Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2005 :  23:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

He should seriously consider lichdom so that he would never have to take a break

Bah! It would be much more efficient to clone Ed In this way one or two Eds could write for Wizards and the others would reply to Realmslore queries And then we could rule the world! Bwahahahahah!

Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  00:18:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax
Bah! It would be much more efficient to clone Ed In this way one or two Eds could write for Wizards and the others would reply to Realmslore queries And then we could rule the world! Bwahahahahah!

Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself

I like this idea. :) Come here Ed we only need a blood sample and a little bit of hair. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  02:04:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Three brief replies from Ed, this time around:

To kuje31’s “Come here Ed we only need a blood sample and a little bit of hair. :)” - - Um, no. I’ve been told before to ‘stop all that cloning around.’ Now, if you were a pretty girl, my answer might be different . . . ;}

To Lauzoril: much thanks. It’s good to know that the Finnish translation of MAKING OF A MAGE is so good, and I thank you for your time and trouble. (I’m also pleased your mother liked it: hurray! Entertaining non-gamers whenever I can!)
I haven’t the foggiest why they didn’t include an author profile. Very few European edition Realms reprints seem to.

Zandilar, your sharp eyes did not fail you. You did spot a reference to Caladnei in my “After The Dragon” DRAGON ANNUAL article.
As for mental illnesses: they’re treated in all sorts of ways, from driving the “dangerous mad afflicted ones” out into the wilderness to fend for themselves, to ‘taking them in’ to monasteries and temples and giving them a living in return for service (in the gardens, kitchens, privy-cleaning, floor-washing, et al) whilst elaborate cures are attempted (yes, sometimes this means “the crazed-witted” are deliberately experimented on, and indeed not all cures work).
Many ‘slow’ folk, or those who are just ‘a little funny’ (occasional seizures or triggers, as opposed to constantly-dangerous-to-all behaviour) dwell in their communities (“every village has its idiot”), and yes, there are asylums, often called ‘howling keeps’ (because of the loud ravings of the madfolk confined therein, and because of their fortress-like stone construction).
The majority of ‘dangerous or helpless’ madfolk are purchased or captured for sale as sacrifices (or body parts sources) to evil alchemists and priests, or are treated with drugs (usually herbs) in cloistered religious communities of various sorts (monasteries, fortified abbeys, temple-farms, and the like). They are often used as lay servants/workers.

So saith Ed. Onward, deeper into the rich and ever-richer lore of the fabled Forgotten Realms.
Charge! (or, if you prefer: Wheee!)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  02:36:36  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
First, as always, thanks to Ed and The Hooded One for sharing all of this lore and insight into the Realms! And to everyone else for thinking of questions for them to answer, of course. ;-)

My question has to do with the relationship between Mystra and Sehanine Moonbow of the Seldarine, and more important, between their followers and churches. Somewhat of a stab in the dark, but after reading about Aloevan (sp?) of the Ardeep Forest, and the background of Khelben and his Silverstars, it seemed that they might have some sort of special relationship. Am I overanalyzing this?

The wheels started turning on this as I was thinking of a background for an elven cleric of Sehanine who lives in Elventree, and how growing up so close to a major temple to Mystra might have an influence on her faith and practices (not to mention the influence of the Eilistraeeans who were introduced in the War of the Spider Queen novels--but I digress!). In the campaign, there's a temple to Sehanine nearby in the woods of the Elven Court. Anyway, does all of this make sense in the context of official Realmslore?

Thanks in advance, and no rush on the answers to my specific questions--I'm grateful for the torrent of lore that's come from this and last year's threads, and appreciate the time and effort that it must take!

Edited by - Finglas Leaflock on 22 May 2005 02:38:49
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  03:11:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all. Three brief replies from Ed, this time around:

To kuje31’s “Come here Ed we only need a blood sample and a little bit of hair. :)” - - Um, no. I’ve been told before to ‘stop all that cloning around.’ Now, if you were a pretty girl, my answer might be different . . . ;}

Grins.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  07:24:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Have a few questions for Ed for a story I'm working on about the Purple Lady tavern/festhall in Westgate. I looked through FR Adventures, Cloak & Dagger, the FRCS, and the 1e and 2e material but not finding the answers so I thought I'd ask.

1) Who is the proprietor? I don't need stats just info on who it is.... Like what he/she/it looks like... And anything else Ed wants to say about her/him/it. If Ed likes he could also expand this to include others that work at the tavern/festhall. :)

2) What type of entertainment goes on there?

3) What does the building look like? How many floors? Etc.

4) What kind of fare does the place offer. I noticed that it's fare is good/expensive.

5) I figure there is a specific reason why the workers wear purple robes. Care to expand that? :)

6) I guess that's it for now.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  09:34:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

5) I figure there is a specific reason why the workers wear purple robes. Care to expand that? :)

I'm guessing Danilo Thann gave them all the clothes he'd been wearing in Zazesspur.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  15:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met, o The Hooded One!

Here are some questions to the fabled sage Ed(minster) of the Greenwood (who hopefully will bear with my many, many inquiries ;)

First of all, I would like to ask about how guilds operate in Cormyr. As far as I can remember, this subject has been touched only very lightly in Realmslore. How are the guilds organized - is there a local guildmaster in every city? Is there possibly a grandmaster in Suzail for each guild? Do they only operate in cities or also in smaller towns? How many professions have guilds, and which ones? Can they be compared to the guilds of Waterdeep?
Then, how about guild uniforms? I know that James Lowder mentioned a couple of guilds in his novel "Crusade", but I didn´t like the way they were portrayed (with all due respect to mr. Lowder ;)

I am also a bit confused with the title "Herald". You wrote in ´The Code of the Harpers" (quote): "At the bottom of the heraldic hierarchy are the many local Heralds, who dwell all over Faerun. In some cases these Heralds are subjects of the local crown (as in Cormyr) and in some cases they are independent foes or rivals of the authorities". Another quote from the same chapter: "In Cormyr, Heralds are sponsored by the crown, and they bear their title the name of the community they dwell in. The monarch can advance candidates for these posts, but they are formally filled by the Heralds."

Is there a difference between a ´herald´and a ´Herald´ (with a capital H), or are these both spellings correct and mean the same title? Did I understand correctly that all the local Heralds belong to the organization that has split from the Harpers, and thus they are all connected to (and approved by) the High Heralds? Are the High Heralds the only (and supreme) authority who can bestow the title of ´Herald'? Local rulers may only support a candidate to a post, yet they hold no real authority over who will fill this post?

I personally have always seen the Cormyrean Heralds as sort of "aides/servants of the local lords" (and this seems to be supported by the quote above). The Lords are required to "defend the local farms, and dispense the King's Justice".
However, in the Code of the Harpers there is a passage that reads (quote): "All Heralds serve as a diplomatic liaison between nobles within a realm, the governing powers of various kingdoms, and between sages and bards everywhere."
Do the Heralds hold authority over local nobility and War Wizards, then? In cases of a dispute between two nobles, do they turn to the Herald who dwells closest to them (in case they live in rural areas), or the local lord? Is the Herald's authority over all matters concerning nobles greater than that of a local lord in Cormyr? I would guess not, since they are described as "being subjects of the local Crown" . Do the nobles and merchant-lords turn to the Heralds in cases of disputes all over Faerun? How does this work in Waterdeep with the Magisters serving in a similar role? Do they act as judges over commoners at all (or is this under the sole jurisdiction of the local rulers?)

Are there any "lesser" Heralds in Cormyr (serving in rural ares) in addition to those listed in the Code of the Harpers (and other accessories)?
Last question concering the Heralds: do they also bear curved, ornamented horns (at least on ceremonial occasions) in Cormyr?

The local lords and heralds seem to leave few duties for the nobility, so I would like to know if the local nobility has any authority over commoners in rural communities in Cormyr, and what are their duties to the Crown? What is the difference between nobility and the local lords? Is there any rivalry between the noble families and the Heralds?

I am also curious about the fact that none of the local lords in Cormyr seem to come from the Realm's many prominent noble families - why? Are these posts seen by nobility as only fit for "upstarts" who wish to "get their hands dirty with commoner trash", or perhaps the King has always wished to fill these posts with people he can trust (such as ex-Purple Dragons or ex-adventurers)?

I would also like to ask about what kind of authorities govern over the daily lives of rural communities (thorps/hamlets/villages)? Is there usually a village mayor or elder, or perhaps the patrolling Purple Dragons and War Wizards act as "temporary" mayors/judges? Or does the closest local lord hold the supreme authority? For example, do the villagers of the small hamlet of Gorthin turn to the lord of Wheloon in major disputes/troubles, with a mayor or a local nobleman taking care of everyday governing?

If I may be so bold as to make a wish, I would wish that should you be involved in (a possible) region book concerning Cormyr, there would be a complete list of the noble families mentioned so far in Realmslore (with at least a brief write-up on their histories) and also a chapter of Cormyrean heraldry (with illustrated coats-of-arms for the noble families and cities/towns).

I thank thee for your patience, if you ever made it this far ;)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Yet more questions for the Sage and Ed:

Concerning merchant costers and trade routes:

The Guide to the Realms and other sources indicate that trading companies routinely hire experienced adventurers for guard duty on hazardous routes. What would be the expected range of levels for these guards? I'm assuming somewhere between 5-9; is that about right?

Several companies are described as actually engaging in outright attacks on their competitors to drive them away and preserve various exclusive rights to particular trade routes. How prevalent is this, and on what kinds of routes would these kinds of attacks be expected? Again, I'm assuming some of the more isolated routes (along the Surbrin River or the Trade Road between Yartar and Everlund, for example).

I recall seeing somewhere a description of a typical caravan. I believe it listed several wagons, extra mounts, and guards as making up a typical group. Is this accurate?

As usual, thanks for the opportunity to get answers right from the masters!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:52:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

I'm guessing Danilo Thann gave them all the clothes he'd been wearing in Zazesspur.

HAHAH. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:54:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Ed discussed the Heralds in his 04 or 05 thread. If you don't want to wade through those threads you can download his answers in my sig. Those files are Word .DOC's and you use the search feature. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 22 May 2005 16:57:49
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  17:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ed discussed the Heralds in his 04 or 05 thread. If you don't want to wade through those threads you can download his answers in my sig. Those files are Word .DOC's and you use the search feature. :)

Ah, my mistake Thanks, kuje, I will download your files Thank you also for the hard work you have done in compiling them!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  20:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
Ah, many thanks for your reply as always Ed, the Stipend and privileges to which I referred are the ones granted by the 'average' noble family, if there is such a beast. As I think I said in my question, one of my players is playing a 'Name' and is making excellent roleplaying capital out of just how little a famous Name gets him in Waterdeep when the local branch of the family regard you as a bumpkin from the back of beyond.
As an aside, why is the Cormyrean Navy referred to in some products as the Imperial Navy, whither the Empire?

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  01:12:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Asgetrion, Ed replies very swiftly about tallhouses (he’ll polish off your other requests next time):

Tallhouses vary like all other sorts of numerous buildings. Almost all of them are narrow, and have side walls either touching the side walls of adjacent tallhouses or very close to those walls, with minimal distance (or a ‘sidle-alley,’ which is an alleyway too narrow for any sort of handcart or small conveyance to traverse, only beings agile enough to be able to occasionally turn sideways, twist around obstacles such as downspout pipes, and so on) between one tallhouse and the next.
Beyond that, they vary widely. MOST of them have entrances at both back and front (usually a street-level entrance and a ‘duck-down’ (stone steps, down into a little stone-lined landing) entrance into the cellar. MOST of them have outside stairs linking to the upper floors (often via balconies), and these are more often on the ‘back’ of a tallhouse (dropping down into a walled and gated garden) than on the front or street side, but of course SOME tallhouses face directly onto streets at both ends (so there’s no ‘back,’ only two ‘fronts’). Many tallhouses have garbage or laundry chutes and/or common chimneys, passing from the cellar up through the roof, or to a ‘jarra’ (or roofshed; ‘darshield’ is a more Northerly term, used roughly north of a straight line drawn through Amn and the Lake of Dragons). In snow-heavy areas, tallhouses have steep roofs, sometimes with dormers, but in warmer climes they tend to have flat roofs sporting gardens or water cisterns.
Some tallhouses (about 25 percent) have interior flights of stairs (zigzags), but more often they have a spiral central stair (about 40 percent) or no interior stair at all (35 percent).
The layout of interior rooms, and the facilities, depend on climate and use of the particular building. Remember that most toilet facilities are chamberpots or ‘sluice-privies’ (go into the closet or behind the curtain, sit on the throne, flush when done by pouring jugs of water down the hole). Again, in warmer climes, a pull-chain valve may bring wash or flushing water down from the roof cistern.
Some tallhouses are the dwelling of a single person or family, and will have room uses laid out as the owner (or a previous builder or occupant) desires/desired.
The majority of tallhouses (80 percent) are rental properties, and tend to have one tenant (or tenant family) per floor (65 percent of rental tallhouses), or in some cases (15 percent of rental houses) a floor split between two tenants. However, in some cases, as many as eight business offices share a floor - - and in poorer neighborhoods, a floor may be divided into as many as ten or twelve tiny rooms, all rented to different tenants.
In all cases, each tenant will have their own chamberpots and kitchen facilities, or be forced to use a communal outdoor brick oven and/or privies at the end of the back garden. (In the case of tenants who occupy entire floors, cooking tends to be on a back balcony to minimize fire risks and cooking smells, except perhaps in the coldest winter weather, when warmth is desired.)
Think small iron-cauldron wood stoves with iron legs, resting on layers of stones and used to heat surrounding ‘walls’ of stacked stones that can be carried to beds or other rooms to radiate warmth, with said stoves all having metal-cylinder chimneys led through the rooms horizontally (for warmth and to yield a hanging place to dry damp clothing) to windows where shutters can be opened to let out the smoke.

So saith Ed. Arndils and Sembian upcountry estates on the morrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  01:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Yet another question:

In Monsters of the Realms, it mentions that there are quaggoth who have interbred with orcs to create a half-breed race underneath the Evermoors. It says they are much stronger than orcs but slightly weaker than the pure quaggoth race. Are there any stats for these half-breeds? These guys would be a perfect long-term group of opponents for my PC's!
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  09:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Simple question for Ed: What is the ground level, outside diameter of the guard towers in the city wall of Marsember?

I need it to help establish an overall map scale for the city. It seems never to have been included in any published map to date.

For extra credit but not vital: How thick are the walls? Any ideas about the appearance of parapets and crenellation on towers and walls? Do the towers in the Gate House areas (Western Gate and Naval Harbor) differ?

Thanks Ed and THO,

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  18:59:09  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met again, THO!

Warm thanks to you (and also for Ed, of course :) for the answers! Hopefully Ed will also have something to say about my (long list) above. You may ignore all questions about the Heralds, since Ed has answered these in earlier threads (I found the answers, Kuje :)

Again, my warmest thanks to thee, Lady!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  19:05:38  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
can't say I have seen official stats - so feel free to make them up yourself tht way you get the perfect bad guys for yur campaign

cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by Bendal

Yet another question:

In Monsters of the Realms, it mentions that there are quaggoth who have interbred with orcs to create a half-breed race underneath the Evermoors. It says they are much stronger than orcs but slightly weaker than the pure quaggoth race. Are there any stats for these half-breeds? These guys would be a perfect long-term group of opponents for my PC's!

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  19:16:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Well met again, THO!

Warm thanks to you (and also for Ed, of course :) for the answers! Hopefully Ed will also have something to say about my (long list) above. You may ignore all questions about the Heralds, since Ed has answered these in earlier threads (I found the answers, Kuje :)

Again, my warmest thanks to thee, Lady!

Glad you found them. Was just trying to help so Ed didn't have to repeat himself. :) I'm bossy like that, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  22:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
Crazed,

Yes, I kind of figured that's what I'd need to do. Perhaps make them 3HD but without some of the special abilities. I do wonder what to call them, though.

Quorcs? Oggaths?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  00:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Not Quorcs, not unless you're going to make them very tan and give them very big ears

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  02:16:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, fellow scribes. Asgetrion, Ed replies to your other structure questions:

Upcountry Sembian dwellings vary widely, of course, but of the hunting lodges and country estates that have walls, these walls tend most often to be high stone or wood walls around which trees and thorny shrubs have been planted to create tall, impenetrable hedges. Of course, some (due to age, collapse, neglect, adjacent trees, etc.) are readily scaled or penetrated through stream-culverts and gates, and others are not.
Bare wooden palisades are almost unknown (except as ‘emergency fixes’) and ‘blended into the landscape’ (concealed by foliage, and looking like things ‘sorta grew that way’) barriers are the norm.
Some of the oldest ‘highruns’ (compound walls) use earth-bank moats and hills, formerly ‘dry’ and bare but now of course in almost all cases overgrown and in the case of the moats, flooded by snow-melt, rainwater, or springs into wet-moat-like swamp tangles.
It’s important to keep in mind that in most of upcountry Sembia tends to be forested or covered with orchards, with ‘open fields’ small and few. In other words, except when travelling along lanes, these overgrown barriers shouldn’t easily be seen: they’re just part of the general ‘overgrown greenery.’

As for the half-elven ‘arndils,’ almost all of them are of wood or mostly of wood (many are built into hillsides so as to have earth cellars, and thereby acquire some stone stretches of walls due to natural boulders left in place), but almost all of them incorporate living trees, and have roofs covered with earth upon which mosses, flowering herbs, and other plants are grown. The intent is to both blend into the landscape visually, and to be a part of its natural plant life. Many have stone or tile floors (usually flagstones set into dirt), but stone isn’t otherwise all that popular (unlike in dwarven or gnome dwellings). Cooking is often done in an outdoor stone oven handy to, but separated from, an arndil. Again, arndils vary; such a close link with nature isn’t always possible (but will be compensated for, when an arndil can’t be in a forest and doesn’t incorporate living trees as part of the walls, roofs, and furnishings, by furnishing the interior with small lightcatching pools of water and a profusion of green-leafed potted plants, numerous enough to create the feeling of verdant wild growth).

So saith Ed. More essential Realmslore, fellow scribes.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  15:44:19  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bendal

Crazed,

Yes, I kind of figured that's what I'd need to do. Perhaps make them 3HD but without some of the special abilities. I do wonder what to call them, though.

Quorcs? Oggaths?

Orggoths? Orgroths? You may also come up with a completely different type of name.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  15:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
To the Hooded Lady and Ed, again my warmest thanks! This helps me a lot with my all-too-curious players

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  15:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Hopefully Ed will also answer my questions about Cormyrean guilds and local authorities, if only allowed by NDA

Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  01:43:41  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message
I don’t make it here to candlekeep all to often, but was directed here by someone **cough*kuje*cough** suggesting I’d get the best storyline answer from Mr. Greenwood. So, here I am, later then expected, and I apologize if this was asked on my behalf and I missed it.

This question is whether or not Spellfire is an aspect of the body or the soul of the wielder.
We know that spellfire ability is hereditary, so I lean to the side of it being an aspect of the body, although I know this may not be a completely correct assumption.
Here are examples of what I’m asking.
I’m not asking Mr Greenwood for a “ruleing”, I’m interested in the story aspect.

1 A spellfire character dies, and is reincarnated into a different body. Will the new body have the spellfire ability?

2 A dracolich dies, its soul transfers back to it’s phylactery.
Now, the dracolich’s soul is unable to return to its own body and takes over the closest reptilian body. The closest body it has available is a lizardman (is this possible?) that happened to have the spellfire ability.
Will it then grow into a dracolich with spellfire?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  02:35:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. AlacLuin, wonderful questions, will send them to Ed forthwith (replies can take some time, I hope you’re aware: Ed is deep in Deadline Doom right now). However, herewith, Ed replies to Hoondatha’s request for Realms-specific terms of address:

Hoondatha, local slang terms for lad, lass and the like vary widely across the Realms, by age and social class of the speaker as well as by locale. There are WAY too many in use to fully answer your query, and of course they’re constantly changing (see the Waterdeep novel Elaine and I did for a subtle sampling of current Waterdhavian ones).
However, simply “lad” and “lass” are perennially and widely used. Here follow a handful of equivalents (all of them subtly different in connotation or precise definition, of course, or they’d have died out already):

Lad, blade (a young reckless, high-spirited, or pranksome youth, especially noble or wealthy; ‘highcharger’ is another Sword Coast equivalent), jack (also means older male or male servant, as part of a compound word such as ‘doorjack,’ ‘stablejack,’ and so on), fist (someone who’s strong or should be able to help with a physical task), boots (a traveller, usually seeking employment or good fortune), stick

Lass, maid (in many rural areas, ‘maid’ is short for maiden, and means unmarried and presumably virgin young female - - but in most cities, ‘maid’ means young female not obviously married to a male, or accompanied by a male partner, and makes no judgement whatsoever as to virginity or availability), dunlass (young girl, tomboy, girl seen out alone when the speaker thinks she shouldn’t be), hipskirts (polite term for a nice-looking woman, used by either gender wishing to express friendly mild admiration but NOT rudeness or [necessarily, yet] any flirtatious invitation)

Almost all forms of address are REALLY insulting only when combined with other words and tones of voice, and/or context. Lots of folk in the Realms can curse quick colourfully (surprise!) and insults are therefore many and varied (if they survive into the final draft, you’ll really get a sampling early in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, when an angry young noblewoman is assailing a servant with a hot and colourful verbal tirade), but here are a few widely-used general insults:

neck, horse, lout (always applied to a male, to mean someone who behaves rudely, and stupidly, stubbornly, or selfishly; the rough equivalent of ‘sh*thead’ or “a right bastard”)

haunch, dungshill, tornscabbard (always applied to a male, to mean a troublemaker who likes to start fights and/or beat up others, or vandalize, or bully, or play pranks; someone who’s seen as having a mean streak, or to be sadistic)

wench (female in a subservient position, e.g. a servant; insulting only if said to someone nastily, or to a female who’s NOT a servant or subservient [i.e. shouted by a backalley lout at a wealthy lady], or if said to a male)

longclaws (spitfire, bitch or witch, which are also terms used in the Realms, always applied to females of shrewish disposition [hot-tempered and harsh-tongued, or bullying])

rarecrown (as in “a proper rarecrown,” this word means the sort of ‘Mrs. Grundy’ female who likes to control the behaviour of others around her, and pass judgement on everyone, and have such judgements agreed with [or else!])

jackslice (a murderous woman, or one who will get even through violence, either poisoning, or manipulating or deceiving others, including law-keepers, into harming those she dislikes or who’ve disagreed with her; someone dangerous; “an old jackslice” is the Realms term for what rural Europeans a century back would have called “an old witch;” the word “jackslice” derives from someone who literally sliced or tried to use a knife on a male - - or at least on his genitals)

kisscloak (flirt, applied to females; is a term of affection or even admiration, equivalent to “she’s such a tease!”)

winker (lecher, applied to both genders)

kisscock, lickhips, boldshake, daedra (all of these are insulting terms for a slut [in the modern American meaning of a wanton woman] or prostitute; note that there are many, many euphemisms for prostitutes used when one doesn’t want to be really insulting, and that ‘boldshake’ is mild enough to be used freely in mixed company, or not taken as an insult by those who don’t want to feel insulted)

staggers, oldbottle, slurk (drunkard, especially a lazy drunk who does no work or little work, and can be found drunk at all hours; applied to both genders)

spincoin (a two-faced, deceitful person of either gender)

So saith Ed. Fragmentary and brief as it is, this is essential Realmslore [ATTENTION ALL REALMS AUTHORS!]. Somehow I don’t see WotC editors letting “kisscock” into print unaltered, but the others could prove very useful in writing future Realms fiction. I want to emphasize that these are just a small sampling of the many, many terms that Ed’s used in Realmsplay and in various Realms fiction and articles, down the years.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  02:39:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

I don’t make it here to candlekeep all to often, but was directed here by someone **cough*kuje*cough** suggesting I’d get the best storyline answer from Mr. Greenwood. So, here I am, later then expected, and I apologize if this was asked on my behalf and I missed it.

Grins. :)

And nope, I was waiting for you to come and ask since I have a flood of questions Ed hasn't answered. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 25 May 2005 02:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  03:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

2 A dracolich dies, its soul transfers back to it’s phylactery.
Now, the dracolich’s soul is unable to return to its own body and takes over the closest reptilian body. The closest body it has available is a lizardman (is this possible?) that happened to have the spellfire ability.
Will it then grow into a dracolich with spellfire?

I feel SO sorry for your players!

Although, I must admit, I am kinda wondering about the answer myself!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  03:49:24  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
[H]erewith, Ed replies to Hoondatha’s request for Realms-specific terms of address:

Fragmentary and brief as it is, this is essential Realmslore [ATTENTION ALL REALMS AUTHORS!].
Essential Realmslore indeed. *cackle*
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000