Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  21:19:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Thing is, also, we don't know the drow language is related to the elves': it might be a gift from Lolth, for instance.

As I recall Drow and Elven have the same route/source, certainly not a gift from Lolth (though she certainly added some words, and canon is subject to change.

Edited by - Kentinal on 19 Apr 2005 09:06:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  04:12:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed replies to this question from Beowulf: “I'm curious about the atmosphere in Arabel in the days immediately following Gondegal's defeat. Was the city unwillfully placed under Gondegal's lead or did he have local support? What sort of efforts were made following the occupation to root out traitors and/or to supress dissent? Did it involve many folk? What did the common folk of Arabel think of these efforts?”
Here’s Ed:

Beowulf, in those days Arabel was far more lightly ‘held’ by Cormyr, and there were many oldblood families in the city who believed Arabel should be independent once more. Some few of them supported Gondegal at first, but many turned away from supporting him when they saw what others had seen earlier: that no matter how they might chafe under the rule of the Obarskyrs, Gondegal was far worse.
He was a gallant, handsome war-hero, always in the saddle fighting - - and thinking and acting that way. In short, he was a demagogue and tyrant who mentally divided the Realms into those who served him or were his allies, and anyone who hadn’t always, at every turn, obeyed or aided him: a very large group of “everyone else” whom he considered his foes, to be eliminated ruthlessly as opportunities arose. In short, he could be a far worse butcher and swift ignorer of laws and rights than any Obarskyr the folk of Arabel had known. Trials were a waste of time; if he was suspicious of someone or didn’t like something he saw them doing OR IT WAS REPORTED TO HIM THAT THEY’D DONE, he butchered them on sight. And moved on. You can make a populace fear and hate you very quickly that way.
Independence from Cormyr, yes - - but under the heel of Gondegal? No.
That was the general mood among older folk of Arabel. As for the city’s younger malcontents, most of them rallied to Gondegal early on, fell under the spell of his charisma, handsome good looks, tireless energy, bright new ideas and schemes, willingness to listen to opinions, and (for the ladies) prowess in bed, and (so long as they were wise and fortunate enough not to cross him, and learn how swiftly and brutally he could turn on individuals he now thought of as “foes”) stayed with him.
In the aftermath of his disappearance and the sudden collapse that followed, most in Arabel cowered, expecting butchery from Suzail. What they got instead was a strong garrison and street patrols, abundant food and drink, firm orders from newly-arrived Purple Dragon officers to resume their former work and to obey Azoun’s laws . . .and not much public heavy-handedness at all.
This was because Vangerdahast sent in his War Wizards, and some Highknights, to do the ‘rooting out’ of the handful of folk who still wanted to bloodily carve out independence from Cormyr. A few folk were given too much to drink and then spirited away in the wee hours, magically mind-reamed as they sobered up, truths learned and other rebels and traitors identified from their thoughts, and so it continued. Only a few individuals were quietly slain; many were offered new trade or employment opportunities by strangers (Highknights in disguise) and relocated to Suzail or even outside Cormyr, to head their lives in different directions.
To most folk in Arabel, there didn’t really seem to be much retribution at all. Gondegal’s reign ended so abruptly that it now seems more of a dream than anything else.

So saith Ed. And so we Knights found it to be, on our visits to Arabel.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  05:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message

A Question (Okay so it turned into a LOT of Questions) for Ed about Azouns Bastards and other distant legitmate Members of Cormyrs royal family.

Legitimate heirs

If Alusair and Azoun V died who would be the next legitimate air to the throne? Presumably they would back track down Azoun IVs branch of royal family tree until they found a living Heir perhaps a Cousin or even a 2nd cousin of Azoun IV. (Like they did in a movie called "King Ralph" with John Goodman)The Cormyr Royal family is very old (and should be quite large), its been going for over 13 centuries there would have to be heirs to fall back on even if they are outside the Azoun IVs branch of the Royal family

Regarding the Azouns bastards and other distant members of cormyrs royal family.

What are they all up to? Have any of them sided with factions (both inside and outside Cormyr) trying to over throw Azoun IV branch of the family?

Also you mentioned that weddings are different in the realms in that you can have a marriage that lasts for a single day, did Azoun IV or any of his randy ancestors use them to Woe their Romantic conquests "Be Queen/Princess of Cormyr for a day" etc if so where there any children from these "Legitimate one night stands"?

Thanks in advance

PS: Ed just tell the Canadian Tax Department to leave you alone or you'll sic Daurgothoth, "The Creeping Doom" on them

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  07:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
If Alusair and Azoun V died who would be the next legitimate air to the throne? Presumably they would back track down Azoun IVs branch of royal family tree until they found a living Heir perhaps a Cousin or even a 2nd cousin of Azoun IV. (Like they did in a movie called "King Ralph" with John Goodman)The Cormyr Royal family is very old (and should be quite large), its been going for over 13 centuries there would have to be heirs to fall back on even if they are outside the Azoun IVs branch of the Royal family
Having just recently corresponded with the leading expert on such matters, I will channel Alaphondar Emmarask for just a moment:

"The only known, legitimate claimants to the Dragon Throne of Cormyr are Azoun V (the current king) and Alusair (his aunt). Prior to the events of 1344 of Cormyr Reckoning[in what we call [i]Cormyr: A Novel[i]-GT], this group was as large as five--Azoun IV, his daughters Tanalasta and Alusair, and Azoun's cousins Thomdor and Bhereu (both third cousins from the marriage of Princess Pelara, daughter of Dhalmass, to the merchant Myrton Ammaeth). There are a few periods in Cormyr's history when things got murky (the Thronestrife, for instance), but, barring possible exceptions that we know not of--no more than one or two, mindst thou--every legitimate heir of the house Obarskyr for more than a thousand years is accounted for in the royal rolls.

In terms of law, the rule of Cormyr should fall to one of the royal Silver houses (Crownsilver, Truesilver, and Huntsilver, in order of precedence), as these are the families that can trace their origins to relations--by blood or marriage--to Faerlthann Obarskyr and his father Ondeth."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  08:02:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That's why Troy Denning should never have done away with the Sleeping Sword and the Lords Who Sleep. We could always have had a young Obarskyr prince among their number, in 'reserve'.

Of course, if the Obarskyr line did die out in Cormyr, we might see the re-appearance of the line of Vaerom Obarskyr, Faerlthann's brother. He fled Impiltur, banished into exile with his sons, after the defeat of Morlorn "the Usurper" (whom the Obarskyrs in Impiltur had backed and assisted in gaining the throne in hopes of being elevated to the nobility like their cousins across the Inner Sea) and was made less than welcome in the Forest Kingdom when they arrived there. They headed for Westgate and parts south as I recall ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  08:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I dont suppose anyone seen a Obarskyr family tree anywhere? I recall that there was one under the Cormyr entry in the old grey box set but from memmory it only went back 3-5 generations the Obarskyr family must go back at least 13 and probably even 20+ generations

and presuming they used the old an "Heir and spare" practice then there surely must be a large number of Obarskyr family members in other branches of the family. (Unless someones been going around and bumping off these less well known "royals"

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  12:58:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Yeah, I have.

I'll let Garen Thal, the "Keeper of the Lineage", respond if he is of a mind to.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  15:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hang on, Cormyr fans: there's Filfaeril, the reigning Queen, remember? As Dowager Queen she can rule in her own right, though if she remarried and had new kids, I doubt they'd be accepted by the realm as legitimate.
I recall Ed hinting at a GenCon seminar years ago, that there WERE legitimate Obarskyrs tucked away here and there (War Wizards? Highknights? in the Dales?) and that some of them might not even know their true heritage ( = best way of hiding them).
THO? Garen Thal?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  16:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
The full Obarskyr family tree doesn't appear anywhere (not even in the fabled Royal Lineage of Cormyr, because the task is too daunting to even mount), though the later generations do indeed appear in the 1st Edition "Old Gray Box." Despite Alaphondar's reticence, there's probably a few legitimate Obarskyr heirs out there, but it's doubtful that they know it.

The need for "an heir and a spare" has come up far more than once over the course of Cormyr's history, and the long reigns of certain kings (such as Draxius) and the short reigns of others (like Andibler) have sheared away much of the "excess" royal blood over the centuries and blurred the expected picture we might have of kings ruling around 20 years each. That may be the average, but some reigns are far shorter, or far longer, and that means that it's not always sons--but sometimes brothers or nephews--that inherit the throne of Cormyr. Fate has a way of keeping things "neat" for the Obarskyrs, but that sometimes leads to a shortage of ready heirs.[For the record, Azoun V is the 36th generation of descent from Faerlthann First-King.]

Regarding Filfaeril: she may rule (that is, exercise the powers of the Crown, as she always did), but she may not reign (be considered Queen in her own right). Should Azoun V reach majority and declare that his grandmother is a crazy witch not to be heeded, she can't really do much of anything about it. She also could not pass her "royalty" on to any children, should the miracle of her conceiving a child past 60 ever happen. Filfaeril is not the "reigning Queen." She is the Dowager Queen, which means "once my husband reigned, but now one of his descendants does, but I may retain my title until another becomes queen." Azoun V reigns over Cormyr now, and Alusair Nacacia rules in his name (though Filfaeril is pretty firmly in charge).

Speaking of Alusair, all of this is why there is so much pressure on her to be married. Azoun is still young, and there is no telling what kind of man he will grow up to be. Alusair is approaching the end of child-bearing years, and it is vital that she be able to produce a member of the royal house before that occurs. Azoun needs at least one royal cousin (in the mode of Bhereu and Thomdor), as an aide, advisor, means of grounding himself, and as a backup heir.

I've probably said too much already, so I'll sit down and shut up now.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:07:27  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
What will Filfaeril's title be once a new queen is crowned?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:43:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, having asked Ed this myself, I can give a definitive answer: she will continue to be "Dowager Queen."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  23:51:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed makes reply to kuje31 in the matter of spellfire during the divine reign of Mystryl:

Hi, kuje. There have always been humans (and possibly members of other magic-using races) whose Talent for the Art manifested in a way akin to sorcery, but rather than allowing them to cast spells (‘shaped’ force of the Weave, if you will, twisted and applied precisely by incantations to produce specific, predictable effects [i.e. spells]), instead resulted in their unleashing ‘raw’ Weave energy (spellfire). This preceded organized magic use, and thus all deities of magic, so there was certainly spellfire in the time of Mystryl.
What there wasn’t was much knowledge, even among wizards and sages specializing in magic, of its existence, or even a name for it. Most spellfire-wielders destroyed themselves spectacularly (or were slain by fearful folk using arrows or flung rocks or whatever) before achieving any sort of mastery or much understanding of their own powers, much less that OTHERS had (or had previously possessed) such abilities. So the ability existed, but was known to very, very few.

So saith Ed. Onward into the bright flames of future Realmslore! Blades out, all! GLORY!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  00:00:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes!
Ed just added this comment:

Blueblade is correct: I DID hint that there were other Obarskyr heirs hidden away, ignorant of their true heritage.
Naughty, naughty me.
I'll have to have The Hooded One spank me for that, when next we meet. :}

Ahem. So saith Ed. I'll try to cajole him into saying more, okay?
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  01:01:22  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Speaking of Alusair, all of this is why there is so much pressure on her to be married. Azoun is still young, and there is no telling what kind of man he will grow up to be. Alusair is approaching the end of child-bearing years, and it is vital that she be able to produce a member of the royal house before that occurs. Azoun needs at least one royal cousin (in the mode of Bhereu and Thomdor), as an aide, advisor, means of grounding himself, and as a backup heir.

As I recall, a PC in one of my low-level FR campaigns took it upon himself to seduce and wed Alusair. It could've happened.

'Course, he was a dwarf with 8 charisma.

But it could've happened.

Speaking of which, would the mighty Ed be able to forecast any *ahem* romances in the Steel Regent's future. . . ones that might end in marriage, anyway?

And -- because the DM read it this way -- is there anything to the assertion that Alusair might be somewhat "open" when it comes to sexual expression? After all, she does spend a fair amount of time with Caladnei, and they'd make a cute couple.

m

Edited by - malchor7 on 20 Apr 2005 01:07:50
Go to Top of Page

HunterOfStorms
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  01:58:30  Show Profile  Visit HunterOfStorms's Homepage Send HunterOfStorms a Private Message
Firstly, a great thank you to Ed for providing the wonderful playground that is the Realms. A playground I've enjoyed for 18 odd years now. Further thanks to THO for serving as such a gracious and excellent conduit to the expanse of Ed's imagination. The nuggets of lore unearthed in this forum provide fascinating and valuable colour and texture to the grand tapestry of the Realms.

Secondly, an actual question for Ed. Trade between nations is clearly an important part of the viability of cities, and the Sea of Fallen Stars (and the associated Reaches etc) provides many of the trade highways, but something I've found to be a little frustrating is the lack of meteorological information for the, admittedly large, area. So, are there any siginificant prevailing wind and sea currents that govern travel on the Sea of Fallen Stars? If they exist, do they change seasonally? Could you, please, give a brief overview of them? More specifically, through the months of Marpenoth - Ches, how adverse are the conditions for sea travel between the east and the west (coasts of Thesk, Impiltur, the Vast, Sembia and finally to Cormyr)?

Ok, so I lied , there are a few questions and many more associated questions that could be asked, but I'm trying not to be too greedy.
Many thanks again for taking the time to add to the wellspring of Realmsian lore.

Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  12:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Question...
If Alusair got herself pregnant somehow, would she be required to marry? Since there'd be absolutely no doubt that the child was hers, and if she actually formally acknowledged her child, I doubt anyone could really question it - even if the father was unknown.

quote:
Originally posted by malchor7
And -- because the DM read it this way -- is there anything to the assertion that Alusair might be somewhat "open" when it comes to sexual expression? After all, she does spend a fair amount of time with Caladnei, and they'd make a cute couple.

That's exactly the direction my mind was going on that, given the acknowledged subtext in "When Shadows Come Seeking A Throne". Of course, it's probably just wishful thinking on my behalf that it would ever become "maintext" and written into Cannon (heck yes, I'm bitter!). I honestly don't see Wizards or Hasbro allowing such a prominant "queer" character in the Realms setting. And even if Alusair does prove to be a shaeda (bisexual), she'll end up in a heterosexual marriage (since it does take a man and a woman to procreate, at least without magical intervention (if that is even possible)) and her bisexuality will just go away or be forgotten and never mentioned again - since that's the way it goes with bisexual females in film and literature (*censors self on any further comment*).

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  15:05:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hunter of Storms, you’re welcome. I love doing this, and I know Ed does, too (though how the poor man manages it never ceases to amaze me, given the schedule he keeps). Replies to your queries must, of course, await his pleasure (I’ve passed them on already, and Ed’s responded with the words: “Groan. Deep In Taxes. Comfort Me, Please. Right Now Would Be Good.”)

so, yes, malchor7, Alusair IS “open” in terms of her sexual expression - - and boy, are you going to see that in the final story Ed’s put into the Best of Eddie collection, due out in mass market this July!

Zandilar, that “mention it discreetly once or twice, but no more” is more or less EXACTLY the editorial caution Ed received after er, springing the Caladnei/Alusair scene on WotC. He also received a stern commandment from another WotC staffer not to ever, ever portray Caladnei as either “wanton or ridiculous.”
We already know, of course, that Alusair is bisexual and (at least at this time in her life) VERY active sexually (and that she uses sex as an outlet for frustrations; see various scenes in DEATH OF THE DRAGON and ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER).
Now, as for what else she consciously uses sex for, again, see the Best of Eddie story. I know Ed would love to explore this character again (we Knights have chatted about what a rousing tale an Alusair, Narnra, Glarasteer, and perhaps Sharantyr ‘team-up’ novel could be).
But there’s this little Knights trilogy to get out of the way first . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  17:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar
Question...
If Alusair got herself pregnant somehow, would she be required to marry? Since there'd be absolutely no doubt that the child was hers, and if she actually formally acknowledged her child, I doubt anyone could really question it - even if the father was unknown.
To my understanding (though I'm pretty sure I understand this fairly well), a "fatherless" child of Alusair would be a legitimate claimant to the throne, for precisely that reason: the child's royal blood is not in question. It would take public statements and proclamations royal to get the nobility to come to terms with the matter (because they need to complain about something, eh?), but there's both royal law (the child would be an "Obarskyr born and raised") and precendent to consider: this has happened once before, with the son of Gantharla First-Queen, called Roderin the Bastard for somewhat obvious reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  17:54:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

(we Knights have chatted about what a rousing tale an Alusair, Narnra, Glarasteer, and perhaps Sharantyr ‘team-up’ novel could be).

That would be a great tale, indeed! Of course, I'm always in favor of seeing more of both Alusair and Glarasteer.

On a similar note, will we see more of any of these characters (other than Alusair, of course) in the Best of Eddie book?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  17:58:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed concurs:

Any child birthed by Alusair would indeed be recognized as a legitimate monarch (over, yes, the inevitable objections of some self-serving nobles) if the parentage was "confirmed" by Caladnei (or Laspeera, if Caladnei doesn't publicly disagree) or by Alaphondar (if Caladnei and/or Laspeera don't publicly disagree) . . . and so on. Things could be tricksy if the various players at the time want them to, but Garen Thal has understood things just right. Also, everyone should remember the clone sample policy.

So saith Ed. And there you have it.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  18:14:32  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:

so, yes, malchor7, Alusair IS “open” in terms of her sexual expression - - and boy, are you going to see that in the final story Ed’s put into the Best of Eddie collection, due out in mass market this July!

Most excellent. I always knew there was more to her than met the eye. [Crack!]

Seriously, though, sexuality's a fascinating thing to explore in fantasy adventure, and something that isn't often addressed (beyond the "usual").

quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Of course, it's probably just wishful thinking on my behalf that it would ever become "maintext" and written into Cannon (heck yes, I'm bitter!). I honestly don't see Wizards or Hasbro allowing such a prominant "queer" character in the Realms setting.

This brings up another question. She's not a "prominent" character, I suppose, but the ex-adventurer, Lady Yanseldara (the current ruler of Elversult, according to the FRCS, entry on the Dragon Coast) is listed as having a "consort" who is also female (Vaerana, I believe, a fellow former adventurer). Could it be that a non-heterosexual character has ended up in canon, or am I reading too much into this?

Always a pleasure,

m

Edited by - malchor7 on 20 Apr 2005 18:17:56
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  18:31:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
No, malchor7, you haven't misread the Yanseldara situation at all. Some things slipped into the Realms got "caught" and changed in the editing, but not all.
Ed wants the Realms to be a richly detailed playground FOR ALL, without (as much as possible) alienating anyone.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  18:55:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

No, malchor7, you haven't misread the Yanseldara situation at all. Some things slipped into the Realms got "caught" and changed in the editing, but not all.

So for every one thing that slips through, probably two or three that editors caught? I'd love to know the ratio. And for one time, I'm glad a WOTC editor missed something.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  19:38:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

oops - erm whats this then? - must have slipped by me whilst I was asleep

is there a link to a product page please?

cheers

Damian
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  19:48:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
I'm not sure if there's a product page yet, Damian, but there's a thread for this book in the Novels section here (Best of the Realms II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood, which is the correct title of the book), and I've posted the ISBN and other details there.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  20:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:

I'm not sure if there's a product page yet, Damian, but there's a thread for this book in the Novels section here (Best of the Realms II: The Stories of Ed Greenwood, which is the correct title of the book), and I've posted the ISBN and other details there.
love,
THO
The product page for Best of Eddie (such as it is) appears here.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  21:20:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by malchor7
This brings up another question. She's not a "prominent" character, I suppose, but the ex-adventurer, Lady Yanseldara (the current ruler of Elversult, according to the FRCS, entry on the Dragon Coast) is listed as having a "consort" who is also female (Vaerana, I believe, a fellow former adventurer). Could it be that a non-heterosexual character has ended up in canon, or am I reading too much into this?

Always a pleasure,

m

If you read some of Ed's NPC's, namely in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, its clear that some of them are bi. :) But we also had this discussion with Ed last year and his replies can be found in the 04 thread....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  22:53:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
In Spellfire, it was stated that outside Elminster's tower, Lhaeo was thought to be a "lisping man-lover from Baldur's Gate." I don't know if that's one that slipped by, or if it's one that was judged safe enough to let pass.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  23:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

In Spellfire, it was stated that outside Elminster's tower, Lhaeo was thought to be a "lisping man-lover from Baldur's Gate." I don't know if that's one that slipped by, or if it's one that was judged safe enough to let pass.

I was wondering about that. Not that it slipped by, but did most people assume that Lhaeo and Elminster were lovers?

EDIT: Most people in the Realms, that is.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis

Edited by - Jindael on 20 Apr 2005 23:33:40
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  23:29:46  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:

quote:

love,
THO
The product page for Best of Eddie (such as it is) appears here.

It has nothing to do with the revered Ed, but does anyone know where to find product pages for the other novels Wizards is releasing this year? Maiden of Pain, for instance, or the other ones by new authors?

Thanks for the info about Yanseldara and Vaerana. My PCs are going to be in for some surprises next time they head that way.

m
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000