Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  03:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

Hello again Zandilar, nice to have such an interesting conversation...

Yes it is. It's good to find an environment where this can be discussed without the bigots coming out of the woodwork.

quote:

I agree with that too... and my not so subtle asking questions of Ed was in the interests of seeing if Caladnei and Alusair might have a future together. Whilst Alusair might then safely be assumed to be bisexual (and considering her legendary appetite, poor old Cala might have to put up with her philandering, with both genders), Caladnei could then be placed as a lesbian and given their important place in the realms (at least untill Azoun V grows up) we'll have at least one homosexual couple (well, gay and bi) in the top tier of Realms characters. They'd be rather hard to ignore. Again though, you'd have to manage to get this by WOTC.

I have to wonder about WotC. There's a fair amount of hypocracy in all of this, especially given that they have released two books (complete with adult content warnings) that cover some fairly nasty stuff - particularly the Book of Vile Darkness. So it's okay to talk about the sacrifice of sentient lifeforms, drugs, slavery, and implied necrophillia, but it's not okay to talk about homosexuality? It's not okay even in the context of a loving relationship? By this, we could be lead to believe that WotC thinks that homosexuality is worse than all of those things.

At any rate, I'm interested in exploring a Cormyr where it does happen that Alusair looses her heart to Caladnei. I'm interested in seeing what happens next. Which is why I'm not giving up on a little fan fic I was writing. It needs a heck of a lot of rewriting since I was operating on the assumption that Alusair was a latent bisexual - ie: hadn't come out to herself yet. If it turns out that the fate of most bisexuals in mainstream media is Alusair's fate in cannon, I can rest assured that my own version Realms managed to "go against the grain".

quote:

I can sense your frustration here and i understand completely, but at the end of the day this has come from Ed, meaning well, trying to bring out some diversity in the Realms and explore some more 'mature' themes than WOTC typically allows. (note, i use the term 'mature' loosely, as i don't think alternate sexualities should be hidden from the young - unlike that horrible thinking we hear all the time from certain segments of society, kids just can't be indoctrinated in homosexuality).

Yes, that's always frustrated me. There's so much resistance to educating children about the true diversity of humankind, that it's going to be a tough fight to change things in the future. The problem is, there are still many people who view sexuality as a sin, let alone homosexuality!

quote:

Ed's work has in the past been misunderstood, with lots of allegations of titilation; particularly with his portrayal of the Seven Sisters for instance. But ultimately he's just protraying life as it is for an adult - we live in a sexed world, the Realms is equally as sexed and sexual and Ed wants to show the ways in which it differs from our real world. Understandably, without certain prudish moral values from our own world, sex and sexuality in the Realms is a much more open thing and seen as healthy. There is a tendency amongst the 'moral majority' to think that sex is in some way sinful, wrong or unhealthy, and Ed just wants to show that, for the most part, the inhabitants of the Realms don't think like that.

Yes, I know his intentions are good. Never doubted that. It's just that sometimes I think WotC and their editorial staff are Ed's worst enemies. People level accusations of titilation at Ed, but it's possible the "meaning got lost in the translation". Which is to say that it has never come across in the correct or complete context it's supposed to... And I think, in part, the readers bear some of the blame for this too.

Sometimes even I need to take a step back and remind myself that Abeir-Toril isn't Earth. Other people seem incapable of distinguishing between them. So the correct context is missing.

quote:

On the topic of depiction of sexual attitudes in the media, i do strongly agree with all you've just said about the way in which those character types are used. It's disappointing, but right now that's just the way the media is run. Some shows do manage to change things and portray a bit more and they are all the more memorable and commendable for it. (Queer as Folk for instance, that broke a hell of a lot of TV taboos... There was one particular gay love scene that caused quite a scandel here in the UK, if i remember correctly)

Heh. And the show "The L Word" managed to cause a stir over here when several advertisers withdrew their advertising. I remember being very mad about that. This is Australia! We're supposed to be more laidback and easygoing... what the heck is it with the invasion of the Religious Right here? *sigh*

quote:

Oops... i hope you didn't think i was equating homosexuality with promiscuity in my post? My use of Alusair as an example was because she wears her sexuality on her sleeve and her sex life is more openly portrayed in the Realms than just about any other character. We see her doing her thing, we hear people gossiping about her doing it and we see the effects on the whole KINGDOM of her sexual behaviour. If any character were to be used to explore bisexuality, it would likely be a character like her, whose sexual history is already known to the readers, rather than some other character whose love life is as yet left in the background.

No, not at all. I was just drawing a line between the usual perception that us queer folk are promiscuous and Alusair being used to explore bisexuality. It would be easy to see that this is what is being said, even if it's not. Context is so important, and there's nothing there at the moment to balance Alusair's philandering.

quote:

Which brings me to another interesting point... Love. We haven't seen Alusair in love, as far as i'm aware. She's a character of lust and little emotional attachment. It'd be nice to see her develop a healthy loving relationship with SOMEONE around her, male or female. The same goes for Caladnei, because as you say, Royal Magicians do indeed seem to stay single. The fact that they both lack someone to love, but that they have each other to turn to (for companionship if nothing else) seems quite nice to me.

I agree. This is part of the context missing with Alusair. Love. Azoun IV was very obviously in love with his lady Filfaeril, despite the fact that he was probably still tomcatting about right up until his death. Alusair doesn't have that. She's lust and sexual energy personified, but no one can live totally like that. Love is just such an important thing to most living beings. The only emotions I can actually recall reading about for her are lust, blood lust, and anger.

(WARNING: Spoilers for the short story "When Shadows Come Seeking a Throne")

There Caladnei is, lying impaled on two swords... And Alusair is angry. I assume she's angry because she's frightened of loosing her... Royal Mage. Friend, perhaps. Friendship between them is something we read between the lines, since it's not explicitly shown. They're sparring at the start, and Alusair is pushing Caladnei (probably for very good reasons, if I was in her shoes I would have been too - makes sense to have a Royal Mage who can defend herself). Caladnei disappears, and Alusair practically says to Laspeera "I miss Vangerdahast, because he never told you what he was doing either, but he had this testy way of doing so that somehow reassured you that he had everything under control. I miss that feeling." What does this say about how much she trusts Caladnei (at that point in their relationship)?

So, anyway, it would be really nice to see some softer emotions in our Steel Regent. Just to balance her a little bit. (Remember also, this is in the context of me not having read every novel that features Alusair. )

quote:

The tale of that particular family would be an interesting one, as it is said that their family dwelt in Myth Drannor at one time. Whereabouts are they now, i wonder? Vangey was summoned from outside the kingdom, so where did the blood of Bauerable go after the fall of Myth Drannor?

I'd like to hear more about them too.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  03:42:00  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
I have to wonder about WotC. There's a fair amount of hypocracy in all of this, especially given that they have released two books (complete with adult content warnings) that cover some fairly nasty stuff - particularly the Book of Vile Darkness. So it's okay to talk about the sacrifice of sentient lifeforms, drugs, slavery, and implied necrophillia, but it's not okay to talk about homosexuality? It's not okay even in the context of a loving relationship? By this, we could be lead to believe that WotC thinks that homosexuality is worse than all of those things.

Far be it from me to defend WOTC, but I'd like to point out something here.

Yes, I understand you pointing out that the above could be seen as hypocritical. However, one could argue that it's not WOTC believing that "homosexuality is worse than all those things" you described. Rather, WOTC publishes to a society that would rather view a book with all those elements than one that has homosexuality within it.

If WOTC knew they would receive no negative feedback and it would sell books, you'd see your share of homosexual characters within novels/gaming products. The bottom line for the company is $.

quote:

At any rate, I'm interested in exploring a Cormyr where it does happen that Alusair looses her heart to Caladnei. I'm interested in seeing what happens next. Which is why I'm not giving up on a little fan fic I was writing. It needs a heck of a lot of rewriting since I was operating on the assumption that Alusair was a latent bisexual - ie: hadn't come out to herself yet. If it turns out that the fate of most bisexuals in mainstream media is Alusair's fate in cannon, I can rest assured that my own version Realms managed to "go against the grain".

How much of this fan fic do you have done so far? I'd love to hear what you have done so far be it via PM or email. And don't worry, your Faerun campaign is not the only one to go against the grain.

quote:

So, anyway, it would be really nice to see some softer emotions in our Steel Regent.

Most emotional I ever felt towards Alusair was her reaction when she was handed a crown.

quote:

Just to balance her a little bit. (Remember also, this is in the context of me not having read every novel that features Alusair. )

Which ones haven't you read?

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 23 Apr 2005 03:48:25
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  08:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Far be it from me to defend WOTC, but I'd like to point out something here.

Yes, I understand you pointing out that the above could be seen as hypocritical. However, one could argue that it's not WOTC believing that "homosexuality is worse than all those things" you described. Rather, WOTC publishes to a society that would rather view a book with all those elements than one that has homosexuality within it.

If WOTC knew they would receive no negative feedback and it would sell books, you'd see your share of homosexual characters within novels/gaming products. The bottom line for the company is $.

Quite right. I was being rather narrow, but it really is just a symptom of our society. It truely saddens me. (Not that WotC has to think of the bottom line, that society is such that the bottom line for WotC is so... straight and narrow.)

quote:

How much of this fan fic do you have done so far? I'd love to hear what you have done so far be it via PM or email. And don't worry, your Faerun campaign is not the only one to go against the grain.

I've written two about Caladnei and Alusair. The first one is more what we slash authors would refer to as "pre-slash". Happens a ten-day or so after the short story "When Shadows Come Seeking a Throne" (Maybe I should start abbreviating that to WSCSaT since I seem to be typing it a lot. ). It doesn't need major changes, since it's told entirely from Caladnei's point of view (does need proofing and editing). And of course, I don't know if she knows about Alusair. I'm presuming she knows as much as I do, and also that she made the same assumption that I had... Alusair's "Blades" have never mentioned any women amongst their number - always been refered to as "her young men" basically... So unless Alusair had some reason to completely confide in Caladnei, or unless Caladnei saw her actively flirting with a woman at some point and knew it for what it was, or unless Vangey, Lasp, or Filfaeril felt it was something she needed to know, how would Caladnei know? (Now if it came to pass that Caladnei knew about the sexual predilictions of Alusair prior to WSCSaT, then there would need to be changes to a line or two of the story!)

The second one, I got three quarters of the way through before the world changed on me. So now I need to go back and think about what Alusair would do differently given what I now know about her.

When I'm done, I might put them both up on the web. Not sure how well appreciated that would be though. Until they're both done, though, they're my babies and they're not ready to go out into the world yet.

quote:

quote:

So, anyway, it would be really nice to see some softer emotions in our Steel Regent.

Most emotional I ever felt towards Alusair was her reaction when she was handed a crown.

Oh dear. I don't think I've read that. I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty. Unfortunately my mind supplies equal amounts of horror and anger, with her lashing out at whomever it was who handed her the crown.

quote:

quote:

Just to balance her a little bit. (Remember also, this is in the context of me not having read every novel that features Alusair. )

Which ones haven't you read?

Hmm... list of which I have read:

Cormyr: A Novel (not enough Alusair. Too much Tanalasta, whom I wanted to smack at times.)
Beyond the High Road (ditto)
Death of the Dragon (ditto)
The Seige (definitely remember cameos, left book 1 off since I'm sure she wasn't in it at all)
The Sorcerer (cameos)
WSCSaT

So missing: the Horde trilogy, Elminster's Daughter, and any any other books/short stories that I don't know about. (The short story in the Best of Eddie doesn't count here, since no one has read it yet bar Ed and whomever he's let read it and his editors and publisher.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  11:49:44  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Back once again...

quote:
It's good to find an environment where this can be discussed without the bigots coming out of the woodwork.

I'm glad you feel happy talking so freely, because this is by far one of the most interesting converstations i've had on the matter in a while.

quote:

I suppose i have to agree with Sirus Black here, ultimately it's down to what WOTC thinks they can sell to the general public. And for the most part that means the US, because i assume their greatest proportion of sales comes from there. And the US can be PRETTY scary when it comes to moral and/or religious attitudes. I even got preached to in Florida for buying D&D books... apparently that's Satanic. I'd never even heard that opinion before and it frightened me to death that some crazy would just walk up and start yelling at me that what i was doing was a sin and that i'd go to hell.

quote:
At any rate, I'm interested in exploring a Cormyr where it does happen that Alusair looses her heart to Caladnei.

That sounds really nice. I'd love to have a read of that fanfic, if you were intersted in sending it to me (via PM). Of course, given your comments i'll understand if you're not ready to show it to anyone yet, until you've revised your work properly and are satisfied with it.

(As a quick side note, you may want to read Elminster's Daughter before finishing it, as although it doesn't have any particular bearing with regards to Alusair's sexual orientation, it does have some very good character building scenes of her and i certainly found it very illuminating).

quote:
Yes, that's always frustrated me. There's so much resistance to educating children about the true diversity of humankind, that it's going to be a tough fight to change things in the future. The problem is, there are still many people who view sexuality as a sin, let alone homosexuality!

Yeah, don't even get me started on this one. Children's education is the most important tool in counteracting intolerance and bigotry for all different kinds of people, not just homosexuals (or bisexuals). The fact that so many homosexual kids could find themselves in a much easier position when coming to terms with their own feelings and when having to tell friends and family, makes better education reason enough to educate the young, for me. If it really is 1 in 10, you're making a great difference to a lot of people's lives and you'll ease a lot of trauma.

quote:
Heh. And the show "The L Word" managed to cause a stir over here when several advertisers withdrew their advertising. I remember being very mad about that. This is Australia! We're supposed to be more laidback and easygoing... what the heck is it with the invasion of the Religious Right here? *sigh*

I always thought you guys had it liberal and easy, it strikes me as odd there's a growing Religious Right in Oz too.

Was 'The L Word' actually any good? I never saw it as it was never broadcast (to my knowledge) on terrestrial tv in the UK. Was it any good in depicting lesbian life accurately?

quote:
What does this say about how much she trusts Caladnei (at that point in their relationship)?

Hmm, i'd never thought about it like that, i'm going to re-read that... just as soon as my degree finishes and i go back home to where i left my copy of the book!

quote:
So, anyway, it would be really nice to see some softer emotions in our Steel Regent. Just to balance her a little bit. (Remember also, this is in the context of me not having read every novel that features Alusair. )

Well i haven't read the Return of the Archwizards, or the trilogy about the Horde, but otherwise i think i've got all her appearances. And softer emotions don't come easy to this particular woman. It'd be great to see just how she handles it and how she might actually settle down and fall in love.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 23 Apr 2005 11:53:32
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  14:59:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I've written two about Caladnei and Alusair...When I'm done, I might put them both up on the web. Not sure how well appreciated that would be though. Until they're both done, though, they're my babies and they're not ready to go out into the world yet.

I understand.

quote:

Oh dear. I don't think I've read that. I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty. Unfortunately my mind supplies equal amounts of horror and anger, with her lashing out at whomever it was who handed her the crown.

No, if you read Death of the Dragon, the scene at the end of the novel when Alusair reacts to Vangerdahast carrying the crown to her is the one I am recalling. Very powerful scene for this reader.

quote:

So missing: the Horde trilogy, Elminster's Daughter, and any any other books/short stories that I don't know about. (The short story in the Best of Eddie doesn't count here, since no one has read it yet bar Ed and whomever he's let read it and his editors and publisher.)

I haven't read the Horde trilogy either. I highly recommend Elminster's Daughter. That novel was very entertaining.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

SB

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 23 Apr 2005 15:02:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29705 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  17:49:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Only one book of the Empires trilogy (the Horde trilogy, as you call it) was even set in Faerûn. Horselords was way out in the steppes of Kara-Tur, and Dragonwall was set mostly in Shou Lung. Only at the end of that book was the West approached.

The third book, Cormyr, does feature Alusair. However, it's kind of a dry depiction of her. We see why she ran away from home, we see her in battle, and we see her with her dad. I do seem to recall mention of a past male lover, but that was about it for that book and her sexuality.

The Cormyr trilogy is really the best source for a feel on Alusair.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  18:24:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
FYI: title of third book in the Empires (Horde) trilogy: Crusade
It's by Jim (James) Lowder.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  00:59:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, valiant thom, let me soothe thee . . .
behold, more new Realmslore from Ed of the Greenwood himself . . .
Hello, all. Ed makes reply to Chosen of Moradin:

Thanks for the kind words about the Realms, and I hope it continues to entertain you life-long!
I’d love to spill all sorts of details about Merith, but I’m currently writing the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy and some of the juiciest stuff about his character is therefore under NDA. However, I believe FR7 HALL OF HEROES and/or the 2nd Edition FR boxed set are free downloads (please help me here with links or denials, scribes of Candlekeep!), and these both give brief sketches of Merith. He was born in 1161 DR, is the oldest Knight, and my delightful Lady Hooded’s brief character sketch of him appears on Page 14 of the 2004 Questions for Ed Greenwood thread. There’s a very brief note re. his appearance on page 80 of that thread, too, and to that I can add that he’s a tall, black-haired, darkly handsome moon elf with one blue eye (right) and one green eye (left), who can be sarcastic or merrily jest, but is usually a quiet, smiling type (wits always alert and active, just not as loud and gregarious as the human Knights). He’s skilled with a blade (long sword preferred; also carries multiple daggers), and VERY swift to strike if need be (apply whatever 3.5e skills and feats necessary to achieve this in game terms). He’s Jhessail’s husband, has none of the haughtiness of xenophobia some elves (notably sun elves of high birth) exhibit (and finds such behaviour very tiresome), and is the sort of “get along with everyone” character that would have been highly valued in Myth Drannor.
I wish I could say a LOT more, but - - well, ask me again in 2009, after the last Knights novel is published.

So saith Ed. Who has to juggle so many things, so far in the future, that I marvel that he has a brain left at all!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29705 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  03:30:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

However, I believe FR7 HALL OF HEROES and/or the 2nd Edition FR boxed set are free downloads (please help me here with links or denials, scribes of Candlekeep!), and these both give brief sketches of Merith.

Sadly, it appears that neither source is available on the downloads page.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  05:13:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
I do believe that some of the character portraits from Hall of Heroes are available to glimpse online. I'm not sure whether Merith is included though.

I'll check my bookmarks.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

David Maxson
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  07:20:16  Show Profile  Visit David Maxson's Homepage Send David Maxson a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Ahem, any more questions for Ed, regarding REALMSLORE!?
I've one. But before asking I'd like to thank Alaundo for giving me permission to repost my question.

The Hooded One: Would you mind asking Mr. Greenwood if he might compare and contrast the current Third Edition Realms Cosmology with the ideas he put forth for creating a Pantheon in his Down-to-Earth Divinity, One DM’s Design For A Mixed and Matched Mythos article found in the October 1981 issue of Dragon #54?

Does Mr. Greenwood feel the Cosmology as it exists now follows the same basic logic as what he suggested for building pantheons? That is, does the current Cosmology created by Sean Reynolds seem like the ‘next logical step’ after one completes the necessary deity-specific work suggested by the article?

Does he see it as properly "hazy" enough in terms of detail (more precisely, the lack thereof) to allow a DM to grow and develop it as his or her player's actions dictate? Or does Mr. Greenwood see it as perhaps still to rigid, given all the cosmological and pantheonic (is that a word?) lore that has come before?

Would Mr. Greenwood classify Ao as a 'creator deity' as the term is used in his article? And if yes, does he see such a being as impinging too greatly on free will (such as Ao's toying with Elminster prior to expelling him from his extra-dimensional abode or Ao’s meddling with Deities, which in turn causes strife amongst mortals)?

In the article, Mr. Greenwood advises using a Godswar only once, in order to help explain away changes in game rules/rules edition transitions. But with a Godswar event having already occurred in Faerûn, does Mr. Greenwood feel their might be another means of explaining the major cosmological transition (in addition to rules changes) that took place between 2E and 3E beyond the “it’s always been this way” approach Richard Baker, Sean Reynolds, Rob Heinsoo and Skip Williams used?

Or does he feel that approach was correct, given the circumstances?

And lastly has Mr. Greenwood's views and thoughts on building Cosmologies and Pantheons changed much in the intervening years since his article was published? And any advice to give new and old DM’s on how best to work the Realms Cosmology (new or old) into their games?

My sincerest thanks,.

David Maxson

Edited by - David Maxson on 24 Apr 2005 07:24:16
Go to Top of Page

Si
Seeker

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  09:34:11  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
Here's something that's been bugging me for a while, though I fear that part of it might fall under an NDA. If we take the armed forces of Cormyr and Waterdeep as examples (since I know Ed likes specifics in questions) what sort of insignia do they use for Ranks, length of service Marks (if any) and Decorations for valour on their uniforms/armour? I know that these things aren't exactly medieval concepts, but to my mind the Realms is culturally hundreds of years ahead of its technological base. One of my players, after a close encounter with the Watch in Waterdeep (or the 'deepWatch as my players persist in calling them) made the Trenchant observation that a watcher who looks fairly unimpressive, would still get respect from the locals if they had 'the Castle Ward Star' on their cloak/surcoat/wherever.
Oh and I suspect that someone would shout this out loudly if I didn't include it so, Demihuman versions of the same would be much appreciated also.
Many Thanks

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  09:52:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed of the Greenwood, through the always remarkable skill of the Lady Hooded One, already revealed some significant details on the ranking and insignia of the City Watch in Waterdeep back in November 2004. Here's the original post, for easy reference -

quote:
November 24, 2004: Hello, all. Ed says this long-awaited lore reply may be of particular interest to both the Sage of Ann Arbor and the Master Baker:

Ranks of the Waterdeep City Guard and City Watch:

To outsiders, Watchmen come in three sorts: "patrolman" (male) or "patroljan" (female), "captain" (any officer controlling a patrol) and "commander" (any officer of higher rank).

In actual fact, the Watch has the following specific ranks, listed in order from lowly to exalted: blade, sword (equivalent to a sergeant), swordcaptain (patrol leader), rorden (in charge of a Watchpost or barracks, or either five or six patrols), orsar (envoy to guilds, citizen groups, noble families; also serves as prisoner escorts and in honor guards), guardsword (duty head for shifts patrolling the city docks and gates), commander ('officer of the shift'), and watchlord (the heads of the watch, usually three or four officers who hold special titles personally bestowed on them by Piergeiron). The Watch also has special offices (such as jailer, armorer, and horsemaster) that are held in addition to ranks.

To outsiders, the City Guard come in two sorts: "soldier" and "commander" (any officer).

The Guard actually has the following ranks, from lowest to highest: trusty, vigilant (sergeant), shieldlar (commander of a patrol or gauntlet [fighting or duty group, equivalent to what some real-world armies call a "squad"]), aumarr, valabrar, torsin (who make up the majority of VIP escorts, honor guards, and bodyguards), commander (equivalent to a general), and then specific superior ranks, such as Seneschal of Castle Waterdeep, Lord Defender of the Harbor, Lord of the North Towers, Lord of the South Towers, Lord Armorer (who also commands the quartermasters), Lord Hand (officer in charge of training, medical treatment, and liaison with the Watchful Order), and of course Lord's Champion, the personal bodyguard of the Open Lord.

So saith Ed. Who should have laid bare such secrets YEARS ago, this Knight says pointedly, remembering a certain embarrassing situation of mistaken ranks when she was trying to impersonate a member of the City Guard. And where, Master of the Greenwood, are the rank insignia or badges? So that say, player character adventurers can tell the rank of someone they're dueling or infuriating or yes, impersonating?
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  15:40:21  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message
What`s the difference between the city watch and the city guard in waterdeep?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  15:48:52  Show Profile  Visit thom's Homepage Send thom a Private Message
Hmmm...well that's the first time I've ever been 'disappeared' from a forum! Maybe I should change my title to the "Grumpy One" Sorry Alaundo! And my apologies THO, please keep the great lore coming!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  16:05:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
What`s the difference between the city watch and the city guard in waterdeep?
Basically, the City Watch are the domestic police of Waterdeep. They make the arrests of criminal offenders, and they offer aid to passersby who need assistance. They provide directions for lost individuals, help out in the search for loved ones, and are trained to offer basic medical aid until the arrival of a cleric from a local temple. They also make routine patrols of most areas in Waterdeep.

The City Guard on the other hand are the heavily armed and trained people who are employed on a permanent basis by the City Council as fighting troops and guardians when the city itself, or any of its beyond border interests are attacked or threatened. They regularly make road patrols outside the city limits, beyond the walls and occupy garrisons and guardposts along the entirety of Waterdeep's perimeter. The City Guard also double as personal bodyguards for Piergeiron and/or visiting ambassadors and diplomats.

Of course, if Ed or the Lady Hooded One feel that anything more needs to be said, I'm sure we'd all appreciate any extra details that perhaps may not be widely know about either the City Watch or the City Guard of Waterdeep .

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Apr 2005 16:08:16
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5567 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  16:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thom

Hmmm...well that's the first time I've ever been 'disappeared' from a forum! Maybe I should change my title to the "Grumpy One" Sorry Alaundo! And my apologies THO, please keep the great lore coming!

Well met

Oh worry not, thom, t'was certainly nothing personal. I have merely had a clean up this morn (and thus removed thy comment as it would have appeared out of place).

That said, i'll shortly be removing our two posts on the matter just to add further confusion

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  00:44:34  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:

He’s skilled with a blade (long sword preferred; also carries multiple daggers), and VERY swift to strike if need be (apply whatever 3.5e skills and feats necessary to achieve this in game terms).

I guess that would be either Improved Initiative or Blooded, likely Quickdraw, and probably Spring Attack (if he's known for darting in for a strike then out again), and even Flick-of-the-Wrist, if he's been known to draw and strike in the same motion, with complete surprise. Other thoughts?

I'm such a geek.

My Lady THO, from someone who's spent a lot of time over in Europe and seen the easier going culture over there, let me just say that I absolutely agree with Ed about American prudishness. I need only point to a certain Superbowl Halftime Show. I tell you, we yanks have the strangest fascination / aversion, love / hate relationship with nudity in general, breasts in particular.

A lot like sexuality, in fact.

And, I would guess, the reason WotC doesn't deal with mature themes is, as SB put it, because "mature" themes would be too mature for the sexually-screwed up American public. No offense intended, of course. I'm part of that public too.

m
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  01:40:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, Lorelord George Krashos! Well met, and may it someday be in person! (Have no fear of hanky-panky on my part; Ed hath apprised me of thy family state.) Yet I curtsy before one who loves the Realms so deeply that he reads it so keenly, and adds details with such skill and depth . . .
Yes, I kiss ardently, but (as Ed says, when kissing ladies’ hands) unless encouraged further, I stop at the elbow.
Ahem.
As for we Knights of Myth Drannor:
Andrew Dewar (now happily and permanently settled in Japan, where he’s become quite a celebrity as an author and TV personality making unpowered model planes that fly: “paper airplane” gliders that in some cases are quite elaborate 3-D models) was Doust (and later Rathan).
Victor Selby (now a lawyer in Toronto, Ontario, Canada) was Semoor Wolftooth/Jelde Asturien (and later Torm).
You may recall Ed saying on several occasions that we players vote, and that his job is to entertain us, not dictate. As designers (both Andrew and Victor wrote articles that were published in DRAGON), Andrew and Victor correctly felt that the “sweet spot” for play in the AD&D rules of the time (which as far as I can see hasn’t really changed with various editions of the rules since) is so-called mid-level play (character levels 3-12 or 4-12 or whatever). We spent YEARS of real time at quite low levels (everyone under 9th level except NPCs like Dove), but Andrew and Victor felt that, as Ed developed details of the churches their cleric characters were a part of around them, as play continued, that the “right” thing for both characters to do (the decisions the CHARACTERS would have made) was to retire from adventuring, settle down into cloistered church roles, raise their families, and so on. This also allowed them, as players, the ‘fun’ of taking new characters (Torm and Rathan) back up through the “most fun” levels, and allowed Andrew better roleplaying of the religious side of his new character (Rathan).
The rest of we Knights were quite happy with our existing characters, and wanted to pursue the ongoing work (spell research and development, networks of contacts, ever-widening political influence, reforestation projects, and so on) they were individually interested in, so Florin, Merith, Jhessail and Lanseril, et al, continued in play.
And hope to (though ever more sporadically) for the rest of our lives.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:00:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Well met all . . .

My player's characters are newly arrived in Mistledale, late of Cormyr, and the dwarf, one Wulgar Browniefriend (oh is there a story there), is interested in the history of the small town of Glen.

Any information about where the Glen dwarves are from originally, what lies down in the Underdark tunnel beneath the town, or where in the name of Ao they get dragon eggs to sell?

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  02:11:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
KnightErrantJR, nip you down this Chamber of Sages to last year's Questions for Ed Greenwood thread, specifically Page 30, and . . . thy answers await!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Apr 2005 02:12:17
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:14:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Ah, Lorelord George Krashos! Well met, and may it someday be in person! (Have no fear of hanky-panky on my part; Ed hath apprised me of thy family state.) Yet I curtsy before one who loves the Realms so deeply that he reads it so keenly, and adds details with such skill and depth . . .
Yes, I kiss ardently, but (as Ed says, when kissing ladies’ hands) unless encouraged further, I stop at the elbow.
Ahem.

Being from a culture that has no fear of public displays of affection, I can assure you that when (not if) we meet THO, that you'll get more than a polite handshake. Thanks once again for the information - it confirms what I suspected all along and reinforces my own personal beliefs re D&D and that 'sweet spot'.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:19:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Thank ye so much milady . . . and I'm sure Wulgar will thank ye too . . .

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  03:32:31  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Oh, and lady, if ye see Wulgar . . . be gentle with him. Strangely he is smitten easily with fair females of the tall folk. Jhaer Brightsong recently broke his heart due to unrequited love . . .

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2384 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2005 :  04:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Argh! Must find Elminster's Daughter! Is it out in paperback yet?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000