gambler or wild one in the family, but won’t dare fail to pay their bills, because once word gets around, it will imperil the family’s reputation, credit, and other mercantile activities). Some of the less wealthy nobles encourage their children to make investments or start their own businesses ‘on the side’ to earn their own spending money.
Wastrels may be publicly disowned, quietly killed in ‘accidents’ or shipped off in virtual slavery (drugged or coerced) to far corners of the world to make their own fortunes, or serve as hireswords (in hopes that battle will soon kill them), or even sent on family business far from Waterdeep and there poisoned by hired agents.
In short, the heads of noble houses decide who gets lavish spending money, or lives in the family mansions. They dare not mistreat spouses or heirs in any way that the city can detect, or their own status (and that of the family) will be permanently harmed. However, inside their mansion walls, anything goes, from floggings or torture to incest and mind-altering or -controlling spells. Which is NOT to say that most nobles mistreat their relatives, only that they have the power and ability to do so. I recommend my story “The Eye of the Dragon,” published in REALMS OF MAGIC and my forthcoming ‘Best of Eddie’ collection, for a taste of what internal relationships within noble families can be like.

So saith Ed, THE Master of Realmslore. And bestower of great backrubs.

Oh, and Sarelle: Ed’s a library clerk (his degree is in journalism, not library or information sciences or whatever they’re calling it, these days). We’ve all become so used to journalists and publicity reps for various publishers and conventions just changing “library clerk” to “librarian” that we just go along with it, these days. For the record, Ed has worked continuously in various libraries since April 9, 1974, as a page, security guard, clerk, acting bookmobile supervisor, acting clerk caretaker, acting page supervisor, acting assistant branch head, acting branch head, and library tutor/mentor (to, yes, full-fledged “librarians”). He’s also been a speaker at OLA and ALA annual conferences, several times.
love to all,
THO
P.S. I forgot: Ed's been a library board member (of a board for a township far from the one he works in, of course) for years now. So you might say he's simultaneously one of the lords of the castle and one of its scullery lads.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 May 2005 15:04:12
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  02:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

Now, as for this comment of yours: “As I’ve found, eventually characters take on a life of their own and jump entirely out of one’s control.”
I know exactly what you mean, but my answer has to be: No.
Except when writing purely for my own pleasure, not publication, I’ve never had the luxury of sitting back and seeing where the characters take me. I always have editors who want the tale outlined, and I have to deliver that promised plot: I CAN’T “lose control.” Yes, as you say, “everything flows organically,” so you have to choose the right characters to ‘fit’ initially. However, the throne and the quill are yours: you CAN make characters do and say what you need them to do. The trick is squaring that with the self-life they seem to take on (which is only in your head, remember, until you get a particular tale published and others read those little curved squiggles of ink on a page and assemble imaginary pictures in their heads, to let the characters ‘live’ there).

Fascinating. That makes perfect sense.

And it explains why I hate writing outlines so much.

quote:
I ache to be able to just let the characters take over. If you start a large, successful publishing company and want to offer me big bucks to write fantasy novels for you, give me the chance to do that, will you?

I shall put it on my top ten list of things to do before lichdom. Indeed.

But seriously, it would be an honor. [bows]

quote:
I’d give a lot to see where some of my characters would go, if I let them loose to wander as they willed. Of course, we might just send up with a big game of strip poker between Mirt, Elminster, Storm, the Simbul, Sharantyr, and so on (and I have this horrible feeling that the majority of our characters none of us would want to see naked would be the ones who’d be losing) . . .

I don't know if this helps with that particular mental image, THO, but I suppose such an accomplished game would involve the losing of those characters who Beshaba and Tymora most want to see naked -- unless, of course, they just end up fighting about it. In which case. . .

I think we've got the makings of an Ed of the Greenwood story that needs to be written, ladies and gents.

My thanks for the responses, and I look forward to further conversing with you both (Ed and THO) here and there and everywhere (*ahem* even the secret room under the stair, as the rhyme goes).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  02:38:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The last source finally helped me figure out how to make an NPC based on a particular GI Joe figure...
I'll admit that I've done something similar, but not using that particular resource. Who was the figure?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  06:12:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and Sarelle: Ed’s a library clerk (his degree is in journalism, not library or information sciences or whatever they’re calling it, these days). We’ve all become so used to journalists and publicity reps for various publishers and conventions just changing “library clerk” to “librarian” that we just go along with it, these days. For the record, Ed has worked continuously in various libraries since April 9, 1974, as a page, security guard, clerk, acting bookmobile supervisor, acting clerk caretaker, acting page supervisor, acting assistant branch head, acting branch head, and library tutor/mentor (to, yes, full-fledged “librarians”). He’s also been a speaker at OLA and ALA annual conferences, several times.
love to all,
THO

Not sure about Canada, but in Sweden it's called information sciences, sayeth Kajehase who (for reasons that won't interest anyone here) didn't even stick around long enough to become a library clerk.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  13:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Any chance of getting my question answered? I was asking if there was a name for the hills SW of the Evermoors, and if there's anything of interest known about them (humanoids, crypts, dungeons, etc).

Also, is it possible to travel via Underdark routes from, say, the High Forest/Yartar area to Sundabar? I'm asking if there is an underground trade route that could be used during the winter, or was it too dangerous and/or indirect to be useful?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  15:01:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bendal, Ed has your question in his hands. Which is another way of saying it’s been added to the HUGE (and ever-growing) pile.
Ed is probably the busiest person I know (and I know a lot of frantically busy people), and right now he’s trying to co-write a book in 6 days. Yes, 6 days.
So don’t be surprised if he falls silent for a day or two at a time. Your question is one of the more recent ones (some scribes have been waiting since LAST April), and so will probably be answered later than some of the earlier ones.
However, that’s not a certainty either. Sometimes (particularly when Ed either refers to lore notes he currently has in front of him for some secret project or other, or doesn’t have to consult or create lore at all, because he’s dealing with matters of opinion) he answers the most recent questions as quick as a flash.
I promise that (unless he gets run over by a bus or otherwise removed from the scene) he WILL answer your question as quickly as he can. He doesn’t want to leave DMs waiting in the middle of a Realms campaign; this is one of the reasons he’s so energetically continued detailing the Realms in print for the past twenty-six years or so. First there’s this gap here that needs to be filled, and then this other one over here, and then this third one, and oh, this fourth one - - and so on.
However, this thread and its 2004 predecessor long ago fell away from being a "swift answer service" just because of the pressures of Ed's staggering workload and so many scribes requesting answers.
I seem to recall that Ed dealt in passing with the area you’re interested in, in his “New Adventures of Volo” DRAGON column, but I may be remembering some of the columns that never got finished and printed, rather than those that did. Can any scribe help Bendal, here? In the meantime, I’ll ‘ping’ Ed to see if he hath a Bendal answer anywhere near the top of the heap.
As for your Underdark route question: strong, skilled adventurers can make that passage, but the route is far too dangerous (and dominated at its western end by the need to cross several subterranean chasms without benefit of bridges, which makes transporting goods and pack beasts VERY difficult) to see use as an easy trade route. Again, I’ll ask Ed for amplification.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  21:55:43  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message
He should seriously consider lichdom so that he would never have to take a break

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  23:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

He should seriously consider lichdom so that he would never have to take a break

Bah! It would be much more efficient to clone Ed In this way one or two Eds could write for Wizards and the others would reply to Realmslore queries And then we could rule the world! Bwahahahahah!

Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  00:18:59  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax
Bah! It would be much more efficient to clone Ed In this way one or two Eds could write for Wizards and the others would reply to Realmslore queries And then we could rule the world! Bwahahahahah!

Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself

I like this idea. :) Come here Ed we only need a blood sample and a little bit of hair. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  02:04:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Three brief replies from Ed, this time around:

To kuje31’s “Come here Ed we only need a blood sample and a little bit of hair. :)” - - Um, no. I’ve been told before to ‘stop all that cloning around.’ Now, if you were a pretty girl, my answer might be different . . . ;}

To Lauzoril: much thanks. It’s good to know that the Finnish translation of MAKING OF A MAGE is so good, and I thank you for your time and trouble. (I’m also pleased your mother liked it: hurray! Entertaining non-gamers whenever I can!)
I haven’t the foggiest why they didn’t include an author profile. Very few European edition Realms reprints seem to.

Zandilar, your sharp eyes did not fail you. You did spot a reference to Caladnei in my “After The Dragon” DRAGON ANNUAL article.
As for mental illnesses: they’re treated in all sorts of ways, from driving the “dangerous mad afflicted ones” out into the wilderness to fend for themselves, to ‘taking them in’ to monasteries and temples and giving them a living in return for service (in the gardens, kitchens, privy-cleaning, floor-washing, et al) whilst elaborate cures are attempted (yes, sometimes this means “the crazed-witted” are deliberately experimented on, and indeed not all cures work).
Many ‘slow’ folk, or those who are just ‘a little funny’ (occasional seizures or triggers, as opposed to constantly-dangerous-to-all behaviour) dwell in their communities (“every village has its idiot”), and yes, there are asylums, often called ‘howling keeps’ (because of the loud ravings of the madfolk confined therein, and because of their fortress-like stone construction).
The majority of ‘dangerous or helpless’ madfolk are purchased or captured for sale as sacrifices (or body parts sources) to evil alchemists and priests, or are treated with drugs (usually herbs) in cloistered religious communities of various sorts (monasteries, fortified abbeys, temple-farms, and the like). They are often used as lay servants/workers.

So saith Ed. Onward, deeper into the rich and ever-richer lore of the fabled Forgotten Realms.
Charge! (or, if you prefer: Wheee!)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  02:36:36  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
First, as always, thanks to Ed and The Hooded One for sharing all of this lore and insight into the Realms! And to everyone else for thinking of questions for them to answer, of course. ;-)

My question has to do with the relationship between Mystra and Sehanine Moonbow of the Seldarine, and more important, between their followers and churches. Somewhat of a stab in the dark, but after reading about Aloevan (sp?) of the Ardeep Forest, and the background of Khelben and his Silverstars, it seemed that they might have some sort of special relationship. Am I overanalyzing this?

The wheels started turning on this as I was thinking of a background for an elven cleric of Sehanine who lives in Elventree, and how growing up so close to a major temple to Mystra might have an influence on her faith and practices (not to mention the influence of the Eilistraeeans who were introduced in the War of the Spider Queen novels--but I digress!). In the campaign, there's a temple to Sehanine nearby in the woods of the Elven Court. Anyway, does all of this make sense in the context of official Realmslore?

Thanks in advance, and no rush on the answers to my specific questions--I'm grateful for the torrent of lore that's come from this and last year's threads, and appreciate the time and effort that it must take!

Edited by - Finglas Leaflock on 22 May 2005 02:38:49
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  03:11:39  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. Three brief replies from Ed, this time around:

To kuje31’s “Come here Ed we only need a blood sample and a little bit of hair. :)” - - Um, no. I’ve been told before to ‘stop all that cloning around.’ Now, if you were a pretty girl, my answer might be different . . . ;}

Grins.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  07:24:02  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Have a few questions for Ed for a story I'm working on about the Purple Lady tavern/festhall in Westgate. I looked through FR Adventures, Cloak & Dagger, the FRCS, and the 1e and 2e material but not finding the answers so I thought I'd ask.

1) Who is the proprietor? I don't need stats just info on who it is.... Like what he/she/it looks like... And anything else Ed wants to say about her/him/it. If Ed likes he could also expand this to include others that work at the tavern/festhall. :)

2) What type of entertainment goes on there?

3) What does the building look like? How many floors? Etc.

4) What kind of fare does the place offer. I noticed that it's fare is good/expensive.

5) I figure there is a specific reason why the workers wear purple robes. Care to expand that? :)

6) I guess that's it for now.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  09:34:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

5) I figure there is a specific reason why the workers wear purple robes. Care to expand that? :)

I'm guessing Danilo Thann gave them all the clothes he'd been wearing in Zazesspur.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  15:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met, o The Hooded One!

Here are some questions to the fabled sage Ed(minster) of the Greenwood (who hopefully will bear with my many, many inquiries ;)

First of all, I would like to ask about how guilds operate in Cormyr. As far as I can remember, this subject has been touched only very lightly in Realmslore. How are the guilds organized - is there a local guildmaster in every city? Is there possibly a grandmaster in Suzail for each guild? Do they only operate in cities or also in smaller towns? How many professions have guilds, and which ones? Can they be compared to the guilds of Waterdeep?
Then, how about guild uniforms? I know that James Lowder mentioned a couple of guilds in his novel "Crusade", but I didn´t like the way they were portrayed (with all due respect to mr. Lowder ;)

I am also a bit confused with the title "Herald". You wrote in ´The Code of the Harpers" (quote): "At the bottom of the heraldic hierarchy are the many local Heralds, who dwell all over Faerun. In some cases these Heralds are subjects of the local crown (as in Cormyr) and in some cases they are independent foes or rivals of the authorities". Another quote from the same chapter: "In Cormyr, Heralds are sponsored by the crown, and they bear their title the name of the community they dwell in. The monarch can advance candidates for these posts, but they are formally filled by the Heralds."

Is there a difference between a ´herald´and a ´Herald´ (with a capital H), or are these both spellings correct and mean the same title? Did I understand correctly that all the local Heralds belong to the organization that has split from the Harpers, and thus they are all connected to (and approved by) the High Heralds? Are the High Heralds the only (and supreme) authority who can bestow the title of ´Herald'? Local rulers may only support a candidate to a post, yet they hold no real authority over who will fill this post?

I personally have always seen the Cormyrean Heralds as sort of "aides/servants of the local lords" (and this seems to be supported by the quote above). The Lords are required to "defend the local farms, and dispense the King's Justice".
However, in the Code of the Harpers there is a passage that reads (quote): "All Heralds serve as a diplomatic liaison between nobles within a realm, the governing powers of various kingdoms, and between sages and bards everywhere."
Do the Heralds hold authority over local nobility and War Wizards, then? In cases of a dispute between two nobles, do they turn to the Herald who dwells closest to them (in case they live in rural areas), or the local lord? Is the Herald's authority over all matters concerning nobles greater than that of a local lord in Cormyr? I would guess not, since they are described as "being subjects of the local Crown" . Do the nobles and merchant-lords turn to the Heralds in cases of disputes all over Faerun? How does this work in Waterdeep with the Magisters serving in a similar role? Do they act as judges over commoners at all (or is this under the sole jurisdiction of the local rulers?)

Are there any "lesser" Heralds in Cormyr (serving in rural ares) in addition to those listed in the Code of the Harpers (and other accessories)?
Last question concering the Heralds: do they also bear curved, ornamented horns (at least on ceremonial occasions) in Cormyr?

The local lords and heralds seem to leave few duties for the nobility, so I would like to know if the local nobility has any authority over commoners in rural communities in Cormyr, and what are their duties to the Crown? What is the difference between nobility and the local lords? Is there any rivalry between the noble families and the Heralds?

I am also curious about the fact that none of the local lords in Cormyr seem to come from the Realm's many prominent noble families - why? Are these posts seen by nobility as only fit for "upstarts" who wish to "get their hands dirty with commoner trash", or perhaps the King has always wished to fill these posts with people he can trust (such as ex-Purple Dragons or ex-adventurers)?

I would also like to ask about what kind of authorities govern over the daily lives of rural communities (thorps/hamlets/villages)? Is there usually a village mayor or elder, or perhaps the patrolling Purple Dragons and War Wizards act as "temporary" mayors/judges? Or does the closest local lord hold the supreme authority? For example, do the villagers of the small hamlet of Gorthin turn to the lord of Wheloon in major disputes/troubles, with a mayor or a local nobleman taking care of everyday governing?

If I may be so bold as to make a wish, I would wish that should you be involved in (a possible) region book concerning Cormyr, there would be a complete list of the noble families mentioned so far in Realmslore (with at least a brief write-up on their histories) and also a chapter of Cormyrean heraldry (with illustrated coats-of-arms for the noble families and cities/towns).

I thank thee for your patience, if you ever made it this far ;)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Yet more questions for the Sage and Ed:

Concerning merchant costers and trade routes:

The Guide to the Realms and other sources indicate that trading companies routinely hire experienced adventurers for guard duty on hazardous routes. What would be the expected range of levels for these guards? I'm assuming somewhere between 5-9; is that about right?

Several companies are described as actually engaging in outright attacks on their competitors to drive them away and preserve various exclusive rights to particular trade routes. How prevalent is this, and on what kinds of routes would these kinds of attacks be expected? Again, I'm assuming some of the more isolated routes (along the Surbrin River or the Trade Road between Yartar and Everlund, for example).

I recall seeing somewhere a description of a typical caravan. I believe it listed several wagons, extra mounts, and guards as making up a typical group. Is this accurate?

As usual, thanks for the opportunity to get answers right from the masters!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:52:43  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I'm guessing Danilo Thann gave them all the clothes he'd been wearing in Zazesspur.

HAHAH. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000