Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Moonblades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  21:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Please, someone tell me all you know about elven moonblades, I know queen Amlaruil, of Evermeet has one, nothing more...

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  21:51:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Evermeet novel by Elaine Cunningham shows how they came into existance.

The Evermeet sourcebook has rules on them, as does Magic of Faerun for 3e. Also see Elaine's other novels that are about Arilyn.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  22:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zimeros

Please, someone tell me all you know about elven moonblades, I know queen Amlaruil, of Evermeet has one, nothing more...

Moonblades are fully detailed in the old Elves of Evermeet sourcebook. They were originally forged in Myth Drannor, and are used in the selection of the Kings and Queens of Evermeet. The Moonblades deside if their wielder is worthy of them, which is no doubt why they are so useful in terms of succession. Only elves and half-elves are generally considered, and the wielder must be of good alignment and heroic nature. Evil characters attempting to use a moonblade must save or be slain instantly. Even good and neutral characters whom the blade feels are unworthy can be slain (5d8 damage no save).

In game terms, Moonblades are first forged with a bonus of between +1 and +4, and one special ability. Each wielder can impart a new special ability to the weapon, and each time this is done, a new rune appears on the blade. The potential abilities of Moonblades are greatly varied, and EoE has a list of 20 abilities (including elfshadow), and says that any of the 2nd ed. DMG ones can be used as well. Generally, a Moonblade can potentially do most things that most other magical items can do (fire resistance as ring, blasting as horn, etc., and should be treated carefully.

Moonblades are mightily rare, but there's still some around Myth Drannor, lost hundreds of years ago when the fiends wiped it out. As it stands now, most of them are concentrated at Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  22:38:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zimeros,

Have you checked out this thread? It has some links to information about Moonblades.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  00:55:37  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Queen Amlaruil has a moonblade, does she? Zimeros, where did you find this information?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  04:30:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Zimeros,

Have you checked out this thread? It has some links to information about Moonblades.

Thank you for posting that link, SB -- it keeps me froom having to dig up the link I originally got from that page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  05:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I don't think Queen Amlaruil has a moonblade, does she? Zimeros, where did you find this information?

Well, she has to have a moonblade. Or did you forget the purpose for the creation of the swords?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  05:36:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Thank you for posting that link, SB -- it keeps me froom having to dig up the link I originally got from that page.

No problem. On this subject I have a number of messages saved from EC when she discussed moonblades.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  12:52:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
Well, she has to have a moonblade. Or did you forget the purpose for the creation of the swords?

Umm, that might not be quite right. The king/queen-ship of the elves went to the family with the most remaining moonblades - which is why "Evermeet" had that showdown between the Moonflowers and Amarillis. Once events decided that the Moonflower clan were the 'rightful' royal family of Evermeet and the elves, I would say that there was no requirement for the monarch to be an actual wielder of a moonblade. Sure Zaor was, but Amlaruil's brother had her side of the family's moonblade.

Lamruil inherited Zaor's moonblade but isn't ruler of Evermeet, so the short answer is that no, Amlaruil doesn't wield a moonblade and nor does she (or even anyone) of House Moonflower need to, so as to remain or become king/queen of Evermeet. But hey, YMMV.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 18 Oct 2004 12:53:53
Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  18:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Well, I found it in FRBRASIL forum...

Thank you for help, and, Sirius, I didn't see it before, I think I must to visit more candlekeep... Now, I hope to use one or more moonblades in my next campaingn.

"Gods protect children and drunks"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2004 :  20:04:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now, I hope to use one or more moonblades in my next campaingn.

How are you planning to use them?
Go to Top of Page

Zimeros
Learned Scribe

Brazil
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2004 :  18:51:55  Show Profile  Visit Zimeros's Homepage Send Zimeros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the adventurers will be to Evermeet, with a group of mercenaries of Amn, they will try to stabilish a trade route to Maztica, sailing in elven waters, and Evermeet's navy will atack them, but they're very powerfull(a group of 15 level) and perhaps the elves try to do a standing or something like this, if they come to evermeet they'll find an atack of drows in Leuthispar, and one of the group is a moon elf, he doesn't know it yet, but he's parents were from a noble elven family, and he'll receive a moonblade to fight against drows, the moonblade will be a intelligent magic long sword masterwork +6(magic+4, masterwork+2), and it can use blizzard five times per day.

"Gods protect children and drunks"

Edited by - Zimeros on 22 Oct 2004 19:21:06
Go to Top of Page

Dungeon Moron
Acolyte

41 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  22:06:32  Show Profile Send Dungeon Moron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A different question popped up in my mind, while I was reading Silver Shadows by Elaine.
I am currently focusing on reading most of the elven literature and knowledge there is to be found in the vast Realms library.

First, I read the novel Evermeet, Island of the Elves where Lamruil is found weilding his fathers moonblade, while in Silver Shadows Arylin proclaimes Lamruil as the bladeheir to her blade.

I haven't read part 4 and 5 of the Song & Swords series, as they are being shipped towards me, so I don;t know how this part of the story will continue, but:

Is it possible for an Elf to inherit and wield Two moonblades?
Has there in the history of elves been an Elf (perhaps a last survivor of a house) who carried more than 2 moonblades?

Or will one sword go dormant when the Elf claims his second moonblade?

Anyway, what do the loremaster think? have I missed some bit of info?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  23:38:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know of any case of an elf weilding two moonblades. Considering that it's not easy to weild one, and that two different moonblades would have two different sets of requirements, I don't think it's likely. You'll find a vegan werewolf cleric of Malar before you find an elf weilding two moonblades.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  23:59:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First

Amlaruil Moonflower owns the blade named Tahlshara one of the more powerful ones, in fact being +8 is more powerful then any moonblade can become. Also "Her Daughter, Arilyn, particpated in the recent Elfshadow incident - weilding her mother's moonblade" (just in case Tahlshara is not a moonblade of enhanced power, though I lean toward theory that Tahlshara is a moonblade divinely enhanced above the rules.)

"A moonblade may be passed from one owner to another, usually by generation." Which reduces the chance of any one person owning two of them. There of course is the problem of even inheriting two moonblades is that each moonblade gets to decide if it will accept the new owner. Moonblades are reported to have gone dormant for hunreds of years, others are reported to have killed the elf that touched one (Gold and Drow most at risk for this).

A moonblade might have been made for each clan, I suspect of note except of course Gold and Drow. When first presented many deaths occured and many moonblades lost their magic as well.

I do not see anything that prevents a person owning two or more moonblades. There appears to no adverse effect of owning two or more either. To even recieve one moonblade is odds off, to recieve two of them that are still empowered extremely unlikely

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

First

Amlaruil Moonflower owns the blade named Tahlshara one of the more powerful ones, in fact being +8 is more powerful then any moonblade can become. Also "Her Daughter, Arilyn, particpated in the recent Elfshadow incident - weilding her mother's moonblade" (just in case Tahlshara is not a moonblade of enhanced power, though I lean toward theory that Tahlshara is a moonblade divinely enhanced above the rules.)

"A moonblade may be passed from one owner to another, usually by generation." Which reduces the chance of any one person owning two of them. There of course is the problem of even inheriting two moonblades is that each moonblade gets to decide if it will accept the new owner. Moonblades are reported to have gone dormant for hunreds of years, others are reported to have killed the elf that touched one (Gold and Drow most at risk for this).

A moonblade might have been made for each clan, I suspect of note except of course Gold and Drow. When first presented many deaths occured and many moonblades lost their magic as well.

I do not see anything that prevents a person owning two or more moonblades. There appears to no adverse effect of owning two or more either. To even recieve one moonblade is odds off, to recieve two of them that are still empowered extremely unlikely

Isn't there some line about the acquiring of moonblades in Evermeet: Island of Elves that says that only the noble houses who had members *not* currently wielding moonblades were sent to collect one in some ritual?(the-blast-aplenty-elves one, sorry for the lack of details) That would certainly suggest 2+ moonblades is a no-no.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a Moonblade keeps absorbs a wielders soul when they die (At least until the sword goes dorment) Id say no to wielding 2 Moonblades as you cant split a soul between 2 swords

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:40:06  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

First

Tahlshara is not a Moonblade.
It is one of the three Great Treasures of Evermeet.

The Chalice of Labelas and the Crown of the Sun are the other two.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:46:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A moonblade can be passed on when one is still living, or at least loaned in 2nd Edition, otherwise how could Queen's moonblade be used by daughter. Nothing in_Elves of Evermeet_ Official Game Accessory" indicates soul consumption, the Tree of Life does that. This of course could have been changed.

As for a person weilding a moonblade seeking another (I would need to read _Evermeet: Island of Elves_ to be sure) it would strike me as unlikely one would seek another personal moonblade. However I can see it as a quest that would be set for up and coming members, that indeed a weilder of one moonblade would indeed seek to aquire another for the Elven nation. As the blades appear to be blood linked the odds are very low that there still exist two moonblades that will recognise clan blood of their clan residing in one person.

I however an not the expert on this topic, I just considered very unlikely that any one elf would every be in a position to own two moonblades as a personal weapon. The Queen of Evermeet can claim royal ownership of every moonblade on the Island as treasures of the realm. She might own two moonblades herself, though that was not clear. Also moonblade daughter used might have been lost. Source books provide less details at time then one would perfer,

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:47:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As a Moonblade keeps absorbs a wielders soul when they die (At least until the sword goes dorment) Id say no to wielding 2 Moonblades as you cant split a soul between 2 swords

Sure of that? It was after all possible to split one bit of a soul into several Alias-vessels.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 16 Jan 2006 01:48:04
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:53:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Yes it is one of the three greatest treasures, however a moonblade itself would be considered a great treasure, perhaps the most powerful of them in the top three, perhaps not. I do not know for sure, I do know Amlaruil owns a moonblade, I know she owns Tahlshara (which might be greater then a moonblade).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A moonblade can be passed on when one is still living, or at least loaned in 2nd Edition, otherwise how could Queen's moonblade be used by daughter. Nothing in_Elves of Evermeet_ Official Game Accessory" indicates soul consumption, the Tree of Life does that. This of course could have been changed.

It was in the novel Silver Shadows. If a living moonfighter gives up their moonblade, the power they invested in the sword is lost, because the blade no longer holds their soul.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:56:13  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes it is one of the three greatest treasures, however a moonblade itself would be considered a great treasure, perhaps the most powerful of them in the top three, perhaps not. I do not know for sure, I do know Amlaruil owns a moonblade, I know she owns Tahlshara (which might be greater then a moonblade).

All Moonblades are Longswords.
Tahlshara is a Greatsword. One that is a Divine Artifact of the Seldarine, but it is no Moonblade.
Amlaruil does not own Tahlshara, she is its keeper.

Also so far none of the Moonblades have been given a proper name in canon thus far.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:58:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Sure of that? It was after all possible to split one bit of a soul into several Alias-vessels.

Yeah, but that wasn't a case of something actively laying claim to the entire soul. Weilding a moonblade means your dedicating your entire soul to serve elfkind -- so now that I think about it, a second moonblade would see that, and not allow an existing moonfighter to weild itself.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  02:01:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just because it's a great treasure, it doesn't put it on the same level as a moonblade. These are things that are crafted for the sole purpose of seeing who is fit to rule the elves -- everything they can do is about working for elven interests. Tahlshara may be a +27 sword of OMG! It's nifty!, but that doesn't mean it has anything in common with moonblades -- particularly the grabbing its weilder's soul to power itself.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  02:03:03  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just because it's a great treasure, it doesn't put it on the same level as a moonblade. These are things that are crafted for the sole purpose of seeing who is fit to rule the elves -- everything they can do is about working for elven interests. Tahlshara may be a +27 sword of OMG! It's nifty!, but that doesn't mean it has anything in common with moonblades -- particularly the grabbing its weilder's soul to power itself.

Exactly.

Moonblades are Minor Artifacts, even the blade that determines the ruler of Evermeet.

While Tahlshara is a Major Artifact.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  04:45:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Yeah, but that wasn't a case of something actively laying claim to the entire soul. Weilding a moonblade means your dedicating your entire soul to serve elfkind -- so now that I think about it, a second moonblade would see that, and not allow an existing moonfighter to weild itself.

I would consider it an unlikely occurence as well... in fact, probably impossible.

In Elaine's own words -

"The moonblades present a test not only of strength and courage, but also of resourcefulness and creative problem solving. Over time, a pattern emerges, and a sword acquires a skill set that is almost akin to a personality."

It takes considerable mental discipline for any elf among the hereditary deemed by their blade to be able to wield a moonblade. It is a test of the elf's being and essence. It forms a bond on such an intimate level -- between blade and wielder.

To add another blade into such a relationship actively works to devalue the special nature the moonblades have among the elves of Evermeet.

More from Elaine -

"In other words, the sword and the wielder have to be well matched."

A crucial point to consider again.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jan 2006 04:46:35
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  04:46:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Moonblades
These weapons were created by the smiths of ancient Myth Drannor. They are used in the long process of selecting a ruler for the isle of Evermeet (as described in the novel Elfsong" page 70
nothing here says what type of sword it has to be.

Nor is there an artifact listing for the blades. This of course can have been changed by retcon, such as what might be in Silver Shadows though some authors barely look at or consider the rules and as we know editors seem to miss things as well.

http://myth-drannor.net/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/Moonblades.htm does sort of appear to back up current claims.

"The blade draws on the inherent magic of the elven owner, that part of their being that is a part of the Weave. It is this that becomes part of the blade – forming a new rune magically engraved in the metal of the blade and adding a new ability to the blade. The corollary of this is that when an owner of a moonblade dies they are not allowed to travel to Arvandor, but their essence remains a part of the blade. When the blade finally dies and becomes dormant, the spirits of the elves held within the blade are at last free to travel to Arvandor." Not quite soul stealing, but close I would say.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010503d

"Recently, Elaith was struck by a poisoned blade while recovering an elven artifact from the Knights of the Shield. As he lay dying, his thoughts turned to his infant daughter Azariah and what would happen to her after he died. This unselfish turn of thought caused his moonblade's power to awaken, healing him. He stores the moonblade in a safe place until his daughter is ready to claim it, and while he is still ruthless and evil, he avoids situations in which he might get killed, preferring to hire adventurers to do his dirty work."

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  06:35:13  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Recently, Elaith was struck by a poisoned blade while recovering an elven artifact from the Knights of the Shield. As he lay dying, his thoughts turned to his infant daughter Azariah and what would happen to her after he died. This unselfish turn of thought caused his moonblade's power to awaken, healing him. He stores the moonblade in a safe place until his daughter is ready to claim it, and while he is still ruthless and evil, he avoids situations in which he might get killed, preferring to hire adventurers to do his dirty work."

Too bad she is a Sun Elf and thus will die when she tries to claim the blade.
Since by Canon, every Moonblade wielder has been a Moon Elf.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  15:20:51  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There is an exception to everything.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  17:16:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

There is an exception to everything.

Yeah, but the blades were designed for Moon elves -- hence the name. Only by modifying the blade's magic through an outside source would a gold elf be able to claim a moonblade.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000