Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Rick Day
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  15:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Rick Day's Homepage Send Rick Day a Private Message
My thanks to thoes who posted the timelines and to you Milady Hooded One. IF you could also send my thanks on to Mr. Greenwood for the reading suggestions, and the years of growing up with a home away from home in the Realms.

Three things we live by: truth within our hearts, strength in our hands and fulfilment on our tongues
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  17:42:13  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Ahh..Ahem. Well THO, I've been rereading the Elminster Speaks columns, and the info on Delzimmer is very relevant to my previous inquiry. BTW they are a wonderful gold mine of information! So I want to amend my request(is that possible, I wonder?)

In Delzimmer the 4 noble families mysteriously work together. But, how would it work in a town (Nathlekh in my campaign for example) where the families don't trust each other, and one of the families secretly worships Bane and plans to become the Tyrants of Nathlekh? Is it reasonable to think the 4 houses would only trust ONE house with overall town defense? Tax collection? Day-to-day administration? I could see where fines and labor would be used commonly to handle crimes and ensure a labor pool for "dirty work" around the town ;). I guess if you could give a few realms pointers as to how *you* would set this up - given this specific situation I'd appreciate it!

THO, please pass this amendment on to Ed's stack of replies, perhaps this will make it a little easier for him to give a specific answer on. Thanks, and sorry for not doing my homework earlier!

Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  17:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
I just want to tell Ed of the Greenwood how impressed I am, reading over this thread and the 2004 one. I’ve always thought the Realms felt stunningly “real” to me, full of a depth of detail I’ve only really found in Tolkien elsewhere in fantasy. But after reading Ed’s replies here, two things strike me:
1. The Realms is even deeper and more detailed than TSR/WotC have ever shown us. Entire layers deeper.
2. This Ed guy * cares * about us, his readers and gamers, and is quite willing to sit down and concoct more detail just because one of us, people he’s never met and who aren’t going to pay him anything, asks.
I still can’t quite believe it.
I work in Marketing for a large multinational (don’t ask), and what Mr. Greenwood is doing here at Candlekeep is gold. Just pure gold. Whatever WotC’s paying Ed, he’s doing the equivalent of what about 200 grand (yes, in American greenbacks) buys a corporation annually in customer service/good publicity. I hope they hand him that much, though I strongly suspect they don’t.
I just want to say thanks, Mr. Greenwood. THANK you. I can sit at work all day hammering my keyboard, knowing that at home, in the late evening, I can sit back and get a new little gem of Realmslore to add to the pile.

One happy gamer.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  18:06:57  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:
Perhaps you, O Lovely Hooded Flirt, could share more of your adventures in the City of Splendors, as well...

Sometimes I think THO needs her own section in the Chambers to divuldge her personal tales and experiences in the realms. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  18:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
If that means she'll do it more often, I'm all for it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  19:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar
I work in Marketing for a large multinational (don�t ask), and what Mr. Greenwood is doing here at Candlekeep is gold. Just pure gold. Whatever WotC�s paying Ed, he�s doing the equivalent of what about 200 grand (yes, in American greenbacks) buys a corporation annually in customer service/good publicity. I hope they hand him that much, though I strongly suspect they don�t.
I just want to say thanks, Mr. Greenwood. THANK you. I can sit at work all day hammering my keyboard, knowing that at home, in the late evening, I can sit back and get a new little gem of Realmslore to add to the pile.

One happy gamer.

More impressive still (and he'd never be one to mention it, being the bashful and modest man he is, hiding behind his voluminous beard), Ed (and the Lady Hooded, may her passions never fade) are doing this out of kindness and care (of Realms and its fans), not for any remuneration.

Steven
Who, as always, stands in respectful awe of the man he's proudest to call friend and truly mean it

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  20:48:37  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:
Perhaps you, O Lovely Hooded Flirt, could share more of your adventures in the City of Splendors, as well...

Sometimes I think THO needs her own section in the Chambers to divuldge her personal tales and experiences in the realms. :)

I've remarked before that I'd love to read such tales. :)

Perhaps if the wearer of fishnets and high heels gets enough requests ...

Regards,
RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  21:14:48  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

The Hooded One, blessed of Sune and Sharess:

A question for Master Greenwood.

<snip>

Can you tell us what was wrong with Cylyria of Berdusk while the whole Harper Tribunal / Khelben thing was going on? It seems odd that she'd be laying abed sick, given the sorts of resources at her disposal. Whatever you'd care to / can tell would be of interest to me. Plus, what did El say to Storm to get her to calm down?

I wonder if the NDA cloud has lifted on this... some time ago a asked almost the same question on the board here and at that time nothing much could be divulged...

Who knows... more wine Mistress Hooded?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  00:28:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed replies to malchor7 in the matter of Helm and Mystra entwined (or not):

As for the notion that (the first) Mystra and Helm had once been lovers, it seems likely - - but then again, mortals can almost NEVER know the truth about the deeds, thoughts, and affairs of deities, because they can only ‘go by’ what the various churches, prophets (often self-proclaimed, and also all too often crazies who speak in opposition to the churches), and avatars report - - or far more often, that they hear third- or five-thousand-and-thirty-third-hand of what such parties said or did. And even (or perhaps particularly) gods, and certainly their churches, have agenda reasons for lying or embellishing the truth.
Even if a deity speaks directly to a character, and the character is utterly convinced the deity is speaking truth, that really means nothing more than that a being of divine powers can convince a mortal of just about anything.
All of which means the various tales about Mystra being the lover of Azuth (several times daily), Helm, or Shar, or Bane, or Moander, or the nearest rock MIGHT be true, or might not, but no mortal can be sure.
This, of course, neatly leaves every DM elbow room to sail armadas or ride armies through. First on the left, no pushing or shoving, one to a cross, please. :}

So saith Ed. Ending with a paraphrase of Monty Python’s LIFE OF BRIAN (for those whose wits are rusty just now).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  02:17:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Another question for THO about her gaming group, the fascinating Knights of Myth Drannoor.

Doust Soulwood and Semoor Wolftooth/Jelde Asturien were retired by their players and subsequently Torm and Rathan joined the group. What was there any reason for this? Did the players want to try something new play-wise? Their old characters got too 'powerful'? Just curious is all, because Florin, Merith, Jhessail (I and II) & Lanseril continued on with no line-up change.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  14:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hello, Mr. Ed e Lady Hooded!

It´s a great pleasure for me to stay here now, speaking directly for those that make me wonder and enjoy and live in a very exciting and wonderful Realms for all those years...

Well, I too have a question about the Knights, in truth, about Merith Strongbow. He is a key person in my campaign, and I will be very happy if you give me some hints, tips and ways to roleplay him right. All info will be welcome too, like character level, motivations, history, etc...

In love and admiration,

Yuri "Chosen of Moradin" Peixoto
A brazilian dwarf that fall in love with the Realms some 13 years ago, and is actually lost in Waterdeep.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  18:19:40  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:

All of which means the various tales about Mystra being the lover of Azuth (several times daily), Helm, or Shar, or Bane, or Moander, or the nearest rock MIGHT be true, or might not, but no mortal can be sure.

Those deities, they get around.

Which leads to another question: Other than the late Xvim (is he really late? I don't know), are there a lot of known godlings wandering around, or do those deities always wear rings of protection (not THAT kind) in order to avoid the possibility of divine child support?

m

Edited by - malchor7 on 07 Apr 2005 20:49:33
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  20:00:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Here's a question for Ed, since I noticed this.

How or why did Vhonna Deepdell go from Waterdeep to Ravens Bluff? Also why did she change deities? City of Splendors has her listed as a 12th paladin of Torm while City of Ravens Bluff has her as a 12th level of Helm.

And what is with the small font in City of Ravens Bluff. :) Need a magnifing glass to read this book!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 07 Apr 2005 23:07:17
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  23:34:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

quote:

Those deities, they get around.

Which leads to another question: Other than the late Xvim (is he really late? I don't know), are there a lot of known godlings wandering around, or do those deities always wear rings of protection (not THAT kind) in order to avoid the possibility of divine child support?

m

As I recall, Ed has said in the past that there are herbal brews and simple spells that can serve as contraceptives. And these are gods we're talking about -- I'd imagine that they'd only impregnate a mortal (or become impregnated) if they specifically chose to. Ditto for sex between the gods.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  23:54:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
As I recall, Ed has said in the past that there are herbal brews and simple spells that can serve as contraceptives. And these are gods we're talking about -- I'd imagine that they'd only impregnate a mortal (or become impregnated) if they specifically chose to. Ditto for sex between the gods.

I agree. I mean Ed has said before that the Chosen, as mortals, can't even get with child without Mystra's okay. If she's that "controling" with her Chosen, do you really think she as a deity would allow herself to become with child?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  00:19:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Arthedain, your question to Ed about dueling has already be answered: on Page 74 of the 2004 Questions for Ed Greenwood thread, here in the Chamber of Sages, Ed made reply to The Blind Ranger about this same topic.
As for your question about noble marriages, heeeeeeere’s Ed!:

Hi, Arthedain. Certainly George’s (ahem, Mr. Martin, but he told me call him “George” when I sat drinking and talking with him at the 2003 Worldcon) nobles echo the behaviour of SOME nobles in Faerûn (such as those of Cormyr, Impiltur, and along the Sword Coast. “Arranged” marriages do foster (but not necessarily cement, because some families are quite internally fractious, so married-off daughter X may very well side with her husband’s kin against dear old controlling mummy or daddy) political alliances.
As for the marriage between Lord Mourngrym and Lady Shaerl: the Rowanmantles quite openly and heavy-handedly THREW Shaerl and her sister at the lonely, far-from-Waterdeep Mourngrym in open and obvious hopes of gaining a toehold in the Dales, a move supported by the Crown of Cormyr (read: Vangerdahast) because he saw it as a way of extending Cormyrean influence into the Dales (first: make Tilverton a protectorate, then marry into shared control of Shadowdale, and - - the riches of the Moonsea are within sight and grasp!). Shaerl and Mourngrym both saw what was going on, but a marriage came about because they genuinely fell in love (and Shaerl politely told Vangey, via various War Wizards, to tluin off and get lost; she wants Shadowdale and Cormyr to be firm friends, but she’s having no part of Cormyrean control, paternal and friendly or otherwise). So this was no ‘hidden’ plan: Vangerdahast didn’t want to be subtle - - but he didn’t succeed, either.
Now, as for your “general impression of the nobles and noble families has been that they feast, hunt and enjoy themselves (almost) 24/7 (or 24/10 to be precise), and that the heads of the families don't arrange marriages.”
Not so. The ‘idle rich at play’ stereotype is just that: a stereotype. Someone in most noble families has to be loyal to the ruler, someone has to be good at war (or at least command), and someone has to be a shrewd investor: or the family will fall from grace and power in a hurry, and be exterminated, stripped of noble rank, or reduced to a handful of mere pawns in the hands of others. Many nobles like the wider Realms to THINK they spend all their time hawking, hunting, drinking, dallying with each other’s spouses, attending or throwing debauched revels, and pursuing eccentric hobbies - - but most of them do so a few evenings a week, at most. YOUNG nobles, with nothing to do (because they’re not trusted with any family responsibilities yet, as their elders watch to see what sort of people they’ll turn into), now . . . many of them DO carry on like that all the time (or as much of the time as they can remain conscious and out of custody).
Moreover, in most noble families, even if the head of the family doesn’t arrange a marriage (and they DO, whenever they have offspring not strong-willed enough to stand up to them, or a monarch meddling), their approval is needed in most cases unless the errant son or daughter is willing to elope, flee far beyond reach, and renounce all family wealth and favour if not name and title (and they are often disowned in absentia; when the furious head of the house dies, they may or may not be ‘allowed back in’).
It’s always a mistake to try to relate conditions in the Realms too closely with the past history of our real world, as I’ve said many times before, but yes, in our real world arranged marriages were quite common in our Western World, and ARE STILL quite common in many other modern-day societies (many Muslim societies, most Hindu countries, and many African tribal cultures, to name just the first few that come to mind). So yes, colour yourself unsurprised: such practises are indeed common “in at least some parts of Faerûn.” And yes, you correctly cite a published-early-on example of mine in this regard.

And I believe I’ll add a note or two about your dueling query, too (my Lady Hooded correctly points out my earlier dealings re. this matter): As for your example of an adventurer insulting the wealthy Cormyrean noble: the noble wouldn’t dream of dueling an “uncouth outlander,” and so there’d be no duel unless the noble REALLY wanted personal combat with the adventurer (a rare thing, because usually the noble would see no loss of personal honour in being insulted by an outlander or commoner adventurer, because “they are so uncouth that they can behave no better, eh what?” but to accept a duel against such a lowlife WOULD involve a loss of honour), OR the adventurer was himself (or herself) a Cormyrean noble. Otherwise, no duel: the adventurer would simply be shunned by nobles, and politely told by a War Wizard or herald to behave (or even apologize), or face arrest and fines, exile, the band charter being revoked or their name stricken from it - - or worse.
And yes, if a duel did occur, the norm in the Realms is: no seconds, no lasting family feud (the duel settles all, unless one participant fights unfairly), clergy DO adjudicate (and unfairness therefore results in church edict against/divine disfavour against, the cheater), and normally the challenged has the choice of weapons (I say “normally” because there are limits: missile weapon use is disallowed in duels, as are ambushes and fights between someone who can fly or turn invisible and someone who can’t, someone who can breathe underwater and someone who can’t, and someone WHO HAS or CAN CAST MAGIC and someone who doesn’t or can’t).
In the past I’ve answered queries about wizards dueling each other, but in general: magic-using folk aren’t allowed to duel non-magic-using-folk. “Trials by combat” may be local exceptions, but these are of course very special sorts of duels, not “honour-matches” at all.

Oh, and about the sandbox: you’re very welcome, and it has been and continues to be my great pleasure!

So saith Ed, and there you have it!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  20:05:55  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

I agree. I mean Ed has said before that the Chosen, as mortals, can't even get with child without Mystra's okay. If she's that "controling" with her Chosen, do you really think she as a deity would allow herself to become with child?

Ah, but could divine reproduction be part of an evil deity's plot? Like, could Bane, for instance, find some way to make Mystra's protection fail, and steal away her child as a plan to subsume his hated enemy's portfolio, like seducing a king (oh, say, Azoun) in order to have a half-breed with ties to the throne?

Wow. This seems like Forgotten Realms soap opera.

Total meaningless speculation. Gotta love it.

m
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  21:38:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Ah, but could divine reproduction be part of an evil deity's plot? Like, could Bane, for instance, find some way to make Mystra's protection fail, and steal away her child as a plan to subsume his hated enemy's portfolio, like seducing a king (oh, say, Azoun) in order to have a half-breed with ties to the throne?

Wow. This seems like Forgotten Realms soap opera.

Total meaningless speculation. Gotta love it.

m

I don't see that happening, even if Mystra decided to get horizontal with Bane... She'd know if she became pregnant, and could easily deal with the pregnancy in whatever manner she wished. These are deities -- they have total control over their own bodies.

Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  22:05:22  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:

I don't see that happening, even if Mystra decided to get horizontal with Bane... She'd know if she became pregnant, and could easily deal with the pregnancy in whatever manner she wished. These are deities -- they have total control over their own bodies.

Now THAT would be an interesting child.

And then we get into all this pro-life/pro-choice nonsense. Hmm... the Realms? Getting political?

And like I said: MEANINGLESS speculation.

m

P.S. Unless Ed writes a book about it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  01:07:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, Wooly, you oblige with spankings? WON-derful. My persuasions will forthwith begin.
As for sharing more of my adventures in the City of Splendors . . . well, now. There’s the time I “persuaded” a member of the Guard to share his hippogriff saddle for some ardent bareback riding over the city - - but no, no, this is a FAMILY thread . . . er, isn’t it?
Well, perhaps I could tell you about the time I impersonated Lady R- - - so as to delay her husband returning too soon to a certain office where a certain secret passage could be found.
But then, that adventure’s not completely played out yet, so perhaps instead I’d best talk about the time my character found a new way down into, and back up from, Skullport (well, not exactly NEW; the bodies and bones festooning the sequence of gates sorta betrayed the fact that it had seen heavy use in the past); we found quite an interesting little symbiont along that route, too . . . but I KNOW Ed doesn’t want me to spill the beans about THAT, given his current fiction projects, so . . . hmmm, it seems there’re not that many really interesting tales left about Waterdeep at all. Endless shopping trips, Dock Ward tavern brawls, and wild nobles’ revels undertaken, of course, but those are hardly unique, mmm?
But enough dalliance. I DO have an answer from Ed to impart, to malchor7:

No, there aren’t a lot of known godlings wandering around (the word “known” is key here; there are some divine surprises as yet unrevealed about the Realms, even after all this time), and Wooly Rupert and kuje31 are quite correct: deities only conceive children when they specifically choose to. I’m not so sure that we can say with certainty that conception wouldn’t occur in the case of unions detween deities, where one wanted issue and the other did not. However, a deity must surrender some of their ‘divine spark’ or essence to impart some to offspring, so you can have “true godlings” (immortals), mortals with some special spell-like powers (innate abilities), and normal mortals who just have ‘tuned’ or ‘cherry-picked’ aptitudes (“You, child, shall have a talent for sorcery and the feats Drift Magic and Body Pouch (regardless of the usual prerequisites”).

So saith Ed. Wherefore: It Is So.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  01:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Id be more inclined to believe that theres some "Godlings" from Xvim than Bane (Although I do much prefer the story that Bane had Xvim with a Fallen Paladin than a Demon, as it seems more his style) after all Xvim spent 20 to 30 odd years ruling Westgate.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  02:20:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. The tireless questioner Dargoth, a little over a month back, posed this question: “What occurred in 267 DR and why was it named the Year of Banes Shadow? (I’m assuming it refers to the God Bane)”
Ed of the Greenwood herewith makes reply:

Aside from the Battle of Fallen Trees (noted in the CORMANTHYR sourcebook and in “A Grand History of the Realms” timeline by Brian R. James, hosted here at Candlekeep), the year 267 DR is little remembered in recorded history, though many sages have debated the meaning of its name down the years.
The most popular theory is that it does indeed refer to the god Bane, and specifically to a growth in Bane’s power.
Some say it speaks of Bane’s subsumption of a part of the divine essence of a slain god (perhaps one of the Seven Lost Gods, as part of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul treating with the god fell and wise god Jergal), and although no mortal knows the timing of those events - - or even if they are ‘true,’ as told - - that seems more likely than the second-most-popular theory: that it refers to Bane fathering Iyachtu Xvim, the ‘Godson of Bane’ (for the timing seems wrong for Xvim’s birth, though mortals have no way of knowing if gods can sew seed in mortal wombs and have it ‘wait dormant’ for some years or until they command it to bear fruit in a mortal womb).

So saith Ed. Who (as I’ve noticed a time or two before) takes many words to say: “We can’t say anything for sure.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  03:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Thanks Ed

Ive just thought of another event event that may fit with that years name

In the novel Pool of Twilight its written that at some point after Bane ascension he approached Shar to reveal the future for Bane and his church, Shar brew a potion and Bane went into a trance and wrote down thirteen prophecys (including the coming of the Time of Troubles)in a book that became known as the Oracle of Strife.

The Year of Bane Shadow may well have been the year that Bane made these prophecys, Shadow being a reference to Shars involvement or it could have even meant that Shar used the Shadow weave to create the potion........

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 10 Apr 2005 10:25:46
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  09:41:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
My only comment would be that invariably there are multiple events that could reasonably qualify as "the event spoken of in the name of that year in the roll."

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  10:33:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
AHA, need to do my Knut impression then and keep the tide at bay!

Thanks THO for the update, will wait in hope

Cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Damian, fellow lover of the Realms for faithful years, it grieves me to dash your hopes. Let’s cuddle as I proffer this tallglass of something special from Ed’s cellar, to soothe your inevitable distress. The NDA Ed refers to is connected to more than one potential product, both of them are but shadows on the horizon right now (read: years off), and they are still carved, not in stone, but in quicksand on a stormy beach, with the tide coming in. Rest assured, however, that Ed and I both want to see “a decent update for Eveningstar,” too, and know that we stand at your aside, swords and spells ready.

Ah, but this wine is . . . warming. I’m just going to snuggle in beside Ed, here, and greet more of you on the morrow.
love to all!
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  15:18:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

My only comment would be that invariably there are multiple events that could reasonably qualify as "the event spoken of in the name of that year in the roll."

--Eric

There's a lot of year names that make me wonder... Last week, I was going over the Roll of Years list, putting it into an easier to manipulate format than the original .rtf file (I got it all nice and neat in Excel), and I noticed the Year of Pixies Playing Foul (-109DR). That's one that makes me curious...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Apr 2005 15:21:26
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  18:45:26  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
is there a link to the Roll of Years please?

(unless you can email the excel version?)

cheers

Damian
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  19:09:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

is there a link to the Roll of Years please?
cheers
Damian

Damian,

Try the following link. It's not an excel version. But, I don't recall ever seeing a link using that format.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 10 Apr 2005 19:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  19:58:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just this week put it in an Excel version... Anyone that wants it, e-mail me.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  01:45:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed makes reply to Antareana, in the matter of the god Milil and his clergy:

Antareana, properly detailing the Church of Milil (to say nothing of the god himself) is a huge undertaking, and one I’m afraid I just haven’t time for now (a state of affairs that could well last for the rest of this year, the way things are going).

However, let me share a few of my notes about the Lord of Song and his clergy, as follows:

The best Sorlyn have perfect pitch, good singing voices, and perfect recall. Most Sorlyn have one of those three things (if not in perfection, than ‘very good to superb’), and the vast majority of Sorlyn attend private (priests only) classes of endless repetition, so as to memorize the lyrics of ballads that can be chanted or declaimed as well as sung: both prayers of praise to the Lord of Song, and useful tales (‘favorite standards’) that can earn them a pint or a wedge of cheese in a tavern, such as “When Durathor Rode to Hunt” and “The Ghost Princess.”
Most Sorlyn build up a great repertoire of memorized songs (a grieving son or two, a love song or two, a ‘manly praise’ song, and endless story-ballads) in this manner, and are taught to write them down and teach them to others. They are also expected, as they advance in church rank, to create original songs of praise to Milil.
The Lord of Song shows his favour in two ways: by ‘inspiring’ his faithful with new songs (that he places in their minds in dreams, usually visualized as “written in letters of flowing fire”), and by manifesting music (usually the notes of unseen pipes, chiming bells, or harps) around the favoured person that all can hear.
(Note that an illiterate Sorlyn who receives such inspiration can perfectly write down the “letters of fire” for others to read, without themselves being able to read the script. The inspiration, however, locks the meaning and sound of the words in their minds, forever.)
Sorlyn will be proud to share any music resulting from Milil’s inspiration, and it often enhances their standing in the church immediately. It is always, words and music, ‘burned into the brain’ of the devout individual, and CANNOT be forgotten (even surviving thought-draining attacks and magics, the death and subsequent resurrection of the devout individual, and so on; even if a mind flayer drains it from Erevho the Minstrel, a copy of it remains in Erevho (not just in his brain, but singing in his veins, his soul, and his flesh). Acquiring sufficient marks of Milil’s favour of this sort is the only way to avoid the inevitable forgetfulness and mental confusion of great age (what we modern real-world folks call Alzheimer’s, and dementia, strokes, and just plain forgetfulness). It also (every DM must devise their own modifier) affects Will Saves against feeblemind spells and similar mental attacks.
Manifestations of Milil’s favour begin as brief flourishes of sound (“fanfare chords,” some have called them) spontaneously manifesting when a favoured being says or does something. The being has no control over them, must endure them even when they cause embarrassment or danger, and will be increasingly respected by other Sorlyn who hear them.
Gradually, if an individual acquires more such manifestations (remember, this can only happen because of a character’s deeds, words, and decisions, not by merely faithfully following church dogma or the orders of superiors in the Priesthood of Song), some of them will remain within the favoured being’s head, as “echoes” that can comfort or be used to focus attention for meditation and prayer. They can then be released a second or subsequent times (usually WITHOUT ‘losing them forever,’ though they fade a little with each such release) at the will of the favoured being. In other words, a favoured being can make a gesture of honour towards a newborn child or noble or monarch, and the music they can hear inside their heads will be released (it’s up to them to decide if it will create the desired, or appropriate, effect).

So saith Ed. Ah, Realmslore to make one smile. Thank you, old friend!
And to Melfius: no, Ed hasn’t forgotten your request about Akadi; this comes so swiftly purely because Ed could lay hand swiftly and unerringly on his old Milil notes.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000