Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  17:54:51  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Excellent, any chance you could post what you have please? here, the FR mailing list or FRdming yahoo group would be great

Looking forward to seeing it

cheers

Daian

quote:
Originally posted by Finglas Leaflock

My question is about another elven noble house, the moon elven clan Ammath. I have a character who's a member of that family, and kind of just made up some of their history between the fall of Myth Drannor and 1372, which is when our campaign starts. But I've been

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  18:26:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Now that I've had the time to read the Nierdre lore... Wow, that was some good stuff, nicely detailed. Ed, I am once more impressed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2005 :  18:51:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Now that I've had the time to read the Nierdre lore... Wow, that was some good stuff, nicely detailed. Ed, I am once more impressed.

Wonderful information there on the Nierdre clan. Thank you EG and THO. My fellow Realms fans will enjoy this lore as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  00:46:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. kuje31, you asked about the werepegasus in the entry for Iyrytharna Dantras entry in VOLO’S GUIDE TO CORMYR. Here are Ed’s 1981 notes on such critters:

A werepegasus is a female human or half-elf who can change into a pegasus of white, dun, or blue hue. Aside from these hide colurations, a werepegasus looks like a ‘normal’ pegasus save that its eyes glow (“star-white” hue) in darkness - - and their pupil colour otherwise matches that of their human shape. They have ‘normal’ pegasi abilities and stats. This is an inherited (bloodline) shapechange power, not lycanthropy; no one can be ‘infected’ with it.
The change in shape takes 2d4 minutes in either direction; the shift from human to pegasus shape can split clothing or other equipment that can’t ‘stretch’ (and so is made unclad whenever possible), and the change is often accompanied by releases of body gas (yes, farting) due to instantaneous digestion of whatever either the human or the pegasi form might have in its stomach. The change heals 1 hit point of any current damage (to a maximum of 6 hit points regained every 24 hours), and a werepegasus can shift shape once per hour (in emergencies, a werepegasus can ‘force’ a faster shapechange, but does itself 1d4 hit points of damage in doing so, and/or a more frequent shapechange (twice or more per hour), at a cumulative cost of 1d6 hp, each time (beyond once, in any one-hour period); shapeshifts forced on a werepegasus by hostile magic don’t inflict such damages, but may do other damage according to the nature of the magic applied).

So wrote Ed, all those years ago.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  01:34:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Danka Ed and THO. :) I think my list of questions to be answered is getting narrowed down. :) I know there's still one floating around from last year though but I know how busy Ed is.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rick Day
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  17:20:40  Show Profile  Visit Rick Day's Homepage Send Rick Day a Private Message
My Lady Hooded One,
Thank you for all the time you have taken to keep us in touch with Mr. Greenwood and more importantly the histories that you all have had a hand in creating while playing in the Realms.

I have a question regarding some events in the realms. I have just started a new game with some players who know a little about the Realms, (finaly). I started the game in the North ten years before current timeline. If he or others on this board, could give me some highlights of the events during the ten years between then and current, that are either north specific or that would affect the north. I have looked through all the time lines and there is a lot of skipping of these years. Maybe they were just quiet but this is the realms so I doubt it. :) Thank you.

A humble follower of a great and dynamic story.
P.S. Has Ed ever read the Silmarillion?

Three things we live by: truth within our hearts, strength in our hands and fulfilment on our tongues
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  18:18:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Day
I have a question regarding some events in the realms. I have just started a new game with some players who know a little about the Realms, (finaly). I started the game in the North ten years before current timeline. If he or others on this board, could give me some highlights of the events during the ten years between then and current, that are either north specific or that would affect the north. I have looked through all the time lines and there is a lot of skipping of these years. Maybe they were just quiet but this is the realms so I doubt it. :) Thank you.

Have you looked through George Krashos' North Timeline? It's quite detailed for the last ten years.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  18:56:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Day

My Lady Hooded One,
Thank you for all the time you have taken to keep us in touch with Mr. Greenwood and more importantly the histories that you all have had a hand in creating while playing in the Realms.

A humble follower of a great and dynamic story.
P.S. Has Ed ever read the Silmarillion?

Two older products I'd recommend: FR1 Waterdeep and the North, and The North boxed set.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  01:59:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed replies to Melfius, Kajehase, Kentinal, and Garen Thal in the matter of Waterdeep’s walls and possible sprawl outside the walls. I suspect Eric Boyd will also find this very interesting, given what he just couldn’t fit about Waterdeep into a mere 160 pages.
Ladies, gentlemen, and others, I give you the words of Ed:

Waterdeep is a trading city, and is really crowded only at the height of the summer season; in winter, its population is far less. Please bear in mind that the majority of buildings south of an east-west line drawn from Castle Waterdeep to the City of the Dead have three or more floors of rental rooms or apartments (that is: multiple rooms rented as one) above their street-level shops. Often these are owned by families who use all of the rooms in winter, and in summer put some furniture and belongings into cellar storage and cram themselves into just a few rooms, so as to derive rental income from the rest. We modern real-world people would find this very crowded, but medieval real-world people would not have considered it so (remember, having “your own” bedroom as opposed to sharing a room and even a bed was the norm for a few nobility and for hermits; everyone else slept together for warmth or out of necessity, often in a room that served as both bedchamber and everything else). To a lesser extent than in Waterdeep, this rental of upper floors goes on in almost every city of Faerûn, augmented by sleeping arrangements we often wouldn’t think of, including: Rent stable space? Then you and/or your grooms or servants or wagon-lads sleep up in the hayloft above the stalls rented to your animals, alongside the stable staff (who regularly sleep there, too, along with all the rats, et cetera). Rent carriage-storage space for your wagon? Then you sleep in or under the wagon, unless that particular carriage-shed forbids this practise to cut down on thefts or fires (and they’d better be attached to a rather exclusive inn, or they’ll soon go out of business trying to enact such policies). Stay as guests at a Waterdhavian noble villa? Then your servants sleep in the stable-lofts there, or even on outbuilding roofs if rain isn’t expected. And so on.
With all of that said: no, Waterdeep lacks foulburghs, shanty-towns, or suburban expansion, BY LAW. In addition to the Code Legal set forth in the CITY OF SPLENDORS boxed set, Waterdeep has an ever-increasing body of ‘case law’ in the form of Lords’ decrees, built up with the passing years. One of them forbids any permanent structures outside the city walls, for a distance of half a days’ patrol, except by license of the Lords (who only grant such permission for civic buildings). So the city occupies the entire plateau (note the cliffs along much of its eastern side), and the meadows around are kept clear for caravans to assemble, camp upon arrival (temporarily living there, with no permanent structures allowed), livestock markets, wagon-trains to muster for “straight runs in” to the docks or to dockside warehouses, and so on.
You’ll see a very brief scene in the Waterdeep novel that Elaine and I wrote (if it survives the editing) wherein two nobles go hawking in the meadows early in the morning; later in the day or at evening, this activity would be impossible due to all the Waterdhavians ‘dining out’ (eating picnic meals, often with the families of several friends meeting so the children can run and play while the grown-ups sit, drink and eat, and talk), lovers trysting, folk meeting to talk business (perhaps shady or illicit dealings) in relative privacy, and so on. So Waterdeep uses the open land around it, on a daily basis.
(By the way, the novel also makes clear why the City of the Dead isn’t where the poor sleep - - unless they sleep by day. The gates of the cemetery are always closed from dusk until dawn, when ghosts roam in sufficient profusion to drive most folk mad.)
Caravan camping (and thus, daily prosperity due to caravan trade) plus controlling in some small way who can be a permanent resident of the city, plus providing some security from orc hordes by affording any attacking force as little cover and ready plunder as possible, are the reasons for keeping the meadows clear. Often traffic jams are so severe in the city streets (as I mentioned in a much earlier post here at Candlekeep), that going “out a gate and around” (to another gate, and back in again) is by far the faster way to travel; this plus the need to swiftly being in food from Goldenfields and keep the city from strangling on its own trade . . . all contribute to the decision to prevent Waterdeep sprawling over the surrounding landscape.
Security and caravan-camping will be the considerations that keep cities everywhere else from partially (usually) or wholly (rarely) preventing building outside the walls. Most cities restrict building to some extent, to keep roads clear and water-sources unfouled or accessible, or prevent woods from being entirely hewn down.

So saith Ed. Into the Realmslore files once more, to ably fill up another breach (no, not breeches), with passing apologies to Master Shakespeare . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  09:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks to Ed and THO for answering my question, and for being patient with me.

And that last bit of Waterdeep lore is just perfect (as usual). My players have always teleported just outside the city along a trade road and then walked in through the gates during this last game-winter.

How nice a change it will be to describe them teleporting into the middle of a suprised camp of merchants readying wagons and/or nobles out to enjoy the sun!

Thanks again!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  15:55:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Hey,

Just wanted to say thanks to Ed and THO for answering my question, and for being patient with me.

And that last bit of Waterdeep lore is just perfect (as usual). My players have always teleported just outside the city along a trade road and then walked in through the gates during this last game-winter.

How nice a change it will be to describe them teleporting into the middle of a suprised camp of merchants readying wagons and/or nobles out to enjoy the sun!

Thanks again!

J. Grenemyer

It could be even more interesting if they teleported into the middle of a group discussing something they very much didn't want overheard.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  03:49:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. This time, Ed makes reply to Jerryd about the tropics:

Jerryd, most folk of Faerûn have no PRECISE idea about solar seasonal ‘wanderings’ (in GENERAL, of course, they know about it, especially if they farm, sail the seas, or travel extensively), and therefore there’s no widely-known concept of the arctic circles or the tropics, and no commonly-accepted names for them.
However, that doesn’t mean that certain faiths haven’t studied the sun closely. In Kara-Tur there are names for the tropic parallels (unknown to me), and they are also named (not necessarily venerated or made much of) in some Faerûnian faiths, as follows:
Angharradh: Dieree (Cancer), Luel (Capricorn)
Aumauntor: Resrar (Cancer), Alondar (Capricorn)
Baervan Wildwanderer: Nyarduth (Cancer), Sudduth (Capricorn)
Deep Sashelas: Dieree (Cancer), Luel (Capricorn)
Chauntea: Resm (Cancer), Londim (Capricorn)
Gwaeron Windstrom: Trethen (Cancer), Lonthen (Capricorn)
Horus-Re: Sebrah (Cancer), Umbrah (Capricorn)
Kossuth: Arfane (Cancer), Dloefane (Capricorn)
Labelas Enoreth: Dieree (Cancer), Luel (Capricorn)
Lathander: Resra (Cancer), Alondyr (Capricorn)
Marthammor Duin: Taen (Cancer), Muirtaen (Capricorn)
Mielikki: Trethen (Cancer), Lonthen (Capricorn)
Sejojan Earthcaller: Nyarduth (Cancer), Sudduth (Capricorn)
Sêlune: Treth (Cancer), Lonth (Capricorn)
Shaundakul: Trethen (Cancer), Lonthen (Capricorn)
Sheela Peryroyal: Nyarra (Cancer), Soudrra (Capricorn)
Valkur: Trethen (Cancer), Lonthen (Capricorn)

So saith Ed. Clip this snippet, devout worshippers!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  23:01:44  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
It could be even more interesting if they teleported into the middle of a group discussing something they very much didn't want overheard.

You're right, and that's a good idea. Problem is I've been doing a bit too much 'and you stumble upon so and so relating the facts of a plot to overthrow the Crown'/level appropriate innuendo lately.

I think I'll take the middle road: I will confront my now-Epic PC's with a devious and underhanded plot to steal radishes! Or one to sour the fruits and vegies a competitor is carrying to market via one well placed spell.

After all, it's good to remind Epic characters the game world will still go about it's relatively mundane merchant-squabbling business, regardless of what the likes of gods, demiliches and Shadovar are doing.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  00:42:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

quote:

You're right, and that's a good idea. Problem is I've been doing a bit too much 'and you stumble upon so and so relating the facts of a plot to overthrow the Crown'/level appropriate innuendo lately.

I think I'll take the middle road: I will confront my now-Epic PC's with a devious and underhanded plot to steal radishes! Or one to sour the fruits and vegies a competitor is carrying to market via one well placed spell.

After all, it's good to remind Epic characters the game world will still go about it's relatively mundane merchant-squabbling business, regardless of what the likes of gods, demiliches and Shadovar are doing.

J. Grenemyer

It doesn't have to be a plot to ovethrow the Crown... It could be some merchants planning on ruining another merchant, someone planning to murder someone notable, some irked minor nobles planning on ruining the gala another noble is throwing, two wizards practicing spells, a pair of Unseen discussing who's going to impersonate a particular person, or the son and daughter of two feuding noble houses planning on running away to Cormyr (or the PCs could interrupt the romantic tryst the two were having, and which they didn't want found out).

Lots of fun stuff. It doesn't have to be a big, grand plot -- it just needs to be something to get the PCs attention.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  02:06:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed of the Greenwood makes swift reply to divers Realmslore queries this time, in another ‘grab-bag,’ as follows:

Ethriel, there are indeed “plans or opportunities to use Kymil Nimesin again,” but I can say absolutely nothing about them. :} Sorry. NDA time.

Kajehase, you asked for the yuan-ti word or phrase for “Scaleless Ones.”
In the yuan-ti tongue, the phrase Scaleless Ones is rendered: “ssolo” (from “ssa” [the short-form, everyday word for scales] and “olo” [ones]. However, “ssolo” has itself been altered by centuries of usage into: “ssul.”
I know I was brutal with my own writing to keep it down to the proper length for SK, and we three scaled scribes STILL overwrote a lot, causing Penny Williams among others to wade into our verbiage with the proverbial sharp blade. If it ever made it into the first draft MS (which I doubt), it almost certainly fell right back out again, in The Wounding (ahem: the editing).

malchor7, Scyllua Darkhope isn’t a character I created (I’m guessing Rich Baker or Sean Reynolds), so this is just my guess, but I’D pronounce her name either “SILL-ah” or “SILL-oo-ah,” with the first suggestion being more likely but the second being more grammatically correct (in either case, a Southerner reading that name but not knowing the person and therefore how she pronounces it would render it “SILL-wah”). Of course, most folk of Zhentil Keep, including most Zhents, would speak of her as “the Castellan,” and address her as “High Castellan.” VERY respectfully. :}

Dargoth, Shraevyn’s tomb is detailed in THE SWORD OF THE DALES module (adventure) by Jim Butler (TSR 9484, published in 1995), and definitely isn’t the same as “The Tomb of the Archmage” you were asking about.

So saith Ed. Who promises to deal with malchor’s query about Mystra and Helm , right after I do some more housekeeping over the next few nights.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  03:48:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
or the son and daughter of two feuding noble houses planning on running away to Cormyr

Two star crossed lovers from feuding families? Someone should write a story about that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  04:00:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
or the son and daughter of two feuding noble houses planning on running away to Cormyr

Two star crossed lovers from feuding families? Someone should write a story about that.

Well, it's not the most original idea (after all, Shakespeare or Bacon or whoever was writing that stuff stole it from Greco-Roman mythology), but it could still be used.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Apr 2005 04:02:12
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  05:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Heck, I bet there are cave paintings depicting star-crossed Cro-Magnons and Neatherthals! :)

Anyway, I hate to further burden Ed (talk about a never-ending pile!), but I have a query. I'm doing research right now about the possiblity of sending my players back to the Fall of Myth Drannor (using the great adventure of the same name), and I realised that I didn't know what the "sign of the realm" was.

Maybe I'm just being denser than normal, but I couldn't find any signs of any of the realms of elves (unlike the dwarven realms in Dwarves Deep). Which makes it hard to create rally flags, et al.

So my question is: what were the signs of the various big elven realms? (Specifically, Myth Drannor, Aryvandaar, Miyeritar, and Ilythiir) Also, did Myth Drannor change its pennat (for lack of a better term) when the mythal was raised, or did they keep the old Cormanthyr sign?

All of this old heraldry stuff is really interesting to me, so many thanks for all your help. And, since my group contains a rather expedition-minded chronomancer, it'll all get used.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Arthedain
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  13:49:59  Show Profile  Visit Arthedain's Homepage Send Arthedain a Private Message
Greetings, and a good day to Master Greenwood, Lady Hooded, and all fellow scribes

I have a couple of questions regarding the doings of nobles and the wealthy of the Realms. If the questions are to broad in scope ("all of Faerun"), I would be more than content with some hints on lands like Cormyr, Sembia, the Dalelands and the Moonsea.

Question 1:
I seem to recall that you mentioned G.R.R.Martin as one of the authors that you enjoy reading. I'm halvway through "Storm of Swords" at the moment, and I began wondering if the behaviour of the nobles in Martin's books could used as an inspiration for nobles in Faerun. E.g. the use of sons/dauthers/relatives when forging political alliances. My own campaign is primarily set in the Dalelands (Shadowdale, Daggerdale), and I began wondering if perhaps the marriage between Lord Mourngrym and Lady Shaerl was somehow arranged/endorsed (without their knowledge) by Shaerl's father (Lord Rowanmantle I presume) in some hidden plan.

My general impression of the nobles and noble families has been that they feast, hunt and enjoy themselves (almost) 24/7 (or 24/10 to be precise), and that the heads of the families don't arrange marriages. I must admit my knowledge of history is not as good as it should be, but it is my understanding that arranged marriages where quite common in order to strengthen alliances, to some degree up until around 1900. It would surprise me a bit if such practices aren't common in at least some parts of Faerun. One example: I seem to remember reading about a Thayan "princess" marrying one of the lords of Mulmaster, and I believe it was mentioned something about this marriage furthering Thayan ambitions in the area.

Question 2:
Are there any general rules regarding dueling? I'm thinking of the good old <slap glove in the face>"You and me, outside" kind of duel. If, say, one member of an adventuring band insults a wealthy (but perhaps low level, thus low attack bonus) Cormyrian noble. I figure the noble would want to regain his honor through a duel, but if the adventurer comes in his full plate +5 and a +5 vorpal greatsword the poor noble doesn't stand a chance, even in a "first blood" type of duel. Is it reasonable to assume that a cleric of some clergy (Tyr, or perhaps Siamorphe in some lands) would oversee the duel, and that the duelists would be given a choice of weapons (shortsword or rapier perhaps), and that no magic would be allowed ("no girdles of giant strength and a cloak of displacement here")?

Any reply would be much appreciated, and many thanks for creating such a magnificent "sandbox" =).
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  18:38:23  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

malchor7, Scyllua Darkhope isn’t a character I created (I’m guessing Rich Baker or Sean Reynolds), so this is just my guess, but I’D pronounce her name either “SILL-ah” or “SILL-oo-ah,” with the first suggestion being more likely but the second being more grammatically correct (in either case, a Southerner reading that name but not knowing the person and therefore how she pronounces it would render it “SILL-wah”). Of course, most folk of Zhentil Keep, including most Zhents, would speak of her as “the Castellan,” and address her as “High Castellan.” VERY respectfully. :}

Good deal. Well noted. I guess I'll ask one (or both) of them.

Looking forward to that housekeeping (*ahem*, just because it'll transfer into my question )

m
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  00:34:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Great question, Hoondatha. I'm eager to read Ed's answer for this one.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  00:35:15  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
I know I was brutal with my own writing to keep it down to the proper length for SK, and we three scaled scribes STILL overwrote a lot, causing Penny Williams among others to wade into our verbiage with the proverbial sharp blade. If it ever made it into the first draft MS (which I doubt), it almost certainly fell right back out again, in The Wounding (ahem: the editing).

So that means there's even more information about my favourite evil snake-heads undisclosed as of yet? I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask about them, but can't think of anything specific right now.

So instead I'll ask a question inspired by me having read Stormlight quite recently (very good first half to that book by the way):
One of Storm's dogs are named as "Old Boldblade," does the term boldblade have any particular significance? The reason for the question is that I seem to recall you revealing that "Blade" is a term for a noble in the Moonsea-region. So I was thinking Boldblade perhaps mean something like adventuring noble or something similar.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  00:49:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. It’s high time for some “you’re welcomes” from Ed and from me, so . . . come into this cozy bower where we’ve drinks ready. The bearded smiling thing lounging yonder is Ed, so that means I’m the one wearing the high heels, fishnets, garter belt with little black ribbons, and the smile. Oh, yes: and the wristwatch. I’d feel positively NAKED without it.

To Erik Scott de Bie: invaluable? Great! You’re warmly welcome to the team in harness (I enjoy it most when the editorial whips strike me just * here, * but your mileage may, of course, vary). Please feel free to quiz Ed on all matters. If it’s something about an unfolding project you don’t want all of Candlekeep to know about just yet, just drop a private word to Alaundo, and he’ll call on me, and I’ll in turn rouse the Slumbering Ed for you. Not that he ever DOES sleep, mind you.
Now have a glass of this! Cheers!

kuje, darling, you’ve remembered correctly; there IS one more unanswered query of yours, nestling beside a vintage query from Eric Boyd. Rest assured that Ed WILL get to them all, if he doesn’t die of old age first! No inquiring scribe gets forgotten! And yes, Ed is even busier than usual, just now. I’ll try to cajole him into maintaining a regular schedule of nightly answers, but if I don’t, that’s why. He’s back up to nine projects on the go at once! (Plus, of course, the demands of a real-life day job.)

To all who spoke about Orcus, Ed grins (ah, those changing rules! SUCH a pain to those trying to maintain the artistic versimilitude of a fantasy setting!), but reminds everyone - - with a bow of thanks to Taelohn for the kind words of recognition about Ed’s ELMINSTER IN HELL depiction of Mystra and Asmodeus - - that if the DM properly presents and ‘runs’ such powerful beings, it should be VERY hard for PCs to come to grips with them in a final stand to destroy them, or even to learn much about their true powers and interests. Roleplay, folks, roleplay, and leave the rules as lore to be consulted in downtime.

Damian, fellow lover of the Realms for faithful years, it grieves me to dash your hopes. Let’s cuddle as I proffer this tallglass of something special from Ed’s cellar, to soothe your inevitable distress. The NDA Ed refers to is connected to more than one potential product, both of them are but shadows on the horizon right now (read: years off), and they are still carved, not in stone, but in quicksand on a stormy beach, with the tide coming in. Rest assured, however, that Ed and I both want to see “a decent update for Eveningstar,” too, and know that we stand at your aside, swords and spells ready.

Ah, but this wine is . . . warming. I’m just going to snuggle in beside Ed, here, and greet more of you on the morrow.
love to all!
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  01:20:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
[bkuje, darling, you’ve remembered correctly; there IS one more unanswered query of yours, nestling beside a vintage query from Eric Boyd. Rest assured that Ed WILL get to them all, if he doesn’t die of old age first! No inquiring scribe gets forgotten! And yes, Ed is even busier than usual, just now. I’ll try to cajole him into maintaining a regular schedule of nightly answers, but if I don’t, that’s why. He’s back up to nine projects on the go at once! (Plus, of course, the demands of a real-life day job.)

Aye, no problem! :) I was just making sure. :)

And when I get my NPC file done, which Alando keeps pestering me about!, I'll see what I can do to turn it into a HTML list so Ed can laugh at me that I've spent almost 4 months now making this file. :)

Edit: Now here's a short nay or yay question for Ed. Would Spellfire have existed when Mystryl was a deity? As far as we know there is no published text saying this is so but I, and a few others, see no reason why Spellfire wouldn't have existed even that far back in time.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Apr 2005 08:16:15
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  00:46:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, scribes. There’re still plenty of flagons and nibbles (wherever you can find them, Wooly - - oh, but hamster fur is so SOFT, ummhmmm), so step right in and mingle, whilst I ramble on:

To RevJest (simontrinity): Wooly Rupert is right (thank you, Wooly dearest!): the elf lass Rildarra Nierdre is (among other things) an Eldritch Knight indeed. And while we’re on the topic of the Nierdre lore, a hearty “You’re very welcome!” to Finglas Leaflock, Wooly, and SiriusBlack.

Now as for Paec_djinn: fie, sir! Have this flagon of Ed’s finest and let it be answer enough for you at this time! NDAs have force and weight and meaning, and because of them Ed can tell you NOTHING about the roster of writers for REALMS OF THE ELVES, or even confirm if he’s one of them. Naughty lass in need of a spanking that I am, * I * spilled the beans, and will go so far as to say that Ed has begun his tale, that the characters appearing therein will be of great interest to certain scribes here, and that diligent readers of THE FARTHEST REACH will find in its pages a certain utterance by Storm Silverhand that ‘sets up’ Ed’s story. You’ll learn no more from me just now, I warn you - - but of course, sirrah, you’re welcome to try to persuade me! Here I am, standing defenseless . . .

To Rick Day: you’re welcome, too, and I’ve deeply enjoyed playing in the Realms all these years (even if it does reveal my ever-advancing age). Ed has indeed read THE SILMARILLION (and UNFINISHED TALES, and the LETTERS, and all twelve [!] volumes of THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH).
BTW, the man Ed considers Canada’s greatest living fantasy writer, Guy Gavriel Kay, helped to edit THE SILMARILLION, and Kay’s first trilogy (described by some as “Tolkien meets King Arthur meets some University of Toronto students”), The Fionavar Tapestry, is very “Tolkienesque.” Ed recommends Kay’s later standalone novels TIGANA and A SONG FOR ARBONNE as among the very best fantasy novels ever written.
As for your “events of the last ten years” query, Rick, I think SiriusBlack and Wooly Rupert have taken care of it very well. Much of the North Timeline (available here at Candlekeep, I believe) that Sirius refers to, the work of George Krashos (the man who is THE “go to” Lorelord for both Ed and Eric Boyd, by the way, and who never gets thanked enough, so I’m blowing him a kiss now!), was incorporated into the recent and essential LOST EMPIRES OF FAERUN sourcebook.

Sanishiver, you’re also welcome! Glad you liked the Waterdeep lore (and I can JUST SEE the fun Wooly alluded to, in his posts to you, and your response to him). Watch Ed’s Realmslore column on the WotC website for a little more about Waterdeep, probably at about the time Eric Boyd’s essential Waterdeep tome gets released.

Verghityax, Ed can’t tell you a word about the laws of Baldur’s Gate or Elturel; that’s what NDAs MEAN. He started to detail the legal matters of Secomber for you, but had to interrupt this to toss most of his lawmaking into another Realms project; he’ll get back to you as soon as he can.
He appreciates your offer re. Dungeon 64, but doesn’t want you to get into any legal trouble. It’s certainly no crime for Ed to receive the information (TSR and thus WotC are actually CONTRACTUALLY BOUND to provide him with all Realmslore he requests, and should as a matter of course furnish him with all Realmslore they or a licensor publishes), but neither of us are sure if you (not being an employee of WotC) personally run into any shaky legal ground at any step along the road of providing it (and we both suspect that you might). It’s complicated because of the geography of where you are located and where Ed is located; two sets of laws are involved (and a third, too: the current administration in the United States is aggressively pursuing a policy of attempting, without any legal or moral right whatsoever beyond “hey, we’re THE superpower, and might makes right,” to try to apply American law to the entire Internet, and to all transfers of goods, information, or currency, no matter where they may happen to occur in the world, if “American business interests” are involved - - and regardless of how you define such things, TSR and now WotC and Hasbro ARE American companies, and thus quite properly fit even the narrowest definition of “American business interests”). The point is, it’s a very complicated matter, and Ed doesn’t want to upset anyone or get anyone into legal trouble. It will probably be easiest (though slowest) if Ed gets Paizo to provide him with a copy. How about: we’ll get back to you after we’ve investigated further, okay?

Ah, I see the wine is running low (My! Some of you scribes must be darned near HOLLOW! ) and that it’s high time for meatier Realmslore to be served up, so I’ll usher Ed up to his garret now, and start flogging him to produce more for tomorrow . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  00:59:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Naughty lass in need of a spanking that I am,

I could quite easily be persuaded to oblige you...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  02:18:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

To Erik Scott de Bie: invaluable? Great! You’re warmly welcome to the team in harness (I enjoy it most when the editorial whips strike me just * here, * but your mileage may, of course, vary). Please feel free to quiz Ed on all matters. If it’s something about an unfolding project you don’t want all of Candlekeep to know about just yet, just drop a private word to Alaundo, and he’ll call on me, and I’ll in turn rouse the Slumbering Ed for you. Not that he ever DOES sleep, mind you.
Now have a glass of this! Cheers!

My thanks for the welcome, and the *ahem* offers [bows and ]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  03:53:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

George Krashos (the man who is THE “go to” Lorelord for both Ed and Eric Boyd, by the way, and who never gets thanked enough, so I’m blowing him a kiss now!),

Well, he doesn't seem to appreciate it when any of the rest of us blow him a kiss...

quote:

Sanishiver, you’re also welcome! Glad you liked the Waterdeep lore (and I can JUST SEE the fun Wooly alluded to, in his posts to you, and your response to him). Watch Ed’s Realmslore column on the WotC website for a little more about Waterdeep, probably at about the time Eric Boyd’s essential Waterdeep tome gets released.

Ooh, Waterdhavian lore from Ed himself? I cannot wait!

Perhaps you, O Lovely Hooded Flirt, could share more of your adventures in the City of Splendors, as well...

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  05:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
OK, all of this "lass this" and "lass that" being thrown about by a woman I know must be a little older than I am (and I'm not going to go any further with that, because I frankly *like* Flirtatious Lady Hooded and don't want to meet Angry Vengefull Lady Hooded) got me thinking about age names.

Specifically, there's a bit in Stormlight where Laspeera tells Vangerdahast "You're the only one who can get away with calling me lass." And Elminster has used "lad" and "lass" plenty of times to insult people or remind them how old he is.

So I was wondering if there are Realms-specific versions of lad, lass, and other such words. Also, which are generally insulting (I don't think anyone these days would call someone a "whelp" and not want to be insulting), and which can be but require a specific context?

Many thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  09:54:59  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
The Hooded One, blessed of Sune and Sharess:

A question for Master Greenwood.

Ed,

I asked Master Schend in another thead some questions about the suppliment Cloak & Dagger. He said one of my questions involved a plot of yours. And, "Best to ask the Sage of Colborne over on his own thread."

And so ...

Can you tell us what was wrong with Cylyria of Berdusk while the whole Harper Tribunal / Khelben thing was going on? It seems odd that she'd be laying abed sick, given the sorts of resources at her disposal. Whatever you'd care to / can tell would be of interest to me. Plus, what did El say to Storm to get her to calm down?

Regards,
RJ
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000