Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  04:04:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
I would love to hear more about the hobgoblins if you can spare any information at this time.

Eric Boyd created a hobgoblin kingdom, building off references in Steven Schend's LOI and EotSS work, in Drizzt Do'Urden's guide to the Underdark: the realm of Holorarar (p.113-114).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  05:54:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Yes, I’m back, safe and sound. Ed will be appearing at Mayhemcon in Belleville, Ontario, tomorrow evening only, but has found time to send me another Realmslore reply.

Also, I can answer zeathiel’s query myself: “battle leathers” are indeed just leather armour, so-called to distinguish them from a smith’s “leathers” (apron, leggings, protective tunic), the “leathers” worn by those who tame and train hawks, and so on (i.e. various sorts of workaday specialized leather garb).

Whilst penning his “state of things Cormyrean” screed (that I shared with you two days back), Ed hadn’t forgotten Gerath Hoan’s question about Caladnei: “Is she herself a member of the Harpers or does she just cooperate with them as very close allies? We saw War Wizards and Harpers working together in Elminster’s Daughter, of course, so I was curious. If she isn’t herself a Harper, is the level of cooperation between Harpers and Crown just as close throughout Cormyr? Are they often called on by the government for ‘delicate’ missions?”
Ed speaks:

I shouldn’t tell you for sure, one way or another, if Caladnei is a Harper or not, until either a Realms sourcebook or passages of published Realms fiction say, one way or the other - - but I doubt Laspeera (and other senior War Wizards) would have ‘let’ her remain as Mage Royal, once Vangey was offstage, if she showed any signs of being a Harper first and a servant of Cormyr second. So she’s quite likely NOT a Harper.
Nor are the Harpers and the Crown of Cormyr necessarily ‘close.’ Their beliefs and interests lie together right now, but remember that the Harpers oppose strong governments, so things might not remain that way. And the War Wizards are suspicious of anyone meddling in the affairs of Cormyr (except, of course, themselves :}). Moreover, the Crown has a handful of agents of its own (the Highknights) to call on, to do the skulk-and-dagger stuff the Harpers often do. So I’d say they’re NOT often called upon, formally or otherwise, by Crown officials. As for various Obarskyrs, Laspeera, Vangey, Alaphondar, or anyone else personally calling on this Harper or that, for aid or advice, as friends . . . that’s different. (And of course we all know how fragmented and ‘do thine own thing’ the Harpers are, at the best of times.)

So saith Ed. The wonderful thing about the richness and depths of the Realms is: no matter how many answers we scribes weaselXXX ahem, cajole out of Ed, we’ll never get to the end of things. Every reply just triggers more questions, and reveals more layers of lore.
Yum yum yummy . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  06:00:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Also, I can answer zeathiel’s query myself: “battle leathers” are indeed just leather armour, so-called to distinguish them from a smith’s “leathers” (apron, leggings, protective tunic), the “leathers” worn by those who tame and train hawks, and so on (i.e. various sorts of workaday specialized leather garb).

My Lady, I'm surprised you didn't mention another kind of leather attire...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  06:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My Lady, I'm surprised you didn't mention another kind of leather attire...

Then again, that could very well be called "battle leathers" as well!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  18:11:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Thanks George for that info on Hobgoblins . . . I just recently began to reaquire 2e sorces for lore, and I have that one, though I have yet to delve deeply into it.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  20:59:30  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
Yay for Eric & Steven! There should be more humanoid kingdoms mentioned and fleshed-out in FR lore!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  02:39:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Any you'd like to see receive some particular attention, Gray?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  12:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
I am partial to Gnolls & Orcs & Kobolds, but you hardly ever see anything about Meazles anywhere. Surely there's an interesting story to tell about Meazles somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  12:45:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I'm sure of that .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  14:17:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I am partial to Gnolls & Orcs & Kobolds, but you hardly ever see anything about Meazles anywhere. Surely there's an interesting story to tell about Meazles somewhere.

Can't those be gotten rid of with a simple cure disease?

(Yes, folks, I was deliberately misreading that one)

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  03:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message
Heh heh, surely! But they really hate it when you do that.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  05:11:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed hath more to say to Zandilar:

Zandilar, you posted recently about Alusair’s behaviour, wondering if she’d been abused. The answer is ‘no,’ beyond the trauma of repeated war, what I've already noted about Vangey (and remember, his meddlings were 'normal' treatment for everyone she was growing up 'close to;' we must all be careful of viewing things in the Realms through our own modern eyes and judgements) and her rebelling against a father she never forgave (as a VERY young, bewildered girl) for “abandoning” her often to “go off and fight.” Alusair was the possessive ‘second shadow’ daughter, always messy and rebellious where Tanalasta was cool, apparently contented, and perfectly behaved. (See Jim Lowder’s Realms novel CRUSADE for a look at the still-confused, still-rebellious slightly older Alusair.)
You posted “People just don't behave that way without reason.” Quite true, but the reasons aren’t always apparent to anyone: consider how different siblings raised by the same people in the same house can be.
Yes, Alusair is carrying a lot of internal pain, and fear as an infant of Vangerdahast’s magical mental invasions (and therefore of him) plus anger at her father for supporting and even obeying Vangey, plus vanishing whenever (the toddler) Alusair felt she needed him, is a big part of it.
However, let’s see what future Realms fiction shows us, rather than speculating more at this stage.

So saith Ed. Who promises to send more Realmslore tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  05:42:46  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Was it just me who got a sudden "I-want-to-read-a-lot-more-about-young-Alusair" feeling after that post?

Ed and the Hooded One - Thank you

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  07:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Zandilar, you posted recently about Alusair’s behaviour, wondering if she’d been abused. The answer is ‘no,’ beyond the trauma of repeated war, what I've already noted about Vangey (and remember, his meddlings were 'normal' treatment for everyone she was growing up 'close to;' we must all be careful of viewing things in the Realms through our own modern eyes and judgements) and her rebelling against a father she never forgave (as a VERY young, bewildered girl) for “abandoning” her often to “go off and fight.” Alusair was the possessive ‘second shadow’ daughter, always messy and rebellious where Tanalasta was cool, apparently contented, and perfectly behaved. (See Jim Lowder’s Realms novel CRUSADE for a look at the still-confused, still-rebellious slightly older Alusair.)

You posted “People just don't behave that way without reason.” Quite true, but the reasons aren’t always apparent to anyone: consider how different siblings raised by the same people in the same house can be.
Yes, Alusair is carrying a lot of internal pain, and fear as an infant of Vangerdahast’s magical mental invasions (and therefore of him) plus anger at her father for supporting and even obeying Vangey, plus vanishing whenever (the toddler) Alusair felt she needed him, is a big part of it.
However, let’s see what future Realms fiction shows us, rather than speculating more at this stage.

Yes, you're right about viewing things through our own "modern world" eyes... It's something I try not to do, but sometimes I just can't help it.

And I kind of figured it wouldn't be abuse pretty much as soon as I'd gone down that train of thought - which was why I looked at other reasons (like PTSD) as well... Still I don't think I really would want to have Alusair's childhood. Poor girl.

Excellent information. Thank you once again. :) (See, I resisted speculating futher! )

And no, Kajehase, it isn't just you.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  17:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
When can we expect to finally get some info on who's filling in now as Elminster's scribe?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  17:53:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

When can we expect to finally get some info on who's filling in now as Elminster's scribe?

Ed did give us some info either in last years thread or this years. It's a female who took the form of Lhaeo to protect the real Lhaeo, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  20:04:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Ed did give us some info either in last years thread or this years. It's a female who took the form of Lhaeo to protect the real Lhaeo, etc.

I think I've got that info saved on my machine at home, but I'll have to check later.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  21:16:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think I've got that info saved on my machine at home, but I'll have to check later.

It should also be in my two files. :) Just do a search for it....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  22:18:34  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It should also be in my two files. :) Just do a search for it....

I was interested in this too... i've searched both your documents and all we've got is Ed saying that it'll be the subject of a forthcoming Realmslore article on the official site.

Where did you get the idea from of a female imposter then, Kuje?

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  22:32:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan
I was interested in this too... i've searched both your documents and all we've got is Ed saying that it'll be the subject of a forthcoming Realmslore article on the official site.

GH

It's at the end of my 04 file to a reply to Zandilar, "The current Lhaeo is another obvious variation on the theme, being a young woman magically disguised as a rumored gay man who was actually straight. Hello, Blake Edwards! Yikes!"

Now I'm not positive that is canon. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 16 May 2005 22:36:43
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  22:50:58  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
quote:

quote:

GH

It's at the end of my 04 file to a reply to Zandilar, "The current Lhaeo is another obvious variation on the theme, being a young woman magically disguised as a rumored gay man who was actually straight. Hello, Blake Edwards! Yikes!"

Now how did i miss that one? Alaundo will not be pleased with the eyesight of this particular scribe!

Thanks Kuje, we'll wait and see what the Realmslore articles do to either expand on, or change, that particular comment of Ed's.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  23:02:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
My mistake... I don't have any info on Lhaeo's replacement. We do know, though, thanks to one of the Spin A Yarn tales, that the replacement is a girl who bears an illusion that makes her look like Lhaeo.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  23:21:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

My mistake... I don't have any info on Lhaeo's replacement. We do know, though, thanks to one of the Spin A Yarn tales, that the replacement is a girl who bears an illusion that makes her look like Lhaeo.

That's why I thought it was canon, besides the info in the reply I quoted. :)

SPEAKING OF Spin a Yarns. Ed! What is WOTC doing with last years! You gave it to them in November!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  00:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:

quote:

GH

I'm positive it's canonical, as Ed & I hatched that back during the plotting and prewriting of Lands of Intrigue. We needed someone to be Lhaeo while he spent the next year assembling an army as the returning Crown Prince Haedrak.

And yes, Haedrak as Lhaeo let people believe whatever they wished about him and El, so rumors flew like flies around a zulkir...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  01:33:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed replies to Sarelle:

Hi! Your point about pleasing male-gamer readers with portraying only female characters as bisexual or homosexual is a good one. I suspect sales (and the attitudes of superiors, or their reactions to any consumer complaints) are the ultimate determinants. Down here in the trenches, I merely try to show you the Realms, warts and all. :}
Writing the Avatar modules was frustrating because I had to make turnovers before any of the novels were finished, and only had plot outlines to work from (and the novels were changing markedly, week after week, and went on changing long after my module-writing was done). Much of what you see in the published modules (such as Castle Kilgrave, and all of the details of Adon, Cyric, Kelemvor, and Midnight) isn’t my writing, and I first saw much of that text when everyone else who bought the module did. So I DIDN’T translate the main novel characters into AD&D form, except in the most crude and preliminary manner. Someone did, yes, but it wasn’t me.
What I ultimately did was deliberately write way more text than would ever fit in the three modules, generating dozens of ‘colour’ NPC encounters and lore, in hopes that these elements could be cherry-picked and hung around the final module plot. I sent this all in to TSR, and then just had to wait and see: my work was done, and as a non-employee, I was largely ‘out of the loop’ from then on.
All modules meant to ‘mirror’ books suffer to a greater or lesser extent from predeterminism (the plot has to go like this, or end up here, no matter what the PCs do), and I was specifically annoyed that Storm, Mourngrym, and other established NPCs had to ‘act out of character’ to serve the plot, and that we saw “Harper troopers” in print (Harper TROOPERS? When did we slide into the American Civil War, exactly?).
However, it’s all water under the bridge now. I didn’t decide there should be three modules covering the Avatar events and grandly tell TSR to publish them, I accepted an assignment to write the trio because someone decided the last one was to be entitled “The Death of Elminster” (yes, that’s how the contract reads) and if anyone was going to kill off Elminster, it was going to be ME.
This was a perfect example of what people call a “learning experience.” Everyone involved learned from it, and most of us learned the hard way (Jeff Grubb used to refer to the whole thing as “the Avatar Vortex” because the project dragged seemingly everyone at TSR into involvement with it, growing as it went). If we ever had to do this again, I’d want the three novels to be written, finished, and ‘set,’ and THEN start concocting modules that adapt the novels for maximum playability, or if that’s not possible due to the fictional story, use the modules to create a side-adventure. The predeterminism coupled with the NPC party (Adon, et al) rising to godhood, plus the existing gods’ avatars striding around blasting each other, makes for an exciting setting but leaves most PCs “in over their heads” and relegated to supporting, rather than heroic, roles.

As for the yuan-ti and sarrukh threat revealed in SERPENT KINGDOMS, I’d say that most “powerful Scaleless Ones” are so used to yuan-ti intrigues that they largely haven’t noticed anything ‘special’ yet, and that the Chosen of Mystra have always thought that a handful of separate, individual sarrukh probably survived, magically preserved or trapped, and so all too easily ascribe mentions of sarrukh sightings or activity as the work of a lone survivor creature, or a powerful wizard who’s animated a dead sarrukh or shapechanged himself or a servitor creature into sarrukh form for some purpose or other, rather than any concerted or real threat.
It’s important to remember that the Chosen are mentally-aging, extremely busy individuals who juggle platters full of multiple projects at all times, and that they can’t be everywhere or ever have much leisure to sit around ‘analyzing intelligence.’ They’re always racing here, there, and everywhere stamping out scores of figurative fires. If they weren’t so overloaded, no PC adventurer would have much to do, right?
(This is why I always chuckle when I read a post online from someone complaining about how the Realms is too loaded down with powerful good guys. Well, powerful enough to keep the powerful bad ones from having blown the entire planet up long ago, yes, but . . .)
And yes, I’d say a “world-weary Elminster” certainly WOULD “jump at the idea that some of the earliest creatures in Toril's history slithered and worked magic once again on Faerûn.” :}

So saith Ed. Oh, you’ve got his mind humming now! I can tell from the tone of his phrasing! You did it, Sarelle! You started something big . . .
As to what, well, we’ll all just have to wait and see.
And yes, Ed confirms the “female Lhaeo,” and also wants you all to know that he, too, wants to know what’s up with the superb Spin A Yarn novella (!) he did this year. He handed it in to Mary-Liz long ago, and she handed it on to the web folks, and . . . silence (thus far) is our stern reward. Grrr.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  02:03:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

And yes, Ed confirms the “female Lhaeo,” and also wants you all to know that he, too, wants to know what’s up with the superb Spin A Yarn novella (!) he did this year. He handed it in to Mary-Liz long ago, and she handed it on to the web folks, and . . . silence (thus far) is our stern reward. Grrr.
love to all,
THO

Perhaps we should knock the doors of the web publishing department at WotC, for a gentle reminder . Or, perhaps those crazy mephits are at work again... .

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  09:58:25  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Lhaeo has a replacement? He is a prince? And of what country? And last, how the heck did I miss this since I haven`t heard about this anywhere!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  11:33:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Lhaeo has a replacement? He is a prince? And of what country? And last, how the heck did I miss this since I haven`t heard about this anywhere!

Lhaeo was a prince of Tethyr, who was smuggled out during the Ten Black Days of Eleint, when Tethyr's monarchy fell. A few years ago, Lhaeo led an army south and reclaimed the throne.

Some of the characters from the AD&D comic helped him, and are now nobles.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  15:22:20  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Lhaeo was a prince of Tethyr, who was smuggled out during the Ten Black Days of Eleint, when Tethyr's monarchy fell. A few years ago, Lhaeo led an army south and reclaimed the throne.

But isn`t the monarch of tethyr this woman called zarandra or something like that?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2005 :  17:36:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

But isn`t the monarch of tethyr this woman called zarandra or something like that?

She's the Queen. He's the King.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000