Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  17:51:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Thier children are also in the Lands of Intrigue box set. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  23:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Hello, o The Hooded One... this one goes out to Ed of the Greenwood, who hopefully isn´t offended by the small details that I´d like to inquire (my players are VERY keen on them).

All my questions concern Realmslore that Ed has already written about, but hopefully he finds the time to answer these:

I´d like to know more about ´tallhouses´ which Ed has referred to many times... he describes them resembling row-houses with four to six floors. Do they have multiple entrances? Where are the staircases located? Are there ´fire-escape´-like wooden stairs accessing the upper floors outside, or is there perhaps a single central staircase inside the house? How many apartments does a typical floor contain? Are there kitchen and bathroom facilities on each floor?

Then about the typical Sembian upcountry dwellings, which are described as ´walled compounds´. Does he mean ´walled´as in ´surrounded by a wooden palisade´or perhaps a low stone (or wood) fence/wall?

Another question concerns the half-elven ´arndils´, which are described as ´cabins´. Are they made of wood or stone, or perhaps both?

Thank you in advance!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  02:28:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello all. Ed of the Greenwood makes reply to new Realms author Erik Scott de Bie:

Hi, Erik! Welcome to the fold! The wolves come down fairly often, so pick a spot that’s not too bloodstained and make yourself comfy . . .
Yes, of course I run into editorial restriction / oversight when I’m writing the Band of Four. My editor is the former head of TSR’s Books Department, Brian Thomsen.
Brian’s editing style is to shape the story at the outline and rewrite stage (sometimes in great detail, sometimes in overall grand sweep), but leave the actual storytelling (prose details) to the writer. If you don’t give him what he’s looking for, of course, he’ll zero in on specific paragraphs, scenes, or even individual names, descriptions, or lone words.
So, yes, I have greater freedom, but then again: no, I don’t. I agreed to deliver a certain sort of book for the Band of Four series (the fifth one, THE SILENT HOUSE, is deeper, darker, and more complex than the quartet that precedes it), and Brian held me to crafting that sort of book.
Which is fine with me: I had great fun doing them, and got to explore things from a slightly different viewpoint and style than I usually can when doing Realms books. In terms of how ‘sexy’ they are: they’re not much stronger than the Realms (a TRIFLE stronger than most but not all of MY Realms writing), because that’s the niche Tor Books was looking to see filled. (See Jordan, Goodkind, Carey, Hayden et al for much racier Tor-published fantasy novels.)

Now, as for this comment of yours: “As I’ve found, eventually characters take on a life of their own and jump entirely out of one’s control.”
I know exactly what you mean, but my answer has to be: No.
Except when writing purely for my own pleasure, not publication, I’ve never had the luxury of sitting back and seeing where the characters take me. I always have editors who want the tale outlined, and I have to deliver that promised plot: I CAN’T “lose control.” Yes, as you say, “everything flows organically,” so you have to choose the right characters to ‘fit’ initially. However, the throne and the quill are yours: you CAN make characters do and say what you need them to do. The trick is squaring that with the self-life they seem to take on (which is only in your head, remember, until you get a particular tale published and others read those little curved squiggles of ink on a page and assemble imaginary pictures in their heads, to let the characters ‘live’ there).
Decades ago, a much older writer, a friend of mine, used to challenge me to write a scene in which my latest favourite character did this or that. When I’d say, “But CHARACTER X would never DO that!” He’d reply, “Oh? Still think fairies dictate your dreams, do you? You’re the writer here: show me how CHARACTER X would do that, and why. Don’t tell me, show me.”
And I would, often wincing and cursing, and then he’d do it all over again. Forcing me to make characters grow and change in front of my eyes.
I ache to be able to just let the characters take over. If you start a large, successful publishing company and want to offer me big bucks to write fantasy novels for you, give me the chance to do that, will you?
I’d give a lot to see where some of my characters would go, if I let them loose to wander as they willed. Of course, we might just send up with a big game of strip poker between Mirt, Elminster, Storm, the Simbul, Sharantyr, and so on (and I have this horrible feeling that the majority of our characters none of us would want to see naked would be the ones who’d be losing) . . .

So saith Ed. Thanks for THAT mental image, Big Bearded Creator.
Asgetrion, good questions: sending them on . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  09:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

My meandering mind has recently lead me down the paths of the divine, both Real World and Faerunian... I've had a number of different questions occur to me about the gods, and those who serve them in the Realms...

How well are clerics respected in the Realms (with a particular focus on Cormyr in particular)? From my reading of a variety of novels, I get the impression that authors don't like them much (Please note: I have not read RAS's Cleric Quintet). They get very little "screen time" at all, and they especially seem to be avoided in situations where a little bit of healing would go a long way. When clerics do appear in Realms novels, it's usually as incompetent and/or fanatical (there are exceptions, I do acknowledge that - Gwennath, for example, in C:AN and in DotD, and the priest of Tempus who helps Tanalasta deliver her son)... But that dislike doesn't seem to be just from the authors... For example: Some soldiers at the end of DotD were almost rolling their eyes and groaning in annoyance when clerics started to appear to try and help Azoun IV. They were almost saying things like: "Typical they should appear just after we've done all the hard work" (don't have the book here, so can't give you an exact quote. ) and that they were "vultures"... Not a very good attitude to have towards the people who serve good deities (the only cleric of an evil god there was one of Malar), and certianly not respectful of those who might have been able to heal the King.

Malar seems to have a fairly large following in Cormyr, if his priest was permitted anywhere near Azoun IV. Is this right?

Why is Darmos Lauthyr still in power? He comes across like a madman in the stories I've read that have included cameos by him... And his idea to "unite the church of Tymora" doesn't really seem... well Tymoran to me. Though, perhaps, it is a rather bold idea. Perhaps there's something about him I've missed?

In the 2nd Edition god book Demihuman Detities, it is said that Eilistraee has no male clergy... But in the 3e book Faiths and Pantheons, no mention is made of this restriction at all. Should the 2nd Ed information remain canon, or does this represent a shift in Eilistraee's church towards accepting male clergy? If it doesn't represent such a shift, why is it that Eilistraee only accepts females to be clerics? And if it does, why has she chosen now? or is it some kind of retcon? (I have my own theory, but it's terribly biased, and totally coloured by my own perceptions... and there's no evidence to support it either.)

Last question: Where do souls come from (for those races that have them)? Is there a deity who assigns them to newborns (I'd presume each race would have to have one if they did)? Or is a soul made when the child is first concieved with no divine "intervention/interference" at all?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 18 May 2005 09:17:47
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  16:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
On clerics and Cormyr, in repsonse to Zandilar:

To avoid getting long-winded about the subject, priests are viewed differently by different factes of society. Soldiers honor them for their healing, wizards (especially the War Wizards) deride them for their dependence on deities for spell power, commonfolk are thankful for their protections against widespread disease, and nobles find them entertaining diversions (sometimes). The soldiers at the end of Death of the Dragon were both insulted by the priests' presence (Azoun was dying a "good death," painful though it was, and should be with his men) and their behavior (acting like scrambling courtiers, not men of faith). Soldiers have a way of knowing when their comrade--or their king--has suffered irreperable injury.

Malar's following is fairly large and widespread in Cormyr; he is the only deity of evil alignment that's openly worshipped in the Forest Kingdom. In his aspect as god of the hunt, rangers, scouts, and members of the nobility offer him veneration at some point, if not as their patron.

Other gods, of course, have their followings as well. Murderers will always like Cyric, usurper will call on Bane or Gargauth, and nobles will always, ahem, toy with the worship of Loviatar, but (apart from Malar) no evil god is welcomed in Cormyr. This is not to say that they do not receive their tribute--Umberlee's name is whispered in ports and Talos is invoked to keep lightning from striking one's home or business--only that the clergy of such gods don't tend to walk openly in Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  18:26:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ZandilarLast question: Where do souls come from (for those races that have them)? Is there a deity who assigns them to newborns (I'd presume each race would have to have one if they did)? Or is a soul made when the child is first concieved with no divine "intervention/interference" at all?

Most of us agree that souls that are not connected to a deity come from the positive energy plane, which makes sense in light that greater undead that have souls are fueled by the negative energy plane. :)

Now, of course, TSR never actually stated where souls come from at least that I can recall.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 18 May 2005 18:27:18
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  19:30:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
In the 2nd Edition god book Demihuman Detities, it is said that Eilistraee has no male clergy... But in the 3e book Faiths and Pantheons, no mention is made of this restriction at all. Should the 2nd Ed information remain canon, or does this represent a shift in Eilistraee's church towards accepting male clergy? If it doesn't represent such a shift, why is it that Eilistraee only accepts females to be clerics? And if it does, why has she chosen now? or is it some kind of retcon? (I have my own theory, but it's terribly biased, and totally coloured by my own perceptions... and there's no evidence to support it either.)

This question has been posed already and unanswered so far (unless I missed it). New source over rides older sources, for example Lolth got rid of all her male clerics one way or another. There is a discusion here: http://www.eilistraee.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=creligion;cat=chosen that tries to explore what changes might apply to the 3rd Edition. As is fan based certainly not canon. The conculsion that is offered is that most will be female, however the restriction of gender to be a Cleric remains, this in part supported with the fact that Sword Dancers have to be female. The is also the Silverhair Knight (Sin-Eater of Eilistraee) in Dragon Magazine #315 that does not have a gender restriction, though requires Dive casting abilities. Paladins are not premitted pecause of alignment of Eilistraee so the only other Divine caster is ranger and they certainly can be either gender.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 18 May 2005 19:35:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  02:23:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by ZandilarLast question: Where do souls come from (for those races that have them)? Is there a deity who assigns them to newborns (I'd presume each race would have to have one if they did)? Or is a soul made when the child is first concieved with no divine "intervention/interference" at all?

Most of us agree that souls that are not connected to a deity come from the positive energy plane, which makes sense in light that greater undead that have souls are fueled by the negative energy plane. :)

Now, of course, TSR never actually stated where souls come from at least that I can recall.

Neither do I. There have been, of course, numerous theories, but I've disliked them all. In fact, I've rather enjoyed the fact that the nature of the soul, as well as its origin, has always been left unexplained.

There are at least some mysteries that remain in 3e.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  02:49:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed has replied to Slime Lord’s query, relayed by kuje31: “How did you (Ed) manage to keep track of everything when you where and are creating Toril and all that goes with it?”
Here’s Ed:

You think I can keep track of anything, anymore? BWOOOhahahahahah!
Do I strike you as particularly sane?
Ahem, seriously now: as a librarian, I spend oodles of my life organizing things. I love doing indexes for books, and otherwise ‘tidying’ information.
Yet the Realms long ago started moving too fast for me to keep up with all of the details everyone else adds to it. I just cling to the runaway dragon for dear (as in: not tonight, dear!) life, and try to keep up as best I can. Remember, I’ve always had a day job (with big commute), a busy social life, and a writing pace that most other writers frankly just don’t believe. Oh, yes, and I play games, roleplaying and otherwise. Toss in eating and sleeping, and I’ve never had TIME to sit back and organize things!

So saith Ed. Whose big secret is out, now! Sorry you asked?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  03:35:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Danka Ed. I'll try to find another WOTC poster who needs something answered, just to keep you on your toes. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  03:30:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. More ‘housekeeping’ from Ed, wherein he replies briefly to several scribes:

To KnightErrantJR: glad you liked the Thor analogy, but I’ve got to show my age here: to me, as a Thor reader, Walt Simonson is one of the “recent, new” creatives (in other words, Ragnarok had already been done several times, notably both by Kirby [twice] and Thomas, before Simonson ever appeared on the book to do HIS Ragnarok). Which just strengthens my point.

Krafus, I WONDERED how long it was going to be before someone asked me who by the Simbul’s wind-whipped nipples Ghalaster of Thay was. Congrats.
Hi, Damian. Krafus is correct in his hopes, the golem-builder is the Masked One, and not the same person.
As for the fates of both Ghalaster and the Masked One (ooh, I feel positively EVIL doing this), all I can tell you is [NDA].

David Maxson, you’re quite welcome, and yes, there will be more major revelations about Realms deities and cosmology in the future. Not soon as readers receive things, but . . . as soon as possible.

So saith Ed. Who has an answer for Si on the way (he tells me).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  03:44:28  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Great googaly moogaly . . . I felt old making a Walt Simonson reference! LOL . . . sorry Ed.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  05:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
More cosmology and godly revelations in the not soon but not too distant future? Well that is very exciting news for me--as the cosmology has been an abiding preoccupation for me since it was introduced. Very exciting news indeed!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  05:38:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

More cosmology and godly revelations in the not soon but not too distant future? Well that is very exciting news for me--as the cosmology has been an abiding preoccupation for me since it was introduced. Very exciting news indeed!

I'll echo that. I missed this scroll in my earlier pass this morning (still reading through CoR).

But I'm glad to hear that both the Realms deities and the cosmology itself will be getting more attention in the future. I'm more inclined toward the cosmological elements myself though, since the gods have already received some significant detailing of their own through the years...

Edited by - The Sage on 20 May 2005 05:39:21
Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  13:03:58  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

<snipping for brevity>
And speaking of Zandilar: she laid this question before us all: “If Alusair got herself pregnant somehow, would she be required to marry? Since there’d be absolutely no doubt that the child was hers

On the matter of there being no doubt a child was Alusair's, in a world that contains powerful shapeshifters and similar magic I'd say that anyone who wants to rabble rouse can always cast doubt, provided they're willing to risk Alusair finding out about their calumny. Which leads me to my next question, I know this veers perilously close to real world, CSI territory but has Ed ever had occasion to use blood tracing magic? Magic which can prove who your mother, father is etc. It occurs to me that this might be very valuable in aristocratic cases of succession.
On a lighter note, regarding Cormyr again

quote:
Moreover, the Crown has a handful of agents of its own (the Highknights) to call on, to do the skulk-and-dagger stuff the Harpers often do. So I’d say they’re NOT often called upon, formally or otherwise, by Crown officials.

Having read the relevant article, while their loyalty and discretion wouldn't be in question, the qualities desired for a highknight don't really seem to be suited for skulk-and-dagger
Straight out investigation, with a little intimidation thrown in I can see but as described they really, really don't sound like plain-clothes kind of guys.
Which would lead me into asking what steps Alusair is taking to formulate an intelligence service (as mentioned in the same issue) if I wasn't certain that it would be crushed under the iron boot of an NDA.
Sigh

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  13:28:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
I´m already wonder about news in cosmology of the Realms...

In the Products page in the WoTC website, some time ago, the Champions of Ruin was stated that will have "evil planar touchstones", or something like this. But the book come, and nothing of that info appear. So, I´m wondering...

Will that Wizards that Dwell on the Coast give us a great scroll about Realms Cosmology next year (and put 99% of the scribes of Candlekkep in Nirvana - really talking)???

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Thaingrim
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  15:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Thaingrim's Homepage Send Thaingrim a Private Message
MR greenwood,

i already asked this on the WotC forum but got but litle usefull lore

i want to play a drow in a upcoming underdark campain ( 'round the northdark) and i kinda like the prestige classes featured in "underdark", especialy arachnomancer and drow judicator... but i can't seem to find any other info about them. i'd like to know how they are regarded in drow society ( espiacialy menzo ,since that's where the chaaracter comes from)and basicaly any info is welcome (since i have so few)

i know you didn't take part in the underdark book but i can't seem to find any tread with one of the authors so i figured i'd go ask the boss ^^

thx in advance...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  17:10:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thaingrim

MR greenwood,

i want to play a drow in a upcoming underdark campain ( 'round the northdark) and i kinda like the prestige classes featured in "underdark", especialy arachnomancer and drow judicator... but i can't seem to find any other info about them. i'd like to know how they are regarded in drow society ( espiacialy menzo ,since that's where the chaaracter comes from)and basicaly any info is welcome (since i have so few)

i know you didn't take part in the underdark book but i can't seem to find any tread with one of the authors so i figured i'd go ask the boss ^^

thx in advance...

Not that it helps you any for this, but there are a couple of older 2E sources of info on drow and the Underdark. Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, the Menzoberranzan boxed set, and Ed's own tome The Drow of the Underdark.

The last source finally helped me figure out how to make an NPC based on a particular GI Joe figure...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  17:56:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thaingrim

MR greenwood,

thx in advance...

Also, and I don't speak for Ed when I say this, Ed doesn't play 3/3.5e so he might not know what those prestige classes are nor what they do by the rules. :)

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  18:21:46  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed replies to Sarelle:

Thank you very much for the info. I'm now starting to wish that the yuan-ti and the sarrukh would ruin their style and jump out and reveal themselves to the world, just to see how things turned out. It'd make the Shades seem laughable!

I also second the mixed anticipation/impatience of those who commented on your teased upcoming Realms deity and cosmology events. Sounds dramatic!

One other quick question has sprung up. I was just working on the Wikipedia (an online free huge encyclopedia) and came back to your entry, and it was being asked whether you were a librarian or a library clerk (being slightly more ignorant I didn't know there was a difference, myself). You recently referred to yourself as a librarian, so is that correct? (Your article can be viewed here btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Greenwood) :)

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  20:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
This is my first chance to visit this thread this year. I was searching for any info on Tantras that I might have missed. I was both glad and disappointed not to have missed any.

A belated happy new year to all.
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  21:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message
I just thought of a topic that I would love to know more about if Ed feels so inclined. Sir, can you tell me more about the "Lost Ways" that are located in the hills above Mulmaster?

Much thanks...
Go to Top of Page

Thaingrim
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  23:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Thaingrim's Homepage Send Thaingrim a Private Message
in that case is there anyone else that could give me the info i need ?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  01:22:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed’s promised reply to Si:

Si, I’ll write a proper answer to your tallhouse request as soon as I can, but let me speak to this query of yours: “How closely related do you have to be to the rulers of a Waterdeep Noble family to receive the full Noble privileges (stipend, status etc)? Obviously this will vary from family to family, but there must be quite a few of the Noble families who have hordes of 'country cousins' who have to make their own way in the world.”

Correct, many Waterdhavian nobles do have ‘country cousins’ who share the name but not the wealth. Most of them are indeed in the country (that is, outside Waterdeep, most often employed by the family as trade agents or to maintain stopover family houses in various cities or towns in Amn or elsewhere in the Heartlands). As for noble privileges: the only special treatment Waterdhavian nobles enjoy is legal status, which extends to everyone a particular family doesn’t disown (who identifies themself as a Waterdhavian noble). These legal rights are most clearly detailed in the CITY OF SPLENDORS boxed set (yes, that coverage is incomplete), and the best ‘feel’ for the noble families will probably be gleaned from reading the novel Elaine and I wrote, CITY OF SPLENDORS, when it comes out. As for a stipend: the government of Waterdeep gives nobles nothing.
Most noble families of Waterdeep are very wealthy as a result of their land holdings (crops and rents) and trade activities (major fields of activity are identified in their CoS boxed set entries), and most core members of a noble family have their bills paid for them by their stewards (employees), drafts upon the family funds usually being approved by the family matriarch or patriarch (who may be enraged by the activities of a gambler or wild one in the family, but won’t dare fail to pay their bills, because once word gets around, it will imperil the family’s reputation, credit, and other mercantile activities). Some of the less wealthy nobles encourage their children to make investments or start their own businesses ‘on the side’ to earn their own spending money.
Wastrels may be publicly disowned, quietly killed in ‘accidents’ or shipped off in virtual slavery (drugged or coerced) to far corners of the world to make their own fortunes, or serve as hireswords (in hopes that battle will soon kill them), or even sent on family business far from Waterdeep and there poisoned by hired agents.
In short, the heads of noble houses decide who gets lavish spending money, or lives in the family mansions. They dare not mistreat spouses or heirs in any way that the city can detect, or their own status (and that of the family) will be permanently harmed. However, inside their mansion walls, anything goes, from floggings or torture to incest and mind-altering or -controlling spells. Which is NOT to say that most nobles mistreat their relatives, only that they have the power and ability to do so. I recommend my story “The Eye of the Dragon,” published in REALMS OF MAGIC and my forthcoming ‘Best of Eddie’ collection, for a taste of what internal relationships within noble families can be like.

So saith Ed, THE Master of Realmslore. And bestower of great backrubs.

Oh, and Sarelle: Ed’s a library clerk (his degree is in journalism, not library or information sciences or whatever they’re calling it, these days). We’ve all become so used to journalists and publicity reps for various publishers and conventions just changing “library clerk” to “librarian” that we just go along with it, these days. For the record, Ed has worked continuously in various libraries since April 9, 1974, as a page, security guard, clerk, acting bookmobile supervisor, acting clerk caretaker, acting page supervisor, acting assistant branch head, acting branch head, and library tutor/mentor (to, yes, full-fledged “librarians”). He’s also been a speaker at OLA and ALA annual conferences, several times.
love to all,
THO
P.S. I forgot: Ed's been a library board member (of a board for a township far from the one he works in, of course) for years now. So you might say he's simultaneously one of the lords of the castle and one of its scullery lads.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 May 2005 15:04:12
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  02:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

Now, as for this comment of yours: “As I’ve found, eventually characters take on a life of their own and jump entirely out of one’s control.”
I know exactly what you mean, but my answer has to be: No.
Except when writing purely for my own pleasure, not publication, I’ve never had the luxury of sitting back and seeing where the characters take me. I always have editors who want the tale outlined, and I have to deliver that promised plot: I CAN’T “lose control.” Yes, as you say, “everything flows organically,” so you have to choose the right characters to ‘fit’ initially. However, the throne and the quill are yours: you CAN make characters do and say what you need them to do. The trick is squaring that with the self-life they seem to take on (which is only in your head, remember, until you get a particular tale published and others read those little curved squiggles of ink on a page and assemble imaginary pictures in their heads, to let the characters ‘live’ there).

Fascinating. That makes perfect sense.

And it explains why I hate writing outlines so much.

quote:
I ache to be able to just let the characters take over. If you start a large, successful publishing company and want to offer me big bucks to write fantasy novels for you, give me the chance to do that, will you?

I shall put it on my top ten list of things to do before lichdom. Indeed.

But seriously, it would be an honor. [bows]

quote:
I’d give a lot to see where some of my characters would go, if I let them loose to wander as they willed. Of course, we might just send up with a big game of strip poker between Mirt, Elminster, Storm, the Simbul, Sharantyr, and so on (and I have this horrible feeling that the majority of our characters none of us would want to see naked would be the ones who’d be losing) . . .

I don't know if this helps with that particular mental image, THO, but I suppose such an accomplished game would involve the losing of those characters who Beshaba and Tymora most want to see naked -- unless, of course, they just end up fighting about it. In which case. . .

I think we've got the makings of an Ed of the Greenwood story that needs to be written, ladies and gents.

My thanks for the responses, and I look forward to further conversing with you both (Ed and THO) here and there and everywhere (*ahem* even the secret room under the stair, as the rhyme goes).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  02:38:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The last source finally helped me figure out how to make an NPC based on a particular GI Joe figure...
I'll admit that I've done something similar, but not using that particular resource. Who was the figure?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  06:12:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and Sarelle: Ed’s a library clerk (his degree is in journalism, not library or information sciences or whatever they’re calling it, these days). We’ve all become so used to journalists and publicity reps for various publishers and conventions just changing “library clerk” to “librarian” that we just go along with it, these days. For the record, Ed has worked continuously in various libraries since April 9, 1974, as a page, security guard, clerk, acting bookmobile supervisor, acting clerk caretaker, acting page supervisor, acting assistant branch head, acting branch head, and library tutor/mentor (to, yes, full-fledged “librarians”). He’s also been a speaker at OLA and ALA annual conferences, several times.
love to all,
THO

Not sure about Canada, but in Sweden it's called information sciences, sayeth Kajehase who (for reasons that won't interest anyone here) didn't even stick around long enough to become a library clerk.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  13:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Any chance of getting my question answered? I was asking if there was a name for the hills SW of the Evermoors, and if there's anything of interest known about them (humanoids, crypts, dungeons, etc).

Also, is it possible to travel via Underdark routes from, say, the High Forest/Yartar area to Sundabar? I'm asking if there is an underground trade route that could be used during the winter, or was it too dangerous and/or indirect to be useful?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  15:01:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bendal, Ed has your question in his hands. Which is another way of saying it’s been added to the HUGE (and ever-growing) pile.
Ed is probably the busiest person I know (and I know a lot of frantically busy people), and right now he’s trying to co-write a book in 6 days. Yes, 6 days.
So don’t be surprised if he falls silent for a day or two at a time. Your question is one of the more recent ones (some scribes have been waiting since LAST April), and so will probably be answered later than some of the earlier ones.
However, that’s not a certainty either. Sometimes (particularly when Ed either refers to lore notes he currently has in front of him for some secret project or other, or doesn’t have to consult or create lore at all, because he’s dealing with matters of opinion) he answers the most recent questions as quick as a flash.
I promise that (unless he gets run over by a bus or otherwise removed from the scene) he WILL answer your question as quickly as he can. He doesn’t want to leave DMs waiting in the middle of a Realms campaign; this is one of the reasons he’s so energetically continued detailing the Realms in print for the past twenty-six years or so. First there’s this gap here that needs to be filled, and then this other one over here, and then this third one, and oh, this fourth one - - and so on.
However, this thread and its 2004 predecessor long ago fell away from being a "swift answer service" just because of the pressures of Ed's staggering workload and so many scribes requesting answers.
I seem to recall that Ed dealt in passing with the area you’re interested in, in his “New Adventures of Volo” DRAGON column, but I may be remembering some of the columns that never got finished and printed, rather than those that did. Can any scribe help Bendal, here? In the meantime, I’ll ‘ping’ Ed to see if he hath a Bendal answer anywhere near the top of the heap.
As for your Underdark route question: strong, skilled adventurers can make that passage, but the route is far too dangerous (and dominated at its western end by the need to cross several subterranean chasms without benefit of bridges, which makes transporting goods and pack beasts VERY difficult) to see use as an easy trade route. Again, I’ll ask Ed for amplification.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  21:55:43  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
He should seriously consider lichdom so that he would never have to take a break

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000